The paint of a digital variety... (27th May finally returning!)

Sy_Accursed

Seeing my friends artwork has lured me into portraying a character from my dissertation in digital painting, first really big project I've done in the medium.

Pleased so far and feedback/advice welcomed.

Rough lines that evolve as I paint over them and partially finished hair (Done base tone, base streaking, shadow 1 streaking; still need to do 2 lots of highlight streaking and the 2nd lot of shadow streaking then feather out some edges)

1/3/12 - Don't think I'm gonna get much/anything more done today so I'll just drop this here for now, the finished front hair; well finished for now, no doubt I'll fiddle with it more later on and I need to add some back-hair behind the neck once I paint the skin in.

2/3/12 - Got the first pass of the skin done and added the lips to the facial layer cause it looked too wrong without them!

4/3/12 - Got the face done, coming together nicely now!

27/5/12 - Back baby! Got various small tweaks to to the skin/eyes/face done and begun filling out rough body.

[hide=Older Drafts]tumblr_m06b5kgGQ41qduq1ko5_r1_500.png

jacob4_by_sy_accursed-d4rhaih.png

jacob5_by_sy_accursed-d4rlu3m.png

jacob7_by_sy_accursed-d4rtbfs.png

jacob8_by_sy_accursed-d4ruaue.png[/hide]

jacob9_by_sy_accursed-d51eiiv.png

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

There's not really much to comment on at this stage. I do feel like the jaw is a little too square but considering it is a cartoon, I guess it's not too big of a deal. I do hope you will be completely removing the lines at the end? That's the interpretation I got from "rough lines that evolve as I paint over them." If not, at least clean them up.. a lot :P

I can comment more as it progresses.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Yeah the linework vanishes as I progress, hence lack of lines around the hair. It is just the rough linework that gives me a basic form near enough the correct shapes to paint over and hone it in the paint.

Just be glad I didn't include the original sketch lines, they are a whole new level of mess!

[hide=Sketchy]tumblr_m06b5kgGQ41qduq1ko1_250.png[/hide]

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sy, you've got a nice start there, especially with the nicely-stroked cartoon-variety hair. I look forward to seeing images of further progression, as well as the finished product. About the only thing at this stage which I might suggest is brightening it up just a hair (no pun intended) for those who have their monitors turned down. Beyond that, I think this emote states the rest of my opinion... :thumbsup:

Oh, that reminds me. That other sketch that you have looks like it could easily be finished with a little more sketching and line-cleaning. That is, unless you want to color that one in as well. :)

~D. V. "Lookin' Good! Maybe brighten it up just a little?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Fear the floating hair do!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Nice activation of layer hiding. This one approves! :thumbsup:

Now, to look forward to more of the image being completed. :shades:

~D. V. "Waiting for more..." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

The long, thick lines on the lightest shade on the hair are a bit too thick and too wobbly.

XJxbC.png

I think it'd look better if it was thinner like your other brush strokes.

For a first real big project, it's going really well. That fringe is long though O_o

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Do you just mean those 2 you highlighted or all of them? Cause there are 5 other ones on the same brush in the top layer of detailing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

First pass at the skin done, needs a few touch ups and some blending but pleased with the progress.

And more to comment on now!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Looks good. You might want to remove the black sketch lines from over the eyes, though. And I suppose you'll run a sharpening pass on everything when it's about finished? :)

~D. V. "Just this one's thoughts on the matter..." Devnull

(p.s.: This one's in a bit of pain IRL due to a non-related event as they're typing this, so it's likely a part of what this one wished to say has been missed.)

It's a dark flesh colour not black but yeah that's one of the messy bits to be touched up in the 2nd pass, though I also figure it will be mostly covered anyway when I fill in the eyebrows.

Oh and them light streaks in hair, staying put, mainly cause I'm an idiot and painted them in the wrong layer so they are actually painted onto the hair rather than the 'strands' layer where I put the thicker dark strands. Plus I kinda like them anyway.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

There be newness agains!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

There be newness agains!

Just saw it. Nice eyes. You might want to add definition to the eyebrows, but other than that, it looks good. :thumbsup:

~D. V. "Lookin' great!" Devnull

I don't know if you plan on going back to it, but the skin could use a fair bit of work. It looks pretty blotchy and uneven. You could use a lot more tones and shades in there and work on the blending. Crafting out the overall shape of the face through shading could be improved as well.

