How do you deal with randoms asking to be your friend?

tripsis

I never know how to react to these situations :( I really don't like adding random people to my friends list. I like to keep it limited to people who are actually my friends. That's why I hate situations like this:

Random: Nice cape!

Me: Thanks :)

Random: Add me so we can be friends?

That's about when I go "Uhhhhh, how to get out of this..." I don't want to add them but I have no idea how to say no without sounding like a total ass.

How do you deal with these situations?

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I just be honest. I tell them that I normally don't add people right away or my list is full (generally is these days d'oh), but they can definitely still chat with me in HYT chat and meet other cool people too. :D

Logout

List is full ;\

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT LOLOL

Maybe this is why people don't add me :-k

Sometimes I add them if they ask for it, and then at my next logout, I remove them.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Most of the time I go with "Sorry, my list is full". But yeah, I hate that situation. I always feel like an ass and so mean for trying to avoid them, lol.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

List is full. Strange dat...

Siobhana.jpeg

Siobhana.png

Siobhana.png

Ty Jeppoz for making it. Thx to the Pup for finding it after it got lost :D And thx to Kill_Life and Turtle for the ava.

Stoltenberg, 22/7-11: "We will retaliate with more democracy" In remembrance of Oslo/Utøya. May we never forget, nor be pulled down to the level of the beast

I just be honest. I tell them that I normally don't add people right away

I said that today and he started using crying smiley faces and told me to make an exception :| I made a run for it (literally).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Lol, everyone who's posted so far is (or was) Tip.It staff! Guess I'll continue that.

Like others before I'll say that my list is full, or if I'm feeling very honest, I'll just say that I don't want to. Sometimes the truth is better than a lie.

I just be honest. I tell them that I normally don't add people right away

I said that today and he started using crying smiley faces and told me to make an exception :| I made a run for it (literally).

Tripsis, if they start doing that and becoming troublesome to your gameplay experience, you can always report for "Disruptive Behavior" and put them on your Ignore List. At that point, they're breaking the rules by harassing you. :!: :idea:

Thankfully, this one has never had to go to the extent of reporting, albeit that even having been bothered is very annoying in and of itself. People have tended to back off after being told that this one's list was full, or that this one doesn't add on first appearances, no exceptions. But that's probably very much because this one is male, unlike you. :(

Worst case, you end up changing your character's gender and wander around controlling a male, right? I can just see it now, all the male-handling fun in the world for a female. (Just Kidding!) :P

~D. V. "It could have been worse, right?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Lol, everyone who's posted so far is (or was) Tip.It staff! Guess I'll continue that.

When I was on the crew, I used to keep my Private on 'Friends' because of the number of total strangers PM'ing me. It used to be maybe two or three per session. Some of them were HYTers and some were giving corrections (I worked on the Bestiary), so obviously they were welcome, but the vast majority were after nothing specific except 'being friends with a TIF staff member'. Since leaving almost five years ago, and since starting this new account about two years ago, I've been able to keep my Private on 'On' and the only hassle I've had so far has come from RS gold bots. It was a difficult balancing act, because you were staff, you were constantly in the public eye, so where normally someone would just log off/add to ignore, it didn't seem professional for me to do that, and it wouldn't represent the staff as a whole in a good light.

Nowadays I just change worlds, unless I'm slaying and I've got some good spawns, in which case I just add them, pretend I'm semi-AFK, tell them when I've got to get ready for work, and ignore them just before I log off. It's actually really easy to brush people off on RuneScape, compared to XBL over a microphone.

I've never had to deal with this problem for quite a while; I don't generally add people (because I tend to ignore people and I'm really bad at small talk so small conversations never work out) and vice-versa, and most chatting I have tends to take place with friends chat regulars. Haven't added (or got added by) a person in maybe 2 years or so.

I might add them, wait until they ask me for free stuff, then remove them... :rolleyes:

Generally that's how it goes if someone completely random just asks to add me because I'm maxed combat and/or wearing neat gear.

I do make friends from random chats though. They're just usually more substantial than a single compliment.

2dgucz6.png

I tend to tell them my list is full, easiest way out of it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

My list is currently full, I will clean it out over the weekend as i don't want to accidentally delete the wrong people. I will add you to my notes as a reminder to add you.

The secret to lying is to throw in lots of irrelevant details.

When I still played, I was pretty up front with them, let them know I'm looking for a meaningful and interesting conversation with them if they want to be friends. Instead of saying "yes" or "no" if they asked to be friends straight away, I'd try to engage them in [what I considered] meaningful and interesting conversation. If they took well to it, I added them. If they didn't, I wouldn't.

I played with Public on, and the ones that I enjoyed talking to resonate pretty strongly with me, so if I remember the conversation that I had with them, there's usually no problem. If I don't remember it or I didn't like their conversation, then I didn't reply, or I'd try to figure out where we met up. Anyway, that's how I did it.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I usually add them and talk to them for a while, but within the next few days I either never hear from them again or they don't log in anymore, so I delete them.

I'm guessing a lot of them want you to add them because you're a player moderator, tripsis. :)

That reminds me.. did you add me yet? 8-)

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Tripsis posts = everyone else wants to post too :P

<-------- I don't share my name so I don't have randomers asking me out of nowhere to be the best of friends. However if I do strike up conversation with the odd fellow player and they request an add, I accept and until conversation grows old or I/they have been inactive for too long, I remove them and continue with my scaping.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

My public chat is usually off, so I never see people's requests to friend me. However, when I do have my chat on, I usually just tell them that I old add people I know IRL. (The only exception being a few of you guys here)

With being TMHT, I've had to keep private on friends a few times, people randomly pming me saying "Hey remember me from [boss] event? Add me!"

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Well, I just say that I can't add them because I don't add random people BUT I also say that I'm usually with chat on (gotta be, clan's rank requires me to have chat on all the time to add people) so if they want to ask something/need help with something, they can just pm me. My list is nowhere near full most of the time since I "clean" it every 3 months or so, so I can always reply back. Kind of funny, I met a good bunch of my best rs friends doing this, some people randomly pm'd me, one thing brought another, and they became friends.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif