Guest Rob

Just watched the new episode. Holy crap. I did not see that coming. I know he was bad, but I didn't realise he was that much of an arse.

This was the best episode of the series I think.

I agree with both of these statements.

-looks up who yakone is-

Ok. I totally thought it was Tarrlok in the flashback. I guess it would be that Yakone guy.

Still. I don't have enough information on what happened to Yakone, but is it possible Yakone = Tarrlok?

Since this happened around 40(?) years ago and they look somewhat of the same age, I doubt it. Maybe his father though? They look somewhat the same...

He's a powerful blood bender which makes him a powerful water bender, and water bending can also be used for healing. It's not that much of a stretch that he also uses his bending to slow down/stop his aging via water bending healing. Which would also explain why he's such a good bender - he's had lots of time to practice. I'd need to hear more about Yakone's story tho, to determine how likely it is that he's still alive and kicking. Either way, it can't be a coincidence that they look the same.

Also, I was talking to a guy who was saying how fire benders seemed to always be the bad benders. Well, Dai Li are bad earthbenders, and we have a bad water bender =D

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

All I know is that, as good as this series has been so far, it will have to progress by leaps and bounds to have anywhere near the emotional effect on me that TLA did.

TANSTAAFL

Just watched the new episode. Holy crap. I did not see that coming. I know he was bad, but I didn't realise he was that much of an arse.

This was the best episode of the series I think.

I agree with both of these statements.

-looks up who yakone is-

Ok. I totally thought it was Tarrlok in the flashback. I guess it would be that Yakone guy.

Still. I don't have enough information on what happened to Yakone, but is it possible Yakone = Tarrlok?

Since this happened around 40(?) years ago and they look somewhat of the same age, I doubt it. Maybe his father though? They look somewhat the same...

He's a powerful blood bender which makes him a powerful water bender, and water bending can also be used for healing. It's not that much of a stretch that he also uses his bending to slow down/stop his aging via water bending healing. Which would also explain why he's such a good bender - he's had lots of time to practice. I'd need to hear more about Yakone's story tho, to determine how likely it is that he's still alive and kicking. Either way, it can't be a coincidence that they look the same.

Also, I was talking to a guy who was saying how fire benders seemed to always be the bad benders. Well, Dai Li are bad earthbenders, and we have a bad water bender =D

I will give you that. Dai li aren't really.. like Bad benders, they're like Nazi Soldiers, You think they're bad, but they're just people following orders

Can't say the same for Him, he's just evil, you can see that look in his eye.

But honestly, Hint at racism much? Oppressing people just because their different? Fun learning.

If you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Enjoyed the episode, though some parts felt a bit rushed. The bits at the beginning with Tenzin's children and the group was pretty funny.

I like to think that Tarrlok's actions against non-benders double as both a power grab and a way to force Amon out into the open for him to take on. Otherwise they just seem two-dimensionally evil. I definitely don't think he's in league with Amon, either. He flipped out when Korra compared them both.

Fun fact time: Yakone translates to "blood on the snow" in an Inuit dialect. The things you can learn on the internet. ~foreshadowing~

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Enjoyed the episode, though some parts felt a bit rushed. The bits at the beginning with Tenzin's children and the group was pretty funny.

I like to think that Tarrlok's actions against non-benders double as both a power grab and a way to force Amon out into the open for him to take on. Otherwise they just seem two-dimensionally evil. I definitely don't think he's in league with Amon, either. He flipped out when Korra compared them both.

Fun fact time: Yakone translates to "blood on the snow" in an Inuit dialect. The things you can learn on the internet. ~foreshadowing~

Yeah, he flipped out, but why? What I've read is that many people considered his expression to be "angry" which wasn't my observation. For me, it looked more like a cross between being shocked and terrified, which would obviously make a connection between those two much more likely.

All I know is that, as good as this series has been so far, it will have to progress by leaps and bounds to have anywhere near the emotional effect on me that TLA did.

I also agree with that. The pause in the series last week led me to rewatch TLA (I apparently can't live without my avatar fix every week :P) and damn, it was good. The legend of korra doesn't have that effect by far. I guess I'm being a bit unfair as I've already watched 60 episodes of TLA(several times) which is obviously more than those 8 of Korra, but...I really don't feel that emotional investment. I couldn't care less about Asami, and Bolin and Make aren't really established characters either. Even Korra is somewhat...bleak.

I also feel like the plot isn't really moving forward. Amon has been established a few episodes earlier, and while things have happened, they kind of always fall in the same category. It's always Amon and the equalists doing their thing, Tarrlok using that ridiculous idea of a council(Really, who thought that was a good idea?) to oppress non-benders more and so on.

