Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Membership For Life

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Jeffwilson99
[ Display Name History ]

Jeffwilson99

Sheep love astroturf kiwi fruit sandwiches egg noodles rabbits

• Members
  • 4,232 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Lifetime membership? How do they define that? If you were the last ever Runescape player, you'd still have members?

In previous contests, it has amounted to only about 10-11 years of membership (Excl posted a screenshot when he won the first Machinima contest of his login page showing 4052 days remaining.)

Interesting...I wonder if those days ran out and he asked for more whether Jagex would give them to him... :-k
Posted Image

Kaur
[ Display Name History ]

Kaur

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
  • Clan:RSD
Posted Image
For anyone wondering how does lifetime p2p look like.
(After winning the Jagex cup, we got to choose one member to get a trip to Jagex and lifetime p2p.)

Good luck everyone!

Silver Eros
[ Display Name History ]

Silver Eros

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Silver Eros

I think I would (and rather) have a better chance at winning the lottery.

Win the lottery -> pay for membership -> PROFIT?

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy
Whoever wins this will be very happy.

There is so little chance of winning.

Trey
[ Display Name History ]

Trey

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • RSN:Trey
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts

Posted Image
(After winning the Jagex cup, we got to choose one member to get a trip to Jagex and lifetime p2p.)

Good luck everyone!

14 years isn't a lifetime

Posted Image

Pete Party
[ Display Name History ]

Pete Party

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted Image

Good luck everyone!

14 years isn't a lifetime

*giggles*

Average lifetime in RS lore is 14 years lolollol

(made that up, dont hit me for being wrong)
Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

Star.
[ Display Name History ]

Star.

Retired Moderator

• Members
  • 4,338 posts
Maybe for some reason they couldn't go higher than that and would add another 5025 days when those days were over :-k Or maybe a Jagex lifetime is similiar to lifetime in prison. It's not actually your whole life.

Posted Image
☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Maybe for some reason they couldn't go higher than that and would add another 5025 days when those days were over :-k Or maybe a Jagex lifetime is similiar to lifetime in prison. It's not actually your whole life.

I assumed that they don't expect the game to be around in more than 14 years. Very long time as far as technology is concerned.

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
Then again, RuneScape is about 11 years old. XD

blakdragon39
[ Display Name History ]

blakdragon39

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • RSN:Blakdragon39
  • Clan:MASORS

Nothing but luck means everyone has the same chance of winning

Everyone ...

• that is a paying member,
  • that spins twice per day, every day,
  • that knows about the competition on the forum, and
  • that only uses spins on 1 account
have the same chance of winning. Otherwise, you have an increased/decreased chance of winning that could, in theory, be significant.

I'm not going to fuss over it since it's not the end of all time, but do not think it's entirely "fair" just because it's "luck"-based. They don't automatically go hand-in-hand.

I had no idea this competition existed until I saw it posted on reddit. I doubt many people here regularly spend a bunch of time on the rsof. I know I don't. Definitely doesn't hurt anyone's chances to make people aware of it. :D
Posted Image

Thus
[ Display Name History ]

Thus

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Basically this causes 2 problems

1) More people likely to hack guy who has unlimited membership
2) (my opinion) More likely for him to get banned, as Jagex cares about making money off people. I pay 1 month at a time so jagex won't just ban me for "hijacking" or botting or something that has no evidential backing and run off with my money.

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
If you have that low a view of the company I'm interested why you still pay them anything. Move to a game backed by someone you feel has more integrity..?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts

2) (my opinion) More likely for him to get banned, as Jagex cares about making money off people. I pay 1 month at a time so jagex won't just ban me for "hijacking" or botting or something that has no evidential backing and run off with my money.

The amount of paranoia in this post is unbelievably amazing. I mean, really, I want to screencap it as proof that people like this exist.

1) Only way someone is getting hack is if they screw up themselves.

2) the 6 month membership is 5-10$ less total. They may be a company, but that 10$ isn't even going to be noticed by them.
The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,848 posts
  • RSN '07:Derplander
And what about players unfairly banned from the forums? They cant post so does that mean they're instantly ruled out?

