This "free trial"

Arceus

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the free trial is eventually being offered, but it's not instantly turned on or even required? Pure F2P is still possible! :thumbsup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Currently training 30 fishing because i seem to remember a 'YOU GOT 30 IN A SKILL BUY MEMBERS NOW YOU IDIOT' thingy showing up a while ago, perhaps the trial is initiated at this point too.

(I'm really grasping at straws now XD)

i thought it was at level 10

Ranqecaravan.png

I have heard that if you train a member's skill to 10, then it becomes capped. But maybe for the free-to-play skills there is a different mechanism.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Currently training 30 fishing because i seem to remember a 'YOU GOT 30 IN A SKILL BUY MEMBERS NOW YOU IDIOT' thingy showing up a while ago, perhaps the trial is initiated at this point too.

(I'm really grasping at straws now XD)

i thought it was at level 10

Seems like it's gone now. It does pop up when you try to do a member activity (like the GE shortcut) but it didn't trigger the trial :(

CNqWHdA.jpg

I think giving F2Pers a taste of what P2P has to offer might persuade them to become a member. They may not realize how much more stuff there is in P2P and did not want to risk wasting the money to find out. At the very least they will be able to train some of their skills a little bit faster. But all in all, I think it's a good decision, espcially with some other MMORPGs offering similar trials.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

I think giving F2Pers a taste of what P2P has to offer might persuade them to become a member. They may not realize how much more stuff there is in P2P and did not want to risk wasting the money to find out. At the very least they will be able to train some of their skills a little bit faster. But all in all, I think it's a good decision, espcially with some other MMORPGs offering similar trials.

Its an interesting notion, but at this point in RuneScapes lifespan I am skeptical of there ever being any significant inflow of new members, or even new players.

For every one who is coming in through the turnstiles, there is a pissed off veteran going out in the opposite direction.

Jagex had a great niche game unlike any other MMO and frittered it away trying to be like all the other MMOs.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

That's the problem with some people I know. They told me they tried the F2P version and got bored really fast.

Showed them some of the member's things and they were more impressed.

I've seen more F2P players walk away because they were bored than old members. I personally feel like Jagex is doing a great job with the game, and I've been playing for a very long time.

The big issue with F2P is that it doesn't have nearly as many exciting minigames and quests, and all the skill content is grind.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I made a new account today to get the 2 weeks free trial so I could try out the new Troll Warzone. I did not get the trial. Is this only for people who have never been P2P on an account (I assume Jagex can check that via the cache?) or is it limited to a certain geographical location (I live in Canada)?

I don't think anyone sane would argue that Jagex are updating F2P enough to be 'best F2P game' but frankly, as a company trying to make money from adverts with a userbase that all use ad-block, they shouldn't be. Memberships bring in the money. Any major F2P update will piss off the people that pay for membership because they think their money isn't worth spending as it would belittle any P2P benefits.

The main thing Jagex need to do is obviously draw in new players, profitable or not, as they're in desperate need of more players and can THEN focus on milking these players for cash. The 'Runescape sucks and hasn't changed at all since 2005' thinking doesn't help bring in new users. Runescape is also one of the few games that children will LIE about playing. You know you're addicted to a game when you can't talk about it in public, yet still play it daily.

I wasn't around at the time, but I'm surprised more people aren't still complaining about the memberships fee increase. 5-10% increase maximum every year is to be expected, but to keep the same fee for years and suddenly increase it by 50% is a stupid business move. Anyone that doesn't even play the game can clearly see that the core financial side to it is pure stupidity, regardless of the memberships actual worth.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I made a new account today to get the 2 weeks free trial so I could try out the new Troll Warzone. I did not get the trial. Is this only for people who have never been P2P on an account (I assume Jagex can check that via the cache?) or is it limited to a certain geographical location (I live in Canada)?

