New Skill?

Knoll_Saleh

I read something on the Jagex site towards the end of last year that there wasn't any new skills planned for 2012. As far as I understand it they are keeping to this. Not sure where you heard rumors of a new skill?

Yes it's confirmed that there is no skill currently in development(Well, it was the case at Runefest at least). By now, it's just a discussion going on about possible new skills or changes to existing ones.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read something on the Jagex site towards the end of last year that there wasn't any new skills planned for 2012. As far as I understand it they are keeping to this. Not sure where you heard rumors of a new skill?

Yes it's confirmed that there is no skill currently in development(Well, it was the case at Runefest at least). By now, it's just a discussion going on about possible new skills or changes to existing ones.

Without a new skill RS will begin it's end of life cycle: new skills are great marketing tools to gain new users (even just as members it's a good "indication" to start runescape). Revitalizing skills doesn't have that effect: as the name simply implies they're fixing broken parts, not much new content.

So if jagex wants to cater new users -which they have to unless they wish to steadily build down on runescape (do they have alternatives to make money?)- they have to come up with new stuff.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Without a new skill RS will begin it's end of life cycle: new skills are great marketing tools to gain new users (even just as members it's a good "indication" to start runescape). Revitalizing skills doesn't have that effect: as the name simply implies they're fixing broken parts, not much new content.

So if jagex wants to cater new users -which they have to unless they wish to steadily build down on runescape (do they have alternatives to make money?)- they have to come up with new stuff.

Nobody said there was never going to be another new skill, just not this year. Seriously, take a dam chill pill. Don't you think you're over reacting just a little bit?

Considering you don't know Jagex's business model or their figures for peaks in membership in relation to released content, (If there even is a correlation) I'd say you're talking out of your ass.

Sylpheed.png

New content = new members

Business 101

Ok, I should have specified more clearly. I was talking about it in the context of new skills. Players aren't going to go "Right, Dungeoneering just came out, I'll max that then unsubscribe until the next skill comes out." it just doesn't happen.

Sylpheed.png

I still think Dungeoneering is a minigame not a skill therefore it sucks.

If you're going to paraphrase, at least add something to the conversation. Not sure how you got that from what I wrote.

I like turtles.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I still think Dungeoneering is a minigame not a skill therefore it sucks.

If you're going to paraphrase, at least add something to the conversation. Not sure how you got that from what I wrote.

I like turtles.

How did you know?

Ha, I can see it now. I really wouldn't be surprised if they actually released some kind of Runescape olympics complete with stadium to coincide with it.

Sylpheed.png

Nobody said there was never going to be another new skill, just not this year. Seriously, take a dam chill pill. Don't you think you're over reacting just a little bit?

Considering you don't know Jagex's business model or their figures for peaks in membership in relation to released content, (If there even is a correlation) I'd say you're talking out of your ass.

He does have a bit of a point, in theory that is. Regardless of business model or # of members, any product has a finite life cycle. That life-cycle can be lengthened (but not indefinately) by "re-inventing" the product. You make something dynamic out of something static, so to speak. That's the (marketing) theory.

However, I don't buy for a second that this should necessarily be a new skill. Touching up on existing content and revamping skills can just as much be considered as "re-inventing" the product. As long as there are (good) updates, the life cycle is being lengthened. There will come a day when RuneScape enters its final cycle, an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down, but it will not be this day.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

He does have a bit of a point, in theory that is. Regardless of business model or # of members, any product has a finite life cycle. That life-cycle can be lengthened (but not indefinately) by "re-inventing" the product. You make something dynamic out of something static, so to speak. That's the (marketing) theory.

However, I don't buy for a second that this should necessarily be a new skill. Touching up on existing content and revamping skills can just as much be considered as "re-inventing" the product. As long as there are (good) updates, the life cycle is being lengthened. There will come a day when RuneScape enters its final cycle, an hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down, but it will not be this day.

Cool bro, if you had just read my other posts in the thread you would realise that you just reiterated my point.

Sylpheed.png

Cool bro, if you had just read my other posts in the thread you would realise that you just reiterated my point.

Oh look, it's that attitude again. Umadbro?

There's no need to be pedantic or adversarial. You do realise reinforcing your argument might just have been the whole point of my contribution, no? What a shocking new concept, agreeing with someone!

Yes, your point didn't require reinforcement, but if I should refrain from contributing to a thread you've posted in just because I happen to agree with you, there might just be bigger issues on the horizon than reiterating a previously stated point. There certainly isn't any need to be pedantic about it, since I didn't just throw around meaningless quotes or '²' you without adding anything new to the discussion.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

Ha, I can see it now. I really wouldn't be surprised if they actually released some kind of Runescape olympics complete with stadium to coincide with it.

Of course you wouldn't be surprised. Nobody would be. We already know they are making "The Runescape Olympics". ;)

Of course you wouldn't be surprised. Nobody would be. We already know they are making "The Runescape Olympics". ;)

This is news to me.

Sylpheed.png

i certainly hope they make a new skill, i need more motivation to stay a member then just hunting pengs every Wednesday :/

Durmstrang.png

Go Chicago Bears!

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

i certainly hope they make a new skill, i need more motivation to stay a member then just hunting pengs every Wednesday :/

Dude, my last 2 months of membership was spent doing that. Then I realized I can just not give jagex my money anymore :shades:

As for new skill, I really have my doubts. Dungeoneering was the big thing that was supposed save rs, and it did, for a few months. And then 2011 happened. Few skills will have the dev time as dg did. Any new skill will be hard to top dg, and if the skill is another grindfest, it will do very little to help the game other than appeal to 99 chasers.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Few skills will have the dev time as dg did.

That's a bold quote to make considering the fact that we have no information regarding development time for other skills to compare it to.

And considering that Mark said at Runefest that skills take a long time, because they have to be really good. They can't release a second Firemaking really.

I rather have a complete game overhaul/revamp that will keep me interested for a long while, than a new skill that most of the people who asked for it will stop training after the first day or once they find a way to [bleep] about how hard it is to train it even tho it just came out and it will take some time to find a proper way to train it.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

RuneScape doesn't need a new skill. It needs to vastly improve some of the skills it already has.

And you believe that because........?

Why would fixing a skill be better than a new skill?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.