Effigy nerf

TheAncient

Effigy nerf should have been done sooner but then again Jagex probably didnt expect SUOMI to get 100m RC exp without picking up a piece or rune Essence.

That shows the power of Effigies. We dont need to be gettin them ever 90 mins and rage when we dont. They should have been implemented as a little reward for training combat, every 4+ hours or so.

Why? You make claims with no basis for your statement.

The basis being RC and maybe slayer and agility can be trained as fast or faster by collecting Effigies.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Effigy nerf should have been done sooner but then again Jagex probably didnt expect SUOMI to get 100m RC exp without picking up a piece or rune Essence.

That shows the power of Effigies. We dont need to be gettin them ever 90 mins and rage when we dont. They should have been implemented as a little reward for training combat, every 4+ hours or so.

The basis being RC and maybe slayer and agility can be trained as fast or faster by collecting Effigies.

And that's an inherent flaw in the skills themselves. Nerfing effigies is NOT the proper fix. Instead of nerfing effigies, they ought to have increased the exp you get at high levels in those skills.

td2sig.jpg

Seems like an idiotic knee-jerk reaction to mummy farming. If anything this update just proves that Jagex, more now than ever, has very little understanding of the community and what it wants. It seems like every year they get a little bit worse about that.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

1)Yes.

2)No.

3)They take too long like everything else. But whatever, it's Jagex... beer first work later.

I think I have gotten maybe 5 or 6 in my lifetime so I am not really effected.

It's nice to see that people won't be able to afk train everything that I had to work on to get all 99s.

Also, I heard of a nice spot to get mummy champion scrolls.

Now that the afk effigy [bleep] are gone I can try it out.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Towards the comment that X bosses are ruined, please don't make the assumption that everyone killing bosses are for effigies, they do drop things that are worth money. I feel as though you are confusing what jagex had intended them to be hunted for be it boots/claws, and instead hunting what can I say the "gifts".

I would prefer to have 100 X drop in my bank than effigies, but hey that's just me, I dont see it as a "loss of exp" like some people.

This update removed any motivation I had to keep playing RS. I have no buyables left (99 herb will come in time as I use/make overloads and 99 fletching will come when I finish off Livid Farm), I'm already 99 slayer, I'm already 99 summoning, and I have all the armor/weapons I want. I wanted to slowly work towards a Comp Cape but now I will be forced to babysit my character for hours on end as it fishes, mines, woodcuts, etc which require almost no user input to train. Agility and runecrafting are both a contest of what will happen first: die of boredom running in circles or a repetitive strain injury. My way of getting a comp cape was going to consist of a few hours of grinding, followed by a few hour break at Glacors in hopes of an effigy to cut down on the mindless grind. The charms have no value to me, the drops have no value to me, but on average an effigy saves me 57 minutes of grinding mindless skills.

I have 50 or so effigies in my bank that I cannot open until I have raised grind skills. It will take me 280 hours to get all my effigy skills into boosting range of 97. That is 280 hours that I can no longer take breaks at Glacors (or any other PVM spot) because there is nothing of value (to me) that they drop.

I see this as nothing more than yet another money making scheme from Jagex, forcing players to grind longer and thus pay for memberships for longer. I feel sorry for anyone who wants to play smartly and efficiently yet is not already 99 slayer. They must now spend hundreds of hours on mindless grinds before training one of the TWO non-combat skills that isn't 100% repetitive (slayer and dungeoneering). These kinds of changes don't encourage new players and only infuriate long time players.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Nice try, but ultimately illogical. You may "think" that it goes against game design to train a skill with effigies, but you can neither prove nor give evidence to support your claim. As such, your claim that they should be roughly 2.5 times as rare (from 90 minutes to 4 hours) to slow down bonus XP rate is baseless. I make no such claims, to read the mind of the devs, and as such my stance, the skills should be designed better (An opinion, rather then a stance based on flawed reasoning and assumptions) is, even though its simply an opinion, more valid, from a logical standpoint.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

There's literally no benefit to using a Dragonkin Lamp on a new skill.

At level 1 in a new skill, you will obtain 4 Xp from it.

The people stockpiling them are doing so for XP records. They're most likely already maxed, and going after 200M stats. Not planning on using 300 Effigies on a brand new skill.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Effegys or however I should write it should never have been released, such things ruined the game.

But once it exists you shouldn't go back, just simply stop continuing to ruin I mean affecting the game, Jagex has done this too often anyway.

Leave us alone Jagex, you guys already ruined enough!

