Effigy nerf

TheAncient

IMO the best way to solve the perceived effigy problem is to reduce droprate by a factor of 2. The other limitations are unnecessary.

This. I'm also up for slashing the base drop rate by a factor 2, halving xp per effigy and adding effigies to various skilling methods. E.g. a 1/5000 chance of getting an effigy from a concentrated gold rock? Given that you can mine easily over a thousand ores per hour, that would add a lot of effigy xp to skills that are "properly" trained.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) was this necessary?

I don't think it was necessary. We've had 18 months of effigies, the damage has been done. That being said, I think that restrictions of some kind should have been on effigies since the start. I'd prefer they make actually training the skills enjoyable/rewarding rather than removing the other options of training. That's just lazy.

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game?

TBH when they were released I didn't think so, but after so long: Runecrafting = effigies. They've been in the game for long enough for me to not care.

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?

No. Lazy restrictions that screw people who were hoarding to use later, IE people with longterm plans rather than assisting all the exp away and getting a tiny reward. Also, their habit of hiding game-changing content in small "in other news" sections is bullshit.

I'd also like to add that I thought the original intention was to provide encouragement for combat players to raise their skills up, to be able to open all of the stages. Now that they can't be stored, it kind of seems like encouragement to just go to 117 daemonheim or wherever and get your 25k xp dragonkin lamp.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

Bosses ruined with this update:

Glacors

Miths

Zammy

Ganoderms

GG 4 repeatable batches of content

GG motivation to max

GG years of subscription

This is just stupid. You played for years? Then what did you do before effigies were implemented?

Gotta love people whinning about every update. You can have your own opinion, but dramatizing over things that aren't ruined is just silly. If you can't train a skill training the skill, then don't do it.

Skiller11101.png

Bosses ruined with this update:

Glacors

Miths

Zammy

Ganoderms

GG 4 repeatable batches of content

GG motivation to max

GG years of subscription

This is just stupid. You played for years? Then what did you do before effigies were implemented?

Gotta love people whinning about every update. You can have your own opinion, but dramatizing over things that aren't ruined is just silly. If you can't train a skill training the skill, then don't do it.

No I mean a lot of people will quit earlier because of this update. Hence jagex will lose years worth of subscription revenue.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I'm excited. I'm happy. I'm insert-million-positive-things here.

If you're mad, chances are you deserved this. ^^

1) I don't understand the question.

2) Unanswered, as it's not to be decided by me.

3) Yes. I do agree with the way. Totally.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

I'm incredibly pissed about this update. Getting effigy drops is/was the major reason for why I loved slayer so much. It makes absolutely no difference whether you stock up on effigies for months or open them as you get them for months. Plus, this completely screws over players who can't open effigies themselves. I can understand lowering the drop rates of effigies. That's very understandable. But to limit us to 5 effigies? There's absolutely no logic behind that.

Jagex hit a new low with this update. I have lost all faith in them, to be honest.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

That's a massive assumption, and really misguided.

If anything, I'm mad because all of the people who DIDN'T deserve it got what they wanted, and everybody else is going to be left behind, in addition to being hassled to stop slaying when they get one unless they're already far enough to use all effigies on the spot.

In general, I disapprove of updates that heavily favor circumstantial rewards over actual effort. It all goes back to holiday rares, and continues to today, where the tradition is to screw over anybody who isn't able to access the content on the first day, either indirectly by allowing some untested glitch to disrupt the game's balance and then patching it without dealing with the consequences, or it eventually becoming obsolete or nigh unplayable due to post update regrets leading to terrible decisions like this, either long after the change has any bearing on the situation, or perceiving some "imbalance" when there isn't any, or just ignoring some problems entirely. The tendency to attribute some sort of "greatness" to anybody with the fortune to have played before somebody else is almost disgusting.

New players and even mid to upper level players have these updates dropped in their laps while the people who repeatedly profit from these mistakes stay on top. Safespots are removed. Massive surplus stock of rare items ends up in their hands. They max out on exp while everybody else has to run endlessly to do worse than them. They don't have to deal with the consequences, but reap most if not all of the profits. Where is the justice in that?

8f14270694.jpg

The funny thing is, I have been "retired" for a while but I was considering giving the game another chance after seeomg all the nice changes they made recently such as removing a lot of the bots, adding Storm of Armadyl, the changes to allow bound items like extremes in BOBs, this new spiffy-looking minigame, etc... But then today's nerf removed almost all of the goodwill they had built up with me and made me completely reconsider returning to the game. In fact, it made me glad I didn't still play because I don't really have anything vested in the game. If I did, I would be furious about it.

td2sig.jpg

If anything, I'm mad because all of the people who DIDN'T deserve it got what they wanted, and everybody else is going to be left behind, in addition to being hassled to stop slaying when they get one unless they're already far enough to use all effigies on the spot.

