firemaking's curse

turothking

I would say that the net enjoyment gain is thought to be great enough, that the grinding and the fun of the quest balance out.

With this quest, definitely :D

It has *Zaros* lore and it's done by *Mod Ana*. Has to be a great quest :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that the net enjoyment gain is thought to be great enough, that the grinding and the fun of the quest balance out.

Wow you really are objective with your opinions.

What I really hate is that rs stil doesn't give 50% of the time quests, while many times JAGEX has said that their aim was that rs levelling was 50% questing 50% grinding. By putting a mark at 92 they simply force people to consttantly grind. Why? - Just to annoy people? Many people are given their right: you can't use many items in pvp as the pkers can't be bothered to get them. But why do I have to grind as a quester?

Why is that considered normal, or even good?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I've actually never heard such a thing before, about grinding/questing ratios... It's so impossible to maintain something like that; only someone talking out their backside would ever consider possible. It's really why I can't believe Jagex ever said that before >_>'

As for why is it considered normal? The rewards. If you want to just be immersed in the lore, go watch a youtube video of it. It's the standard, "if you're not willing to put in the work to get the reward, you don't deserve to obtain it."

hzvjpwS.gif

As for why is it considered normal? The rewards. If you want to just be immersed in the lore, go watch a youtube video of it. It's the standard, "if you're not willing to put in the work to get the reward, you don't deserve to obtain it."

But with that, you get a different problem: the only way for questers to be able to enjoy the game is to spend ~10 hours training a tedious skill like Firemaking first because of some arbitrary spike in the requirements. That doesn't resemble good game design in any way.

It's a similar kind of trade-off, though. You have players that enjoy quests versus players that enjoy elite level content. Either way, one group loses, and they picked the group that would actually appreciate being able to play the quest (INB4 logical fallacy accusation).

Sure, they could watch a video instead, but that isn't nearly as fun as playing through a quest and trying to work out all of the puzzles and connections yourself... Puzzles and connections that most likely wouldn't have changed because the requirements were lowered. Whether the quest is good or bad, it was that way before they lowered the requirements.

Since when is that hte case for a GAME?

Really and the work for a QUEST, should be the QUEST, and all previous QUESTS. Not some arbitrary random grinding factor.

About the ratios: in one of the interviews a year of somewhat back, andrew (or someone else) said that they weren't long finished with rs: "they wished to ultimatelly have rs consist of half questing half skilling, having a quest every other level".

Then they came for me

btw u do realise they also made the quest req lvl 74 right? (also pretty dumb but thats my opinion)

Yes, but there is an extra reward for 90 fm and we dont know what it is.

And about the rates, I no life it for 8 hours and I am struggling horribly at around 100k/h, how can people get 99 in 3 days?

Oh well, the bad news is that chances are there probably wont have as much pun, jokes and funny examines as with mod Ingrid or others in charge.

pulli: You've always had to work for rewards in RS. Am I reading your post wrong? Although I do get your point about the work for a quest being doing the quest rather than grinding to prepare for it.

gsp: What are you burning? I can't see how you're getting 100k/hr unless you're burning willows, or maybe maples if you pause often (or fail at walking while firemaking, like I did for a while). And you should be burning yews. Assuming you burn 1200 logs per hour, that's 243k per hour, at a cost of 576k per hour. That 576k should take, what, 15 minutes to make back? So the overall rate is about 200k/hour.

Since every single RPG that was almost ever made. If you don't like it, then clearly this isn't your sort of game. There's nothing to blow the whistle on here. The game is working exactly as it should, in this respect. It's not a lofty, bs laden debate of principles, and people need to stop trying to turn it into one.

Ah, and thanks for the info about the ratios. Though, if that was true and he wanted a 'quest at every other level' (assuming he was still allowed to enforce such a goal) then I don't understand where the heel-digging-in is coming from. It has to happen some time sooner or later, if what he says is to be believed.

hzvjpwS.gif

Since every single RPG that was almost ever made. If you don't like it, then clearly this isn't your sort of game. There's nothing to blow the whistle on here. The game is working exactly as it should, in this respect. It's not a lofty, bs laden debate of principles, and people need to stop trying to turn it into one.

Ah, and thanks for the info about the ratios. Though, if that was true and he wanted a 'quest at every other level' (assuming he was still allowed to enforce such a goal) then I don't understand where the heel-digging-in is coming from. It has to happen some time sooner or later, if what he says is to be believed.

My first post in this topic was that I'm not opposed to 90-level req quests.. However I dislike a "gap" in levels - something that would've been the case when the FM req was 90 now. While previous level requirement was only 70.

Then they came for me

My first post in this topic was that I'm not opposed to 90-level req quests.. However I dislike a "gap" in levels - something that would've been the case when the FM req was 90 now. While previous level requirement was only 70.

That's a reasonable opinion. Most players with exception of those maxed out would be happy with a skill creep concerning quests. It's on the same line of thinking that I believe that most every level past 70 in most skills should provide a tangible benefit. Yes, it's just playing on the Skinner Box effect, but there's a reason why that works.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Yes, but there is an extra reward for 90 fm and we dont know what it is.

And about the rates, I no life it for 8 hours and I am struggling horribly at around 100k/h, how can people get 99 in 3 days?

Jadinko lair. (extremely) Rough estimation of 200k+ exp/hour when you start (83 wc/fm) and 300k+ when you get your adze and with ring of fire/flame gloves at 92+. Of course then you have the problem of getting to 83.

@Zizoz, how do you make your money that you make 2m+/hour?

icecube7.jpeg

icecube: I have my demon butler plank mahogany logs. If you tell him to un-cert another 26 mahogany logs when he returns with the planks, the planks will be banked automatically. I stand in the study between the globe and the bookshelf to guarantee he always appears in the same place. I can plank about 6k logs per hour, at a cost of about 1596 gp per log (plus the cost of the log). At current GE prices that would be a little over 2m per hour. Note that I haven't done Love Story - it's slightly better if you have.

I guess 576k would still be a little more than 15 minutes' worth. Assuming exactly 2m/hr it would be 17.28 minutes, which would mean an average rate of 189k/hr burning yew logs at a rate of 1200/hr.

But do you take in account the time it takes to get those logs? Assuming you cut them.

He said it takes into account GE cost so I doubt he cuts them. Sounds like a good plan akin to running flatpack mahogany.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit