Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 26th February 2012

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Care to give the good people some idea of what jobs they will be doing?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The_Fray
[ Display Name History ]

The_Fray

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Rook

Care to give the good people some idea of what jobs they will be doing?

There are quite a number of activities a low level player can do to get money. Herb Farming is a big one, has low requirements and you can do as many runs as you can depending on how much you play. Dailies such as MTK, buying broad arrowheads/ bolts from any summoning master, Arhein etc. I believe someone had a nice guide to get to all places. Tanning hides, depending on prices you can make a fair amount of money. The gnome delivery minigame I have heard is profitable but I have never actually been there. Great Orb Project is a steady 400k per hour in f2p with the only requirement being 50 Runecrafting. You can also use spare cash to buy battlestaffs from Naff as well battlestaffs from GE, people will pay a decent price for them on the forums(You can probably classify this under merchanting but there is no risk, you can almost treat this like a daily).

Again you just have to find a moneymaker you enjoy even if it may be less profitable than dragons or whatever else has been mentioned in this thread. I have 95 Prayer and 98 Herblore and I did it without MHing any of the funds required to get them.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

they're asking for ... training methods that aren't garbage. ... Look at herblore ...

Herblore can be trained cheaply without sacrificing too much speed if you're hyper-vigilant on herb prices. If not, then the trade off is spending a bit more cash for a more laid back experience.

It doesn't help that mid-level players have to compete with either high levels or bots for most of the good moneymaking methods ...

Some of the greatest areas with finite resources don't have very high requirements. Listing low to high:

Iron (lvl 15) - low to medium depending on area; Granite (lvl 45) - medium competition; lava flow mine (lvl 68) - lowest exp but more people helps you find 50% blockage faster

teaks (lvl 35) - middle of the road; arctic pines (lvl 54) - best active-clicking exp; Ivy (lvl 68) - best afk'ing exp, crowded but does not impact exp rates too much

fly fishing @ shilo (lvl 30) - crowded, not a big issue; barbarian fishing (lvl 70) - crowded but not very impacting on exp rates

Etc.

And some of the most repeated or worthwhile content comes from mid-level quests:
<activity> - <requirements> :: <reward>

Tears of Guthix - 49 fm/20 mining/20 crafting :: tears of guthix minigame
Throne of Miscellania - 35 herb/10 farm/45 wc/40 fish/30 mining :: MTK daily
Royal Trouble - 40 agil/40 slayer :: MTK daily
Cold War - 10 hunt/34 con/30 craft/30 agil/15 thieving :: Almost doubles peng D&D exp, access a great mid-level hunting course with very little competition compared to sallies with comparable exp rates
Defender of Varrock - 51 agil/51 hunter/54 smithing/59 mining :: unlocks Armored Zombies, don't even need to complete the quest
Desert Treasure - 10 slay/50 fm/50 magic/53 thieving :: ancient magicks
Fairytale Series - 36 craft/36 wc/10 pray/51 theiving/54 farming/57 herb/59 magic/37 summ :: magic secatures/watering can, no-weedin patches, better loot from, fairy ring network
Family Crest - 40 mining/40 smith/59 magic/40 craft - gaunts which can help you obtain cheaper smithing exp or cheaper magic exp (via higher damage, used for lower level magic training)
Fremmy Isles and Fremmy Trials - 46 craft/25 fletch/40 wc/20 con/40 agil/56 wc :: unlocks one of the best strength & pray combo boosting helms in the game for the average player (55 def to wear) Loading Item Information...

Honestly at this point of going through quests A-F I got bored. Hopefully the point should be clear.

But let's go to the task system:

Ardy Medium (15 fish/51 mage/10 con/39 agil/40 thieving/38 str/21 range/46 mine/49 farming/50 fm/57 herb/49 craft)
  • ardy farming patch tele
  • free exp (one time) and ess (daily)
  • Loading Item Information...
Lumbridge All (they're so low and I'm so bored at this point I don't even feel like it)
  • easiest access to farming tele south of fally and port sarim
  • run recharge (amount dependent on level completed)
  • most useful prayer/magic boosting ring for f2p
Seers Medium (reqs)
  • coal trucks
  • free flax
  • easy light source

Varrock battlestaves, etc...

