Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

This "free trial"

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

Medaragon
[ Display Name History ]

Medaragon

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Medaragon
  • RSN2:Nogaradem
  • Clan:The Total F2p Skillers
With this update, Jagex is declaring war with every F2p'er.
This update is even worst than the hiscores removal imo, now, every new account has to go through a new tutorial which gives p2p skills exps, which means there will be no more option to have a pure f2p account.
With this update, Jagex removes the complete future of F2p, it will take a few years before the lasts f2p'ers quit because of the many anti-f2p updates Jagex will continue to do, and then Runescape, the "Best MMO Free To Play multiplayer game" will be totally p2p.

This is all about my pure F2p rant.

-Med-
Posted Image

The_Avatar
[ Display Name History ]

The_Avatar

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,326 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:The Avatar
  • RSN2:Monkeybeast0

This update is even worst than the hiscores removal imo, now, every new account has to go through a new tutorial which gives p2p skills exps, which means there will be no more option to have a pure f2p account.
With this update, Jagex removes the complete future of F2p, it will take a few years before the lasts f2p'ers quit because of the many anti-f2p updates Jagex will continue to do, and then Runescape, the "Best MMO Free To Play multiplayer game" will be totally p2p.

-Med-

The p2p tutorial is completely optional.
Previously known as Monkeybeast0.
Posted Image

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,092 posts

-Med-

Anyone with a trace of insight into the mind of a new player would realize that a tutorial involving fighting trolls and whatnot would not be passed up. And those players, even if they did not opt to go P2P, would think "5 Thieving? Doesn't matter" and continue playing.
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

The_Avatar
[ Display Name History ]

The_Avatar

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,326 posts
  • RSN:The Avatar
  • RSN2:Monkeybeast0

-Med-

Anyone with a trace of insight into the mind of a new player would realize that a tutorial involving fighting trolls and whatnot would not be passed up. And those players, even if they did not opt to go P2P, would think "5 Thieving? Doesn't matter" and continue playing.

You underestimate the average person's need to completely ignore tutorials. Why do you think you run into so many new players who ask obvious questions that are already covered in the tutorial?
Previously known as Monkeybeast0.
Posted Image

[ Display Name History ]

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,102 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:999134thpure
  • RSN2:1 Pray Hero
  • Clan:hyt

Too bad this member free trial totally messes up the graphs that have been tracking membership.

Where are those graphs located at?

*Ahem*
http://open.tip.it/high-score-stats

little off topic but what is with the 2 major membership drops
Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!
Posted Image
old sig

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
Lapsing of subscription and thus highscore removal, most likely.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Powerfrog
[ Display Name History ]

Powerfrog

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,621 posts
  • RSN:Mr frogger
  • RSN '07:Mr frogger
It seems like everyone has forgotten, there was a free trial last summer, too.

It's a pretty effective incentive to get undecided F2Pers to pay up.

I've been thinking about making a low leveled P2P pure. I might use this to do so and see how it goes :P

CNqWHdA.jpg

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
Well yeah it's understood that some players want to hoof it on their own much like those people who throw out instructions to something to build it themselves because it adds to the experience. Those players desire to discover their own methods of mastering aspects of the game and learning the lore by themselves. There are also players out there who are subconsciously hesitant to devote themselves to the game and that's when the storyline driven tutorial shines best by showing them this game has depth and an intense amount of content when their doubts are screaming "boooring."

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It
"pure f2p" players don't make Jagex any money. Thumbs up for this update to incentivise new players to come on board to p2p worlds.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,092 posts
The free trial did little to coax players into becoming P2P, especially because you had to pay for it and hope for a refund if you wanted your money back. This is a more genuine type of free trial. You also shouldn't forget the advertisement revenue, which exceeds $2 million a year. With the substantial amount I play, my share of that was (before the price update) roughly five months of membership per calendar year.
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

The free trial did little to coax players into becoming P2P, especially because you had to pay for it and hope for a refund if you wanted your money back. This is a more genuine type of free trial. You also shouldn't forget the advertisement revenue, which exceeds $2 million a year. With the substantial amount I play, my share of that was (before the price update) roughly five months of membership per calendar year.

