6-March-2011 - Player Armour, Gnomes and Clan Fealty

Saradomin_Mage

I don't dispute that it's a good update that is sure to drive the game forward, but you have to sometimes wonder what the concept artists were thinking.

torvaa.png

:lol:

all in all, not toooo bad jagex.... rune looks like space aliens, and i miss the all platebodies, be they rune or bronze looking the same... wish they hadn't made each set identically different.

my big problem however is...

MY MOTHER (BLEEPING) TORVA@

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE JAGEX YOU MAD FOOLS I FEEL LIKE A MAN WEARING PURPLE PANTS AND 5 PURPLE BRAS UNDER A TANK TOP.....

helm looks, as pointed out like the de-development artists were a bit high.....

Kinda reminds me of Darth Vader from Star Wars.

First Torva helm looks like a spiky Storm Trooper helm, now it looks like anorexic Darth Vader. Usually going from underling's->overlord's style is awesome (especially in the case of Darth Vader) but Jagex somehow managed to mess this one up.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I posted this on the RSOF in case you want to reply here is the QFC:

[qfc]15-16-564-63615286[/qfc]

Spoiler because its quite lenghty! Be warned!

Hello everyone *waves*,

my name is, as you can read to the left, Miss Lioness. I'm playing this game since 2005. It makes me sad when I see people going over their head when they do not like an update. These forums are no longer what it used to be: constructive, calm, unbiased, etc. After these 2 days of reading this specific sub-forum, I decided to voice my opinion about the update, in a humble but honest way . (And I try to get a shot of being a Player Moderator, a long standing dream. But I know wont become one . A woman can dream, right? )

There is just one thing I want to get out of the way first: I try (underlined) to be unbiased! I'll continue to do this with every next update. Feel free to PM me in-game, do not hold yourselves back, if you feel like to tell me something or to let me know! Also please let me know if I make a grammar mistake, getting bad grades at school because I use words out of place. For example: "I food eat." instead of "I eat food." (NOTE: that was just an example).

Back on topic.

Pre-Launch.

This week's update was mainly focused on the graphical overhaul of the Armour's. Before this week's update there was already a minor pre-launch of upgraded armour in January. The opinion back then was mainly that the icon's were difficult to see the difference. I too had trouble with it back then, however I grew accustomed to it and can see the difference between with ease.

The look of the armour itself was greatly praised. This was shown in-game as well on the forums. Of course there were also complaints. Mainly because the barrow armour looked too greenish. That was noticed by Jagex and they announced it to be reworked. Not much later it was recoloured and the greenish was changed to let it look more black.

Going a bit further back in time, at Runefest Jagex gave let us know that there will be a graphical rework of the armour. The comments, that I have seen, on the pictures that got "leaked" was fairly positive. These pictures included armour of this update, for example the barrow armour. If one wanted to prevent or change something about the upgrade, then one should have started back then which was 4 months ago. From the story's from Runefest, people were quite enthusiastic with the re-modelling.

The Upgrade.

-Barrows.

The armour itself was a welcome change. The barrow equipment was nearly 7 years old. Aesthetic it was just not of our time anymore. Sure, it was well known armour and such but then you got to wonder: when does nostalgia start and when does renewing come? I decided for myself that this needed to come. For the good, for the bad.

-Metal Armour.

Previously the armour were the same style, for 11 years. Only what changed if you got one of a higher tier was the colour. (Stupid american correction >.>.) Sorry about that. When I started the armour did remember me a bit of the actual medieval armour's, just that I found it strange everyone would use the same type. It was normal to give it a touch of your own. Enhance it to your own liking.

Currently I can see that back into the upgraded armour's. When you get more experienced in combat, you'll want to show it off. As you are able to wear higher tier's of armour, you want to make it more impressive, more defensive too. You wouldn't want to have a gap in your arm. As soon as you can wear higher tier armour, it gets more defensive. Those gaps starts to get covered. Exactly what armour is supposed to do.

Conclusions on Metal armour upgrade: They did a fantastic job. It's starting to get fit in line of logic.

-Dragon hide Armour.

Here there was also an update in January, well kinda... The Studded Armour was given an update. You could already see here what the Dragon hide armour would look like. Not looking like you wore a sweater with some v shaped "scales". Hence it didn't even look like the real Dragon themselves. With the update yesterday, you can start to see parts of a dragon on the armour.