It works in canada and I did play on a p2p account before, but not since august, so it probably checks if you've been on a member's account recently (since there'd be no point in giving you a trial of something you already have)

I'd try deleting cookies and cache and all that and also the files runescape stores on your computer and try again. maybe it goes by ip though, like if your ip has logged onto a members account in the last __ days it won't give you the trial, idk

I don't think anyone sane would argue that Jagex are updating F2P enough to be 'best F2P game' but frankly, as a company trying to make money from adverts with a userbase that all use ad-block, they shouldn't be. Memberships bring in the money. Any major F2P update will piss off the people that pay for membership because they think their money isn't worth spending as it would belittle any P2P benefits.

The main thing Jagex need to do is obviously draw in new players, profitable or not, as they're in desperate need of more players and can THEN focus on milking these players for cash. The 'Runescape sucks and hasn't changed at all since 2005' thinking doesn't help bring in new users. Runescape is also one of the few games that children will LIE about playing. You know you're addicted to a game when you can't talk about it in public, yet still play it daily.

I wasn't around at the time, but I'm surprised more people aren't still complaining about the memberships fee increase. 5-10% increase maximum every year is to be expected, but to keep the same fee for years and suddenly increase it by 50% is a stupid business move. Anyone that doesn't even play the game can clearly see that the core financial side to it is pure stupidity, regardless of the memberships actual worth.

Good business sense or otherwise, Jagex has usually opted for the delay-delay-panic button route. I don't think I need to supplement this with obvious examples.

It works in canada and I did play on a p2p account before, but not since august, so it probably checks if you've been on a member's account recently (since there'd be no point in giving you a trial of something you already have)

I'd try deleting cookies and cache and all that and also the files runescape stores on your computer and try again. maybe it goes by ip though, like if your ip has logged onto a members account in the last __ days it won't give you the trial, idk

As I recall someone else on this thread tried registering through a different IP via some kind of a proxy and this failed to bring about a free trial.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Good business sense or otherwise, Jagex has usually opted for the delay-delay-panic button route. I don't think I need to supplement this with obvious examples.

As I recall someone else on this thread tried registering through a different IP via some kind of a proxy and this failed to bring about a free trial.

Yeah that was me (And another guy i think). Actually tried 3 different IPs, the 2nd two with wiped out cookies & cache on different browsers. Still no trials offered. Two were UK IPs and one was American. Next time someone is offered the trial it would be really helpful if you'd take a screenshot of it (blanking out any personal details of course) so we can see what we're working with, or see that it actually exists.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Its an interesting notion, but at this point in RuneScapes lifespan I am skeptical of there ever being any significant inflow of new members, or even new players.

For every one who is coming in through the turnstiles, there is a pissed off veteran going out in the opposite direction.

Jagex had a great niche game unlike any other MMO and frittered it away trying to be like all the other MMOs.

I've heard this said since 2004, yet every quarter Jagex posts growing sales and profits. At some point the armchair businessmen are going to have to concede that they have no idea what they're talking about.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I was trying to figure out why broad arrow heads are falling in price (see http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?gec&itemid=13278), as they were selling for 52gp each earlier in the GE which is a loss if you were to buy 3k from a slayer master. It used to be almost 100k profit a day buying these from slayer masters then selling, but at the moment it's not.

Why am I posting here? In my attempt to explain the drop in price I figured free trial membership might allow for the trial members to buy these items and resell them. The biggest drop started on the 20th, a day after this trial membership deal was released. Coincidence?

If that's the case, someone could abuse the system and cause a massive oversupply of them.

Anyone have any ideas if that could be the case? I don't really want to try and make a new account with the trial to test it (I'm not sure if I can, I've got membership already on other accounts).

Unless it is an item which has such a low volume that a few trial accounts could cause a massive oversupply (and there are such items, but I don't know the nature of these), it probably wouldn't have a substantial effect. After all, there are runes in Aubury's (formerly overpriced) rune shop that sell for comparably cheap prices now.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Battle staves are the same too. You make like less than 50k for the 80 a day you get when you could get 200k+. Honestly I think it's the people catching on and using the dailies to make cash.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

This trial membership offer has ended according to Mod Hippo. Quick find code: 250-251-169-63587089. I'm very glad this was only a limited time offer - if this had have been a permanent change for all new accounts, Jagex would have destroyed the future of Pure F2P Clans.

Possum39.png