Effigy nerf

TheAncient

The people that are against the effigy update are people who have played rs for years before effigies were even released, so why is it much of an issuemit doesn't bother me because I can do without it as always.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for [bleep]ing up my plan for maxing out jagex...

This was a terrible way to fix the "supposed" effigy problem. Nerfing mummies I can understand, but this is ridiculous.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

To train runecrafting, you have to craft runes! To train fishing, you have to catch fish! To train slayer, you have to slay specific monsters! To train mining, you have to mine rocks!

A travesty of which I have never seens the likes of before!

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

To train runecrafting, you have to craft runes! To train fishing, you have to catch fish! To train slayer, you have to slay specific monsters! To train mining, you have to mine rocks!

You do know some people are not hoarding them in the bank for exp only, but as a motivation for us to train the skill we cannot use the effigy for?

Before this I would do Slayer, then do dailies/weeklys (Wicked Hood, Thieves Guild, Penguins etc) then back to Slayer or go do some more skilling

This update has just sated my desire to raise those skills that I cannot use an effigy for

1) was this necessary?

Jagex doesnt necessarily know what they are doing and this type of step was poorly implemented imo.

2) are effigies in the spirit of the game?

Not imo and never should of been put into the game as they were. They should of been alot less rewarding.

3) do you agree with the way jagex implemented their nerf?

No not really as it hurts those who dont have the skills for the effigies. I dont see why players should be restricted from hoarding effigies they dont yet have the skill for yet. (Or even higher xp rewards for a higher level in a skill through the lamp.) When ofcourse you factor in the fact how long effigies have been out already. There are better alternative solutions that make it more fair.

-

Effigies obviously made huge changes to the game from the day they put into the game. To make such a drastic change now, at such a late date, is mostly unfair for various reasons. Its also poorly implemented as there are better ways to achieve what they very well might be trying to achieve by simply restricting how many you can open a day. Rescuing already impossible to rescue records, previous mass xp-hoarding, etc.. (Making it mostly pointless) ..Rather than restricting the number you can hold at any point in time.

On the other hand they implement pretty much horrendous decisions as the norm by their usual standard... With bad communication thrown into the mix. This is better than usual. Its harsh..Not fair..But atleast its something controversial towards the better of the game. If that can be seen as a good point or not idk...

Im willing to give a nod of approval while simultaneously giving a face palm for just how poorly they continue to shine.

..And btw this update is a bonus for me. Assists are easier. Non-Effigy records are more intact. Its just bad for others mainly.

Like others have mentioned, most of my effigies were in my bank until I had the level to open them myself. It's stupid to give away all that xp to other players for free by using assist. Thanks a lot Jagex, you sure know how to fix things properly.

patr1ckotg1.png

Most people who say this was the perfect update fall into 2 categories: those with annoying skills already maxed (with or without effigies) and those who are so low level getting 99 seems like something unobtainable (newbies pretty much)

I fall into neither. Currently, I can't do any of the "mine/smith" effigies at all, and only up to nourished for the "fish/farm" (if I use an admiral pie). The rest I can do in one form or another. If I get one of those effigies I can't do on my own, I head right on over to W117 and get an assist. Henceforth why I really don't understand the complaining.

If you're (and I mean "you" in the general sense of everyone complaining) *that* concerned with being able to do all of your effigies yourself, then stop killing things and waste three, four or five months getting the adequate levels so you can do them. You were going to raise your skills, anyway, so why not do it now. As the saying goes, there's no time like the present. Simple.

You do know some people are not hoarding them in the bank for exp only, but as a motivation for us to train the skill we cannot use the effigy for?

Before this I would do Slayer, then do dailies/weeklys (Wicked Hood, Thieves Guild, Penguins etc) then back to Slayer or go do some more skilling

This update has just sated my desire to raise those skills that I cannot use an effigy for

icwutudidther

Personally, I maxed out using effigies, but only as drops from when I got 99 slayer. I did go out an hunt for effigies from time to time, but I never considered training a skill solely off effigies. I still got millions of xp per skill is manual way. I don't see what the big problem is, but that's partly because I never got too attached to effigies. To me they were always just nice to have an freak out about, but never something that I needed to train my skills. Thousands have done it without them, and thousands will do it without it now.