At least it looks like we'll be seeing some more epic bending fights now...

It really bothers me how the fire, earth and southern water tribe representatives don't have a voice at all. Only two of the council has actually been developed into characters. I'm not saying they need to be fully developed characters, but it'd be nice if they could show some spine. Some character. Actually say something.

I actually think Tarlok might be controlling council sessions via bloodbending. It's a bit of a stretch, but I can't think of any other good reason that the council (except for Tenzin) seems to blindly follow Tarlok. They could have at least had some of the council votes end with a 3/2 split. Even do it a couple times, so that it can be a different character, to establish that the three nameless council members aren't just mindless drones -.-

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

It really bothers me how the fire, earth and southern water tribe representatives don't have a voice at all. Only two of the council has actually been developed into characters. I'm not saying they need to be fully developed characters, but it'd be nice if they could show some spine. Some character. Actually say something.

I actually think Tarlok might be controlling council sessions via bloodbending. It's a bit of a stretch, but I can't think of any other good reason that the council (except for Tenzin) seems to blindly follow Tarlok. They could have at least had some of the council votes end with a 3/2 split. Even do it a couple times, so that it can be a different character, to establish that the three nameless council members aren't just mindless drones -.-

Unless Tarlok is a BAMF who can bloodbend 24/7 and over distances, it doesn't seem likely(The council members would speak out after they are free from bloodbending control)

But I agree that the council doesn't seem to matter at all. Not only is the whole concept of it very flawed and open for corruption but as you said, Tarrlok has the other three secure in his grip. I hope the show offers an explanation for that later...

Unless Tarlok is a BAMF who can bloodbend 24/7 and over distances, it doesn't seem likely(The council members would speak out after they are free from bloodbending control)

But I agree that the council doesn't seem to matter at all. Not only is the whole concept of it very flawed and open for corruption but as you said, Tarrlok has the other three secure in his grip. I hope the show offers an explanation for that later...

It's not just the fact that they're secure in his grip that bothers me, it's the fact that they have no personality or character at all. Even the way they're animated is very... they way they're drawn or animated makes them look like background characters. They have never even spoken once. They aren't being developed into characters at all. I'm not saying they need to be fully developed characters, but it'd be nice for them to actually have a voice - literally. I mean, think of all the character development Tenzin's kids have had - they are, in theory, less plot significant then these councilors.

I've got nothing against those kids btw. But the councilors are, in theory, making big decisions which affect all of republic city. The task force probably had to get council approval, the council decision not to cancel the pro-bending championship was a council decision, and the legal oppression of non-benders had to get council approval. In theory, this makes ALL of the council more significant to the plot then anything Tenzin's kids have done. Yet only two of the councilors have NAMES.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Well, I believe that this was done intentionally to show how much Tarrlok has them in his control, but I agree with you that they should by fleshed out more, maybe explain why they are always agreeing with Tarrlok etc...

Guest Rob

I have to agree with you here... Perhaps it's because I watched the series for so long/connected with the characters so well, but TLA had a huge effect on me. I think TLK can do the same, provided some of the same messages get put into a few episodes soon.

Remember, TLA had 61 episodes to tell a single main story. LoK only has 12. There's no time for whole episodes of filler where characters learn life lessons. They can only keep driving the plot forward, which they're doing beautifully by the way.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Remember, TLA had 61 episodes to tell a single main story. LoK only has 12. There's no time for whole episodes of filler where characters learn life lessons. They can only keep driving the plot forward, which they're doing beautifully by the way.

I heard there was 2 seasons? So wouldn't it be more like 20+ episodes? Your point still stands though and I agree.

Staurolite.png

I heard there was 2 seasons? So wouldn't it be more like 20+ episodes? Your point still stands though and I agree.

Yeah it's 26 episodes altogether, though season 2 will most likely focus on a different story from what I've heard. So Riku's right, there are only really 12 episodes to tell the entire story of Amon.

Yeah it's 26 episodes altogether, though season 2 will most likely focus on a different story from what I've heard. So Riku's right, there are only really 12 episodes to tell the entire story of Amon.

Pretty sure they said season 2 would have a different villain, and I think it's obvious who that will be given the last episode :P

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

So an episode 9 preview clip is on Nick. Tarrlok really does a crappy job with adding fake evidence.

This episode was the best so far imo. I'm also going to watch some old TLA episodes now, everything from before the book of fire is hazy at best.

