JAGEX LIMITED v.IMPULSE SOFTWARE, ERIC SNELLMAN, and MARK SNELLMAN

Mercifull

*bot nuke* Finish them! *this* Brutality. Jagex wins!

Epic win. Jagex has made plenty of fails in the past, but with this they've earned my respect. :thumbup:

Now they just need to hire someone with a sense of humor to overhaul the game's many puntastic quests and we're golden.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell nice house!

[hide]nicehouse.jpg

6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 8,071 sqft. And if you were wondering whats under that glass roof, its an indoor pool.

picture-uh=b77f933939d81c661d4e315b77be9f6d-ps=9085cf1ba1438aa63da570bd95e2885b.jpg[/hide]

Estimates value (according to Trulia): $1,099,000

Wow. I didn't realise the kind of cash bot making could make. That is pretty astounding, assuming they didn't make the money another way.

I'll be honest, I didn't think jagex would reach any realistic success with lawsuits. Now they just need to not take three steps backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmx5lzacZ-M&feature=related

That's [bleep]ing disgusting...

Heeell yeah. ;).

I'd say Jagex got very lucky in this lawsuit, TBH, but still a victory for them none-the-less. I'm curious, for many reasons, how far they'll take it; If they'd push as far as to go after even the original client developers (Who haven't touched it in a year+) of both this bot and others. :ohnoes:

09144a99bb.png

Both copyright and trademark infringement, computer fraud and abuse, violation of the DCMA and tortious interference with contract (basically violating the user agreement).

Edit: not sure if that's all they were charged with, but that's what they were convicted of.

I can see them being convicted of "copyright and trademark infringement" and violation of the DCMA (although it seems like dodgy stuff), but fraud and abuse? How in the seventh circle of hell did they get charged with "fraud and abuse"?

crossed_body.png

Both copyright and trademark infringement, computer fraud and abuse, violation of the DCMA and tortious interference with contract (basically violating the user agreement).

Edit: not sure if that's all they were charged with, but that's what they were convicted of.

I can see them being convicted of "copyright and trademark infringement" and violation of the DCMA (although it seems like dodgy stuff), but fraud and abuse? How in the seventh circle of hell did they get charged with "fraud and abuse"?

1) It is fraud to sell a service/good you do not have the legal right to sell

2) Various elements of their advertising and claims can be seen as fraudulent. Eg 100% safe to use, Jagex won't be able to detect you are using it, Don't worry we will have the bot back up in a couple of weeks [post-bot nuke] so keep buying it.

3) I believe it is also classed as fraud to intentionally and knowingly go against the Terms & Conditions (as they are a form of legal contract)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I bet, without doubt within a couple of weeks or so, there's another bot extremely similar (possibly exact) created/hosted by another person.

They can make as many bot as similar to ibot as they like, I'm happy for that to happen; considering the devs couldn't get it working again after the bot nuke.

I'm more than happy for people to make as many non-functional bots as they like.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Guest jrhairychest

That’s a rather interesting and gratifying mea culpa letter.

But it’s more than that - they are cooperating w/Jagex re: script writers for iBOT. I imagine there are a lot of teenaged sphincters tightening over that. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to hearing from some of our self-proclaimed legal experts... the ones who insisted Jagex had no grounds in this case.

Absolutely. I think they're probably the same experts who said Jagex couldn't bust the bots in the first place.

I bet, without doubt within a couple of weeks or so, there's another bot extremely similar (possibly exact) created/hosted by another person.

Wouldn't be the first time then you've said "I bet", "I'm sure" or another variant and were wrong. I hope you don't bet irl.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Wouldn't be the first time then you've said "I bet", "I'm sure" or another variant and were wrong. I hope you don't bet irl.

iBot is not open-source, is it? In that case, I doubt it would happen. Why take the trouble to reverse-engineer a bot that isn't even working right now? And the makers themselves surely won't pass the code to someone, seeing as they would have to pay a million dollars for that....

I think it's best if you stop making "bets" on the bot situation. I don't think you've been right once yet.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

To be fair, the creator RSBuddy touted that he had a working version that broke bot nuke, but of course then didn't release it and signed on with Jagex.

There are very few things in software that are actually difficult or impossible.

To be fair, the creator RSBuddy touted that he had a working version that broke bot nuke, but of course then didn't release it and signed on with Jagex.

There are very few things in software that are actually difficult or impossible.

Apart from the reems and reems of things that become impossible (or so close to impossible that they are not viable to do) when you factor in computing power, system limitations etc. etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

So he has a 6 figure job instead of a 6 figure lawsuit. Sounds like he made the right choice. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

He had a lot of help and took it all as entirely his. -.-

09144a99bb.png

I think it's best if you stop making "bets" on the bot situation. I don't think you've been right once yet.

I'm always right :)

Besides, was only kidding.

I'm happy to see Jagex are keeping on-top of the bots, I must admit, I never thought I'd see them stick it out.

I'm always right :)

Besides, was only kidding.

I'm happy to see Jagex are keeping on-top of the bots, I must admit, I never thought I'd see them stick it out.

You also have to consider precedent. Now that a case has been successfully won in favour of Jagex, you have to assume it would be easier to reference said case in future legal disputes.