spot stealing!

the-whisky-bar

Just wanted to say that it was a good post, striimus.

I personally don't crash out of principle - I don't like being crashed myself, so I don't do it to others either. I do fight against crashers though. If I feel like it.

Nowadays sharing a spot especially with slayer (when there is room for 2 or 3 people) doesn't really bother me. I usually just end up talking with people, and enjoy training the skills more that way. I must admit, that losing your granite mining spot for example can be frustrating. It's really hard to understand why someone would bother crashing on something like that - without any other reason than trying to be annoying. Nowadays, I mine only concentrated gold though. No need to worry about crashers there.

u5zhkTY.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely train at places where competition is needed, but I usually ask them to leave nicely, then depending on the spot ill do my best to get them to leave, ie randomly barraging everything at rock lobbies, or killing chins.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I can't be arsed asking people to hop at slayer spots anymore. If i'm in in a stubborn mood I will stay there until they hop, other times I will just hop myself...people at aby specs at the slayer are the worst culprits...

I never need to hop for skilling as the places I go to are secret >: )

BoXRwtv.png

YZF63wJ.png

youknowhowilovemygeekyandnerdyguys-1.png

I think people under estimate the benefits of overloads > extremes. Sure they maybe expensive, but two things. 1; You should make them for herb xp and not waste resources on like 30k of the same pot. 2; overloads are pretty much anti-crash effective. To be completely honest though the need for crashing is almost gone, seeing as no-one is at the slayer spots really anyways.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I loathe spot stealers. It's not usually too bad with slayer tasks, since most spots can easily provide mobs for 2+ people. The area I most have issues with spot stealers is skilling. Especially on Iron Ore (just can't bring myself to mine Granite and throw it all away).

In the last week I've mined a ton of iron, and it seems even on medium populated worlds in the middle of the night (EST), I get at least 3 people who feel they need to take my spot. Yes, I consider it mine. They would consider it theirs if they got there first. Just a few steps away is a spot which is decent, but they don't go there, they instead prefer to attempt to force me to leave. It doesn't happen often. Since most people with good mining levels are out throwing away granite, I find that I can, in most cases, outmine the spot stealers. On the rare occassion when someone higher comes along, or I'm laggy, I'll switch. Other than that, I'll take the 1 out of 5ish loss on the iron and drive you back to the hell you came from.

The other place I see problems is when you are all alone in a multicombat slayer area (dags for example) and someone brings in a cannon. Unlike most people, I get all excited. I was here first and you are making a blatant attempt to steal the mobs I was killing. You have shown already that you do not care to provide other players with the basest of common courtesies. Therefore, you get none in return. I will happily move closer to your cannon and start melee'ing your mobs. I am not there for drops, I am there to finish my slayer task. Thank you for your help in this. :)

I do not crash. Ever. Well, sometimes for just a second, until I realize that the other person there didn't show right away when I logged in. I will world hop until I find an empty world(or one that will easily support one more) or I go find something else to do. None of this three hops then crash stuff, as I follow the golden rule: do not crash others if you do not want to be crashed yourself. That said, I have decent stats, decent gear, and overloads. I will most likely defend my spot if someone else crashes me.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm tired and this subject makes me rage.

a better question would be, how do the spot stealers deal with me?

they dont

The other place I see problems is when you are all alone in a multicombat slayer area (dags for example) and someone brings in a cannon. Unlike most people, I get all excited. I was here first and you are making a blatant attempt to steal the mobs I was killing. You have shown already that you do not care to provide other players with the basest of common courtesies. Therefore, you get none in return. I will happily move closer to your cannon and start melee'ing your mobs. I am not there for drops, I am there to finish my slayer task. Thank you for your help in this. :)

I do not crash. Ever. Well, sometimes for just a second, until I realize that the other person there didn't show right away when I logged in. I will world hop until I find an empty world(or one that will easily support one more) or I go find something else to do. None of this three hops then crash stuff, as I follow the golden rule: do not crash others if you do not want to be crashed yourself. That said, I have decent stats, decent gear, and overloads. I will most likely defend my spot if someone else crashes me.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm tired and this subject makes me rage.

I like it when I'm cannoning and people help me kill the mobs the cannon is hitting.. makes the task faster.

So if you got kill count for GWD and some level 90 was soloing the general, instead of crashing them, you would leave? :blink:

I'm sorry, but I stand by what I said earlier.. if you are hogging a highly populated world (be it for slayer or skilling) and you can't even utilize it or you are fighting a highly competitive boss, then I will crash you every time, no questions asked.

Welcome to the forums btw. :smile:

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

I like it when I'm cannoning and people help me kill the mobs the cannon is hitting.. makes the task faster.

So if you got kill count for GWD and some level 90 was soloing the general, instead of crashing them, you would leave? :blink:

I'm sorry, but I stand by what I said earlier.. if you are hogging a highly populated world (be it for slayer or skilling) and you can't even utilize it or you are fighting a highly competitive boss, then I will crash you every time, no questions asked.

Welcome to the forums btw. :smile:

I would hop, yes. Unless they seemed like they were having trouble or asked me to stay. It takes a lot more for a lower level to be doing stuff like that solo, and it would be downright rude and mean of me to crash them. It takes only a few minutes to get your kc back up, it will take them significantly longer to rebank, get kc up, and get to the same point on the boss.

