14-Feb-2012 - TzHaar Quest, Minigame and Graphical Rework

Saradomin_Mage

Beyond retarded is an understatement regarding the effigy update

Its already rare enough and its also a good incentive for people to level the skills to use the effigies (I have no skills above 91 except for combat)

Did Blizzard's team of 'brainless' developers infect Jagex?

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say this update would've been good until I read the part about the effigies, which left a really terrible taste in my mouth. Last week, the Patch Notes were amazing enough to where they overshadowed the main update. It's happened again with a side update, except it wasn't the good kind of update.

Bleugh.

I don't really see the big deal about the effigy thing.

People stopped training skills legitimately once effigies came out. Now they are butthurt that they don't have an easy way out.

Because the alternative is Runecrafting.

You could take the "Vezon Fenrak Approach" to skilling. "If you don't like the skill, don't train it."

Ever since effigies, the game has been about maxing more than anything. It shortened the time to max by only a little, comparable to for example urns, penance horn, penguins etc. all put to together. That is a lot for one update, but not game-breaking. The main thing is you can max out with combat now (mostly) and skillers feel left out. Imagine you could only get effigies from fishing rocktails, cutting ivy etc.. Would all the people who would then be 'effigyscapers' be happy if they got basically removed?

Jagex is just stupid. They didn't consider the implications of adding effigies and now, over a year later, they feel the game has become too much about them. Instead of just buffing non-effigy xp rates and/or lowering effigy xp, they come up with this solution, which completely ruins the 'saving' and 'opening yourself' aspect of effigies.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

People stopped training skills legitimately once effigies came out. Now they are butthurt that they don't have an easy way out of training skills.

No... It's Jagex's fault for making the game function this way. It makes absolutely no sense that I now have to go find someone with the required skills to open my effigies. This is a stupid update.

I put the blame on Jagex for creating Effigies in the first place. I am disappoint about the update too, but all I see is Jagex fixing a mistake they made long ago.

Except it doesn't fix that. People will still use effigies, they will just spare skills like slayer for after their 97 effigy skills. So it just makes more troublesome, without solving anything.

This:

People stopped training skills legitimately once effigies came out. Now they are butthurt that they don't have an easy way out of training skills.

Justin Timberlake - Cry me river, says hello.

'

| 99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hit Points | 99 Prayer | 99 Magic | 99 Summoning | 99 Ranging |
| 99 Agility| 99 Woodcutting | 99 Construction | 99 Fletching | 99 Herblore | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Thieving |
| 99 Firemaking | 99 Crafting | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Cooking| 99 Smithing | 99 Construction | 99 Fishing |
| 99 Hunter | 99 Farming | 99 Slayer |  Divination 99 | 115+ Dungeoneering |

Total Level: 2590+
Max Cape - Owner

No... It's Jagex's fault for making the game function this way. It makes absolutely no sense that I now have to go find someone with the required skills to open my effigies. This is a stupid update.

I put the blame on Jagex for creating Effigies in the first place. I am disappoint about the update too, but all I see is Jagex fixing a mistake they made long ago.

Except it doesn't fix that. People will still use effigies, they will just spare skills like slayer for after their 97 effigy skills. So it just makes more troublesome, without solving anything.

You have heard the phrase "Don't fix what isn't broken" right? Effigies were pretty broken, and they were fixed.

Effigy nerf is horrible. It completely ruins the game as it has existed for the past year or more and puts maxing out of reach for a very large number of people going for max.

Indeed ^ :(

Well 5 at a time will just use them up as I get them. To bad didn't get to save up like 400+ :(

Will do the Quest though for the Early Bird Special. Caw :thumbup:

Level 99 Skills 28/28 200M exp Skills 6/28
Going for 200M All Skills. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

On 12/23/2011 at 4:39 PM, 'Jebrim' said:

But don't even begin to think that I think I'm better than you all simply because I've done 7.6k+ hours of Agility or because I have tens of thousands of fans.

I was just thinking to myself yesterday, "I wonder what the game would be like if effigies were never created. Ever since ancient effigies, nobody bother training certain skills, they just use effigies instead." Well, now I get to find out, more or less. Now people actually have to train their skills to train their skills (crazy, I know) so perhaps we'll see some changes in prices. Especially runes, seeing as runecrafting was the most popular effigyscaping skill.

Sure, I see what you mean Cheefoo. That's something that should have been realised days after they were released. Not over a year later. There's pictures & videos of Jmods visiting maxed players while they are hunting effigies. Did it suddenly click "Oh lets nerf it".

Yeah, it was incredibly stupid for them to just suddenly nerf effigies like that. But I suppose it's better late than never, right? They really could have handled this better...

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

All they had to do to rebalance the game is double the drop rate of current effigy rates and make the absolute fastest you could earn an effigy would be 1 per 2 hours, which would make it far inferior to training the actual skill.

I have probably invested the most time out of anyone in the entire game regarding effigies to allow the community to use that information to their benefit.

This just feels like a giant kick in the balls.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

I was just thinking to myself yesterday, "I wonder what the game would be like if effigies were never created. Ever since ancient effigies, nobody bother training certain skills, they just use effigies instead." Well, now I get to find out, more or less. Now people actually have to train their skills to train their skills (crazy, I know) so perhaps we'll see some changes in prices. Especially runes, seeing as runecrafting was the most popular effigyscaping skill.

