Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The "new" iPad

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior

Keyboards everyday of the week. They're more cost effective if they break, you can type faster with them, and they're better designed ergonomically.

I'm not going to buy this because, if I'm being honest, I don't see what an iPad actually does that a cheaper tablet/mobile phone/PC can't already do, except be called an "iPad". I've yet to find an everyday function for an iPad that can't already be done by something else for considerably less.

You know you can buy wireless keyboards for the iPad right? Yes, if money is an issue I would definitely go with a lesser tablet. But you do lose out on the app store (main loss).

You're right, but you're missing the point slightly.

If I'm needing to buy a keyboard so I can sit at a desk and type (i.e. I'm using it as a stationary rather than a portable device), then I may as well not have a tablet, and I may as well be using a laptop/desktop instead, which for the same cost, I could arguably get better specs for anyway because it's 1) not Apple; and 2) not portable.

The_Gabe
[ Display Name History ]

The_Gabe

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN '07:The_Gabe555

What I don't get, and maybe you guys can explain this to me, is what people actually use a tablet for?

I can see particular uses for certain ones. There are a few occupations where a highly mobile and light computer is a huge bonus, such as labwork, and if I were in meetings all the time I would consider a blackberry tablet to go with my phone (and I imagine that apple tablets can interact with apple phones as well).

But outside of those areas, it hits me as too big to be convenient (for me, the size at which something can be taken anyplace is determined by my pockets, which normal means phone, a man wallet, and house keys). Anything else and there is no garuntee its always going to be on my person.

The other thing is I'm not sure what a tablet can do that my phone can't. It hits me as a large cell phone with a nice big screen and more computing power, but if I ever really need computing power on the go for some reason, for like $10 I can have an app to screen share with my PC. Not as good as having the processor right there in my hands, but I've yet needed more power than my humble 600MHz phone couldn't provide (still, could have waited for the next one which is a bit over a GHz).

So yeah, what do you people actually use tablets for?

I was wondering this too.
Posted Image

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

anonymous1234
[ Display Name History ]

anonymous1234

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,222 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
What's the point of having that large of a resolution on a tiny tablet screen? There's no reason you currently need anything better than 1080p on a portable device.

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • RSN:FuzzyBonez
iPad = Oversized iPod touch with a better processor, some more memory and a few better options, if I wanted one I would get it but while I can carry a laptop in the same bag I would carry an iPad in, the only difference is weight, and that really doesn't matter unless I have several very large items in with it because I hardly realise the weight otherwise...

Fuzzybonez.png

http://forum.tip.it/...n-eventual-max/ My blog of progress on Runescape.

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

What I don't get, and maybe you guys can explain this to me, is what people actually use a tablet for?

I can see particular uses for certain ones. There are a few occupations where a highly mobile and light computer is a huge bonus, such as labwork, and if I were in meetings all the time I would consider a blackberry tablet to go with my phone (and I imagine that apple tablets can interact with apple phones as well).

But outside of those areas, it hits me as too big to be convenient (for me, the size at which something can be taken anyplace is determined by my pockets, which normal means phone, a man wallet, and house keys). Anything else and there is no garuntee its always going to be on my person.

The other thing is I'm not sure what a tablet can do that my phone can't. It hits me as a large cell phone with a nice big screen and more computing power, but if I ever really need computing power on the go for some reason, for like $10 I can have an app to screen share with my PC. Not as good as having the processor right there in my hands, but I've yet needed more power than my humble 600MHz phone couldn't provide (still, could have waited for the next one which is a bit over a GHz).

So yeah, what do you people actually use tablets for?

I was wondering this too.

Same here. I know two friend with an iPad...all they ever really do is play some games on it and occasionally use it for their work stuff...but that's nothing what a laptop couldn't do and definitely not worth the price imo.

