New Skill?

Knoll_Saleh

When I refer to old skills I mean all skills that came out before summoning, I know that summoning and dungeoneering are quite stable skills but some of the skills they have just updated to take use of new object... I mean besides the GOP and what goes with it what has runecrafting received since I started playing (round 07 or 08).

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya. I really don't think we would benefit as much from a new skill as we would if they re-worked some of the current skills we already have. Firemaking and smithing pop into mind quick. Those skills have very little use in current rs and are majorly outdated. As for the op, looking at your stats anyone can see theres a great deal of current content you have left to complete or unlock, Not to mention all the d&ds and minigames we have.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

Hiya. I really don't think we would benefit as much from a new skill as we would if they re-worked some of the current skills we already have. Firemaking and smithing pop into mind quick. Those skills have very little use in current rs and are majorly outdated. As for the op, looking at your stats anyone can see theres a great deal of current content you have left to complete or unlock, Not to mention all the d&ds and minigames we have.

Smithing is already "re-worked" sigh, what a disappointment it was (Artisans Workshop). So I hope the re-worked skills will be better then that... more like how Temple Trekking was revamped.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I havent tried the new re-work yet to be honest. Havent trained smithing since I realised it had no real use. Even now Ill eventually only get it up to improve my skill total when I have money to waste. It would be nice for a proper re-work that made me wanna train it. Not something super flashy but something better then runite plate for achieving 99. I mean if you compare that to some other high level benefits its a joke. Even something between dragon and barrows would be better. I really like the idea of untradeable content like herb has but not sure how it would fit in. Also maybe they could clear out some of the unneeded content at mid levels to make way. I mean I cant remember the last time I went out smithing iron bars, for example.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

When I refer to old skills I mean all skills that came out before summoning, I know that summoning and dungeoneering are quite stable skills but some of the skills they have just updated to take use of new object... I mean besides the GOP and what goes with it what has runecrafting received since I started playing (round 07 or 08).

You're saying one thing and arguing another though. Sorry, hope you understand my confusion. :/

hzvjpwS.gif

Fishing, crafting, runecrafting and fletching all all very important to the game as we know it.

Take them out and magic would be massively more expensive and difficult to do, same would go for ranging with bolts.

Crafting's absence you could wave goodbye to all the useful amulets and rings and a good slice of mage armours.

No fishing? say goodbye to like the entire food market.

Even msot of the others have a few important roles to play; they only ones on that list that are pretty much entirely useless in relation to other skills is thief and FM

The markets got along relatively fine before free trade returned. People just bought out stocks from rune shops as they were pretty reasonably priced. There are also several sources of ranging ammo from monster drops and things like monkey knife fighters. Fletching was what brought the unqiue ammos into the game so if it never existed, Jagex could have rebalanced ranging or made alternative ways for making ammo.

Sure crafting makes rings and the like are undeniably useful, but there are technically still ways for them to enter the game through monster drops, bird's nests, etc. Amulets are very rarely needed in massive bulk anyway, the exceptions perhaps being glories for TPs and welfare pk gear, and strength ammies also being welfare pk gear. What mage armours are you even referring to? Ahrims, Akrisae, Mystic, Dagon'hai, and Virtus were pretty much the main staples of mage gear before gano.

There are also alternatives for fish, like pizzas, cakes, and certain pies. Fish does supply a large quantity of cost effective healing, but the reality is that there exist other choices and if fish didn't exist, it would be likely that players would make those other foods to meet the market demand.

I agree that the game would be different without these skills, but they just provide so little utility. Had these skills never existed, the game could have been rebalanced and content would have been released differently (maybe more teleport spells in magic book, being able to get more items through monster drops, using spells for healing, etc)

These skills aren't like herblore, prayer, or summoning. Prayer was almost always incredibly useful and summoning (after a few tweaks and familiar batches), became an incredibly impacting skill. The revamping of herblore made it incredibly potent in bossing, PVP/M, and training.

I think a good indication of how useful a skill is if you were to imagine it never existed, was suddenly introduced into the game right now, and then judged how much of an impact it would really make on the game. Given that measure, I think it's safe to say something like FM is just about worthless.

they only ones on that list that are pretty much entirely useless in relation to other skills is thief and FM

Thieving!

Why can't it be more like thieving in real life?

Thieving should be a moneymaking skill compared to duel arena potential moneymaking speeds and risks. PVP thieving would also make the game more interesting.

You're saying one thing and arguing another though. Sorry, hope you understand my confusion. :/

The only thing I get is confusion...

I agree that the game would be different without these skills, but they just provide so little utility. Had these skills never existed, the game could have been rebalanced and content would have been released differently (maybe more teleport spells in magic book, being able to get more items through monster drops, using spells for healing, etc)

Most skills could easily be replaced if Jagex really wanted Runescape to be all about combat.