Most people who say this was the perfect update fall into 2 categories: those with annoying skills already maxed (with or without effigies) and those who are so low level getting 99 seems like something unobtainable (newbies pretty much)

I fall into neither. Currently, I can't do any of the "mine/smith" effigies at all, and only up to nourished for the "fish/farm" (if I use an admiral pie). The rest I can do in one form or another. If I get one of those effigies I can't do on my own, I head right on over to W117 and get an assist. Henceforth why I really don't understand the complaining.

If you're (and I mean "you" in the general sense of everyone complaining) *that* concerned with being able to do all of your effigies yourself, then stop killing things and waste three, four or five months getting the adequate levels so you can do them. You were going to raise your skills, anyway, so why not do it now. As the saying goes, there's no time like the present. Simple.

You fall into a third category, those who can do some of the effigies but not all of them

As already mentioned so many times, there should not be a limit on the effigies you can collect (nerf the drop rate if you want), but a limit on how many you can open or how much exp you can get from the effigy daily

I don't see the problem. First of all, effigies were designed so that lower levels had incentive to train to higher levels. Now, lower levels can't use te effigies to get to these levels, making them how jagex wanted them all along. IMO effigies were horrible, but what's been done is not I any way a 'nerf' of them. You still get full xp, and the time spent for those camping them is minuscule. They couldn't remove them now, so what they have done is not a step closer. This is the kind of thing we want from jagex; Caring about the game, and its veterans, not new people who lack the patience.

1) I support the reduced drop rate.. especially for those who camped effigies to train a skill..Previously everyone complained that the game had turned into effigyscape.. but as soon as jagex fixes that the wave turns around to complain about not enough effigies..

2) The limit of 5 in bank I'm partial on, Like suggested on the Rosf, maybe that could be fixed by setting the limit of effigies one person can open in a day to 3-5, so they dont get mass amounts of exp, as mat suggested was the reason for the nerf.

I'm still going to boss hunt like I usually do, If I get effigy so be it, if I don't, doesn't change the fact that I'll still PvM.

If You hate a skill enough to the point that you don't want o train it, then don't..How much more complicated is that. Do what you enjoy, shoot to complete your goals, and have fun doing it, but now you have to keep in mind, that if you want the prize at the end of the road, you will have to do things you won"t enjoy first.

triox1.pngtriox2.pngtriox3.png

2) The limit of 5 in bank I'm partial on, Like suggested on the Rosf, maybe that could be fixed by setting the limit of effigies one person can open in a day to 3-5, so they dont get mass amounts of exp, as mat suggested was the reason for the nerf.

The problem with the theory that Jagex implemented the 5 effigy cap in order to stop people from getting massive amounts of xp is slightly flawed. You can stockpile way more experience than a full bank of effigies would ever allow you to get by camping at Soul Wars. To a lesser extent, you can also look at Vinesweeper and sqi'rk (sp?) juice.

If You hate a skill enough to the point that you don't want o train it, then don't..How much more complicated is that. Do what you enjoy, shoot to complete your goals, and have fun doing it, but now you have to keep in mind, that if you want the prize at the end of the road, you will have to do things you won"t enjoy first.

I feel more "proud" of maxing the skills I dislike than the skills I do enjoy.

edit:

No

Yes

Who does agree with the implementation even if you do support the decision?

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

If Jagex wanted to stop effigy farmers they could have and should have taken the logical path.

All Jagex had to do is this:

Make effigies only dropped by:

-Bosses

-Slayer monsters on while on task

Simple. Take the path of least resistance Jagex, not the idiotic one you just took.

patr1ckotg1.png

If Jagex wanted to stop effigy farmers they could have and should have taken the logical path.

-Bosses

Simple. Take the path of least resistance Jagex, not the idiotic one you just took.

