Your alltime favourite book characters?

Syd

This subject - or question - has puzzled me for a good while now. I'm personally a huge fan of books and reading, and after reading so many books - good and bad - it's inevitable not to get fond of some characters more than others. Do you have some favourite characters who were some way inspiring, touching, easy to find ways to relate to or simply just so very likeable?

If I had to list my favourite characters, my list would be something like this. I also added some of my favourite quotes.

1. Holden Caulfield (Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger)

- There's really no another like Holden - especially for a growing teenager with million of questions in his mind, and million things to be interested in. It's been a fairly long time since I read Catcher in the Rye, but I don't really think there ever was another character or protagonist in a book, that would've been as easy to relate to as Holden Caulfield. His sharp tongue, life wisdom and attitude towards life and other people in general just lead me to want to pick up the book again and again.

Sensitive. That killed me. That guy Morrow was about as sensitive as a toilet seat.

2. Lisbeth Salander (Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson)

- Lisbeth Salander is completely unique and diverse characther. Her personality had so many levels it really made her believable and realistic. Not only was she realistic, but also extremely interesting and well, different. Different from pretty much any protagonist in any book I've ever read. Definitely one of my favourites. Despite the fact that Rooney Mara actually did pretty good job portraying Lisbeth in the 2011 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movie, I still prefer Noomi Rapaces version in the swedish movie Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (Men who hate women). Even if you're not a book fan, the movies actually managed to do pretty good job this time.

If you touch me I'll more than alarm you.

3. Winston Smith (1984 by George Orwell)

- I don't think there's a book that lead me into more metaphysical thinking of life, society and university in general than George Orwell's masterpiece 1984. Winston Smith is a depressed, institutionalized characther who works for the Big Brother. His route from deep states of depression and giving up to bursts of happiness, passion and will to live in a very constricted and dangerous environment is something you really can't explain without having read the book first.

Look, I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

4. Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien)

- I don't know if there's a book that has effected me and my passion to reading more than The Lord of the Rings. I simply have to say that it's the best book I've ever read. There are dozens of characters I really like, but if I have to pick the one that I like the most, it has to be Gandalf. Even though he at many points portrays as the goodness and knowledge himself - a person who knows everything or wouldn't ever do anything wrong - underneath there is a whole level of diverse aspects that lead your imagination to fill up his fictive head. I also can't really think of a character, a fictive one created from a thought of the writer, I could imagine as live and well better than Gandalf. It's like hard to figure that he and his personality after all is just a fictive result of a writer, something that never existed before J.R.R. Tolkien brought it to life. I could really say the same thing about the whole Middle Earth. It's awe inspiring how versatile the whole world is, especially after the amazing film adaptation by Peter Jackson and the crew. My favourite book - my favourite movie. That should say something.

The board is set... the pieces are moving

5. Tyrion Lannister (The Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin)

- Best character from amazing book series. If you don't like reading, watch Game of Thrones. Peter Dinklage (even if he is a bit too charming and goodlooking for Imp) does wonderful job portraying Tyrion. As clever and witty as ever.

A mind needs books like a sword needs whetstone.

I would write more but it's already 2 at night here, so I have to get some sleep. There are dozen characters I would like to list, so maybe I'll continue in the future.

Also do note that English is not my first language, and if there are funny or embarassing use of words, please don't die laughing. ;)

u5zhkTY.gif

Lyra Belacqua from The Golden Compass. She's quite young but also so incredibly driven, smart, passionate, etc.

Maybe I'll think of more later :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

In no particular order:

Rue - The Hunger Games

[hide=spoiler] I cried a bit when she died. Even though she wasn't a main character, her death was the saddest for me in the entire series. After the bit where Katniss/Peeta visit her district I liked her even more because of her family/the rest of her district.

[/hide]

Teresa Agnes - The Maze Runner Trilogy

[hide=spoiler] I nearly cried when she died at the end of the series. For me she was one of the nicest and purest characters whose actions were misinterpreted by the others. She kind-of saved everyone's life but was still seen as the traitor. [/hide]

Alice Cullen - The Twilight Series

I'm not a huge fan on the series, but the bits and pieces that she appeared in were more readable for me than any other part. She's probably the only character in the entire series that I truly liked.

Fred and George Weasley - The Harry Potter Series

[hide=spoiler] Also nearly cried when Fred died. They were some of the funniest and most likable characters in the series for me. [/hide]

Catcher - The Forest of Hands and Teeth series

I liked him. Don't have too much to say other than I felt sorry for him most of the time.