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts
I think the concept of tablets is pretty simple. Not everyone needs the power and size of laptops/desktops. I think it's fair to say the average consumer uses their computers mostly for simple tasks such as web browsing, music, email, etc. Tablets have made devices that focus on those sorts of tasks. I'd rather be sitting here in front of my TV right now watching the basketball game with a smaller device such as iPad then with my 15in MacBook Pro because all I'm doing is browsing random sites and messing around on Facebook and twitter. In no way am I even coming close to utilizing all the power of my laptop right now.
Posted Image

anonymous1234
[ Display Name History ]

anonymous1234

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

I think the concept of tablets is pretty simple. Not everyone needs the power and size of laptops/desktops. I think it's fair to say the average consumer uses their computers mostly for simple tasks such as web browsing, music, email, etc. Tablets have made devices that focus on those sorts of tasks. I'd rather be sitting here in front of my TV right now watching the basketball game with a smaller device such as iPad then with my 15in MacBook Pro because all I'm doing is browsing random sites and messing around on Facebook and twitter. In no way am I even coming close to utilizing all the power of my laptop right now.

You realize you can get laptops with more power than an iPad for less than $500, right? Nobody was comparing them to overpriced Macbooks.

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

But why not get a small laptop for fewer money then? Instead of a tablet...I just don't really see the big advantage of a Touchscreen over the versatility that a laptop offers with a real keyboard so you can use it both for simple tasks and normal work.

This is what mostly irks me about the iPad, more so than other apple products. Regardless if the iPad is better than other tablets or not...next to no one bought tablets before the iPad. Once apple comes out with it, it's the next big thing for some reason.

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

You realize you can get laptops with more power than an iPad for less than $500, right? Nobody was comparing them to overpriced Macbooks.

Yes, but I don't need another laptop because I don't even prefer using my own laptop for simple tasks because it's so over kill. Why do I need a powerful device when it isn't required? I'm getting the impression that some of you are much more concerned about the price of the device then the actual device itself. I can't control that.
Posted Image

stevepole
[ Display Name History ]

stevepole

Ace of Spades

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

But why not get a small laptop for fewer money then? Instead of a tablet...I just don't really see the big advantage of a Touchscreen over the versatility that a laptop offers with a real keyboard so you can use it both for simple tasks and normal work.

This is what mostly irks me about the iPad, more so than other apple products. Regardless if the iPad is better than other tablets or not...next to no one bought tablets before the iPad. Once apple comes out with it, it's the next big thing for some reason.

Yeah, there always netbooks but for the most part tablets are slowly taking over that market since they basically serve the same function but offer a better user experience by simplify everything. You want to log on? slide your finger, you want to check you email? touch here, use the internet? touch here. I don't think you can argue against how easy they've made everything.

Also I travel. When I'm traveling I'm most interested in checking emails, web browsing like checking my daily sites, maybe play a quick game or something to pass the time. Yeah I could do that with a full laptop but It's size is also an advantage because it's easy to toss it into my bag and now really have to worry about it being bulky, weight, massive power cords.

If it wasn't an Apple product I don't think so many people would have such an issue with it to be honest. There is just a stigma that some people have built around it that it's hard for some to see past it.
Posted Image

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
The only thing about it being Apple is, as with many things, you end up paying for the brand. I'm not saying that Apple doesn't usually put out a better product than others for the prices that they charge, that usually isn't the thing but people are just so hooked on the Apple brand for some reason. Personally, if I was to get a tablet I wouldn't get an Apple mainly for the fact that I've recently discovered some of the joys of modification among other things and from most of the things I've read, Apple products keep all parts, pieces, files, and chips locked up tighter than a chest full of 100 carat diamonds in Fort Knox...

Fuzzybonez.png

Lord Diddy
[ Display Name History ]

Lord Diddy

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • RSN:Diddy Ook
I know this is an "Apple" thread, but I'm getting the feeling that a few posters here are generalizing that a Tablet = iPad, there are dozens of tablets on the market and just because an iPad is "overpriced/overkill etc." doesn't mean the entire definition of tablet falls under that.