Nice try, but ultimately illogical. You may "think" that it goes against game design to train a skill with effigies, but you can neither prove nor give evidence to support your claim. As such, your claim that they should be roughly 2.5 times as rare (from 90 minutes to 4 hours) to slow down bonus XP rate is baseless. I make no such claims, to read the mind of the devs, and as such my stance, the skills should be designed better (An opinion, rather then a stance based on flawed reasoning and assumptions) is, even though its simply an opinion, more valid, from a logical standpoint.

Without Effigies no one would be complaining about skill exp rates being low in the first place. An effigy shouldnt beat a skill in exp and time but that is what happened and JAGEX had enough of it i suppose. Remember, Skills came before Effigies... Easier for them to nerf effigies than rework a few skills majorly, either way they would both be gamebreaking and this way was probably easier - we all know JAGEX like the easy way.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Without Effigies no one would be complaining about skill exp rates being low in the first place. An effigy shouldnt beat a skill in exp and time but that is what happened and JAGEX had enough of it i suppose. Remember, Skills came before Effigies... Easier for them to nerf effigies than rework a few skills majorly, either way they would both be gamebreaking and this way was probably easier - we all know JAGEX like the easy way.

Again, you're not supporting your initial claim at all, just spouting a lot of claims that don't link at all, or clash with my counter argument.

For one, why, all of a sudden, POOF Jagex magically has enough of it? Is that true? Maybe. Can you prove it or give evidence for it? No.

And people always complained about low XP in RC etc before effigies...

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

There's literally no benefit to using a Dragonkin Lamp on a new skill.

At level 1 in a new skill, you will obtain 4 Xp from it.

The people stockpiling them are doing so for XP records. They're most likely already maxed, and going after 200M stats. Not planning on using 300 Effigies on a brand new skill.

That's why you save them until you get to level 80+.

I always felt--and I'll probably get flamed to hell for saying this--that effigies fitted in the same category as Pest Control did when it was first released. Popular amongst players because of the high rewards it offers, but for the same reason, ultimately over-powered and rendering other features of the game redundant. There is a role for them, as there was and still is for Pest Control, and that role is to provide bonus xp for slaying high levelled monsters, but the role shouldn't be to replace training the skill itself.

I'm not going to say players "abused" effigies, because Jagex put them there for players to use. But the efficiency with which they were being used to train Runecrafting etc. is too high.

I don't collect effigies, however I'm dissappointed with how Jagex implemented this nerf.

If instead of a radical NOW IT IS FIVE AND ONLY FIVE EFFIGIES!!!!!, they could have said: "We feel the approach to effigies has unbalanced skill training in the game. As such, we will slowly be scaling back how many effigies can be collected by players. Starting today, the drop rate for effigies will begin to reduce at 50 and completely stop at 100. Over the next four months, this will be steadily reduced to where drop rate slows at 5 effiegies and stopping at 10. This brings effigies more in line to other diversions and distractions like penguin points where experience can be saved, but only up to a certain amount."

Such a change would still have had complaints, but I would be less inclined to care about such complaints. If they slowed the drop rate at five effigies, it gave players a chance to bank a few and have a chance to get a player to unlock it without thinking they're hurting themselves if they keep slaying.

As of now, ithe update is just a slap in the face.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Without Effigies no one would be complaining about skill exp rates being low in the first place.

Simply untrue. If there are multiple skills that have methods of gaining 70-90k/hr, but there are a few that get as low as 30-45k/hr, I would consider that slow regardless of effigies. I never trained with effigies and I still have the sense to realize that Runecrafting is abysmally slow! Come on now....

hzvjpwS.gif

I always felt--and I'll probably get flamed to hell for saying this--that effigies fitted in the same category as Pest Control did when it was first released. Popular amongst players because of the high rewards it offers, but for the same reason, ultimately over-powered and rendering other features of the game redundant. There is a role for them, as there was and still is for Pest Control, and that role is to provide bonus xp for slaying high levelled monsters, but the role shouldn't be to replace training the skill itself.

I'm not going to say players "abused" effigies, because Jagex put them there for players to use. But the efficiency with which they were being used to train Runecrafting etc. is too high.

The real issue is that "Runecrafting etc" is such an abysmal grind with low exp/h.

Effigies came before the Maxed cape. Effigies are (were) an intrinsic part of getting maxed. Yes, you could get maxed before then. You could get maxed before skill capes - but before skill capes, there were under 5 people maxed. Post skillcapes pre-Maxed cape, the first page of the highscores was maxed players.

Again, effigies came before the maxed cape. Effigies, stored in the bank and eventually opened yourself on the course to maxing out your character, become part of the game before the game had a practical use to maxing out.

I personally think training with effigies instead of training is against the spirit of the game. However, players should not be disallowed to use them to train other skills; rather, training a skill should be more efficient then effigies. With RC, it isn't. Effigies are also generally more fun to get; effigies come from combat, which is generally considered more fun then passive skilling, and some of the best effigy drop-ers are monster which you have to fight carefully and pay attention to, which makes a more engaging and generally a fight that is considered more fun.