Julia - 1984

Not much to say about her either other than that I liked her.

I don't think I've ever read a book where the narrator or the main character was my favourite character; I just realized that.

1. Holden Caulfield (Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger)

- There's really no another like Holden - especially for a growing teenager with million of questions in his mind, and million things to be interested in. It's been a fairly long time since I read Catcher in the Rye, but I don't really think there ever was another character or protagonist in a book, that would've been as easy to relate to as Holden Caulfield. His sharp tongue, life wisdom and attitude towards life and other people in general just lead me to want to pick up the book again and again.

Sensitive. That killed me. That guy Morrow was about as sensitive as a toilet seat.

4. Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien)

- I don't know if there's a book that has effected me and my passion to reading more than The Lord of the Rings. I simply have to say that it's the best book I've ever read. There are dozens of characters I really like, but if I have to pick the one that I like the most, it has to be Gandalf. Even though he at many points portrays as the goodness and knowledge himself - a person who knows everything or wouldn't ever do anything wrong - underneath there is a whole level of diverse aspects that lead your imagination to fill up his fictive head. I also can't really think of a character, a fictive one created from a thought of the writer, I could imagine as live and well better than Gandalf. It's like hard to figure that he and his personality after all is just a fictive result of a writer, something that never existed before J.R.R. Tolkien brought it to life. I could really say the same thing about the whole Middle Earth. It's awe inspiring how versatile the whole world is, especially after the amazing film adaptation by Peter Jackson and the crew. My favourite book - my favourite movie. That should say something.

The board is set... the pieces are moving

I just wish there was more said about her life before the Hunger Games. It seems like it'd make a decent story, and I'd love to learn more about her.

I have to agree with OP's choice on Salander. I'm reading the third book now (almost done, sadly) and it's been an amazing journey all the way through. Blomkvist was written very well to, I think he deserves some mention here.

Bionic Yoshi.png

99 cooking: 10/24/10

I have to agree with OP's choice on Salander. I'm reading the third book now (almost done, sadly) and it's been an amazing journey all the way through. Blomkvist was written very well to, I think he deserves some mention here.

Yes I very much agree. To be honest I also really liked Armanski, Blomkvist, Palmgren... Heck, I even enjoyed the way Larsson portrayed all the antagonists, even if they really managed to leave feeling of disgust with their actions. I don't think Larssons way of creating belieavable, diverse and different characters can be praised enough. Still, I can't say I liked some character more than Lisbeth, she was simply too awesome.

Fred and George Weasley - The Harry Potter Series

[hide=spoiler] Also nearly cried when Fred died. They were some of the funniest and most likable characters in the series for me. [/hide]

Ah yes, what is a book discussion without Harry Potter in it? ;) It was the series I, like many others, really grew up with, and which definitely was one of the first books (series) to plant the seed for my passion for reading. There definitely is no book that I've read as often as all the Harry Potter ones, and not many books that I liked as much. And yes, I very much agree with the previous poster, Fred and George were two of the best characters in the series. Always funny, lighthearted yet (especially in the later books) eventually gained alot more depth in their essence. Other characters I really liked; Dumbledore, Hagrid, Snape, Sirius, whole Weasley family, Alastor Moody... List goes on.

u5zhkTY.gif

After thinking for a while, I realised there have been many more characters I really liked that I forgot to mention last night. So I might just continue the list then:

6. Meursault (The Stranger by Albert Camus)

- The book that has been praised even as the best fictional book ever written, and in my opinion really deserves all the credits. Meursault is a perfect example of character who might not show much, but actually opens a huge canvas of thoughts behind his what might seem meaningless or even cruel appearance. A philosophical masterpiece about human nature or even the meaning(less?) of life as whole. It really took me a while to figure what was so good about The Stranger, after a very slow and what even seemed like a boring start, but after reading it really left me wondering for long time.

Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know. I got a telegram from the home: 'Mother deceased. Funeral tomorrow. Faithfully yours.' That doesn't mean anything. Maybe it was yesterday.

7. Ponyboy (The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton)

- Definitely goes into same category with Salingers Holden Caulfield. Easy to relate to, belieavable, fun and goes with a great story.

[Crying] I ain't cryin.

8. Stanley Yelnats (Holes by Louis Sachar)

- "The fat kid" from Louis Sachars rather new "cult book" is funny, yet very sympathetic character, who you can't wish anything else but success in life after all the hard time he goes through. His whole story is like an ode for all the unfair things one feels like going through when young - be it wrongful teacher, solitary, bullies or parents who don't understand.

