Defining lag

Pirkka

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had a ping of 200 or more, wich makes prayer flashing almost impossible, and always suffered that in form of lag... but I could still play.

As the time passed, thought the ping was getting better, the FPS fell like crazy.

I could run runescape in high quality 1 or 2 years after HD came out, now I get 5 FPS on safe mode.

So there is really a difference... lag has always been there for me, but not this low performance I got this year along with the bot nuke >_>

Juxter.png

Quest cape achieved on 7/11/2010.

You'd have to be some sort of masochist to want to be a forum moderator on the RSOF. They're honestly better off, imo.

Whatever it's called, it really sucks ass!!! Ever since the Bot Nuke i've had to play on the lowest of low graphics to get Runescape playable. After this Troll Warzone i'm down to a constant 3-4 fps no matter where I am. I can't do any "high risk" activities because I simply can't react fast enough. Even things like taking items out of my bank! I click on an air rune, move my mouse over to another rune and it takes out the one in-between them!

asrhasrh.jpg

joyhF.png

Boy, sure is a good think I'm not lagging, eh?

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Can I trade for your framerate? :P

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Can I trade for your framerate? :P

E: I had a message hear, but it disappeared.

Anyhoo, the ping was there just because I was downloading stuff through steam. Normally I get anything from 58 to 80 in ping.

Edited by Pirkka

Pirkka.png

signatureteksti.png

No bonuses

My response is very good, but the framerate for me has been appallingly bad since the DT update. I'll happily concede my computer specs aren't great, but this is RuneScape we're talking about, not Civ 5. Much of its purpose is that it should run fine on low specs.

Because of the incorrect (or unclear) use of the term, I've seen many people asking if their low fps is because their internet connection is slow.

It makes me very sad.

A money pouch would be cool. So would a remote price checker. But honestly I'm thinking an insta-Jcoins-market. LOW ON PRAYER AND DONT LIKE XP WASTE?! BUY AN ULTRA PRAYER RESTORE POTION INSTANTLY FOR JUST 75 CENTS! STAY AT BANDOS ALL DAY/AS LONG YOU HAVE MONEY!

Actually, to run RS nowadays with full constant 50 FPS, you need quite a modern and high-spec computer, which is quite silly.

Pirkka.png

signatureteksti.png

No bonuses

Actually, to run RS nowadays with full constant 50 FPS, you need quite a modern and high-spec computer, which is quite silly.

If they're expecting us to spend $$ for a high-end computer, there's plenty of better ways to spend said $$ if you want a gaming experience.

For now, RuneScape's just about playable (7-10 FPS more or less, 4-6 in dungeons) so I put up with it because it's only £3.50 a month anyway, which is like... half an hour's wage... for a whole month.

If they're expecting us to spend $$ for a high-end computer, there's plenty of better ways to spend said $$ if you want a gaming experience.

For now, RuneScape's just about playable (7-10 FPS more or less, 4-6 in dungeons) so I put up with it because it's only £3.50 a month anyway, which is like... half an hour's wage... for a whole month.

It's funny to think that my old computer ran World of Warcraft on semi-high settings in constant 40+ FPS. RuneScape was 1-3 FPS since the Dominion Tower update. Of course WoW gets it easier since it isn't done in java and all the stuff is actually installed in the hard drive, but seriously, you would expect a simple Java game to run on minimum settings as good as a humongous MMORPG. I got the new computer and can't get lower than 45 FPS even if I'm watching a blu-ray and playing the Binding of Isaac at the same time, but I still think that Jagex should make the FPS improvement its highest priority.

Pirkka.png

signatureteksti.png

No bonuses

Sadly, I believe RuneScape's problem is on the processor side, not graphics. From inspection of the OpenGL functions RuneScape uses during normal play, nothing has changed. The same goes for the general call order. This goes hand in hand with the fact that I suffer from pathetic performance equally bad on all modes (software, OpenGL, and DirectX). Regardless, this is absurd. Although my processor is a few years old, it was top of the line and still remains pretty high end for its standards (Intel i7 920). My graphics card was recently upgraded and is an nVidia 560 Ti. There is not one ounce of reason to even try to defend Jagex's poor programming implementation.

For the record, I can run games that are far more demanding, processor- and graphics-wise, at max or near max settings. In fact, I believe only the very newest games would have hiccups, and that's only because of the 560 Ti; not the processor.

ozXHe7P.png

I have a 2500k and an agreeably low-tier GT240 and almost all fps issues are CPU-bottlenecked which is, put simply, a joke. There are very few games where a 2500k would be the bottleneck and there's no real reason for Runescape to be one of them considering there are no advanced physics calculations or client-side AI.

A money pouch would be cool. So would a remote price checker. But honestly I'm thinking an insta-Jcoins-market. LOW ON PRAYER AND DONT LIKE XP WASTE?! BUY AN ULTRA PRAYER RESTORE POTION INSTANTLY FOR JUST 75 CENTS! STAY AT BANDOS ALL DAY/AS LONG YOU HAVE MONEY!

I don't normally lag (outside of Monday), but since the bot nuke my FPS has plummetted to 5, when it used to be ~30 - 40, and I have no idea why.

So, you don't lag but you have low FPS?

Pirkka.png

signatureteksti.png

No bonuses

I don't normally lag (outside of Monday), but since the bot nuke my FPS has plummetted to 5, when it used to be ~30 - 40, and I have no idea why.

So, you don't lag but you have low FPS?

Yup. I can still play the game just fine, but it's not as, for lack of a better word, "fluid" as it has been in the past.

I feel the need to bump this for one important reason: I solved a major performance problem on my end by disabling textures in OpenGL or DirectX mode. While it makes RS look utterly terrible, it improves performance and loading times by a considerably large margin.

ozXHe7P.png

I feel the need to bump this for one important reason: I solved a major performance problem on my end by disabling textures in OpenGL or DirectX mode. While it makes RS look utterly terrible, it improves performance and loading times by a considerably large margin.

Yeah, I wasn't getting my usual FPS one day, so I turned off textures. :shock: Looks like RS, pre HD, but it helped a bit.

I also might add that this thread might be useful.. especially the link to the RSOF, which finally worked for the OP.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

A thread assessing and attempting to fix these issues would have been far more useful than one pompously attempting to correct people who are likely already aggravated because their game is running slower than shit sliding down a wall. (Which JaGEx may or may not have been the ones to fling; I thought I read on here someone saying RS's utilization of Direct-X/OpenGL was godawful.)

Hey JaGEx. If I log out in Edgeville, Taverly, or Burthorpe, upon logging in I'll be waiting at a black screen for at least 20 seconds. If I attempt to open the world map to search for one of the myriad of pointless structures I have to visit in Burthorpe/Taverly to complete the tasks, I'll be waiting at least 30 seconds upon exiting. However, that's arguably quicker than running through 15 second loading screens to search for it on foot (can't really call it exploring; I enjoy exploring). If I want to use my Polypore Staff in any of these areas, I won't see any hits, only drops, because it freezes until combat is over.

If TzHaar is as bad as this tomorrow... Well...

2dgucz6.png

It is. One of the JMods commented on it a couple of weeks ago on the RSOF. They said they had found part of the problem and should hopefully have a resolution soon.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Well, Jagex says they have three people working on it right now (Friday night). I recommend pizza deprivation to accelerate the development of such a solution.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.