Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Effigy nerf

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

DRUMINATOR17
[ Display Name History ]

DRUMINATOR17

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Inefficient / useless to hunt

Because those were the only ways of obtaining effigies......?

I see now you edited that first post.

Edited by DRUMINATOR17, 14 February 2012 - 07:56 PM.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK
Posted Image
Posted Image
List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:The Ancient
My main point is that there's very little motivation to hunt those now at any level. Maybe other than to train summoning. But jagex doesnt realize this update has a significant monetary / game content cost.
Posted Image
Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

rudes7
[ Display Name History ]

rudes7

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
For the first time ever i was able to do my daily rc assists in less than 5 mins. this update is beneficial for those with the high levels required to open effigies but it forces lower levels to open their effigies without being able to stock pile them till they get the levels they need. :) / :(

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
The funny thing is that people are now going to rely on assists even more for xp
Which is even more "game breaking" than effigies
Posted Image

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Winarr
[ Display Name History ]

Winarr

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • RSN:Winarr
  • RSN2:X Winnar X

"Before it gets worse" was SIX MONTHS A YEAR AGO.

This is too late, and happens to be actually worse than never, now that all these players already have had the advantage of them. Players who weren't fighting high level monsters or weren't able to now won't have this benefit, putting the other players that much more ahead of them.

This.

Maxing just got 2x+ longer for those who dont have effigy skills. Should've been fixed soon after it came out, or not at all.

But In jagexs eyes, it only effects a SMALL number of people so it's perfectly fine. RoW Corp anyone?
Posted Image

DRUMINATOR17
[ Display Name History ]

DRUMINATOR17

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

My main point is that there's very little motivation to hunt those now at any level. Maybe other than to train summoning. But jagex doesnt realize this update has a significant monetary / game content cost.

I can spot you that.

It's just that before you edited that first post with all the GG's, you made it sound like those were the only ways to obtain effigies period. Just sounded much more like a EVERYONE involved statement, which now stepping back and looking at the edit and you're last few posts, seems to be more a YOU statement.

Either way, folks tend to look at updates and how they effect THEM first before looking how they effect EVERYONE. Which is human nature, but might at times be slightly subjective.

That being said, I guess I could have came out worse off if I was a few hundred levels lower. I will still get my 10-12m exp day in the future and be a large chunk of exp closer to my max cape. Shame I will have to do it with only 67 / 75 effigies that I was trying to get tho... :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Posted Image
List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D
It seems to me that Jagex has, once again, reacted to a grandfathered problem in a totally backwards manner. Not to mention, the whole way they mentioned this issue gives me the feeling that they're not sure about their approach. I feel like, if Jagex really wanted to fix the problem that effigies allegedly caused, then they should start by reworking the skills, such that training with effigies really is just a side bonus, like it was intended to.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

miracleman58
[ Display Name History ]

miracleman58

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,199 posts
  • RSN:The Diamond
Effigy nerf should have been done sooner but then again Jagex probably didnt expect SUOMI to get 100m RC exp without picking up a piece or rune Essence.

That shows the power of Effigies. We dont need to be gettin them ever 90 mins and rage when we dont. They should have been implemented as a little reward for training combat, every 4+ hours or so.

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

DRUMINATOR17
[ Display Name History ]

DRUMINATOR17

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

The funny thing is that people are now going to rely on assists even more for xp
Which is even more "game breaking" than effigies

Funny Part is, you are right. The more and more I look at this whole effigy change, the more it pushes the two sides of the community further apart.

And the more and more it benefits me / the higher level / elitest side of the community over the regular / average players. (all 500 effigys used for xp record days aside.)

As much exp as people have gotten off effigies, I think its easily safe to say that more people have gotten 30k RC exp a day for example, then they have gotten multiple effigies daily.

Without a doubt, you could prolly check my exp on runetracker, and all those RC assists will easily tally up to as much as or more exp then I could ever get opening my 67 effigies right now and using them all on RC...
Posted Image
Posted Image

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
IMO the best way to solve the perceived effigy problem is to reduce droprate by a factor of 2. The other limitations are unnecessary.
Posted Image

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin

IMO the best way to solve the perceived effigy problem is to reduce droprate by a factor of 2. The other limitations are unnecessary.

This. I'm also up for slashing the base drop rate by a factor 2, halving xp per effigy and adding effigies to various skilling methods. E.g. a 1/5000 chance of getting an effigy from a concentrated gold rock? Given that you can mine easily over a thousand ores per hour, that would add a lot of effigy xp to skills that are "properly" trained.
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Cow
[ Display Name History ]

Cow

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • RSN:Renoux
1) was this necessary?
I don't think it was necessary. We've had 18 months of effigies, the damage has been done. That being said, I think that restrictions of some kind should have been on effigies since the start. I'd prefer they make actually training the skills enjoyable/rewarding rather than removing the other options of training. That's just lazy.

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game?
TBH when they were released I didn't think so, but after so long: Runecrafting = effigies. They've been in the game for long enough for me to not care.