[in the Court Room] Well, I've never been to camp before...

9. Robert Langdon (Dan Browns series)

- Definitely one of my favourite protagonists in an detective or thriller novels. Like a role perfectly made for Tom Hanks (who also happens to be a wonderful actor). Shame the movies (aside Hanks doing create performance) didn't really capture the feel of the books. They went so deep into detail it lead (me atleast) to check and certify the background of the story from as many links as possible. Robert Langdon himself is a clever, funny and extremely dedicated (to his interests) professor, who one could only hope to have in his University. Makes a perfect protagonist for a series based on so many myths, conspiracies and cult organisations.

I've got to get to a library... Fast!

10. Mat Cauthon (The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan)

- I have to say that besides being great, fun, hooking, yet rather typical fantasy series, the biggest problem in Wheel of Time (for me) always was the lack of depth in many characters. I never read more than first four books (so incase it changes later on), but I came into conclusion that the characters simply were either too good or too evil. I always enjoyed seeing more diverse characters with a less clear or obvious morales. However, that being said - I have to say that is the reason why I liked Mat Cauthon the most. Spoiler alert: Especially after getting bound with the cursed dagger. I liked how he went from in and out of his always funny and witty self to the selfish and dark, yet deep counterpart. For me, he was definitely the funniest character in the series. Whenever I have more free time, I've promised myself to pick WOT again and finish the storyline for a proper analysis. ;)

No wine for me. Strange enough things happen when my head is clear. I want to know the difference.

• Like 1

u5zhkTY.gif

10. Mat Cauthon (The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan)

- I have to say that besides being great, fun, hooking, yet rather typical fantasy series, the biggest problem in Wheel of Time (for me) always was the lack of depth in many characters. I never read more than first four books (so incase it changes later on), but I came into conclusion that the characters simply were either too good or too evil. I always enjoyed seeing more diverse characters with a less clear or obvious morales. However, that being said - I have to say that is the reason why I liked Mat Caultron the most. Spoiler alert: Especially after getting bound with the cursed dagger. I liked how he went from in and out of his always funny and witty self to the selfish and dark, yet deep counterpart. For me, he was definitely the funniest character in the series. Whenever I have more free time, I've promised myself to pick WOT again and finish the storyline for a proper analysis. ;)

No wine for me. Strange enough things happen when my head is clear. I want to know the difference.

You should read on. True, Jordan doesn't create the most diverse characters like e.g. martin , and you can usually categorize them into good/evil, but they go through a lot of development that adds at least a bit more depth. (Bit of a spoiler: Especially Rand changes a LOT, the whole range from being your likeable fantasy hero to an annoying douche). And, to be fair, that's a lot more than you'll find in most other fantasy books :P

I don't think I'll be able to pull quotes but...

1.Perrin Aybara(Wheel of Time/Robert Jordan)

Meh, it may be a bit stereotypical, but I just like those kind of characters that try not to stand out while at the same time being a great leader and helper because of that. Perrin is the prime example of this.

2.Tyrion(Game of Thrones/ G.R.R Martion)

He just has to be on here. Extremely witty, likeable person that braves the world in spite of being cripple, with the right amount of having a sense of morale without it standing in its way when he needs to get things done in a rough world. Peter Dinklage does an excellent job in portraying him in the series btw :)

3.Binabik(Memory,Sorrow and Thorn/Tad Williams)

A wise man(or rather...damn I forgot what his people were called...), a great friend and a lot of courage again despite being at a disadvantage because of his height.

Oh and I have to agree with Lyra Belaqua :)

Edward Pierce (The Great Train Robbery)

...Has nothing to do with my love of the classy thief archetype. Honest :unsure:

It's really that book that got me in to that kind of character, though. Very fun to read/watch.

Jaime Lannister (A Song of Ice and Fire)

He becomes one of the few 'good' characters in the series after he gets away from Cersei, and the loss of his hand forces him to settle things without violence. Pretty big change for a man whose reputation was built almost entirely on being one of the most skilled warriors on the continent.

Will add more later.

Not in any particular order:

1. Locke Lamora (The Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch)

I really like this character. He's a good guy but also kind of a badass. Plus all the things he goes through to perfect his trade is awesome.

Here's a quote, but it's got some strong language in it:

I cut off his fingers to get him to talk, and when he'd confessed everything I wanted to hear, I had his [bleep]ing tongue cut out, and the stump cauterized."

Everyone in the room stared at him.

"I called him an [wagon], too," said Locke. "He didn't like that.