In general, I disapprove of updates that heavily favor circumstantial rewards over actual effort. It all goes back to holiday rares, and continues to today, where the tradition is to screw over anybody who isn't able to access the content on the first day.

True, but this happens both ways - the game gives, the game takes. The game changes. In my opinion, the players should adapt to it. If the game would not change, it would become boring eventually. So the game will change, eventually. For good.

It's just a game, afterall. I feel unsure why people are getting unhappy over minor changes.

hvXho.png

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

In general, I disapprove of updates that heavily favor circumstantial rewards over actual effort. It all goes back to holiday rares, and continues to today, where the tradition is to screw over anybody who isn't able to access the content on the first day.

True, but this happens both ways - the game gives, the game takes. The game changes. In my opinion, the players should adapt to it. If the game would not change, it would become boring eventually. So the game will change, eventually. For good.

It's just a game, afterall. I feel unsure why people are getting unhappy over minor changes.

This is anything but a minor change. Unless they react to the shitstorm by further changing it, the impact this has on almost all aspects of the game is huge.

td2sig.jpg

I'm incredibly pissed about this update. Getting effigy drops is/was the major reason for why I loved slayer so much. It makes absolutely no difference whether you stock up on effigies for months or open them as you get them for months. Plus, this completely screws over players who can't open effigies themselves. I can understand lowering the drop rates of effigies. That's very understandable. But to limit us to 5 effigies? There's absolutely no logic behind that.

Jagex hit a new low with this update. I have lost all faith in them, to be honest.

The faith was lost long ago within the community really.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

1) was this necessary? NO.

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game? YES.

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf? NO.

5 at a time? Pathetic. Just half the drop rate and let us keep collecting them. I love(d) doing slayer and collecting the effigies along the way. Most of the people happy with this are maxed players and ones that have never got effigies before.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

The game gives....to players who can get into the new content and potential exploits before Jagex tries to "fix" it. The game takes....from everybody who has to deal with the "fixes" and losing out on the temporary benefits given by the mistakes, which range from minor to omg20sigils, spiked boots, and scamming at the duel arena for millions. This has almost consistently happened up to now, with the exception of a FEW updates which were almost immediately overshadowed by another mistake.

Hell, the "early bird" special wasn't even necessary, Jagex just reinforces the dominance with that one.

8f14270694.jpg

It seems to me that the group of people supporting this update have a misguided view as to why the people against this update do so.

The reason people are so mad about this update is not the fact that the effigy drop-rate has been reduced, hence making actual skilling better than collecting effigies. The people against this update, in general, are fine with this.

The reason people are so angry with it is because those without the skills to open them have to go get an assist to make use of them. I, personally, was saving my effigies from my road to 99 slayer until I could open them all on my own which would have been a nice reward for training those particular skills. This update does not affect maxed/near-maxed players nearly as much as the 'supporters' are making out and effigy-scape is still as viable for them as ever.

This update, instead of stopping effigy-scape, hurts medium-high total level players (a large proportion of the RS population) who are unable to open their own effigies that they have collected doing various combat-based activities (Slayer and Bossing) but plan on getting the effigy requirements in the future. This type of player is not nearly as uncommon as the supporters seem to make out. In-fact, most of my friends list is in this category, meaning that they either stop doing things they enjoy (Slayer/Bossing) and get all their skills able to open all effigies before starting up these activities again, or suffer a severe amounts of lost experience.

A much better way to implement this update would have been to reduce effigy drop-rates enough to make effigy-hunting for the purpose of raising skills inefficient compared to doing the actual skill rather than making a 5 effigy limit. This would make effigy-scape non-viable from an efficiency standpoint, but not harm those players who receive effigies as a 'bonus' drop from doing activities they enjoy such as slayer and bossing.

Instead, the way Jagex implemented this update means if you want to play for efficiency sake, and want to max at some point (Come on, admit it. This is the ultimate goal of almost every Runescape Player) you have to get all effigy skills to their required levels before doing any Slayer or Boss-hunting. I have heard that the drop-rate when you only have 1 effigy has not been maxed overly much and so it is still very viable to play the effigy-scape if you are near maxed/maxed.

Sorry for the rant, however, I thought it was important to state that must people against this update are not angry due to the nerfed drop-rates, but angry because the nice bonus gained from getting an effigy drop before you are maxed (and saving for when you are close) has just disappeared.

This is anything but a minor change. Unless they react to the shitstorm by further changing it, the impact this has on almost all aspects of the game is huge.

Which is even more a reason to be excited.

