Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Benefits of D.I.Y.?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
I'm largely DIY on my main, which has 2338 total at the moment. Apart from the adamant bars for 99 smithing, there are few things I've bought. My armour (the classical whip, bandos, neitiznot helmet, dfs,...) are gathered by myself, I slay without familiars or potions (which changed a little now, I use a pack yak for dragon bones and infernal ashes and so on, and of course prayer potions and antifire potions for deflecting high damages, but I don't use super/extreme/overloads).
I don't know why I play like this, but I enjoy it, I don't care about the exp I get per hour. I largely play the same way as I used to play 8 years ago, call me old fashioned, but I like how things go now, which is why I'm slightly annoyed when Jagex suddenly reworks certain parts of the game.

Boris5000
[ Display Name History ]

Boris5000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,954 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Volothamp
  • RSN2:Boris I
There aren't any real benefits to DIYing, but you have a huge E-Penis when you do it right.
Luck be a Lady

Ren
[ Display Name History ]

Ren

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Trollenstein
  • RSN2:Grave Sorrow
  • Clan:DGS

While looking at guides for various things, and talking to some players, I hear a lot about D.I.Y. in Runescape. For instance, players making their own rune armor or gathering there own 2nd ingredients for Herblore. I never understood this because the way I look at it, gathering your own 2nd ingredients can maybe net you 200-400k per hour profit if you sold them, whereas there are many ways to make 3x, 4x even 5x and more that amount by doing various other things..

So what are the benefits of "doing it yourself?" Besides the bs about "the joy of accomplishing it on your own or whatever" because making the money and buying the supplies and still having 600k seems like a much better "accomplishment" to me..

There's benefits to making your own stuff and gathering your own stuff, like what you said. Your % profit per will go up, your feeling of 'achievement' will go up. It is not necessarily the best way to go about playing, since you can do things for quicker cash and spend the extra money on getting it done faster. Same goes for xp rates.

For full DIY (no trading except quest-required things like Heroes/Shield of Arrav or NPC's), you can benefit by not worrying about the price of x items going down or up (that's my main benefit if I were to go full DIY), a different style of gameplay, more 'achievements' so to speak, larger challenges. There are negatives like effort and time spent, but the overall objective of a "Game" is to have fun. Just do as you please.

I'm largely DIY on my main, which has 2338 total at the moment. Apart from the adamant bars for 99 smithing, there are few things I've bought. My armour (the classical whip, bandos, neitiznot helmet, dfs,...) are gathered by myself, I slay without familiars or potions (which changed a little now, I use a pack yak for dragon bones and infernal ashes and so on, and of course prayer potions and antifire potions for deflecting high damages, but I don't use super/extreme/overloads).
I don't know why I play like this, but I enjoy it, I don't care about the exp I get per hour. I largely play the same way as I used to play 8 years ago, call me old fashioned, but I like how things go now, which is why I'm slightly annoyed when Jagex suddenly reworks certain parts of the game.

After posting my first bit I remembered something that relates to this post. 8 years ago or so, when I first played RuneScape, I had been basically all DIY. I had bought a nice amt of items that were hard to find like Rune Battleaxe or the kiteshield, but up until I was a member, I got everything on my own from shops and the like. I can say with a nice amount of confidence that I was a happier scaper back before I did trading a lot or became member even.

553VriC.png?1

Fat_Slug
[ Display Name History ]

Fat_Slug

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,337 posts
  • RSN:Fat_Slug
  • RSN2:Funky_Santa
For me it depends on what I am doing.
Sometimes when you try and but the things you want on GE you find no one is selling. Then I have no choice but to get it myself (summer pies for me atm are not selling, so I had to make my own yesterday)

I find it self satisfying knowing I did it myself. I play for fun and diy is fun for me. I care about xp gains at times, but 95% its fun driven for the game.
When it stops being fun, then there is no point in playing. If you find that buying the stuff you want is what floats yr boat that fine with me. Its a personal choice- and after all thats one of the things that makes us human, not copying everyone else, and being unique.

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

The Marquis
[ Display Name History ]

The Marquis

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • RSN:Dark Marquis
  • Clan:HYT
I could be described as semi-DIY as well... All those little things like, making dyes at Aggie in Draynor or making my own equipment for achievment diaries or quests, making my own potions (I just unlocked super str). This also helps to break the monotony when I'm grinding :) So you could say I'm kind of DIY. But still I'm like an average player, buying the fighting equipment from GE, buying logs for fletching from GE.

In the end it's up to everyone else to decide their gamestyle.

rsp
[ Display Name History ]

rsp

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 156 posts

Besides the bs about "the joy of accomplishing it on your own or whatever"

Looks like you are making a statement instead of asking a question.

Nothing to see here folks, please move along...

deyan2
[ Display Name History ]

deyan2

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 465 posts
It's called fun indeed, if you work 2 days at a shop you got 200 euros, if you spent them on the SOF you got about... I don't know, 8M xp (where from 4M in slow to train skills)?
This is probably a lot more effective as actually playing, now what are you goïng to do, playing or working at the shop?

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

It's called fun indeed, if you work 2 days at a shop you got 200 euros, if you spent them on the SOF you got about... I don't know, 8M xp (where from 4M in slow to train skills)?
This is probably a lot more effective as actually playing, now what are you goïng to do, playing or working at the shop?