As you move through the tiers, it gets more defensive, heavier. I myself would think twice wearing heavy armour, yet in the case of the dragon hide, I can see it fitting. The left side of the armour is more heavily protected in case of incoming arrows or magical attacks. (One would naturally think of putting distant attacking combatants behind footmen like warriors, hence this stance).

And the right side is a bit more loose, so you can move the arm more freely to pull it back and then fire the arrow or wear a shield. Unfortunately, in this game we wear the weapon and, if you can, shield the other way around. We shoot with the wrong part in front. I myself would like to see that changed the other way around, but I won't rant if it doesn't get changed as aesthetically it is certain an improvement.

-The top armour. (Bandos, Armadyl, Torva)

This is were I think is the most fuss all about. It's understandable as they are the top class. You want it to look like you could conquer everything on your path. From a simple goblin to a mighty Dragon or even the strongest monsters like Jad, Har-Aken or Nex.

The main difficulty is that when the word was out that it will be changed, there is always a hope for a certain look and the expectation to fill in that hope. (If someone got a better word to fit in that sentence, please let me know , it doesn't feel right now.) I think that is where the problem started.

I can't really judge about how the armour looked before the update, but I try anyways. I think it wasn't really time to get it an upgrade. Especially armour as Torva, which is only out for a year. If they wanted to upgrade some content which was only a single year old, then my opinion is that it's what they should have implemented straight away.

With Bandos and Armadyl it's much different. Its indeed 4 years and 6 months old, only 2-3 years younger then Barrow armour. One could argue it should have gotten an update because the rest of the armour (Metal armour, Dragonhide) did too.

I find myself divided between it. Then this saying came into my mind:

Whether happiness may come or not, one should try and prepare one's self to do without it.

~George Eliot

I think that's what Jagex did. They decided to give it a go and went along with it to update Bandos and Armadyl armour.

The end result has apparently mixed feelings on the community. My own opinion is that it looks more or less the same then before. There's only more detail added to the armour, less chunky, more subtle.

-The miscellaneous. (DFS, Varrock Armour, Torso)

I'll start off with the DFS:

The DFS used to be simple. Take an Anti-Dragon Shield and add an dragon head (Visage) to it. Now it can actually act as a Dragon Kite (G). Has an glowing orb in it when its charged. I think that's a fantastic way to show whether a DFS was charged or not. It made the shield alive.

The Varrock Armour:

Not much to say about it, looks a lot like the old one. Maybe a bit more detailed.

Torso:

Also a lot of fuss about it. I don't get that. It actually looks decent. More of an armour then before. In my opinion this armour had one of the most improvements outside the Metal Armour. It doesn't look like a plastic body with some paintbrush like sixpack on it.

Conclusion:

The overall armour graphical upgrade was very detailed. As a woman who likes detail, its naturally that I like this update. Armour that is outdated (yes 11 years/7 years/5 years is outdated) they made a great comeback for the armour. I might wander into Free2Play worlds to show off Armadyl Rune Set with those great wings with it!

I really tried to compare the armour before and after. Before the update the overall opinion was outright positive and now a sudden burst of 2 days straight, heavily negative critism. I don't mean that the update is dominated with negative comments, but with the excessive wording of people opposed to the change.

One could come across much better if one would take time, trying to explain things clearly instead of using loaded language.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

xUQAs.png

looks pretty badass imo.

when i checked yesterday proselyte still wasnt updated.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

sniiav.pngSold Gilded before taking any pictures. It's pretty awful... Sorry!

Ended up selling most everything I bought actually. Will probably sell Dragon pieces too...

2ah893o.png

I'm not a man, I'm a weapon in human form. Just unsheath me and point me at the enemy.

Can't believe how many people asked me if I was wearing Torva. I started just saying yes. Full Torva with Torva kite!!

Wat is that white/black armour?

Void Melee Helm and Black (T). AKA Black (Torva).

11v713p.png

Black half set (plateskirt(T)) and updated ADFS

I'd post "updated" rune/blessed hide/Void but they honestly don't look any different than they did yesterday.

EDIT Hadn't heard anyone comment on it but it feels like Gnome Advanced Course is slightly faster now, but I just can't quite put my finger on it. I think it *might* be transitioning from the sign run to the bars is more fluid now, but I'm not sure.

2dgucz6.png

If zamorak armor is any indication, people seem to vote with their money that they like this graphical update. From firsthand transactions I gather the leg set is up at least half a million gp in real price (a 20% gain) since a few days ago.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Why would Torva get updated, but not Virtus or Pernix?

:(

Because they didn't want to risk making all 3 horrible at the same time.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

If zamorak armor is any indication, people seem to vote with their money that they like this graphical update. From firsthand transactions I gather the leg set is up at least half a million gp in real price (a 20% gain) since a few days ago.

Yeah, Sara (lg) was was selling for 4.7m almost instantly and often more for me. it was 3.94 a day or two before the update. That's a pretty big jump as well. I think the trimmed/god black, addy, and rune armors all look pretty good. Made a leisurely 1.5m or so (pretty good for me) in the past 24 hours while training other stuff :)

I'd like to see the elemental staffs and maybe the amulets and some other small things get a little brush up color/texture wise. Nothing radical but a little more dynamic so they don't look out of place with the new armor but maybe that's being too picky/optimistic. Though, the anti-dragon shields etc. seemed to be updated the next day after the rest so maybe more coming.

I really dont understand people hating this update so much, i cant understand if people dislike it, thats fair enough, but to spend days ranting about it.. i find that pretty sad. Stuff like this always happens when major updates happen then after a week everyone loves it, i personally liked this update, it just makes you realise how bad the old graphics actually were and as for the people saying they want 07 graphics back, most of them didnt even play at that time it makes me lol.

Yes, Jewsbro, I agree with you 100 percent percent. '07 graphics sucked! People should also shut up about updates because it's getting annoying as of late. Freaking hate whiners.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Saw this link on reddit. It's a comprehensive before and after of all the armors taken by omustardo. Good resolution to boot. It was cool looking at them all. Don't care what others say, I've always been impressed by the graphical updates starting with the dragons oh so long ago.

http://imgur.com/a/nim37#8

Edit: Apparently these shots came from this video - http://www.youtube.com/user/Omustardo/videos

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Saw this link on reddit. It's a comprehensive before and after of all the armors taken by omustardo. Good resolution to boot. It was cool looking at them all. Don't care what others say, I've always been impressed by the graphical updates starting with the dragons oh so long ago.

Edit: Apparently these shots came from this video - http://www.youtube.com/user/Omustardo/videos

By the lords of the sky, that is one epic collection there, thank you for finding it.

Overall, I like.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

Having a chance to properly see it (and up close too!), heraldic armor really looks horrible. The markings aren't actually ON the armor and they just look placed over top of the original models. It looks shoddy to me.

hzvjpwS.gif

Having a chance to properly see it (and up close too!), heraldic armor really looks horrible. The markings aren't actually ON the armor and they just look placed over top of the original models. It looks shoddy to me.

Really? I thought they looked pretty impressive and much better than the older versions. they looked much more worthwhile that the older ones too.

I don't quite see why people don't like Torva, I think it looks pretty epic.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

A lot of the armour looks unusable, which is a bit sad. Vanguard looks great and it's not all that unrealistically spiky, but most of the melee gear has ridiculous shoulder piecs (Torva included).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Really? I thought they looked pretty impressive and much better than the older versions. they looked much more worthwhile that the older ones too.

I mainly take issue with things like this:

http://imgur.com/a/nim37#38

http://imgur.com/a/nim37#39

http://imgur.com/a/nim37#44

Where you can see clearly that the heraldic symbols aren't actually a part of the armor, but instead look like they're ... a pin or some cheap press-on. To put so much work in redesigning the base kit itself and then slap on the symbols seems really strange to me. I agree that they look more "worthwhile" but that's really because of the fantastic work put into the basic kit itself.

hzvjpwS.gif

I mainly take issue with things like this:

http://imgur.com/a/nim37#38

http://imgur.com/a/nim37#39

http://imgur.com/a/nim37#44

Where you can see clearly that the heraldic symbols aren't actually a part of the armor, but instead look like they're ... a pin or some cheap press-on. To put so much work in redesigning the base kit itself and then slap on the symbols seems really strange to me. I agree that they look more "worthwhile" but that's really because of the fantastic work put into the basic kit itself.

I agree with those, especially black H1, which I had to look at 3-4 times to figure out what was going on there. The others however do looks good to me.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I fell in love with the saradomin and armadyl rune!

They seem to have switched the colors though. Saradomin was off-white before the update (Though I'm pretty sure it was changed from regular white when they released elite clues), now Armadyl is. Or at least, Armadyl went from silvery to yellowish, while Saradomin did the opposite...