Bosses, specifically glacors and tds arewere amazing camping for effigies

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

-Bosses

Bosses, specifically glacors and tds arewere amazing camping for effigies

Yes, they had a decent drop rate. But they were not as consistent as crawlers or the other effigy farming methods. The effigy farming methods are more consistent due to the sheer number of kills in 'x' amount of time.

patr1ckotg1.png

-Bosses

I could get behind this. That sounds way better.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

I think Jagex needs to take a seminar in design/development. You don;t just pick the first solution that comes to your head, you brainstorm as many as you can, prototype them and than score them. Pick the best one.

patr1ckotg1.png

The problem with the theory that Jagex implemented the 5 effigy cap in order to stop people from getting massive amounts of xp is slightly flawed. You can stockpile way more experience than a full bank of effigies would ever allow you to get by camping at Soul Wars. To a lesser extent, you can also look at Vinesweeper and sqi'rk (sp?) juice.

edit:

No

Yes

Yes you could stockpile zeal, but they were smart enough to limit the skills you could cash them in for to a select few, geared especially towards combat, and on top of that, they also set a reduced exchange rate slayer and prayer so that training those skills with soul wars ( even if one chose to hoard points over a long period of time ) would be far less efficient than just slaying, or using an altar. Those who camped for effigies, did so for a more efficient way of training skills,however this I did not support, as they missed the whole point of the skill itself. The effigies could be used for anything, to which most people would camp just to train skills they disliked, but these minigames were limited to a set number of skills.

And feeling proud about maxing the skills you dislike is a good thing, It shows that you were willing to fight through it, regardless of the fact that you disliked it. That takes discipline,

edit:

No

Yes

Yes you could stockpile zeal, but they were smart enough to limit the skills you could cash them in for to a select few, geared especially towards combat, and on top of that, they also set a reduced exchange rate slayer and prayer so that training those skills with soul wars ( even if one chose to hoard points over a long period of time ) would be far less efficient than just slaying, or using an altar. Those who camped for effigies, did so for a more efficient way of training skills,However this I did not support, as they miss the whole point of the skill itself. The effgies could be used for anything, to which most people would camp just to train skills they dislike.

And feeling proud about maxing the skills you dislike is a good thing, It shows that you were willing to fight through it, regardless of the fact that you disliked it. That takes discipline,

It's not a matter of efficiency. No matter how efficiently you obtained the effigies or afked Soul Wars, it all boils down to dumping massive amounts of experience in a very short time frame.

It appears that Jagex's response for the cap is to stop people from gaining large amounts of xp in one day, which is pretty stupid since there is no way of knowing this unless you stalk someone or use a fansite's tracker. Why should Jagex care if I dumped my effigies for 20m xp in a day, or spread it out over a few months? The end result is the same, which is why so many people are ranting about this update: the cap is pointless.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

edit:

No

Yes

Yes you could stockpile zeal, but they were smart enough to limit the skills you could cash them in for to a select few, geared especially towards combat, and on top of that, they also set a reduced exchange rate slayer and prayer so that training those skills with soul wars ( even if one chose to hoard points over a long period of time ) would be far less efficient than just slaying, or using an altar. Those who camped for effigies, did so for a more efficient way of training skills,However this I did not support, as they miss the whole point of the skill itself. The effgies could be used for anything, to which most people would camp just to train skills they dislike.

It's not a matter of efficiency. No matter how efficiently you obtained the effigies or afked Soul Wars, it all boils down to dumping massive amounts of experience in a very short time frame.

It appears that Jagex's response for the cap is to stop people from gaining large amounts of xp in one day, which is pretty stupid since there is no way of knowing this unless you stalk someone or use a fansite's tracker. Why should Jagex care if I dumped my effigies for 20m xp in a day, or spread it out over a few months? The end result is the same, which is why so many people are ranting about this update: the cap is pointless.

Ahh, touche. I myself don't understand how mass exp in a short time is a problem to jagex, I only don't support the actual training of a skill with nothing but effigies, but I suppose my two statements contradict one another...which now leaves me puzzled.

A few reasons why we can't do that.

1. I planning on using exp from the effigies I can complete to train the skills that can't (yet) be used to complete effigies.