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?
No. Lazy restrictions that screw people who were hoarding to use later, IE people with longterm plans rather than assisting all the exp away and getting a tiny reward. Also, their habit of hiding game-changing content in small "in other news" sections is bullshit.

I'd also like to add that I thought the original intention was to provide encouragement for combat players to raise their skills up, to be able to open all of the stages. Now that they can't be stored, it kind of seems like encouragement to just go to 117 daemonheim or wherever and get your 25k xp dragonkin lamp.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

zoth01
[ Display Name History ]

zoth01

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • RSN:skiller11101

Bosses ruined with this update:
Glacors
Miths
Zammy
Ganoderms

GG 4 repeatable batches of content
GG motivation to max
GG years of subscription

This is just stupid. You played for years? Then what did you do before effigies were implemented?

Gotta love people whinning about every update. You can have your own opinion, but dramatizing over things that aren't ruined is just silly. If you can't train a skill training the skill, then don't do it.

Posted Image

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts

Bosses ruined with this update:
Glacors
Miths
Zammy
Ganoderms

GG 4 repeatable batches of content
GG motivation to max
GG years of subscription

This is just stupid. You played for years? Then what did you do before effigies were implemented?

Gotta love people whinning about every update. You can have your own opinion, but dramatizing over things that aren't ruined is just silly. If you can't train a skill training the skill, then don't do it.

No I mean a lot of people will quit earlier because of this update. Hence jagex will lose years worth of subscription revenue.
Posted Image

Arthu
[ Display Name History ]

Arthu

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • RSN:Arttu
I'm excited. I'm happy. I'm insert-million-positive-things here.
If you're mad, chances are you deserved this. ^^

1) I don't understand the question.
2) Unanswered, as it's not to be decided by me.
3) Yes. I do agree with the way. Totally.
Posted Image
99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.
9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?
Posted Image
I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

That's a massive assumption, and really misguided.

hzvjpwS.gif

Leik
[ Display Name History ]

Leik

Super Moderator

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,584 posts
  • RSN:Leik
I'm incredibly pissed about this update. Getting effigy drops is/was the major reason for why I loved slayer so much. It makes absolutely no difference whether you stock up on effigies for months or open them as you get them for months. Plus, this completely screws over players who can't open effigies themselves. I can understand lowering the drop rates of effigies. That's very understandable. But to limit us to 5 effigies? There's absolutely no logic behind that.

Jagex hit a new low with this update. I have lost all faith in them, to be honest.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

If anything, I'm mad because all of the people who DIDN'T deserve it got what they wanted, and everybody else is going to be left behind, in addition to being hassled to stop slaying when they get one unless they're already far enough to use all effigies on the spot.

In general, I disapprove of updates that heavily favor circumstantial rewards over actual effort. It all goes back to holiday rares, and continues to today, where the tradition is to screw over anybody who isn't able to access the content on the first day, either indirectly by allowing some untested glitch to disrupt the game's balance and then patching it without dealing with the consequences, or it eventually becoming obsolete or nigh unplayable due to post update regrets leading to terrible decisions like this, either long after the change has any bearing on the situation, or perceiving some "imbalance" when there isn't any, or just ignoring some problems entirely. The tendency to attribute some sort of "greatness" to anybody with the fortune to have played before somebody else is almost disgusting.

New players and even mid to upper level players have these updates dropped in their laps while the people who repeatedly profit from these mistakes stay on top. Safespots are removed. Massive surplus stock of rare items ends up in their hands. They max out on exp while everybody else has to run endlessly to do worse than them. They don't have to deal with the consequences, but reap most if not all of the profits. Where is the justice in that?

8f14270694.jpg

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
The funny thing is, I have been "retired" for a while but I was considering giving the game another chance after seeomg all the nice changes they made recently such as removing a lot of the bots, adding Storm of Armadyl, the changes to allow bound items like extremes in BOBs, this new spiffy-looking minigame, etc... But then today's nerf removed almost all of the goodwill they had built up with me and made me completely reconsider returning to the game. In fact, it made me glad I didn't still play because I don't really have anything vested in the game. If I did, I would be furious about it.
Posted Image

Arthu
[ Display Name History ]

Arthu

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • RSN:Arttu

If anything, I'm mad because all of the people who DIDN'T deserve it got what they wanted, and everybody else is going to be left behind, in addition to being hassled to stop slaying when they get one unless they're already far enough to use all effigies on the spot.

In general, I disapprove of updates that heavily favor circumstantial rewards over actual effort. It all goes back to holiday rares, and continues to today, where the tradition is to screw over anybody who isn't able to access the content on the first day.

True, but this happens both ways - the game gives, the game takes. The game changes. In my opinion, the players should adapt to it. If the game would not change, it would become boring eventually. So the game will change, eventually. For good.

It's just a game, afterall. I feel unsure why people are getting unhappy over minor changes.
Posted Image
99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.
9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?
Posted Image
I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users