DDoS attack?

Zibl

To save time and confusion I'll make this explanation as quick and simple as possible. I play another small online game, and there was a guy on there who was known to occasionally DDoS people for no apparent reason. About a week ago he was banned from the game and somehow got a hold of a lot of people's IP addresses... and I think one of them might have been me. Although he is a known DDoSer, he's also known for not being able to do it on a large scale. Essentially his attacks cut whatever your system normally runs at in half (or so I've heard).

Every once in a while I http://www.speedtest.net my connection just out of curiosity, but I know that my speeds 2 or 3 weeks ago were around 6 ms Ping / 27-29 mb Download / 3-5 mb Upload. Suddenly overnight my connections had slowed extremely! Just before I made this topic these were my results:

1759020302.png

Ping is at 10ms, which is low since it's been around the 15ms mark. My download speeds stay in the 18mb - 23mb range (which is decent, but not what I'm used to); my Upload speed has been beating with a stick... .45mb? I upload YouTube videos on occasion, and this is probably the most annoying thing for me. I called my ISP but those idiots never know what's going on. All they told me was it looked fine from there end & to try the "unplug router, wait 5 minutes, plug back in" method.

Help? Suggestions? I haven't ran anything out of the ordinary, and I've had this new internet installed since last August with no dips in any speeds. I'm not even sure if I'm being DDoSed... but something is obviously different.

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

Well that's what I was thinking but I'm still baffled as why the connections dropped so massively over night (after roughly 5 and 1/2 months of perfect speeds) :blink: . Something had to have happened either on my side or my ISP's side but nothing different went on. I run the same programs, go to basically the same websites, haven't downloaded any questionable material, my anti-virus is running strong... I'm at a loss. In all actuality my download speed isn't much of a concern for me. Prior to my new internet package last August, I was used to terrible download speeds that would peak at 1.2mb/sec. But once I changed & got used to very fast everything I suppose I became accustomed to those speeds.

These random lag spikes & mind-numbingly slow Upload speeds are what's really driving my crazy.

To save time and confusion I'll make this explanation as quick and simple as possible. I play another small online game, and there was a guy on there who was known to occasionally DDoS people for no apparent reason. About a week ago he was banned from the game and somehow got a hold of a lot of people's IP addresses... and I think one of them might have been me. Although he is a known DDoSer, he's also known for not being able to do it on a large scale. Essentially his attacks cut whatever your system normally runs at in half (or so I've heard).

Every once in a while I http://www.speedtest.net my connection just out of curiosity, but I know that my speeds 2 or 3 weeks ago were around 6 ms Ping / 27-29 mb Download / 3-5 mb Upload. Suddenly overnight my connections had slowed extremely! Just before I made this topic these were my results:

1759020302.png

Ping is at 10ms, which is low since it's been around the 15ms mark. My download speeds stay in the 18mb - 23mb range (which is decent, but not what I'm used to); my Upload speed has been beating with a stick... .45mb? I upload YouTube videos on occasion, and this is probably the most annoying thing for me. I called my ISP but those idiots never know what's going on. All they told me was it looked fine from there end & to try the "unplug router, wait 5 minutes, plug back in" method.

Help? Suggestions? I haven't ran anything out of the ordinary, and I've had this new internet installed since last August with no dips in any speeds. I'm not even sure if I'm being DDoSed... but something is obviously different.

You are not being ddosed. :) Also, 10ms is better. :)

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, I have to agree with the others that with that speed test you are not being DDoSed (perhaps someone is doing a really bad job trying to DoS you with a personal computer, but that is unlikely) and your reduction in connection speed is due to inevitable fluctuations in the service from your ISP(unless you have a High end Commercial internet package with a Service level agreement that mandates that you get atleast 25Mbps, but I would be fairly sure you dont have one [Any service including that would be far higher pricewise than any regular internet package on the market])

If you really insist on saying that you are being DDoSed, I would suggest the standard fix for residential users of powercycling your Gateway or modem (whatever plugs into your wall to let you get the internet) which normally will change your IP address. (this can also fix a wide variety of issues originating at your end of the line)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

If you actually were being DDoS'd then you would have no doubt about it. The whole thing about your upload is what ADSL is based on - Asymmetric digital subscriber line - people don't need as much upload speed as they do download, though I'll admit 0.45MBPS is a little slow. Fluctuation is normal, happens sometimes randomly, especially at peak times.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks for all the information, guys! I guess I went directly to DDoS because it was such a random & sudden drop... I don't know anything about them, so that puts my mind a little more at ease. I don't have sort of high-end commercial connection. On the comment of ping: I thought the lower the ping the better? :unsure: . I don't see the drop in connection going away any time soon since it's been a week or more that this has been going on, but hopefully it will get a little better. Like I said the only thing bugging me is the random lags and upload speeds... but I guess it's just something I'll have to get used it :( .

Yes, lower is better.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

1769517252.png

I came back from a weekend trip out of town to this :blink: . Not sure why my connections are all back to normal, but my upload speed is even double what it used to be. Thanks for all the information guys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...