Herblore could be removed and potions could be sold in NPC shops.

Attack and Range could be merged into an "Accuracy" Skill where all forms of weaponry (Swords, Bows and Staves) where possible to use as the level went up.

Defence could be removed and replaced with a system where your armor decides your defence bonus and your combat level decides what armor you can use.

Even though some skills are more useful right now then others doesn't mean they cant be made useful if some changes were made.

Firemaking could be connected to fire magic. Construction and crafting could be combined to create new house items.

They did this really lightly a while back with Agility helping some other skills. They need to take it to the next step however.

Most skills could easily be replaced if Jagex really wanted Runescape to be all about combat.

Then RS would be no different than most other online games out there. The diversity of skills available without focusing on combat is part of what makes the game unique.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Then RS would be no different than most other online games out there. The diversity of skills available without focusing on combat is part of what makes the game unique.

I know. I like Runescape because of the skills and the focus around combat is what puts me off many MMO's.

I am not sure if new skills would be good...I barely can keep up with the old ones :oops: ; but I think reworking skills to work in conjunction a la herblore Habitat would be the best option.

I would love it if they expanded summoning further into necromancy with the ability to summon powerful dead things. :thumbup:

For this I think it would work really way if you tied it to Prayer, say instead of using pouches and shards to summon an undead creature, you could I don't know prepare the bones of the creature in a special temple using prayer points or something like that.

Dusk%20Soul.png

Alternatively one could introduce a second set of summoning 'book' (mutually exclusive to the original book, much like Ancients and Curses), with a different set of ingredients (vendor sold Soul shards, bones and/or flesh as summoning ingredient), and could focus entirely around stat draining, rooting etc. And maybe have the pouches tied also to your prayer level.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

It would work for some skills, though not all, for example how would an alternate "book" for say crafting work? To be honest I can only see prayer, summoning and Magic working with alternatives on those levels.

Dusk%20Soul.png

Probably through a new quest staring my favourite Arqueologit Dr. Nabanik investigating something in the ruins of an Ancient (zarosian) city... perhaps instead of consuming the potions you could somehow use them against the enemies? I don't know really I am just throwing some ideas.

Dusk%20Soul.png

If anybody ever played RuneQuest or Mythworld pen and paper RPG's, it's not too hard to come up with another skill. Oratory/language skill, animal husbandry/ranching skill, a musical based skill or even the archaeology/item evaluation skills come to mind. The difficulty is ensuring that the skill is fully developed and has a purpose outside of the skill itself (and not just as an afterthought such as the dungeoneering skill dungeons). Not just quests, but improve or supplement other skills.

Personally, I like that they're going to do a non-skill called player owned ports which is like a skill but without things we associate with RS skills - the grind. If I can predict how they'll introduce POPs, it'll be more like Clan Citadels where it's about investing time into upkeep and upgrading. They could have done the exact same thing with Dungeoneering, where instead of shoehorning it into a grindable skill, it'd be playing the dungeon to open up more of the dungeon.

All that said, I'd still like them to constantly improve the existing skills. Hunter is ripe as it can be incorporated to work on all the animals of runescape including slayer monsters.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I'd prefer more integration of the existing skills as well, to be honest. The past few years have seen a step in the right direction, with ancient curses/overloads and the like, but there's alot more potential. For me, dungeoneering was a hit-and-miss, for example: while it marvellously integrated the existing skills into it, the skill itself stands pretty much separate from the existing content (it's a one-way-street, so to speak).

I've never quite understood why some of the existing content HAS treated separately from everything else. In light of the Player Owned Ports NukeMarine mentioned above: why not expand the 'Player Owned House' into a 'Player Owned Estate' that could function along the lines of 'Manage thy Kingdom' (Miscellanea)? This would revamp the POH which currently has some nice functions but overall is completely separate from the existing game. Instead of building a house and its contents, you could construct a castle or manor (with construction), plant trees, herbs, flowers and fields (farming), cut said trees (woodcutting), develop your estate (building houses, workshops, bakeries and invest in them) and exploit your estate (mining, fishing, hunting) etc. They could even combine the currently useless 'Loyalty program' titles with them, which currently serve no function other than cosmetic.

I like some aspects of the way the game is currently heading, which emphasises revamping/updating existing content and bringing it more in touch with each other. I only wish for them to pursue this road further before adding brand new content to the game, which would most likely be stand-alone.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

I read something on the Jagex site towards the end of last year that there wasn't any new skills planned for 2012. As far as I understand it they are keeping to this. Not sure where you heard rumors of a new skill?