Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 26th February 2012

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Not just that... I was actually trying to make people think about how destructive bots have been for runescape compared to how destructive ww2 was for europe...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Doctor Who
[ Display Name History ]

Doctor Who

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
I see what you're getting at. Here is a topic. What was more destructive, bots or the removal of bots?

Personally, I believe it depends on when you started the game. Older players, I would guess, would say the influx of bots hurt the game more in terms of deflowering the game so to speak. While I would bet people who started playing while botting was prevalent might think that the removal of bots had a much bigger impact in terms of affecting them.

I dunno, maybe a stupid idea. Just some food for though
Posted Image

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,084 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
It may be that haters are going to hate.

First, the older players trained skills essentially for free thanks to botted resources, and then anyone with sufficient capital stood to profit substantially when the suppliers of those resources died out, by buying them up.
"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

I see what you're getting at. Here is a topic. What was more destructive, bots or the removal of bots?

If I were an author, I would write an article on this. It could be an interesting read if done right.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

If I were an author, I would write an article on this. It could be an interesting read if done right.

Not really, cuz the conclusion is a given already... Anything leading to the contrary will pretty much automatically brand the author as a bot-apologist who now whines that his Dragon Bones cost too much, while they now reflect much more accurately the actual price...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Not by necessity. It's not really about what the author concludes - rather, it's about how to get there. The objective is to bring to light what should have been obvious in retrospect, but was not at the time.

I believe bot-destruction is more destructive than the bots themselves, to a certain extent. It does depend on context though.

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

Not by necessity. It's not really about what the author concludes - rather, it's about how to get there. The objective is to bring to light what should have been obvious in retrospect, but was not at the time.

I believe bot-destruction is more destructive than the bots themselves, to a certain extent. It does depend on context though.

I explored that avenue when writing the article you see published today...

The only reasons why the endlösung of bots is not destructive to the game as a whole are:

-Lack of news headlines - as there's no major victories for Jagex to achieve against these bots anymore, means that any "news" about RuneScape is not going to be as interesting, which means less exposure, which means less new players...
-Cheap skilling - already discussed in this and other threads, for obvious reasons (re-creation of the middle class)...
-Lack of a common enemy for fair players to rail against - leading to a fractioning RS community

When you see the benefits we got in return (provided they find a solution to kill the newly arisen epicbot program), you quickly realise that it is a small price to pay:

+Stable and fairer game overall
+More resources can be devoted to content development
+Less lag (current fps issue is not related to this)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

+More resources can be devoted to content development

That's not true. They never stopped working on anti-bot measures and are preparing the next batches of small bot-breaking things as well as projects like Bot-Nuke and Optimus. Bot memberships are still being 'recycled' back into their bottom-lines and they're still there. No one ever spun their chair from one desk to another to say, "Well I'm done breaking bots, let's go make a quest." They're two different things entirely and until we have information to the contrary, that's a faulty assumption.

+Less lag (current fps issue is not related to this)

Also untrue, partially anyway.

Those misconceptions that you see there are the exact reason why an article like that might be interesting, but the author would have to be willing to actually research it instead of drawing upon his own knowledge, which already demonstrated by yourself might be flawed.

hzvjpwS.gif

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
It's not an assumption, several Jagex people said at RuneFest that getting rid of the bots would eventually free up some hands... It may not have happened yet, but it will eventually...

And by less lag I meant that your screen will look like its frozen for a bit when one yew tree is cut down and all bots move to the next... This being one of many examples, of course...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs
Well es epicbot has proven(and tbh was obvious from the start) they'll never be "rid" of bots. They have to keep developing to keep ahead of bots. I mean, look at it now. Not even half a year after the bot nuke, we can expect the anti-bot dev group has been working as had as before, yet bots are already prevalent again, making up maybe not the majority but already a sizable portion of players online again.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

several Jagex people said at RuneFest that getting rid of the bots would eventually free up some hands... It may not have happened yet, but it will eventually...

I'd be interested in reading the transcript from that supposed interview. And since it is impossible for them to ever finish these bot battles, I don't think your 'eventually' will ever come - not while we're playing at least.

And by less lag I meant that your screen will look like its frozen for a bit when one yew tree is cut down and all bots move to the next... This being one of many examples, of course...

...what? Do you have any of these other 'many examples' because I'm afraid I don't think your primary one fits the description you're hoping for.

I realize we're getting off topic but I'm having trouble believing your reasoning.

hzvjpwS.gif

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
Unfortunately, there was no such interview to be transcribed...

It was just me having a conversation with one of the many jagex people that were at RuneFest, the very possibility of having such opportunities amazed me :)

As for the lag bit, anyone with a slight understanding how compters etc work, knows that servers with 1200 people and/or bots on it is laggier than if it has 200...
So yeah, it didn't fit the description... It's a good thing that I still use pen and paper to write my articles before I type em out, otherwise I'd have been fired long ago :P

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer
Ya I still don't know why a server capped at 2k people lags when some other games have servers with 10x that on at a time with no lag.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users