Petition Against Insight Venture Partners

DaElf

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex is going to treat this like everything else the RS community has complained about. They'll keep ignoring us until we forget why we're mad, or they'll make something nice and shiny that'll also make us forget why we're mad.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

The best way to protest is simply to cancel your subscription and never buy a a single spin. In our capitalisitc society people listen to money, or the lack thereof. Petitions are nice, but there are probably a 99% chance that no one from jagex or the evil investment firms will even glance at this. (but for you enjoyment I shall sign it anyways).

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

The best way to protest is simply to cancel your subscription and never buy a a single spin. In our capitalisitc society people listen to money, or the lack thereof. Petitions are nice, but there are probably a 99% chance that no one from jagex or the evil investment firms will even glance at this. (but for you enjoyment I shall sign it anyways).

uh

they've probably already garnered enough money to represent memberships for...well, everybody that quits

YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN REPLACED

YOUR REACTION NO LONGER MATTERS

"oh, hey, somebody quit. i would feel bad but the guy next to him just bought like two year's worth of subscription, but we didn't actually give it to him, so he's gonna keep on playing anyway and paying for it"

people just keep shoving me away and ignoring the importance of this whenever I bring it up

hell, investors probably don't even care if the game burns out unfulfilled

basically, they just liquidated the game, and they've got their money, and they have it NOW (the paramount concern to avarice is massive short term gains), rather than having to pay for upkeep for several more years and dragging everything out and incurring overhead

as far as they're concerned this shit was a SLAM DUNK for capitalism

8f14270694.jpg

Hullo! :) Good to see you posting on tif, especially for something like this! :D Signed it with a fake name, but I support :) I'll post it on my clan forums too and hopefully that'll give it a boost! I really do hope something is done about this, if we don't get the message across now then we won't stand a chance when they introduce future, even more game-breaking micro-transactions.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

they've probably already garnered enough money to represent memberships for...well, everybody that quits

Pretty much this. World of Warcraft in the past couple of years has seen a drop of around two million subscribers (from 12 to 10.3 million in Nov. 2011, but Blizzard has since said that The Old Republic also damaged their numbers), but the folks at Blizzard aren't exactly scared. Thanks to sales from their cash shop, the game's revenue stream is even higher than it was with the subscribers.

I have little doubt we will see a major increase in revenue on Jagex's next financial statement.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Regarding the fact that this will bring in more income for Jagex/IVP than those of us cancelling memberships: Yes, that's absolutely right, and I completely agree that IVP are just liquidating the company (they even said that they focus exclusively on that on their Wiki/FB page until a few days ago!). That's all the more reason to sign petitions and take action like this that are separate from simply cancelling your membership! If you just do that, you'll just be ignored. We need to speak out and make our voices loud and clear that THIS HAS TO STOP.

There was an episode of House MD where Cuddy goes to the CEO of an insurance company trying to screw the Hospital out of money and threatens to hold a press conference showing how corrupt he is. His response was perfect:

"You can make me out to be a rich villain as much as you want, so long as I stay rich."

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I went ahead and signed it. any action will produce more results than inaction.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

You're confusing a company with a government. The owners of Jagex aren't elected, why on earth would they care about petitions and protests? As long this update remains profitable, it will not go away. So if you wanna change something, think of way to make it less profitable. Instead of a petition, why don't you try organising a mass unsubscription or something, which (if it works) might actually have a chance.

2qcigdz.png

Pretty much this. World of Warcraft in the past couple of years has seen a drop of around two million subscribers (from 12 to 10.3 million in Nov. 2011, but Blizzard has since said that The Old Republic also damaged their numbers), but the folks at Blizzard aren't exactly scared. Thanks to sales from their cash shop, the game's revenue stream is even higher than it was with the subscribers.

I have little doubt we will see a major increase in revenue on Jagex's next financial statement.

To be fair, the drop was at the end of the expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2m or even more come back in MoP. Especially if SWTOR starts to die.

But when I read that IJ liquidates, uhoh.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Firstly, stock doesn't work that way @above. A 51% shareholder isn't a demigod who has absolute control over a company, because there're laws in place to prevent that. Also, most movements in a company take something akin to a 66% majority. Also, if a 51% abuses the company for personal profit they will likely get their pants sued off of them.

However, assuming that this update doesn't break any alws then there is literally nothing we can do as players to stop it. Jagex WILL get a boost in income from this because a lot of our player base is shrot-sighted and young. Hell, a lot of Tip.iters have said in one rbeath that they hate this update, and in the enxt that they bought some tickets. By buying tickets you are legitimizing the update.

