Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Steam] Kerbal Space Program - Update 0.22: Career Mode!

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

misterxman
[ Display Name History ]

misterxman

The Noob Pixelator

• Members
  • 7,711 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Albel - I think what happened is that your download got cut-off so you didn't get the full zip file. The 0.14 game ZIP should be 177.8 MB, but it appears the server downloaded only 145 MB. This is a known issue and SQUAD is working on a better download server, but basically the only solution is to re-download the entire thing or download the 7 split ZIP files and extract them all in same place.
Posted Image
Pixel sigs by me.
Pixel Art

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Albel
  • RSN2:Seaoh
  • Clan:SoDB
Finally got it to work. Pretty pumped to start playing again... :thumbup:

EDIT:
First orbit with the new game.

Next goal, to the mun and back... :mellow:

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

misterxman
[ Display Name History ]

misterxman

The Noob Pixelator

• Members
  • 7,711 posts
New update coming out tomorrow:

Hi again,

I have news:

After a pretty long week of work, I think it's safe to say we are just about ready to release the 14.2 update. Barring any unforeseen problems, it should be going up tomorrow. :)

The terrain system is pretty much ready to go here. There is still a lot of room for improvement, but for now, it is quite presentable I think. Here are some screenshots:

Flying around KSC (Aircraft uses mod parts that are not included in the official release):
Posted Image

Much improved shorelines and transparent shallow water. Also, the KSC area is now blended smoothly with the terrain:
Posted Image

The Mun - The new texture generating tools make for an almost imperceptible transition between low and high-detail scenery:
Posted Image

That's about it for now really. :)

Cheers

Looks awesome.
Posted Image
Pixel sigs by me.
Pixel Art

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts
Looks great!

I seem to be having an issue at the moment. All I want to do at the moment is to orbit the moon and come back. I seem to always miss the moon. I can almost get it...but I can never get an orbit. I almost get one, then I fall back to Kerbin :unsure:

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

misterxman
[ Display Name History ]

misterxman

The Noob Pixelator

• Members
  • 7,711 posts

Looks great!

I seem to be having an issue at the moment. All I want to do at the moment is to orbit the moon and come back. I seem to always miss the moon. I can almost get it...but I can never get an orbit. I almost get one, then I fall back to Kerbin :unsure:

When your ship's orbit switches from Kerbin's to the Mun's, you have to burn your engine Retrograde (opposite your direction of motion) at the Periapsis (PE) until the "arc" around the moon bends into a semi-circular orbit around it. Basically, your goal is to "slow" your ship down when you are near the Mun so you don't overshoot it and remain in orbit around it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Pixel sigs by me.
Pixel Art

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Looks great!

When your ship's orbit switches from Kerbin's to the Mun's, you have to burn your engine Retrograde (opposite your direction of motion) at the Periapsis (PE) until the "arc" around the moon bends into a semi-circular orbit around it. Basically, your goal is to "slow" your ship down when you are near the Mun so you don't overshoot it and remain in orbit around it.

Posted Image

That makes since :wall:

Another question, when should I launch and make a run to the mun? Like where should the moon be relative to the earth when I launch?

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

misterxman
[ Display Name History ]

misterxman

The Noob Pixelator

• Members
  • 7,711 posts

Another question, when should I launch and make a run to the mun? Like where should the moon be relative to the earth when I launch?

You can launch any time to get to the Mun :) The key is to set yourself in a circular "parking orbit" around Kerbin (80 km - 100 km) so your ship aligns itself until you reach the best point to burn for the Mun. From experience, the best time to burn for the Mun is to wait when it rises above Kerbin's horizon as you orbit east around Kerbin.

Posted Image

The end result is an orbit that has an Apoapsis that is around 45 degrees ahead of the Mun, but will align exactly with Mun's position.
Posted Image
Pixel sigs by me.
Pixel Art

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts
I know about a parking orbit (yay for knowing something), however the next bit of info should be invaluable to me. I will try this over the weekend and post my results later :mrgreen:

Thank you so much :thumbup:

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

Dizzle229
[ Display Name History ]

Dizzle229

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,771 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:dizzle229
Rant

Seriously, the demo works perfectly, yet the main game lags to the point of unplayability, though it does sometimes decide to flip me off by running smoothly for a few minutes. Messing with the settings has no affect whatsoever. There HAS to be a fix for this...
Posted Image

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly
I think I need to remake some of my rockets. Either the modded parts don't agree with the last update, or my something is wrong with the rocket as it is now refusing to leave the launchpad.

Dizzle229
[ Display Name History ]

Dizzle229

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,771 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:dizzle229

I think I need to remake some of my rockets. Either the modded parts don't agree with the last update, or my something is wrong with the rocket as it is now refusing to leave the launchpad.

Can you hear a low "pshhh" noise when you go to the launch pad? No idea why, but sometimes some of the engines break off.
Posted Image

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
Yeah, my computer finally stopped being silly and made the breaking sound clear. All the boosters work, but the main engines break every time. Also, sometimes the rocket just strait up explodes because why not.

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts
Made an orbit around the mun, but was unable to come back :mellow:

I also was not very flue efficient so I still have much to learn :mellow:

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
I FINALLY DID IT!

I finally managed to get a rocket to the Mun, landed on the Mun where the crew stayed for a bit to have lunch, then took off again.