2. Nick Andros (The Stand by Stephen King)

I loved this guy. Especially with him being a deaf-mute in a post-apocalyptic world definitely made it interesting.

Don't really have a quote for him since he's a mute :P

3. Ayla (Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean M. Auel)

She is absolutely amazing <3: From losing her family in an earthquake to where she ends up in the last book. Such an epic adventure, she goes through everything and never gives up!

There's definitely more, but I won't list them all right now

• 3 weeks later...

I must agree with a large number of these:

Winston/Julia (1984)

Gandalf (LoTR)

Rue (Hunger Games)

Alice Cullen (Twilight)

Robert Langdon

But also add:

Sirius Black

Molly Weasley (molly vs bellatrix is the best in the whole series! :P)

Arthur Dent from HHGttG

Artemis Fowl

Scipio (The Thief Lord)

Alanna and Beka Cooper (Tamora Pierce series)

Probably a ton more I don't recall right now.

• 2 months later...

I love nearly all the characters from Harry Potter, Harry Potter is the only set of books where I love every character. They all have real feeling and show real emotion even though they are wizards lol. Yeah, I love Harry Potter. =P

6. Meursault (The Stranger by Albert Camus)

- The book that has been praised even as the best fictional book ever written, and in my opinion really deserves all the credits. Meursault is a perfect example of character who might not show much, but actually opens a huge canvas of thoughts behind his what might seem meaningless or even cruel appearance. A philosophical masterpiece about human nature or even the meaning(less?) of life as whole. It really took me a while to figure what was so good about The Stranger, after a very slow and what even seemed like a boring start, but after reading it really left me wondering for long time.

I have to agree with this one. I had to read The Stranger for school, and although I found it to be moving at a very slow pace at the start, the ideas running through his head, his indifference to his fiancee, his emotionless (yet emotional) actions all make a character that I respect due to the peculiarities of his personality. I know this sounds strange, but I feel like I am partially like him...

Buck (Call of the Wild by Jack London)

I still remember when I was seven and my parents bought this book, telling me that I will really like this (I was going through a stage where I watched Animal Planet a lot when it first came out). I couldn't stop myself from reading it. It is so childish having a loving animal as a main character, however the ruthlessness he had to endure and his feral personality made Buck stand out in my childhood.

Bernard Marx (Brave New World by Aldous Huxley)

Although I can see John being more likeable to some people, Bernard stood out to me because he was rebellious in a way, however he still bowed down to the social customs he hates. The fact that he feels inferior due to his height, but does not realize his other shortcomings also make me find him more likeable, as strange as it seems.

Man, I really love these sad characters, don't I :???: ?

22031_s.gif

• 6 months later...

Heh, where to start.

Asmodean from the Wheel of Time is one of my favourites (hence sig). He's so unashamedly selfish and amusing, and likeable despite being on the 'evil' side.

Mat Cauthon from those books is another favourite, Dovie'andi se tovya sagain is one of my favourite quotes of all time.

Mogget/Yrael from Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen. (I forgot that series's name, if it even has one)

Tom Bombadil from LoTR, damn you Jackson :(

The Hound and Tyrion Lannister from ASOIAF.

Sonea from the Black Magician Trilogy.

Lord Asriel from His Dark Materials (the idea of a human successfully standing up to a godlike figure). I was pretty young when I read those books, I remember reading the last one at night when we were on holiday and it made me sad for the rest of the holiday :(

Making this list made we want to reread some of those :)

Asmodean <3

Yes. A thousand times, yes. It's amazing how a relatively minor character from the first section of the first book can become so popular.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

For me, Tom Bombadil was probably the most annoying character in the whole LoTR trilogy. Don't really know why, but he just was. So in that sense I'm pretty happy that Jackson decided to leave him out of the movies. :D

u5zhkTY.gif

For me, Tom Bombadil was probably the most annoying character in the whole LoTR trilogy. Don't really know why, but he just was. So in that sense I'm pretty happy that Jackson decided to leave him out of the movies. :D

I agree. :P Just not my kind of character. I feel like he would have ruined the tone of the movies.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Eli from Let the Right one in by John Ajvide Lindqvist, by far...

Why? well...

Probably the most unpredictable character I've ever read about. I was SHOCKED when s/he told the tale of "her" conversion, like literally it wasn't until then that I understood "her" claims of "not being a girl", previously making me think s/he meant the fact that s/he's a vampire, but never actually considered that Eli was born a boy, castrated and then turned. Her incarnation in the swedish movie did proper justice aswell, my favorite character of all time.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...