I'm also not sure if you're done with the eyes, but a lot more could be put into them. For example, the whites could use a bit of shading. Right now they look very flat. They need to look more rounded and 3D. The irises could also use more shading, detail, and colour. You could use something like this for reference:

see-eye-to-eye.jpg

The iris is darker at the top where it meets the eyelid, and around the edges. There's usually a lot of colour in the middle, which helps give it a sense of dimension. More interesting highlights would also help a lot. And don't forget eyelashes!!! I know how weird it sometimes feels to draw them on men, but eyes look so naked and strange without them.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

I have been trying to work on the skin but there seems to be a shortage of tones to be used really.

If I go much darker it is just too dark for a lot of the shadowy areas, but at the same time the lighter end has got the stage where its pretty much as light as can be without being just white.

As for in-between shades I have been trying to put more in but there doesn't seem to be enough range between the shades I am using to allow for visual difference in colours; it just total vanishes into the colour nearest to it.

I am trying to catch blotches as they appear, but its one of them cases where the web upload changes the tones slightly so I keep finding new blotches in it whenever I upload.

And thanks for the tips on the eyes, I knew I needed to go back to them but I was just pondering on what needed to be done to make them deeper; I have already got about 5 colours in the eyes, but blurred them together a bit as it looked far too liney; deffo gonna be working onto them so more eventually though.

Facial shape I try to do my best, but in all honest I am at an utter lose when it comes to the cheeks and mouth area; I've tried in various art works previously to give it more structured shading; but it just doesn't look right it just always ends up sort of not looking real, or being too emphasised or as above.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Well regarding the skin, there are a lot of things to consider. First, you actually could go a lot darker than you are. Especially around the eyes and the right (his left - our right) side of the face where the hair comes down. Just a few examples found in 2 seconds on dA:

[hide]9ca5e0c896cdd75af0e5d1f1ed9be14a-d4q4r1p.jpg

7d5413e010d6e894e778d77cfde05b64-d4rt6wq.jpg

e61c252f7534511d.jpg

impossible_lov3_ver_3_by_bluefley-dl9ejl.jpg[/hide]

Notice the wide range of tones and shades in the skin. The darkest parts are usually around the eyes and under the nose. Which brings me to my next point...

Ideally you should have started with a background. Because all objects take in colours from their environment. If you're standing in a dark, murky, swampy area, you'll likely see shades of dark greens/yellows/blues in the skin, hair, clothes, etc. Because colours are drawn from the environment. Just looking through the examples I showed before, you see pinks, reds, browns, blues, yellows, and greens. Not just the same tan-ish colour with different values. This is obviously most prominent in the last image because the woman is standing in kind of a gross area just in front of a tank of water (I think?). So that draws in a lot of green, blue, and yellow.

I would recommend using a reference to get the facial structure more defined. A few places to watch out for:

• The nose. You should be able to see the nostrils from that angle. Noses are a real pain to draw so I feel you there.. but using a reference should help a lot.
  • Above the mouth. I don't know what that little area is called, but I'm referring to that little indent between the upper lip and the nose lol.
  • The lips are a little too thin IMO. They could also be extended a bit on the right (his left - our right) side. If you decide to define them a little more, you can also add some better shading to the mouth area around the lips. For example, if you look closely at some of the images, you'll see there are usually bright highlights just above the top lip, shadows near the far corners of the mouth, and then highlights just under those shadows.
  • The chin area. You've worked on it a little bit and I can see where you slightly rounded out around that area, but you need a bit more shading directly under the lip. If you look at some of the images I posted you can see what I mean. In general you could use stronger definition in the hcin area, but what you really need is that little dark spot under the lip.

Obviously mastering the facial structure will require a lot more practice and study.. and some features will always piss you off (noses.. I bloody hate noses!! :P). But the more you study from photographs and the more you pay attention to the details, the more progress you'll make :thumbup:

Posted Image

Tried another pass at the skin with eye and lip edits; got some blending issues still and that left side the highlight probs goes too far up and the pupils are noticeable different sizes but meh I need sleep now.

jacob8_by_sy_accursed-d4ruaue.png

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Not really an update to this but just a bit of a heads up, this painting is taking a while cause I'm working on 9 of these:

9ofpents_by_sy_accursed-d4rzx87.png

Comic inserts for my creative writing dissertation; can't get marks for the art only for the narrative purpose so going for an intentionally cartoony, 2 tone kinda pillow shaded style that I can bang out each 1 in about an hour. Though it kinda makes me cringe a bit doing this style so I only muster 1 a day which kinda eats up time for doing other arts.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok so been like FOREVER but I have been doing some little bits and bobs on this between deadlines, revision etc. Hoping to get back into it properly this coming week!

Updateness up-top.

Wanna work on the right eye some more definitely, think it looks better with it being darker due to shadows, but it's not blended right atm.

Also think I need to soften the line on the jaw just a little bit so its more of a detail of the face than a line showing an edge.

Plv6Dz6.jpg