2. I have level 70 RC/Summon. I just got a 91 RC/Summ effigy. See the problem?

3. A little things called baby steps. One small piece at a time. Rather then grind 20 levels and do nothing at all interesting in RS (at least, anything I can gain effigies doing, which cuts out "boss" fights, slayer...) I'd rather, idk, train slayer, kill glacors, maybe collect more effigies... In between the time that I'd spend leveling my skills. Now, in between leveling my skills I go to Glacors or TDs... oh [bleep], I can't get any more effigy drops.

Unless someone is very close to the skill they need for the effigy, telling them to level it is unreasonable.

I don't see the problem. First of all, effigies were designed so that lower levels had incentive to train to higher levels. Now, lower levels can't use te effigies to get to these levels, making them how jagex wanted them all along. IMO effigies were horrible, but what's been done is not I any way a 'nerf' of them. You still get full xp, and the time spent for those camping them is minuscule. They couldn't remove them now, so what they have done is not a step closer. This is the kind of thing we want from jagex; Caring about the game, and its veterans, not new people who lack the patience.

First off, that bolded part is completely and utterly wrong.

Back in the day, there wasn't a maxed cape. Back in the day, there were 3 people with maxed stats. Also, if you've read this thread, you should come to the conclusion that this NOT the kind of thing the community overall wants (or that tipit'ers really like effigies.)

Also, hoarding effigies in the bank until you have the level to open them is, ya know, a good incentive TO train to said higher levels.

Also, whether or not effigies should have been implemented in the first place is irrelevant; the point is, they've been around for what, 2 years, and now players who built their gameplay around them get [bleep]ed. I've said this many times already, the solution to effigy farming to train skills should be making the actual skill training better then effigies. There are only two skills where that's a problem, which suggests the problem isn't so much with effigies as it is with those skills.

More solutions to effigies includes making them a Boss Monster/Slayer Task Only drop or limit the amount of effigies you can open in a day.

Also, here's a question I'd like virtually every veteran of an MMORPG to answer: why is making the game easier for new players a bad thing? (Beside the fact that it pisses off veterans in the first place.)

Another thought, how many people do you think are happy about this update? How happy do you think they are? How many people do you think are mad about this update? How mad do you think they are? I'd bet a lot of money that, overall, there are a lot more people angry about this update then are happy about it, and those that are angry about it are angrier then how happy those that are happy about it are. If that made any sense.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Well, I pretty much hated this portion of the update. Not because of the effigy nerf, but because I stock piled lots of effigies that I couldn't open. So basically this updated forced me to get assissts, or grind a noncb skill to the lower 90s. Today I wasted over 400k farm and smith xp and like 200k fletching xp. Luckily they're fast buyables but, I'd rather be able to do them on my own pace. Its whatever though...

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Well, I pretty much hated this portion of the update. Not because of the effigy nerf, but because I stock piled lots of effigies that I couldn't open. So basically this updated forced me to get assissts, or grind a noncb skill to the lower 90s. Today I wasted over 400k farm and smith xp and like 200k fletching xp. Luckily they're fast buyables but, I'd rather be able to do them on my own pace. Its whatever though...

This is the same situation I face. I can either give up around 3 million experience, give up around 900k experience, or not train my second favourite skill in the game for 3-12 months and instead spend that time on skills I don't enjoy. None of those options are good and I wouldn't have to pick between them if Jagex removed the limitation on the number of effigies we could store. As others have suggested, if they're worried about records (why? The don't have any means to view them on their website, but fansites being better than Jagex is a different issue entirely). Then they could put a limit on the number of effigies opened per day, most people aren't going to consistently get 5 effigies a day.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

Surely, the way to make Runecrafting less of an "abysmal" grind is to incentivise it with irregular 'random' rewards, similar to slayer drops, or increase the XP rate in relation to skill level. As well as thinking effigies were overpowered and shouldn't be used to essentially replace training a skill, I've also believed Runecrafting experience gained should be more linked to the runes created rather than the essence used. That way the XP rates grow exponentially as you grow in level, rather than staying at the same amount of XP.