I personally own an Hp TouchPad (dual booted with android+WebOS) that i've gotten for 99$ during the firesale. Don't get me wrong, I still would have spent the 300 dollars it is worth now. I have to say for some people (especially me as a college student) a tablet has great benefits over a laptop when it comes down to portability, battery life, and just-enough performance.
Posted Image

anonymous1234
[ Display Name History ]

anonymous1234

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

I'm not saying that Apple doesn't usually put out a better product than others for the prices that they charge

But they don't. People have the misconception that Apple products are somehow of a higher quality. They aren't.

Bonez899
[ Display Name History ]

Bonez899

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

I'm not saying that Apple doesn't usually put out a better product than others for the prices that they charge

But they don't. People have the misconception that Apple products are somehow of a higher quality. They aren't.

Then change that to saying, they sometimes lead the field in development and are therefore given that misconception, from what I know nobody was going major with touch screen mp3 players, then the Ipod touch came along, as someone who watched computers for a while I can gauruntee you that nobody was going mainstream with just tablet devices no solid keyboard until after the Ipad was rushed out, most of this ends up coming along because Apple puts it out first so people think it is better, personally for 1500 dollars just for one of their basic laptops they can always go kiss my <3: in that category.

Fuzzybonez.png

anonymous1234
[ Display Name History ]

anonymous1234

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Then change that to saying, they sometimes lead the field in development and are therefore given that misconception, from what I know nobody was going major with touch screen mp3 players, then the Ipod touch came along, as someone who watched computers for a while I can gauruntee you that nobody was going mainstream with just tablet devices no solid keyboard until after the Ipad was rushed out, most of this ends up coming along because Apple puts it out first so people think it is better, personally for 1500 dollars just for one of their basic laptops they can always go kiss my <3: in that category.

Again, you have this misconception that Apple pioneers this stuff, when in fact they just popularize it, and then convince people that "EVERYBODY NEEDS TO OWN A TABLET IT"S REVOLUTIONARY", etc. Once Apple decides to revive a market for a specific piece of technology, other companies quickly start making their own versions at lower prices and people buy them.

I'll admit, the only useful thing that Apple has done in a while is actually pretty good, but used for the wrong purpose. I'm glad we're moving away from standard 1080p screens and are moving into higher resolutions, but using the tablet as a way of introducing "Retina Displays" is stupid, gimmicky, and just a way to get iPad 3 sales to surpass the previous 2 models. That tech would be much better suited on a real computer that could actually utilize it.

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Qu├ębec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr
Well, I'd say it's going to be hard for them to get new products popularized, now that Jobs is gone. They don't have the best products, but they're geniuses in marketing.

deacon377
[ Display Name History ]

deacon377

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • RSN:Deacon377

Apple Tablets: no physical keyboard and no Windows OS. I like my keyboards and I don't want to convert everything.

Rational reasoning behind, no way I'm buying an overpriced hipster Apple product.

Unless you're like me, and got one for free via a family member. kekekek.

In all reality, I've owned my Ipad for over a year now.
I listen to Pandora on it, watch Netflix and surf the inter-webs.
I have yet to update my OS on it.

It's a $500 toy that is not really capable of aiding the average person in their daily lives and tasks, nice to have, though.

I may be weird, but I'm saving up to be eccentric!

Baldur
[ Display Name History ]

Baldur

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • RSN:Baldur
  • RSN2:Pony Wrath
I got an iPad2 on release date and I have loved it ever since. I got it mostly for games and for writing stuff. I got a Bluetooth keyboard case for it and I never regretted it. I did not and will not upgrade to the "new" iPad for a single reason; I plan on buying a laptop.
I might be getting a Macbook Air in the future and I do no see the point in having a tablet and an MCA at the same time.

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts
  • RSN:Minerguy281
Also tablets are good for the elderly. My granny has an ipad because a pc or laptop is too complicated for her while an iipad is nice and simple to use
Posted Image

Sam
[ Display Name History ]

Sam

we are the music makers

• Members
  • 9,508 posts
iPad's look pretty nice. That said, just one of plenty nicely designed tablets available.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users