7- Feb-2012 - Name Availability

Carl

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't missed a thing. If you read the thread you'll see they haven't released any names yet..The whatever-million they released was back in 2010.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

You haven't missed a thing. If you read the thread you'll see they haven't released any names yet..The whatever-million they released was back in 2010.

The wording of the post implies they released 50mil of the 140mil when they posted and 90mil to follow later this month.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The last time they did this let's see..

I got NASA, but gave it to my real life friend who majors in something like that.

My best friend in real life got the name Scape..which he will never change. He got offered 1B for it.. o.O

Another friend of mine got the name Prison.

The name of my company that I work for opened up, however, not taking it. :P

Turnpikes.png

I disagree with this in the sense I don't believe they should have removed account names on accounts of say over 1k total. I know personally, I would be livid if I came back in 2010 and some choob stole my name.

Also if I see an Old Nite or Alchemon wondering around, I think I'd be equally bothered. When it comes down to it, I never had an issue coming up with an orignal name. Then again if you wanna create toppk23 because you can't be orignal, that isn't my issue.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

I disagree with this in the sense I don't believe they should have removed account names on accounts of say over 1k total. I know personally, I would be livid if I came back in 2010 and some choob stole my name.

Also if I see an Old Nite or Alchemon wondering around, I think I'd be equally bothered. When it comes down to it, I never had an issue coming up with an orignal name. Then again if you wanna create toppk23 because you can't be orignal, that isn't my issue.

Pretty sure they only release the names if the account has no skills over 30, never been p2p and haven't logged in for a year.

Pretty sure they only release the names if the account has no skills over 30, never been p2p and haven't logged in for a year.

That would be fair and I hope you're right. :)

Would be upsetting to see the old famous names being taken by randoms.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

I wouldn't be surprise if Jagex forever reserved names of famous people (Zezima, The Old Nite, etc.).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I wouldn't be surprise if Jagex forever reserved names of famous people (Zezima, The Old Nite, etc.).

I remember seeing a mod post saying they reserved the login names of the top 10,000 players and mods(at the time the display names update went live)

I remember seeing a mod post saying they reserved the login names of the top 10,000 players and mods(at the time the display names update went live)

I recall reading the same.

They should have found a way to monetize the process.

For example:

• Charge people $10 to change a name and guarantee that name will be theirs for as long as RuneScape exists. Allow people to forever lock their present names for the same $10.
  • For those too chintzy to pay $10, allow protection from a name being reappropriated as long as one logs at least once every 2 months and accumulates some reasonable amount of XP.
  • The only grandfathering should be for dead people (no new Old Nite or such).

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Why does Jagex need to charge for that service?

I think its fair for the higher level players names to be reserved to stop some choob from destroying their rep. I'm not a totally high player but if I ever changed my name I would create a noob account with the same in order to stop someone from using it. Ive been using it for 10 years + so the thought of someone else using it seems odd to me.

34zljex.png

Huzzah.png

Yeah, Jagex do reserve some names, including high level account names and the like.

[spoiler=Jagex Quote]

There are some names that you will never be able to get:

+ Offensive names

+ Staff impersonation names

+ Banned account names

In addition we sometimes (but not always) choose to reserve or lock names for a variety of reasons, including desirable names that are highly likely to be sold, names belonging to Forum and Player Moderators, names for very high level accounts and names associated with cheating.

Quote from [qfc]250-251-44-63441811[/qfc] page 10.

As for me personally, only one name could get me to change my character name, and that would be Alan, for obvious reasons. I would love to have it. :grin: But that chances of that happening, I believe are unfortunately slim to none.

alazsig.png

Yeah, Jagex do reserve some names, including high level account names and the like.

+ Offensive names

+ Banned account names

In addition we sometimes (but not always) choose to reserve or lock names for a variety of reasons, including desirable names that are highly likely to be sold, names belonging to Forum and Player Moderators, names for very high level accounts and names associated with cheating.

I feel like first names are the biggest thing that fits into that category.

gf everyone

4e0Vn.png

+ Offensive names

+ Banned account names

rage_face.jpg

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

I'm not sure The Old Nite would've been in the top 10,000 when that update went live, however, I'm sure they'd have had the common sense to retire that name a long, long time ago (namely, when the player was confirmed to have died by his sister).

Out of the small handful of accounts I've self-made, all of which I still will be using for at least holiday events, there's only 1 whose name I might want to change if Jagex knocks it. They had better not mess with the other 4, including my master name (D_V_Devnull), as I've got unique paths and personalities associated with each of them. <_<

I swear, they touch those... <*smashes a brick in half*> ...Grrrrrr... :angry:

~Mr. D. V. "Jagex had better keep their hands off of my names, because I still use them..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

[spoiler=Jagex Quote]

+ Offensive names

+ Banned account names

Ew. Banned account names shouldn't be perm locked like this unless its obviously a dumb bot name, or a super high profile one... Why lock legit players out of a name on an account that was dumb enough to break the rules?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Platinum_Myr, they're only talking about truly offensive names that nobody is allowed to have. They're not talking about non-offensive names on accounts that got banned. You more than likely have a chance still to grab that name which you're looking for, but you'll have to try like crazy to get a hold of it. :geek:

~D. V. "I did a bit of reading to come to this conclusion..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I won't be changing my name due to it being a four character name of which I personally like. However, this is a great update by JaGeX, thank you for this significant post.

Platinum_Myr, they're only talking about truly offensive names that nobody is allowed to have. They're not talking about non-offensive names on accounts that got banned. You more than likely have a chance still to grab that name which you're looking for, but you'll have to try like crazy to get a hold of it. :geek:

Note how it lists 3 separate bullets? It appears like they aren't releasing banned account names at all. I have no intentions of changing my name, but I hope they release more really good old unused names...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014