But you have to include server and development costs here. The last info we got from Jagex(though admittedly this was years ago) was that F2P barely covers their server costs for it so makes little to no profit.

As for this destroying "pure F2P" - first of all, as said the tutorial is completely optional. Besides, pure F2Pers give Jagex next to no money, so it's no big surprise that they don't really care about that. In economic terms F2P still has its use for Jagex, because it keeps players who have decided to let their membership lapse a connection to the game which makes resubscribing more likely. But you shouldn't really expect them to cater a lot to F2P.

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
But you can't disagree with the fact that their current view on f2p is the complete opposite of the one the Gower brothers had and which made this game so grand. It's once again an investor's move to milk as much money out of this game, without looking at the future AND by forgetting the heritage this game had for about 9 years. For the old core of the Jagex developers, f2p and p2p are worth the same (despite the lack of updates for f2p, but that's because they don't pay, and the true f2per has no problem with that).

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

But you can't disagree with the fact that their current view on f2p is the complete opposite of the one the Gower brothers had and which made this game so grand. It's once again an investor's move to milk as much money out of this game, without looking at the future AND by forgetting the heritage this game had for about 9 years. For the old core of the Jagex developers, f2p and p2p are worth the same (despite the lack of updates for f2p, but that's because they don't pay, and the true f2per has no problem with that).

I don't think you can say it's without looking at the future. I actually believe this model works better than the current one. The point about heritage is true, but I think Jagex has simply outgrown the times when it was just about the game and the players (Like *every* game company does, it's a natural progress)

Lacoste
[ Display Name History ]

Lacoste

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,872 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Wait, why is this a terrible thing?

Powerfrog
[ Display Name History ]

Powerfrog

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,621 posts
  • RSN:Mr frogger
  • RSN '07:Mr frogger
This model definitely works by the way. I've been on the edge on making a new p2p pure but this trial has helped me decide to do it, and I'll surely remain member on the pure until I'm bored of the account entirely (Although i guess Jagex is technically losing money. As theres no way I'm paying for my main's membership during the start up period of the pure.)

CNqWHdA.jpg

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Wait, why is this a terrible thing?

It is in (some?) F2Pers eyes, because it means that Pure F2Pers will be a dying breed and it shows a bit that F2P isn't really valued. No big surprises there though.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,092 posts
I didn't realize Water had gone/was going P2P. That's another one gone.
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

Lacoste
[ Display Name History ]

Lacoste

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,872 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Still don't understand the problem, it is optional isn't it?

What is the real problem people are arguing about? The new treatment of ftp compared to past years?

I feel like pure ftpers don't go to p2p because in the ftp world they are considered "good" and once they become members they'll realize there really not that different from the next guy.

But hey that's just me. I'd love to discuss this further.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,092 posts
I know what the P2P world is like and I wouldn't join it for the world.
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

-Med-

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Eventually you need to come to the understanding that Jagex is a company. Pure free to players are only here to bolster the number of registered users that keeps Jagex on the Guinness Book of World Records every year and keeps the free servers populated, and to contribute to the economy. Otherwise, they don't want to see you, they don't want to hear from you. Every time Jagex does anything to promote members, the free to play community reacts like a group of entitled children, and then turn around and wonder why this game's community is regarded as so immature.

The Jagex of today is not the same as the Jagex of old, and its not because Andrew Gower was some wise sage. The Jagex of old had terrible business insight, straying from the norm not because of a desire to be different but a lack of insight and limitations of the engine. If I had to choose between the current Jagex and the Jagex that preached community love with one hand while banning anyone who mentions a fan site with the other, or the Jagex that thought what free players really wanted was a gnome copter ride to see fake members areas over the one that offers a real taste, the Jagex that does jack shit about bots until the game literally reaches its breaking point, and the Jagex that never talked to its community, I will take the new Jagex. If Jagex needs investors beating them over the head to make progress and get in line with the rest of the MMO genre, so be it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users