Logdotzip

Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

I think it's been mentioned already but Jagex is taking the stance that the squeal is a "fun" piece of game content, content which you can opt to pay for or not. Their bottom line is you are paying for the content, not the "contents" of the content. Since it's apparently "fun" then that's what were paying for in their lies eyes - not the benefits (to us, ie. lucky items) of the content. It sounds silly just talking about it.

It would be as if you had to pay $20 for 30 barrows runs. (I know, not the best example.) You will always get something, such as racks or runes, with a chance for something better. You would be paying for the content (the barrows minigame) and the rewards of said minigame are an extra perk.

It's a bulls**t legitimization, since, for one, SoF is obviously not engaging in the least - to the extent that I couldn't even deem it game content because it sucks that bad. Which is why I can level with how everyone knows in their heart it is basically gambling no matter how Jagex or legislation choose to mince or twist their words. This is completely ignoring the buy-able xp and other points that could be raised. To reiterate many others: the gambling concept, or even the squeal itself doesn't bother me so much as the ultimate deluge of sleaze the current admins/shareholders have released on our game. It is OUR game. Without the society of the players Runescape is a pile of code and data with absolutely no value whatsoever. [/rant]

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

just because it can't be traded doesn't mean you aren't putting a dollar value on something, unless this thing is not equivalent to an ingame item, like cosmetic items, unless they happen to be too similar to other cosmetic items that are valuable

since they've developed the game not to be a microtransaction game for so long, it's open for many kinds of confusing debate

8f14270694.jpg

This is the way RunEscape ends: Not with a bang but a squeal.

Fix'd

You see, Jagex will claim the items won have no real world value and are therefore not a "prize" in accordance with law.

If the dutch have an anti-gambling law on the books written the same way this might not be a great loophole. However as of yet no UK courts have honored RS currency as having any implied value.

Anyways I wish Jagex would just get a cash shop and dump the squeal wheel

I would like to refer to the court case held in Holland which was judged by Supreme Court saying that stealing in Runescape is indeed a crime:

http://www.techspot.com/news/47285-dutch-supreme-court-stealing-runescape-gear-is-a-crime.html

Also illegal or not, there is a market mechanic that trades real life money for runescape items (gold buying). This makes Runescape items very very tangible.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

I would like to refer to the court case held in Holland which was judged by Supreme Court saying that stealing in Runescape is indeed a crime:

http://www.techspot.com/news/47285-dutch-supreme-court-stealing-runescape-gear-is-a-crime.html

Also illegal or not, there is a market mechanic that trades real life money for runescape items (gold buying). This makes Runescape items very very tangible.

What we consider to have a value and what courts consider to have a value are two different things though. And it might not be enough to just be able to say "these prizes have a value, therefore it's gambling" but it might be necessary to have specific values for each item so you can decide whether it would be a win or a loss.

Someone on the RSOF contacted the UK gambling comission about this and they said it was a game of chance, but the items do not count as money or money's worth as you can't sell them.

I'm fairly certain the same is the case for german laws (Though I am still waiting on an answer for this one)

The netherlands might indeed be the best bet here, seeing as that court already once put a value on virtual items, though I believe it was not specified.

The netherlands might indeed be the best bet here, seeing as that court already once put a value on virtual items, though I believe it was not specified.

It isn't in our law, but I can have a poke around to see if there's an organisation to contact that can clear that up.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Does Holland have an anti-gambling law written similarly to the UK's?

If someone can post/translate it if it exists that would be great

Does Holland have an anti-gambling law written similarly to the UK's?

If someone can post/translate it if it exists that would be great

I put that here

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Next people will be comparing spin-buyers to nazis, and we all know where that goes.

hzvjpwS.gif

40 pages till this got Godwin-ed, not bad :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Hah Godwin's law

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

Meh, more the communist analogy, you give all your money, the people higher up take every bit and you are left with crap. Seems more fitting for the SoF.

The comparison is still *way* out of hand though. A agree though that you shouldn't be buying spins, at least not if you think this is a bad update.

I wonder if that 16K thread with negative comments about SoF would have been deleted if it contained 16K positive comments.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Now bow down and get 'milked' for more cash by dem godlike hypocritz.

| 99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hit Points | 99 Prayer | 99 Magic | 99 Summoning | 99 Ranging |
| 99 Agility| 99 Woodcutting | 99 Construction | 99 Fletching | 99 Herblore | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Thieving |
| 99 Firemaking | 99 Crafting | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Cooking| 99 Smithing | 99 Construction | 99 Fishing |
| 99 Hunter | 99 Farming | 99 Slayer |  Divination 99 | 115+ Dungeoneering |

Total Level: 2590+
Max Cape - Owner

I wonder if that 16K thread with negative comments about SoF would have been deleted if it contained 16K positive comments.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Now bow down and get 'milked' for more cash by dem godlike hypocritz.

It's common practice for update threads to get unstickied when the next update arrives, the only exception I know are seasonal event as those usually remain stickied until the event is over.

You can blame Jagex for a lot of things, but that's not really one of them.

Theres no way with this update you can still believe they won't eventually 'legalize' RWT. It's over now.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

Has anyone read this article? Where Will Insight Venture Partners Take Runescape? http://wizzley.com/horing-jagex/

I can't take an article seriously that has a page of ads in the middle of the article.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Has anyone read this article? Where Will Insight Venture Partners Take Runescape? http://wizzley.com/horing-jagex/

I can't take an article seriously that has a page of ads in the middle of the article.

It's worth the read.

It's noteworthy that Mr. Horing personally called to apologize to Trevorghost for the way he was received. Apparently the company had been receiving death threats and were on edge when he showed up. However, this only goes to clear the air, not fix problems. The article also does a bit more digging than the recent Times article does in terms of figuring out who or what IVP is, and what they're capable of.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Next people will be comparing spin-buyers to nazis, and we all know where that goes.

Buying spins will only cause jagex to add more transactions to the game that will be destructive to the game. There is also that slippery slope Jagex can easily go down. Do you really want a runescape where it is perfectly okay to buy a 99 and full torva?

Buying spins literally supports the destruction of runescape.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

That's not a very accurate comparison and I wouldn't call it fair to judge someone as a bad person for buying spins.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]