I guess the way that I look at it is this: my time is valuable. The time that I have I want to spend as efficiently as possible. But then, so do you. So what makes me more important? I'm not. But then, neither are you. Or him. Or her. Or it. We all have to find the moral line for ourselves, mine is not stealing from others. If I crash someone, especially at a boss, I have stolen from them. Time, pots, food, whatever. It's stealing. My ability to get something done just a bit faster by stealing from them doesn't justify the act.

Plus I know how mad it makes me when someone does it to me :P

And thank you for the welcome :)

Ever since that thread saying it was "necessary", most of the crashes I've had were at spots that weren't exactly crowded on other worlds, but people felt the need to be total jerks just because they could, not out of necessity.

I secretly blame everybody here.

^ Based upon (false) assumption that the social rule of "first come first server" is of greater import than that of "He who is better able to utilize said spot, and able to keep it, deserves it." Both are valid, neither side can hold the other to their standard, so they call each other names. I'm not saying one is right/wrong. I'm saying stating you are right is wrong.

Your equally false assumption that I must be lying when I said "spots that weren't exactly crowded on other worlds, but people felt the need to be total jerks just because they could, not out of necessity." I mean, your statement about best utilizing a spot doesn't even apply to situations where people are just being a nuisance in order to force the other person to leave to avoid inefficiency, rather than actually proving who is more efficient. Anticrashing in itself can largely be wasteful, since the tactics employed to do so aren't any better at utilizing the spot, just hogging it. To say that this system of competition is the best utilization of resources in itself IS a false assumption, if you judge by how it causes massive disruptions to our lives when it goes horribly wrong. Our insistence on working against each other continues to worsen many problems.

I can move to another world, but why the hell should it even matter when it's not NECESSARY? It's like pushing a kid off a swing when there are two empty swings adjacent. By your justification, people should be able to do it if they're strong enough to do so, which while of its own nature the very rules of survival, not conducive to the society that humans have built in order to achieve higher living standards.

Of course, that is also false considering the reality of how western society works (which is, to lie about society being fine when we sweep the consequences under the rug) but if we just keep pushing each other around there's no point to having a multiplayer game, just go mess with some npcs if you want to ego trip :P if gameplay comes before other people, then take your gameplay elsewhere and STOP [bleep]ING WITH ME

just, take a moment and consider why you are doing it, and size it up with what you are doing, rather than just doing it...worse things have happened when we forget our reasons

Who taught you logic lol. There is no possible link between my statement and an implication of lying on your part. My premise is no one can hold another to their own social standard without some objective guideline (In this case the RS rules.). By doing so, they are the only ones in the wrong. That doesn't mean one has to like everything, or agree, but neither side is technically "right" or wrong from a social rules standpoint. Go into efficiency, kindness, etc and that's a whole new game, with equally subjective values.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Ever since that thread saying it was "necessary", most of the crashes I've had were at spots that weren't exactly crowded on other worlds, but people felt the need to be total jerks just because they could, not out of necessity.

I secretly blame everybody here.

^ Based upon (false) assumption that the social rule of "first come first server" is of greater import than that of "He who is better able to utilize said spot, and able to keep it, deserves it." Both are valid, neither side can hold the other to their standard, so they call each other names. I'm not saying one is right/wrong. I'm saying stating you are right is wrong.

Your equally false assumption that I must be lying when I said "spots that weren't exactly crowded on other worlds, but people felt the need to be total jerks just because they could, not out of necessity." I mean, your statement about best utilizing a spot doesn't even apply to situations where people are just being a nuisance in order to force the other person to leave to avoid inefficiency, rather than actually proving who is more efficient. Anticrashing in itself can largely be wasteful, since the tactics employed to do so aren't any better at utilizing the spot, just hogging it. To say that this system of competition is the best utilization of resources in itself IS a false assumption, if you judge by how it causes massive disruptions to our lives when it goes horribly wrong. Our insistence on working against each other continues to worsen many problems.

I can move to another world, but why the hell should it even matter when it's not NECESSARY? It's like pushing a kid off a swing when there are two empty swings adjacent. By your justification, people should be able to do it if they're strong enough to do so, which while of its own nature the very rules of survival, not conducive to the society that humans have built in order to achieve higher living standards.

Of course, that is also false considering the reality of how western society works (which is, to lie about society being fine when we sweep the consequences under the rug) but if we just keep pushing each other around there's no point to having a multiplayer game, just go mess with some npcs if you want to ego trip :P if gameplay comes before other people, then take your gameplay elsewhere and STOP [bleep]ING WITH ME

just, take a moment and consider why you are doing it, and size it up with what you are doing, rather than just doing it...worse things have happened when we forget our reasons

Who taught you logic lol. There is no possible link between my statement and an implication of lying on your part. My premise is no one can hold another to their own social standard without some objective guideline (In this case the RS rules.). By doing so, they are the only ones in the wrong. That doesn't mean one has to like everything, or agree, but neither side is technically "right" or wrong from a social rules standpoint. Go into efficiency, kindness, etc and that's a whole new game, with equally subjective values.

Lol I read that and was so lost after just the first sentence. Who? Wha? did Wha?...... WHAT?