Sure, I see what you mean Cheefoo. That's something that should have been realised days after they were released. Not over a year later. There's pictures & videos of Jmods visiting maxed players while they are hunting effigies. Did it suddenly click "Oh lets nerf it".

Yeah, it was incredibly stupid for them to just suddenly nerf effigies like that. But I suppose it's better late than never, right? They really could have handled this better...

They could have done it better, like limiting it to 30k a day just like the assistance system

Doing big bang changes either way isn't so good

The problem is that nobody knew what would happen with Effigies a month or even a few months after their release. Not everyone is an Effigyscaper too, so about 95% of players are unaffected by this update and won't even know the difference.

People stopped training skills legitimately once effigies came out. Now they are butthurt that they don't have an easy way out.

You could take the "Vezon Fenrak Approach" to skilling. "If you don't like the skill, don't train it."

Ever since effigies, the game has been about maxing more than anything. It shortened the time to max by only a little, comparable to for example urns, penance horn, penguins etc. all put to together. That is a lot for one update, but not game-breaking. The main thing is you can max out with combat now (mostly) and skillers feel left out. Imagine you could only get effigies from fishing rocktails, cutting ivy etc.. Would all the people who would then be 'effigyscapers' be happy if they got basically removed?

Jagex is just stupid. They didn't consider the implications of adding effigies and now, over a year later, they feel the game has become too much about them. Instead of just buffing non-effigy xp rates and/or lowering effigy xp, they come up with this solution, which completely ruins the 'saving' and 'opening yourself' aspect of effigies.

This is exactly how I feel, I wanted to open my effigies myself not have somebody else do them for me. It gave me an incentive to train my skills. Now if you do not have to skills to open the effigy you get, you will get a reduced effigy rate until you get it opened.

They never intended for them to become so prevalent to RS. They were supposed to be a little bonus. All they did was fix their mistake

Somebody agrees with me here. I just think that the playerbase has forgotten that the game isn't just about combat skills.

Which will work just fine until the next time they add a game-changing high level update to a previously terrible skill without looking at whether the skill is worth training or not. It's like Dungeoneering for people that hate dungeoneering: They're going to train it anyway because the rewards are necessary to be able to compete everywhere else.

It's not like they weren't just a little bonus before. Effigies are/were pretty rare before the update, people just saved them so that they could do them later.

I wouldn't if dg didn't require these dumb skills to be trained.

P0lPXdo.png

The problem is that nobody knew what would happen with Effigies a month or even a few months after their release. Not everyone is an Effigyscaper too, so about 95% of players are unaffected by this update and won't even know the difference.

I am sorry but I just don't feel you have a grasp of how significant this update is for most people.

Which will work just fine until the next time they add a game-changing high level update to a previously terrible skill without looking at whether the skill is worth training or not. It's like Dungeoneering for people that hate dungeoneering: They're going to train it anyway because the rewards are necessary to be able to compete everywhere else.

I still don't have a rapier, and I find that I don't need it.

I still don't have juju farming potions, and I find that I don't need it.

I still don't have a packyak, and I find that I don't need it.

I still don't have dreadnips, and I find that I don't need it.

The list goes on.

+3

All comments get a +1 from me here :)

Effigyscapers had their fun, while it lasted... I'm also VERY glad that Jagex didn't announce that this was coming :)

ANYWHO, 4 pages of whining about effigies, can we focus on the quest now?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The ranger skeletons in Dungeoneering have had their impact sounds quietened.

About time they fixed this, maybe now I won't jump every time I get attacked by these.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

Is it bad that this update doesn't make me angry? I feel that effigies were just a nice little bonus you got while training combat/slayer/camping monsters for cash. I think that's how it was intended to be. This just makes it even more-so like that.

Then again, I was the kind of person who always did an effigy when I received it instead of hoarding. They could have handled it better, and not sprung it on people a year and a half after release. But whatcha gonna do, they did.

More ontopic now,

Can't wait to try the fight kiln. Gonna get Torva+Divine from a buddy and give it a go tomorrow, hopefully it will be do-able on my 7-10FPS :D. Some info on quest length would be nice too.

paulsig.gif

Cloud1924.png

Cloud1924.png

And so the world will end. I think a victim of love rather than hate, for love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

That's ridiculous, just like you're saying 'effigyscapers' are 'butthurt' I could say you are, because you are a bit unlucky with effigy drops.

I'm not sure how many people get effigy drops at reasonable intervals, but it's definitely much more than 5%, given the popularity of Assist Clan, w117 Daemonheim and the number of people hunting cave crawlers etc.

This isn't about whether effigies should provide less xp. It's about the way of nerfing them. This way, everyone who has an effigy right now has to dump it ASAP to get the better xp rates. It basically penalizes you for playing the way the game was meant to be played. Because playing to achieve your goal is how the game is meant to be played.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It would have been a lot better if, weeks ago, they said...

"Hey guys, in a few weeks we wil be changing how effigies work, because they providing what we had intended to the game"

Adding it as an "In other news:"... just takes the piss.

RIP Michaelangelopolous