(Say what you want about the requirements of Deadliest Catch, that horrible excuse for a quest is/was the worst offender.

Short quest, not very satisfying, but very delicious exp rewards and the hunting minigame isn't that bad for exp.

I'd just like to know when they'll realize that the part of the game that leads up to being high level needs to be tweaked as well.

I think you've got it a bit wrong, unless you want Jagex to constantly be playing catch-up. It sort of needs to happen simultaneously, development for both average and high-level users. But that's extremely hard to do. In the past few years though they've been doing a decent job of balancing it though, and they don't really get credit for it.

I just can't agree that RuneScape has neglected mid-level players. Most of the game's foundation circled around producing mid-level content. In addition to that, the past couple of skills released included content from the bottom to the top (slayer, hunter, construction, farming, summoning, dungeoneering, ) and most of these recently released skills are beloved and highly utilized skills of the Runescape community. I realize there's a difference of opinions as to whether this content was successful and that's to be understood, but to say that they're neglecting them is presumptuous.

hzvjpwS.gif

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
@the Fray

I was talking about epicbot...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

@the Fray

I was talking about epicbot...

Copied from their forums.

hzvjpwS.gif

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,846 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

The Neglected mid-level players article seems to forget the sheer amount of mid-level things to do compared to the low amount of high-level things to do.

You're also forgetting the amount of shit we have to deal with as a mid level player. We gain access to something to FINALLY make money to get higher level?
Short Answer: No.
Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We get jumped by 130+ instead and get screwed over. you Have NO idea, how frustrating it is being stuck in the Mid tier. I cant afford decent gear, I cant afford decent levels, and I cant MAKE the money to do so, all to get shat over by higher leveled players who rob us of the ability to do so, despite them being wealthy and high leveled enough to do SOMETHING ELSE.

and as strilmus said, thats the EXACT thing, that [bleep]s us over. Sorry if im coming off abusive but this is the VERY thing that had made Runescape shit for me. If I even TRY to do something like Bandos GWD, I WILL get shat on by level 138's who could do something far better , but instead find it enjoyable to toy with us and [bleep] us over for their benefit, on that note, some of us might find Killing bosses to be both rewarding and FUN, grinding my fingers away on Iron is not. If I wanted to do that, I'd use a freaking bot.

There's patience, and there's getting shat on.

/rant.

Bring on the Rage/attacks/shenanigans etc. I've said what I wanted.

Popoto.~<3

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

The Neglected mid-level players article seems to forget the sheer amount of mid-level things to do compared to the low amount of high-level things to do.

You're also forgetting the amount of shit we have to deal with as a mid level player. We gain access to something to FINALLY make money to get higher level?

We get jumped by 130+ instead and get screwed over. you Have NO idea, how frustrating it is being stuck in the Mid tier. I cant afford decent gear, I cant afford decent levels, and I cant MAKE the money to do so, all to get shat over by higher leveled players who rob us of the ability to do so, despite them being wealthy and high leveled enough to do SOMETHING ELSE.

and as strilmus said, thats the EXACT thing, that [bleep]s us over. Sorry if im coming off abusive but this is the VERY thing that had made Runescape shit for me. If I even TRY to do something like Bandos GWD, I WILL get shat on by level 138's who could do something far better , but instead find it enjoyable to toy with us and [bleep] us over for their benefit, on that note, some of us might find Killing bosses to be both rewarding and FUN, grinding my fingers away on Iron is not. If I wanted to do that, I'd use a freaking bot.

There's patience, and there's getting shat on.

/rant.

Bring on the Rage/attacks/shenanigans etc. I've said what I wanted.

Hop worlds.
You know, what those high levelled players did when they were mid levelled.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,084 posts
Hopping worlds works fine...until the problem recurs ten minutes later.
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

We gain access to something to FINALLY make money to get higher level?

Flipping is available to all levels, and is a strong source of income for many of today's players. Dailies can net you almost 750k-2mil a day. Graahking nature runes can make you decent cash at the cost of 42 RCing and 57 summoning. Monster hunting, like killing Fiyr Shades for Loading Item Information..., nets handy profit. Even converting sacred oils is a decent moneymaker. All mid-level and easily accessed content. And I didn't even scratch the surface.