A good gamer uses any temporary and seemingly permanent mechanics to his or her own advantage. A good gamer thinks about innovative solutions and attempts to have fun, regardless of the obstacles they might get in front of themselves.

If you believe the impact is huge, the game has just received an update which allows the game to be played the way it probably should be.

After I've accomplished everything I have wanted in the game using current and previous game mechanics, I am looking forward to making a new account, and replaying through the game with the mechanics it will provide by then.

hvXho.png

w85p2012-1.png

why in the hell would you prefer half the drop rate just to hoard them? If anything, slayer drop rates should be uneffected, you can bank 5 max and if you have 2,3,4 the drop rate doesnt go down (so you dont have to leave combat to open) and cave crawlers/mumies should be nerfed (and maybe tds/glacors, but debatable.)

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Effigy nerf should have been done sooner but then again Jagex probably didnt expect SUOMI to get 100m RC exp without picking up a piece or rune Essence.

That shows the power of Effigies. We dont need to be gettin them ever 90 mins and rage when we dont. They should have been implemented as a little reward for training combat, every 4+ hours or so.

Why? You make claims with no basis for your statement.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Half the drop-rate makes effigy-scape non-viable from an efficiency viewpoint but doesn't screw over those medium-high total level players who want to Slay and Boss before they have the skills required to open all effigies.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'd be willing to bet that there's a sizable portion of Runescape who was stockpiling effigies in hopes of getting massive experience in whatever future skill is released, if it ever is released, who are upset with this update because they can no longer stockpile them.

Towards the comment that X bosses are ruined, please don't make the assumption that everyone killing bosses are for effigies, they do drop things that are worth money. I feel as though you are confusing what jagex had intended them to be hunted for be it boots/claws, and instead hunting what can I say the "gifts".

I would prefer to have 100 X drop in my bank than effigies, but hey that's just me, I dont see it as a "loss of exp" like some people.

Effigies broke the highscores table. Honestly, if that's a problem, I'm not the only one who thought of a limit on effigies/day you can open.

Secondly... skill training. I'm just gonna attack RC because it's the easiest.

RC is a useless skill. It is consiered unfun by most players and has one of, if not the, worst exp in the game. Training a skill with effigies as opposed to normal training is wrong. Leveling the skill without training the skill should not be efficient.

But, use a little common sense here. The real problem isn't that effigies are broken and give too much exp (daily exp is easily fixed, put a cap on opening effigies to fix exp records,) the problem is that some skills are so grindy and give so little exp in the first place. (Effigies may be a broken way to gain exp in skills anyways but that's largely irrelevant until RC and other skills are fixed.)

There's something Jagex has forgotten. When Jagex first made the formula for skill levels, level 99 was made to be a virtually unobtainable level. In many skills, this fundamental truth of the early game is still true.

The problem is, most skills don't increase in exp as you level up nearly as much as they should.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'd be willing to bet that there's a sizable portion of Runescape who was stockpiling effigies in hopes of getting massive experience in whatever future skill is released, if it ever is released, who are upset with this update because they can no longer stockpile them.

This could be a part of the reasoning behind limiting it to 5 at a time.

Personally, it's screwed up some of my plans slightly with the limit of 5.

Effigies broke the highscores table. Honestly, if that's a problem, I'm not the only one who thought of a limit on effigies/day you can open.

A limit on effigies per day that I can open wouldn't bother me. A limit on effigies I'm able to store in my bank does. They are both quite different.

Secondly... skill training. I'm just gonna attack RC because it's the easiest.

RC is a useless skill. It is consiered unfun by most players and has one of, if not the, worst exp in the game. Training a skill with effigies as opposed to normal training is wrong. Leveling the skill without training the skill should not be efficient.

But, use a little common sense here. The real problem isn't that effigies are broken and give too much exp (daily exp is easily fixed, put a cap on opening effigies to fix exp records,) the problem is that some skills are so grindy and give so little exp in the first place. (Effigies may be a broken way to gain exp in skills anyways but that's largely irrelevant until RC and other skills are fixed.)

There's something Jagex has forgotten. When Jagex first made the formula for skill levels, level 99 was made to be a virtually unobtainable level. In many skills, this fundamental truth of the early game is still true.

The problem is, most skills don't increase in exp as you level up nearly as much as they should.

This is what makes me the maddest. Jagex, in typical fashion, took the easy way out and slapped a bandage on the issue rather than approaching the issue itself directly. The problem is that RC is eyeball-numbingly grindy. Instead of altering the exp rates so that making bloods/laws/deaths gave substantially more exp than they currently do to overall make training the skill less of a cabbageing chore and give players a REASON to level RC by doing the skill itself, they chose the quickest solution-- nerf the effigies. It just reeks of lazy programming.

td2sig.jpg