Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 1st January 2012

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Gandorf61
[ Display Name History ]

Gandorf61

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,669 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Gandorf61
I really enjoyed Blyaunte's "Understanding Efficiency", it was refreshing to have a different perspective that included efficiency for the sake of having more time for fun things. While I personally would choose a slower method of training where I could do other things like watch a movie at the same time, when a player asks for help they don't need an opinion on how fun something is.

If I ever need advice on how to have “fun,” then I am playing the wrong game.

This is what really hits the point home, help and advice needs to be a place where the best methods are shared, separate from your personal opinion on what is most enjoyable. Fun is a variable depending on the player, statistics and game knowledge is fact that should be the basis for offering advice.

Helm_Lardar
[ Display Name History ]

Helm_Lardar

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Helm Lardar
Dat fake BTS...oh my. You had me bursting out with laughter frequently: very amusing, well written, and just down right enjoyable!

I'm not an efficienado.

Auror
[ Display Name History ]

Auror

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • RSN:Don Auror
A very nice article you did there, Hamtaro +1

darthaddict
[ Display Name History ]

darthaddict

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • RSN:Addict Kevan
  • Clan:RS Addicts

All very interesting stuff, though I'd have to say its the survey that really caught my eye. I had totally forgotten that was going on (I was one of the respondents).

There are 3 more sets of graphs I would love to see if possible. I would like to see the age, education, and opinion of Jagex graphs again, but this time split them up by gender. I would be very interested to see how they compare to each other.

And I had to laugh at the other category in North America. I am guessing that 3% is either from Mexico, or people from Quebec being funny. Since you called it other and not Mexico, I have to wonder if it was a combination of the two? I'd love to know what the breakdown for that 3% was too.

For North America, there was 1 Costa Rican and 1 Mexican. I grouped those from Quebec into Canada.
Graphs

Thanks for those graphs. It amazed me that the average age of males and females has a 10 year difference, which explains the education levels. The survey article was by far my favorite. The fake bts, I know so people would find it funny, but not me. I prefer real information so i skimmed it. The number cruncher article was good. It put a new opinion on a subject that i thought was way over done.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,603 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly
Aww, it was made up. Ah well.

And thanks for the extra graphs. My guess is that the difference in education and and opinion are probably more related to age than to gender (especially the education). I find that getting older changes your world view a bit, especially from say 18-19 on (not sure where it ends, since I am in the middle of that changing view).

And thanks for the explanation on the other category.

Good work :thumbsup:

b6brc9.jpg

Thus
[ Display Name History ]

Thus

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
Loved the survey data. Hated the fake behind the scenes because it will obviously confuse some people and has no basis on anything besides stuff hinted at Runefest.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

I dunno, there are a lot of graphical updates this month... :shock:

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

I dunno, there are a lot of graphical updates this month... :shock:

That's why I found it more weird than entertaining I think. It wasn't true, but then it wasn't completely NOT true either.

wolfmon56
[ Display Name History ]

wolfmon56

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Rum Chata
  • Clan:Reign of Terror
There's 15 Tifers from Wisconsin counting myself. I wanna know who! :D

Crossed_Body
[ Display Name History ]

Crossed_Body

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • RSN:Crossed Body
How credible is the BTS article? I can't tell in the midst of all the parody (which I did enjoy).
Posted Image

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

How credible is the BTS article? I can't tell in the midst of all the parody (which I did enjoy).

It's not meant to be true at all, alg only used some references to real updates here and there.

Crossed_Body
[ Display Name History ]

Crossed_Body

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts

Wrong thread

Talking about the BTS 2012 article published in the times...

Also, I did enjoy reading the "Understanding Efficiency" article. In my opinion, it was necessary as a counter to the other article published recently regarding efficiency.

It's not meant to be true at all, alg only used some references to real updates here and there.

Oh, I see. It was entertaining.
Posted Image

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts
Great to see that all the effort Ham put into the survey is being appreciated.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Helm_Lardar
[ Display Name History ]

Helm_Lardar

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • RSN:Helm Lardar
Oh by the way: with that survey, couldn't the rock/metal group be so big because many people like one but not the other? They aren't the same.

I'm not an efficienado.

Hamtaro
[ Display Name History ]

Hamtaro

Skeleton Shield

• Editorial Panel
  • 1,174 posts
  • RSN:Hamtaro
  • Clan:HamChiP3ace
I grouped all the similar genres together. There's a lot of gray area between the similar ones. For instance, take bands like Breaking Benjamin, System of a Down, and Disturbed. Some would consider them metal and others would consider them hard rock. Obviously, they aren't the same, but appeal to similar audiences for the most part. Granted, a rock band like Radiohead probably wouldn't appeal to someone who listens to death metal, but still.
Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.
Posted Image
"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests
A good times this month. Enjoyed Blyaunte's efficiency article and Hamtaro's survey results which were very interesting. Much better :thumbup:

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
I don't see the merit in Blyaunte's article, in all honesty. Where's the revelation, i.e. promoting something we don't already know? I don't see it as beautifully articulated, eloquent piece of art either.

Crossed_Body
[ Display Name History ]

Crossed_Body

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts

I don't see the merit in Blyaunte's article, in all honesty. Where's the revelation, i.e. promoting something we don't already know? I don't see it as beautifully articulated, eloquent piece of art either.

Well, apparently people didn't know much of that, seeing as the last times article on efficiency was a completely horrid attack on efficient players.
Posted Image

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
Regarding the first article, if possible, could you please post a pie chart of opinion of Jagex for only the players who identified themselves as P2P? Thanks :).
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Hamtaro
[ Display Name History ]

Hamtaro

Skeleton Shield

• Editorial Panel
  • 1,174 posts
  • RSN:Hamtaro
  • Clan:HamChiP3ace

Regarding the first article, if possible, could you please post a pie chart of opinion of Jagex for only the players who identified themselves as P2P? Thanks :).

Posted Image
Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.
Posted Image
"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users