Popoto.~<3

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  • RSN:Makoto D

1) When one is compromised, the intruders are more concerned with the goods on the account, and not so much the account itself. If the account is found engaging in RWT or something else against Jagex's policy, the lifetime membership would be removed. This alone is incentive enough to keep the account secure, which is something that the player should always be doing.

2) Jagex makes no money from someone on lifetime membershp, so I fail to see your argument.

And what about players unfairly banned from the forums? They cant post so does that mean they're instantly ruled out?

Well, if entries are only taken via official forums, and their posting privileges were revoked - either fairly or unfairly - I would believe so. It sucks, but if that's how Jagex wants to do it...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Thus
[ Display Name History ]

Thus

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

If you have that low a view of the company I'm interested why you still pay them anything. Move to a game backed by someone you feel has more integrity..?

For the same reason why you buy certain clothes or food. You like the product, not the company.

The amount of paranoia in this post is unbelievably amazing. I mean, really, I want to screencap it as proof that people like this exist.

1) Only way someone is getting hack is if they screw up themselves.

2) the 6 month membership is 5-10$ less total. They may be a company, but that 10$ isn't even going to be noticed by them.

1) It is very easy to recover someone's account. It has happened to many HLF members and I have proof from close friends of mine, even those with recovery questions that are completely random letters and numbers. And spite alone is enough to make someone act.

2) Valid point, but also I don't want to throw away a potential $50+ if I pay for a year up front and get banned. I don't know the yearly rate don't quote it.

Sorry I am hilarious to you, but my account is important to me.

1) When one is compromised, the intruders are more concerned with the goods on the account, and not so much the account itself. If the account is found engaging in RWT or something else against Jagex's policy, the lifetime membership would be removed. This alone is incentive enough to keep the account secure, which is something that the player should always be doing.

2) Jagex makes no money from someone on lifetime membershp, so I fail to see your argument.

1) Read what I said about 1 above

2) Read again what I said please. And it isn't an argument, it is an opinion.

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
They can't recover your account if they don't know the answers. People who get their accounts recovered are the same people that make RS facebook pages with their private info in plain sight. *makes recovery question my birthday, posts birthday on all available RS forums and facebook*. I made that mistake once. Made my answers real answers to the recovery questions. Thought I was safe, was recovered by a friend (this was many years ago on my original acc). If you're not stupid, you won't get hacked. If you have random answers to the questions, they have some other info from you that you let slip onto the internet.

As for the topic at hand;
I'm split on this. I like the fact that Jagex is doing more of these little contest things, but don't really like that it's the person who gets the super rare item who gets a bonus lifetime membership.

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  • RSN:Makoto D

1) Read what I said about 1 above

2) Read again what I said please. And it isn't an argument, it is an opinion.

1) Even keeping your recovery questions secure is a part of keeping the account secure. End of.

2) Fine then; I don't see what your paranoia is. You don't lose any cash when you've won a lifetime membership, and it's always in your best interests to stay within Jagex's rules. Then again, this rationale is similar to buying membership anyway - if you're going to make an investment in the game, be it of money or time, you don't want to break the rules to get banned. Jagex doesn't just ban players on a whim, contrary to popular fear.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

la la la
[ Display Name History ]

la la la

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,939 posts
Whoever designed the squeal of fortune and came up with this forum contest should be fired

lalalasig2.png

blakdragon39
[ Display Name History ]

blakdragon39

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • RSN:Blakdragon39
  • Clan:MASORS

They can't recover your account if they don't know the answers. People who get their accounts recovered are the same people that make RS facebook pages with their private info in plain sight. *makes recovery question my birthday, posts birthday on all available RS forums and facebook*. I made that mistake once. Made my answers real answers to the recovery questions. Thought I was safe, was recovered by a friend (this was many years ago on my original acc). If you're not stupid, you won't get hacked. If you have random answers to the questions, they have some other info from you that you let slip onto the internet.

As for the topic at hand;
I'm split on this. I like the fact that Jagex is doing more of these little contest things, but don't really like that it's the person who gets the super rare item who gets a bonus lifetime membership.

I never even thought of this.. But now that I have I think it seems unfair too. =\ Super lucky person gets even more insanely lucky? Alright I guess.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users