I've seen you vilify higher level players repeatedly as some gigantic wall of China blocking your ability to make money and train skills when it's simply not true. Have you considered other moneymaking methods besides things like Bandos or Tormented Demons? It seems like that's the only thing that ever comes to mind for people anymore. It's saddening.

Hopping worlds works fine...until the problem recurs ten minutes later.

There are plenty of ways to make cash that don't involve direct competition. Even then, there are other money makers with low to moderate competition.

hzvjpwS.gif

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
It seems that we have differing views of what the terminology refers to.

Could someone please objectively define terminology like 'mid-level', 'end-game', 'moderate competition', 'high competitiveness', etc. in non arbitrary/vague terms?

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,084 posts

...which one might loosely define as characters with combat levels around 50-70 and average skill levels about 25-40.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

DaveZZilla
[ Display Name History ]

DaveZZilla

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts

Could someone please objectively define terminology like 'mid-level', 'end-game', 'moderate competition', 'high competitiveness', etc. in non arbitrary/vague terms?

Sure, that's a good place for me to start. Generally, what I think of as mid-level content is in the 40-80 range, and 80+ is what I consider high level. I'm not suggesting that these should be the standard definitions, but at the very least you'll know what I'm thinking when I use the terms. Now let's get down to business.

In my opinion Jagex has been pretty so-so in the past about making any update worthwhile, and only in the last year or two have they begun to get their act together with high level content that is truly rewarding.

Tradeable potions at any level don't benefit players who gain the ability to mix them, as they can be bought and used for less money without bothering to get the required herblore level. The only reason you would train the skill was for bragging rights and maybe the odd quest requirement. Then extremes came out, and all of a sudden training herblore to those high levels was worth doing. Prayer and summoning are inherently rewarding for the same reason the new potions were a hit: you have to gain the required level to get the benefits of the skill. Smithing is an example to the contrary. Sure, you get to make new armor, but in reality rune armor is a reward for training defence, not smithing. All you're getting is another way to spend money.

Resource gathering is going to be trickier to balance out, because mid level resources benefit high level players far more than mid level players. But there are instances where it is done well because of artificial limits. Red sandstone is a good example of this. The mining and crafting exp you get there is not bad at all, nor is the finished product. If you could camp there all day, what would potion flasks be worth? Likewise, dailies like mtk are worthwhile because you can only do them once a day.

The same principles that made these high level updates successful can be applied to mid level content too. Mid level resources that are limited like red sandstone would prevent high levels from monopolizing them and so everyone could benefit. Mid level Untradeable items could be really great if they were done well. For instance, they could come out with a new slayer monster where the required weapon/item to defeat it was untradeable and had to be made with the smithing/fletching/crafting skill. If it had a nice drop (especially an untradeable drop) or the exp was pretty good at those levels, it would be worth the extra effort to gain levels in those other skills.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

-list-

...Point taken :razz:

Short quest, not very satisfying, but very delicious exp rewards and the hunting minigame isn't that bad for exp.

True, but the thieving requirement in particular felt shoehorned in. Same kind of thing with ROTM (Though there is a slight quality difference); You need 76 mining... To mine one rock slide, and they even give you the pickaxe. And I still haven't figured out what the crafting requirement was for. Would the quest have been any different if you didn't need to mine that rock? It probably just wouldn't have taken as long, since you need to mine the rock every time you go back and forth through that area of Kethsi.

I think you've got it a bit wrong, unless you want Jagex to constantly be playing catch-up. It sort of needs to happen simultaneously, development for both average and high-level users. But that's extremely hard to do. In the past few years though they've been doing a decent job of balancing it though, and they don't really get credit for it.

I just can't agree that RuneScape has neglected mid-level players. Most of the game's foundation circled around producing mid-level content. In addition to that, the past couple of skills released included content from the bottom to the top (slayer, hunter, construction, farming, summoning, dungeoneering, ) and most of these recently released skills are beloved and highly utilized skills of the Runescape community. I realize there's a difference of opinions as to whether this content was successful and that's to be understood, but to say that they're neglecting them is presumptuous.

It seems like the problem is that, if they're neglecting mid-level players, it's with new content. Slayer, for example, hasn't really changed for low/mid (up to ~60) levels, but the skill has had numerous updates for levels 80+ recently. Dungeoneering, though, is a step in the right direction. If you're 70-80+, you can expect new content every few months. If you're 40-70, you're using the same gear that people have been using for the past 5 years, to do the same thing, but with more pressure to grind for longer because of the previously mentioned high level stuff.

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired

...which one might loosely define as characters with combat levels around 50-70 and average skill levels about 25-40.

I'd say that's upper-tier low-level. Mid-level is closer to having average levels of approx 60-70, with combat levels of approx 90-110. Low level content aren't designed to be good, or efficient.

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy
Mid level players have access to the bulk of the quests, all the minigames and a variety of money making methods. Green Dragons are still 500k/hr + even around level 70. Obviously the rewards for mid level activities are going to be less than those for 'high level' ones, as high level players have spent orders of magnitude longer working to reach those stats.

Asmodean <3

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

If you're 40-70, you're using the same gear that people have been using for the past 5 years, to do the same thing, but with more pressure to grind for longer because of the previously mentioned high level stuff.

I also can't really agree with that.

Loading Item Set Information...
Grifolic armor, level 55 def and magic to wear, better than mystic (which is pretty mid-tier) with defence stats. Released November 2011

Akrisae armor, level 70 def to wear, great combination of pray and magic boost for longer trips. Released September 2011.

Brackish Blade, 60 attack to wield and completion of A Clockwork Syringe. Cheap stab weapon below Zam spear. Released March 2011.

And this is with a very casual glance, I'm sure anyone who looks more detailed would find greater examples, too.

hzvjpwS.gif

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

I also can't really agree with that.
Grifolic armor, level 55 def and magic to wear, better than mystic (which is pretty mid-tier) with defence stats. Released November 2011

Akrisae armor, level 70 def to wear, great combination of pray and magic boost for longer trips. Released September 2011.

Brackish Blade, 60 attack to wield and completion of A Clockwork Syringe. Cheap stab weapon below Zam spear. Released March 2011.

And this is with a very casual glance, I'm sure anyone who looks more detailed would find greater examples, too.

Grifolic/Brackish - True, forgot about those. Not sure if Akrisae would count though, you need ROTM finished to wear the set. Also inb4 dragon defender :razz:

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts

Not sure if Akrisae would count though, you need ROTM finished to wear the set.

Oh god major derp on my part, you're absolutely right. Really embarassed.

I guess I'm trying to get at is two things: first, armor releases are pretty consistent, even if it's just one piece, every 3-4 months or so for all ranges; second, just because more armors and weapons are being released doesn't necessarily mean you'll see a change in the average player's play style. If we're talking about that sort of 'game changer' - off the top of my head being things like barrows, bandos, culi gloves, neit helms, drag defenders, chaotics - they don't come very often at all. We can go anywhere from 3 months to a year without seeing significant updates that change the average player's style. Like, off the top of my head, we had the release of the defenders (at the time only up to rune) and it took half a year until we saw barbarian assault released with the fighter's torso offering one of the best strength-boosting tops at the time.

It's not really that they neglect to do so for any individual group, it's just that they do try to consider balance and feasibility. Not to mention, they usually come with significant content releases. Things like big quests, minigames, and so on. We've seen a pretty big trend in high level content though over the past year. I think it's creating the illusion that there are groups being excluded, since these updates are practically torn apart in a frenzy of either love or hate by the almost exclusive mature and high leveled players that frequent fansites...or are simply the loudest.

hzvjpwS.gif

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer
Mid level players have access to everything that was once high level, just as in every/most MMO. /thread.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Doctor Who
[ Display Name History ]

Doctor Who

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 18 posts
For the mid-level debate it really comes down to what you consider mid-level if you think of it as 80-110, which id consider mid-level then there is small room to debate the idea that your Stuck in a rut between lower content and higher content but even then your going to have a hard time justifying your argument. If your talking about mid-level being 50-79ish as i think the author was. There is a simple reason as to why you may think there is a lack of content(there isnt) its because if your playing more than a few minutes a day your not going to be in that level range very long because your gaining levels so fast.

As for the article having to do with bots. I think it was an interesting way to look at the situation. And a well written article. I think the main idea was to just show a few parrallels between the WWII and RS, though correct me if im mistaken.

Both well written articles. Kudos
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users