Sadly, the only real option is "If you don't like it don't play." Except this time it isn't an insult directed at whiners who despise some small change to the game. This time it's a way to abandon a sinking ship and move on.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Oh and btw don't be sure too believe that IVP is "only focusing on liquidation and dismantling businesses". I've read differently on summaries on this company, and just think about it for a moment - if IVP was known for only doing that, wouldn't an investment by them be equal to put out a big red flashing sign with "We're probably going to close our company next year"? This would chase away other investors for sure and generally is not something any company would do unless it's their last option...

^That bit on the wiki page is considered vandalism and has been repeatedly attempted to put in since the april 2nd Steal of Fortune update...

Don't expect a company that intents on making money off of the demise of Jagex to advertise it...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Firstly, stock doesn't work that way @above. A 51% shareholder isn't a demigod who has absolute control over a company, because there're laws in place to prevent that. Also, most movements in a company take something akin to a 66% majority. Also, if a 51% abuses the company for personal profit they will likely get their pants sued off of them.

People have seen too many movies where the corporate billionaire buys up the majority shares and is about to destroy the company so the protagonists have to collect X-million in two weeks by midnight so they can buy him out.

836_D_09896_R.jpg

Maniacal laugh. Maniacal laugh.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The only real way I see this resolving in the best manner possible is if control of the company is somehow transferred to a party with the player's actual interests in mind BEFORE everything is undone.

And I think the only way that could ever be possible, if only for a brief moment before oblivion consumes this thing whole like the space whale consumes star squids, is if there was a Kickstarter to...buy control of the company (because the best way to ruin a company is to give control of it to an unorganized, selfish group).

Not that it would even be remotely possible due to the current level of interest in the game, plus Runescape's given value on paper at the moment.

People have seen too many movies where the corporate billionaire buys up the majority shares and is about to destroy the company so the protagonists have to collect X-million in two weeks by midnight so they can buy him out.

836_D_09896_R.jpg

Maniacal laugh. Maniacal laugh.

YES, THIS EXACT [bleep]ING SITUATION, EXCEPT THEY ALREADY HAVE THE MONEY SO THEY AREN'T GOING TO LOSE ANYWAY

Plus, nobody actually [bleep]ing listens to me anyway, because I'm belligerent and crazy and lose focus on my talking points before I resolve them.

You're confusing a company with a government. The owners of Jagex aren't elected, why on earth would they care about petitions and protests? As long this update remains profitable, it will not go away. So if you wanna change something, think of way to make it less profitable. Instead of a petition, why don't you try organising a mass unsubscription or something, which (if it works) might actually have a chance.

Even if we all unsubscribed right now, they already have the money, they're not gonna give it back, and they'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Played the community like a bunch of cheap hookers.

The best thing you can do right now (besides the highly unprobable thing I mentioned above) would be to mudsling this company so hard that they won't be able to do business with things we care about.

8f14270694.jpg

Oh no, it's not the best way (in the sense of destroying things). See, if it were held by the players, this whole thing would burn down in a month unassisted, and we wouldn't have any money afterwards, the way they're doing it, they're going to make this thing die right after they've squeezed the last drop out of it, so their wallets are fatter, and technically somebody has won here, even though it's not the outcome YOU would want.

i'm being pragmatic here

also i guess i have a crush on diabolical plans

8f14270694.jpg

uh

YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN REPLACED

YOUR REACTION NO LONGER MATTERS

"oh, hey, somebody quit. i would feel bad but the guy next to him just bought like two year's worth of subscription, but we didn't actually give it to him, so he's gonna keep on playing anyway and paying for it"

people just keep shoving me away and ignoring the importance of this whenever I bring it up

hell, investors probably don't even care if the game burns out unfulfilled

basically, they just liquidated the game, and they've got their money, and they have it NOW (the paramount concern to avarice is massive short term gains), rather than having to pay for upkeep for several more years and dragging everything out and incurring overhead

as far as they're concerned this shit was a SLAM DUNK for capitalism

I'm not convinced that if just every subscriber (or at least a majority) cancels, jagex would still pull even from the spins. The problem, of course, is not enough players reacting to this and just decide to 'live with it". They continue to suffer under the pretense that this is still the same game they have played for xxx long when it has fundamentally changed and continue fund the corrupt jagex.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg