Behind the Scenes - February

Mil

The effect of people mixing up affect and effect is that it affects the ability of others to understand the post.

=D>

In all seriousness, SY_Accursed has a point about about people being able to understand it either way, unless it's considerably more difficult for a non-native English speaker to do so. Either way, mixing the two up doesn't derail a thread as much as, say, arguing about grammar.

...What were we talking about again? :razz:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one could reasonably argue that in colloquial terms effect = affect.

No...no they couldn't.

They really could, as proven by the fact colloquially (as in slang/everyday/informal) you barely see affect, always effect and no-one ever really trips up over it not making sense. Case and point: It took several days for anyone to even notice I'd used the wrong one, so the clearly all understood what was meant and read effect with the meaning of affect.

But this is going entirely off-topic.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

No...no they couldn't.

They really could, as proven by the fact colloquially (as in slang/everyday/informal) you barely see affect, always effect and no-one ever really trips up over it not making sense. Case and point: It took several days for anyone to even notice I'd used the wrong one, so the clearly all understood what was meant and read effect with the meaning of affect.

Then why are you always derailing threads by correcting people's grammatical usage when everybody else understands what they're saying?

77yLQy8.png

No...no they couldn't.

Then why are you always derailing threads by correcting people's grammatical usage when everybody else understands what they're saying?

If no-one ever corrected people on their misuse of English, no-one would ever better their use of English.

Besides it hardly derails a thread to make one brief comment correcting someone, what does derail it is when other uses decided to turn it into an entirely off-topic debate.

Case and point

Case in point.

Wow never knew I used that wrong! Everyone round my way says case and point, guess it's a local colloquialism of the idiom.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

*Used that incorrectly

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I agree with Sy about affect and effect being basically interchangeable at this point in time. But this thread has gotten way out of hand and carrying on correcting each other is not helping, we should get back on topic.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Yes, I care to talk about Behind the Scenes, not Behind the grammar. Ex mods to the rescue.

So is it confirmed for today release or no?

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Yes, I care to talk about Behind the Scenes, not Behind the grammar. Ex mods to the rescue.

So is it confirmed for today release or no?

No.

It's too late in the day now and Mod Emilee never posted anything about it and she is the one to be trusted on such things as she always posts the 'no game update today/this week' and 'waiting room' threads.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Oh dang, just realize what time it was. I thought it was still morning. Haha, I'm just too antsy to see new updates. :)

I'm the same, even if 9/10 a new update just means 1-2 hours of beating it then back to 'normal'; though we have had some nice exceptions lately Dom tower is one to come back too, as was temple trek update (assuming you want comp cape some day) and the Kiln obviously will be. New vials won't even affect my gameplay for a while, can't do the kiln game and not big on pvm and can't even make em.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

New vials won't even affect my gameplay for a while, can't do the kiln game and not big on pvm and can't even make em.

With a crafting potion you can go from 86 crafting to 89, and I believe I saw 81+ mining on your stat sig too?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I could foresee people being thrifty with the vials. Suppose people who cant get them without buying them just used them for prayer pots, restores and brews.

Do you think we would see a much higher market for these versions of the potions?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well all the announced ones are out. Wonder how far away the armour graphics reworks will be, that seems like something they'd sneak in un-announced if anything.

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!