The ride home was a bit scary though. Scary enough that I feel like I should be carrying a bit more fuel. I escaped Mun easy enough, and put myself back into a Kerbal orbit. Then I did a retro grade burn that used up most of my remaining fuel (down to like a quarter here). It's going well, I'm slowly heading back to Kerbal, and then the freaking Mun catches up and pulls me back into orbit. So the crew panics, and reorients the command pod away from the Mun again, and burn up all the remaining fuel. The fuel is gone before I can see what my orbit will be (still showing a line away from Mun). Well, as luck would have it it was a crash course for Kerbal, though this meant I wasn't going to get to choose my landing spot. At a couple KM up the crew gave a hearty farewell to the accent engine and fuel tank which had managed to get them home (which almost seems silly when you look at how many fuel tanks and engines it took to complete the trip in the other direction). This rocket (even though its literally the same design I keep using, I built this one from scratch and named it the Reventon) was carrying a Mechanical Jeb pilot assist, which adds a bit of weight, and doesn't seem to be all that structurally sound (might modify it for future flights). The Mech gave out on impact with the ocean at a breezy 13.6m/s, which caused the parachute to fall off (Mech sits on top of the pod, with the parachute attached to Mech). The Pod is safe and sound, if 'floating' a couple metres under water at the moment.

First, a beutiful horizon picture I have while I'm uploading:
Posted Image

Now, takeoff:
Posted Image

Landed:
Posted Image

Splash Down:
Posted Image

This will however be the only mission of the Reventon rocket. The design has some very serious flaws with handleing when it jetisons the Liquid fuel boosters, probably because the virtually identical Thor (which handles better at this point) has an SAS unit at top of each main engine stack, where the Reventon instead uses just one on top of the tricoupler. This makes it impossible to run the main engines at more than a little over 2/3, without causing it to tip, and this can only be achieved with nearly constant RCS use (you have to run the engine under 1/3 to correct the heading as well). So after this, it will be the Thor Mk II's, which will incorporate the best of both designs. I want a more stable launch platform, and I want an accent stage that can achieve Mun orbit, and break it, so that I can return to Kerbal from any point on the Mun (the Kerbal Space program would like to leave something on the far side as well.

Also, since this was the first mission after installing the new version, persistence was reset so I got to do this with the infamous Jebediah, who as can be seen in the takeoff shot, is having a blast while his companions are trying not to wet themselves.

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
CONTACT!

After many hours, and a couple misses, history has been made over Kerbin, as Upsilon Gamma performed the spacial maneuver 'ramming' against fellow rocket Upsilon Beta at 200,307m above the surface of our planet. Beta then returned the favor by giving Gamma a nudge, as can be seen here:
Posted Image

Both rockets will soon be deorbited, and their crews debriefed. Now that we have proven that space rondevouz are indeed possible, we will begin work immediatly one creating parts that will allow rockets to dock with one another.

And that took a long time, a lot of practice flights, and a boat load of patience, with more than my fair share of screw up along the way to get that picture. Both rockets still have main engines with enough fuel to perform at least semi controlled de-orbiting procedures (which is good because RCS would take forever on rockets that large). I spent a while trying to get them to line up nose to nose. I suspect if I oriented one to nose up, it would roll as it orbits rather than spin end for end, and make sure a maneuver possible. Good test of piloting and orbiting skill though. Not as easy as the video made it look. I also love how at about 300m out, it removed the nav icon, which would have been nice for knowing when to start reversing.

Damn that was fun though.

misterxman
[ Display Name History ]

misterxman

The Noob Pixelator

• Members
  • 7,711 posts
After many crashed and flipped rovers, I finally found the second Munolith:

Posted Image

This was a nice challenge, definitely having fun with the new terrain update, and the plug-ins like the cart/truck are awesome
Posted Image
Pixel sigs by me.
Pixel Art

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts
I started playing again a couple days ago. My rocket can get to the mun, and orbit the mun just fine. However I one issue. I have such a hard time getting an orbit around Kurbin, that I don't have enough fule to come back to it on the return trip. If I posted a couple pics of my rocket could I get some advice on how to improve it?

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

misterxman
[ Display Name History ]

misterxman

The Noob Pixelator

• Members
  • 7,711 posts

I started playing again a couple days ago. My rocket can get to the mun, and orbit the mun just fine. However I one issue. I have such a hard time getting an orbit around Kurbin, that I don't have enough fule to come back to it on the return trip. If I posted a couple pics of my rocket could I get some advice on how to improve it?

Yeah go for it :) I suspect that perhaps you're burning your engine at a point that puts you with too much velocity relative to Kerbin, and hopefully can be fixed by just picking a better burn location.
Posted Image
Pixel sigs by me.
Pixel Art

Albel
[ Display Name History ]

Albel

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

My most successful rocket. It get's the job done, just not at 100% :unsure:

Also, before this last patch/update I had a rocket that had one extra fule tank on the side rockets and the main rocket. When I built that one and launched it, it would not get off the ground. I did not see what the patches were for, so did they maybe mess with the physics a little bit or am I going crazy?

35bvvh1.png

Quotes

Runescape Achievements

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
Someone finally made a part/plugin that can help find the monoliths, which should make the search fun again (I don't mind looking, but I need to know if I am heading in the right direction or else I feel like I am wasting my time.

Now I just need to figure out where the stupid extra Space Center(s) is/are. They say you can see it from the map, and I'm fairly certain its on another continent, but urgh. I've identified a few likely target spots and dispatched my Ares scout plane to check it out (which can get from the KSC to the north or south pole in 11-12 minutes). I've not had much chance to scout the far side though which is where I think it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users