I believe Korra is going to connect to the spirit world next episode and learn how to airbend to escape whatever prison they Tarlok sent her off to. Seems a given. Can't wait to see it^^

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Pretty sure they said season 2 would have a different villain, and I think it's obvious who that will be given the last episode :P

Interesting... I thought Amon would be the entire storyline of LOK but I'm glad it will be finished this season. I don't really think *he* might be the villain in season 2, but it's certainly possible :P

Staurolite.png

Episode was amazing, but the promo just terrified me.

I'm kinda disappointed that we all got for an explanation for Tarrlok's Bloodbending was "He's Yakone's son". I don't really like the idea of just randomly giving characters certain powers without some explanation to them. But it's not that important either.

I also think Amon just got a deal more terrifying. Being able to shrug off bloodbending just like that, when even Aang wasn't able to do it without the Avatar state...

Interesting is that while the Bloodbending immediately ceased working on Aang when he went into the Avatar state, Amon struggled against it for a tiny amount of time. I guess that makes a link between the Avatar(generally, not Korra) and Amon less likely

I'm kinda disappointed that we all got for an explanation for Tarrlok's Bloodbending was "He's Yakone's son". I don't really like the idea of just randomly giving characters certain powers without some explanation to them. But it's not that important either.

I also think Amon just got a deal more terrifying. Being able to shrug off bloodbending just like that, when even Aang wasn't able to do it without the Avatar state...

Interesting is that while the Bloodbending immediately ceased working on Aang when he went into the Avatar state, Amon struggled against it for a tiny amount of time. I guess that makes a link between the Avatar(generally, not Korra) and Amon less likely

Interesting that I had a theory that Tarrlok might have been genetically related to Yakone somewhere around Episode 7 or so. Kinda amused my theory of "bloodbending is illegal by law" was correct.

Since the next three episodes are going to involve the Equalists causing hell (the promo showed Amon about to de-bend Korra), anyone get the feeling they're just trying to make Amon as terrifying (and effective) as possible until the moment Korra can turn it around?

Just a theory/opinion, feel free to pick it too pieces. What if Amon was a cyborg? I mean, he was partially affected by Tarlok before he powered through him, and the equalists clearly have advanced technology meaning he could have been one.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Well, I like the explanation in the episode. Some benders are just REALLY, REALLY GOOD. Toph created metal bending, there's combustion man... Some people are good benders, and it could be genetic. Remember, bending is both an innate and an acquired skill - you need an innate ability to bend, but you still need a teacher of some sort. Tarrlok, being Yakone's son, was both born with a strong innate ability, and was likely trained by him at some point.

Also, they specify that no witness saw Yakone bending during the full moon, EVER. If they talk about bloodbending more, expect this to be brought up.

Just a theory/opinion, feel free to pick it too pieces. What if Amon was a cyborg? I mean, he was partially affected by Tarlok before he powered through him, and the equalists clearly have advanced technology meaning he could have been one.

Him ignoring bloodbending is more likely an extension of his own ability to remove bending. Worth noting - combustion man. I'd say you're crazy, but I'm pretty sure combustion man was something resembling a cyborg, in which case a very secluded, hidden group (if it was a big group, we should've seen more people like him) would have had cyborg technology for decades...

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Metalbending just had to be discovered though, where bloodbending usually needs the strength from the full moon, so it's not quite the same.

I would rather see the parallel between combustion man and Yakone/Tarrlok, as in they have unique abilites that cannot be explained with normal bending.

As for Amon, I really think he's energybending, and somehow that gave him the power to overcome Tarrlok's bloodbending. Remember we don't really know much about energybending yet.

There are two possibilites I can see how he came to that power, either because he was born with, similar to Yakone/Tarrlok/Combustion Man; Or he did indeed learnt it from a spirit for whatever reason.

I think it'll just be that he has the power/strength of will or whatever to just push through Tarrlok's bending. It's a lot simpler than cyborg technology, and it makes Amon more effective as a villain. Though it would be hilarious if Korra hit Amon with a fire blast and part of his mask/face came off to show a glowing red eye, Terminator-style.

The episode felt really rushed. Between the love triangle bit and the flashback (I was not a fan of Sokka's VA, same with Aang's but to a lesser extent), along with the polarbeardog ex machina, I wasn't too fond of it. A definite step down from last episode, at least. Lin ramping that tram, Aang's airball 2.0 and Amon's "I am the solution" were the highlights, I think. Also Bolin.

Pretty glad that the finale will be an hour long.

e - I hope Tarrlok doesn't just drop off the face of the earth after this. I really want to see how he reacts in the long run to having no bending.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I loved the voice acting of the older characters; while the choice of voice actors is debatable, I particularly liked how all the characters have the same style of speaking (particularly Aang) from TLA.