[spoiler=Side note on Fun]

Despite what people say, you can objectivity the concept of Fun, to a certain extent. There is usually a general consensus on what is and isn't Fun. There are very, very few people who enjoy RC and therefore it isn't fun. Combat is generally considered more fun then non-combat. Engaging monster fights is generally split into two categories - those who enjoy the fast pace and more engaging gameplay, and those who dislike putting that much effort into combat.

Now, obviously there are people who enjoy RC. There are people who enjoy FM. You could probably find someone who enjoys RC more then passive combat (the "click and watch my character kill stuff style") AND active combat (the "I need to pay attention to what I do, where I'm standing, etc, or I'll die"). But most people like combat more.

Now, to "fix" effigies, you need the exp/h to be, say, at least 25% higher then effigy training is. And then you need to work on making it more fun, or failing that AFKable. (Ideal training methods for a skill is, in terms of exp/h, are: Click-intensive Direct Training Route > AFK Direct Training Route > Effigies.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

1) was this necessary?

Nope. Just nerfing mummies, perhaps, but I see it in a similar light to the way I see certain recent piracy issues. To put it simply, if there's a problem with people doing too much of something you don't want them to, the solution isn't to just try and make them stop; it's to have them want to stop. Make training things like RC more amusing, and I'm not talking about more little once-per-week things. Give people a reason to not hoard effigies, instead of just making it impossible.

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game?

In my opinion? Yes. They work well, reduce grinding at high levels, and get players to work together (whenever the stupid time limit is up).

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?

As usual, no. See the response to #1 if you really want to know more.

a70c7.png

This was COMPLETELY needed. The amount of effigies my friend was getting absolutely pisses me off. I went from being far ahead of him at 95 runecrafting, and within a MONTH he surpasses me from 82 Runecrafting. Seriously, what the hell.

Was it needed to be implemented in that fashion? Many, many people have pointed out that a limit on the amount of effigies openable in a day is far more reasonable.

Two. Your friend passing your RuneCrafting level from 82 is not a function of effigies being overpowered, but RC training being too slow.

I personally don't think effigy training is within the spirit of the game, nor do I like the fact that effigies can be faster then actual training. But given the grindfest that is RS, if something is giving more exp then it should, keep it as is and increase exp from other sources to make it obsolete.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

if you dont have fun training skills/playin the game the way its supposexd to be played, why do you even play.

hoarding effigies is sad.

What defines how RuneScape is 'supposed' to be played? The game isn't linear, so there's no real method that the game is 'supposed' to be played, except the notion that players should be playing legitimately - i.e. without bots or other third-party aids that could pose an unfair advantage.

Effigies are merely an alternative method of training - I hold no qualms against it. JaGex isn't wrong when they say that it may be deemed unfair that people can attain high skill levels without actually training or participating in the skills they're leveling, but it fails to justify their actions. The changes in effigies are not necessitated, and honestly causes more harm to the game than it benefits.

To reiterate points made previously by other users: The way to combat this isn't to significantly nerf the oversight; rather, the more beneficial choice would be to give players an incentive to partake in the skill itself as opposed to relying on effigies. Why must skills be so repetitive, mundane and menial? It's the core of a myriad of problems.

This was COMPLETELY needed. The amount of effigies my friend was getting absolutely pisses me off. I went from being far ahead of him at 95 runecrafting, and within a MONTH he surpasses me from 82 Runecrafting. Seriously, what the hell.

Jealousy is an ugly beast. And that is all I can glean from your comment I am afraid. And at any rate, if you had been training Runecrafting, or getting effigies too you could have got 99 runecrafting within that month and been ahead of him.

Just because you didn't seem to bother to go and get effigies/train RC does not mean that this update was COMPLETELY needed.

1) was this necessary?

Nope.

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game?

In my opinion: Yes. I was personally saving my own to use them myself once I had the skills. I have 58 effigies currently that I've been opening whenever I can... Regardless that I was going to throw them into RC once I hit level 85 in that skill.

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?

No. They put it in the other news, not expecting the (sometimes) diligent community to pick up on it, hoping just to gloss over so that no one realises and everyone focusses on the nice shiny update. No dice. THIS totally RUINED the update today for me personally, and I can't see me bothering with this new piece of content for a long while due to the anger it instills in me.

Personally now just waiting for the removal/dumbing down of Penguins and Troll Invasion, because Jagex forbid we ever actually do something fun to get exp in skills...

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Most people who say this was the perfect update fall into 2 categories: those with annoying skills already maxed (with or without effigies) and those who are so low level getting 99 seems like something unobtainable (newbies pretty much)