How about working there and using the money for something, idk, actually worth paying for? >.>
What's the point in spending loads of money on a few virtual levels, especially since that levelling will not give you the normal sense of achievement?

ssamriga
[ Display Name History ]

ssamriga

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 235 posts
It's either you play to get max efficiency or you "just play".
Sometimes I look at my stats that I've got in 9 years and then at stats of people who play only for a few years and I understand how inefficiently I am training, but it's ok, it's fun...
Playing since February 2003
Posted Image

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts
I don't know who I should be replying to anymore.

My point was that in many cases, if you're searching for efficiency in order to "skip" or "fast-forward" part of a game (best example: botting, AFK playing), you're missing whatever point there is to the game. The difference between work and play (as I meant them, at least) is that the first activity is a means to an end (stat, item), one which is not enjoyable, and therefore one we would like to shorten, whereas the latter is an end in and of itself.

This doesn't mean anyone who is training efficiently is working. It means anyone who's not enjoying his training is working. That doesn't make it bad either; some work is necessary in order to PK, for example, and if PKing is the only thing you enjoy in the game, then you'll have to work to get to it. If when your goal is reached, however, you don't take pleasure in what you got, something's wrong. Efficiency is fine, but systematic efficiency is odd to say the least. It's like trying to listen to sped-up music to save time.

I wrote this because as a non-player, the amount of threads I see in the forum index asking for the most efficient way to do X and the logic behind the OP baffle me. What are you playing Runescape for? Is it the road towards the achievement which entertains you, or the achievement itself? Both?
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?
Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?
Camera guy: still laughing
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Camera guy: runs away still laughing
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down
Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!
Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

I wrote this because as a non-player, the amount of threads I see in the forum index asking for the most efficient way to do X and the logic behind the OP baffle me. What are you playing Runescape for? Is it the road towards the achievement which entertains you, or the achievement itself? Both?

For one, I find it fun to first hear about new / faster methods of training, investigate it myself, and then realise that I myself am capable of training a skill in this "more efficient" method. Don't you get a kick out of trying out a new recipe, and then discovering that not only do you enjoy it, but you also get much better results than you expected?

Let's be honest, the journey (grind) to a desired skill level is usually long or tedious, and trying out faster methods does give you some sort of kick.

Botting an account is an entirely different issue, on the other hand.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

For one, I find it fun to first hear about new / faster methods of training, investigate it myself, and then realise that I myself am capable of training a skill in this "more efficient" method. Don't you get a kick out of trying out a new recipe, and then discovering that not only do you enjoy it, but you also get much better results than you expected?

Let's be honest, the journey (grind) to a desired skill level is usually long or tedious, and trying out faster methods does give you some sort of kick.

My question was directed to Dangarous. Training efficiently so you can save money which you will then spend on further training makes little sense to me.
Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can
Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy
Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin
Why wouldn't you save money? Regardless of what you spend it on. After all, there's no need to craft onyx bracelets when you can make amulets, right?
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts
It's more fun to do things yourself than to do things efficiently sometimes.

(Yes, I know that fun and efficiency aren't mutually exclusive. But the most efficient method isn't always the most fun).

I only "resort" to the most efficient method if all other methods are tedious/boring. Pretty much like Omar said-- when a game's community has become so obsessed with efficiency over everything else, it sort of implies that the game itself isn't very fun.

I agree with what you're saying, but like you said yourself-- getting from point A to point B in RuneScape isn't a fun journey like in other video games. It's a grind.

When I think of this upcoming update to runecrafting, for example, I don't give a shit about how awesome the XP rates are or what the rewards are-- if it's gonna be like Livid Farm or Mobilising Armies or any of those other shitty minigames, I'm gonna avoid it like the plague because it's a huge waste of my time.

A lot of people think their hard work will "pay off" once they achieve their goal after all the grinding... but a lot of the time the reward isn't worth the amount of work they had to put in to get it.

77yLQy8.png

Omar
[ Display Name History ]

Omar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

Why wouldn't you save money? Regardless of what you spend it on. After all, there's no need to craft onyx bracelets when you can make amulets, right?

If crafting onyx bracelets was significantly more enjoyable than making amulets, there could be.

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
Seeing as how they are identical from a game play perspective (besides obviously minor changes like locations to click on screen to perform crafting, and the level required to make them.)

I agree that sometimes the grind can be annoying, although it is part and parcel of this game. I happen to enjoy many things like Livid Farm :) Sure, I wasn't super excited to complete the entire minigame, but I did find it enjoyable.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

mikeg0477
[ Display Name History ]

mikeg0477

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • RSN:Boston Tours
  • Clan:Bassmasters
It's just the way I enjoy playing the game. There's nothing more to it.

Thus
[ Display Name History ]

Thus

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
I find that most people who do DIY cannot afford the most efficient ways. However, I can easily make more money in the time it would take to do it myself, so I don't.

NastyJenny
[ Display Name History ]

NastyJenny

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 165 posts
Thus a DIY account will of course be poor in cash, the only reliable sources of coins if you exclude trading being selling to shops (poor), diaries (lol), SOF (lol), monster drops (hehehe) and alching (ouch). The DIY still has to open wallet for construction and summoning.

Making money is a huge grind too. And a grind that makes no sense at all.
Medium level player goes to dragons for money, sells crafting and prayer xp to afford gear. This is understandable still. But that player will also need crafting and prayer xp eventually too...
Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

Thus a DIY account will of course be poor in cash, the only reliable sources of coins if you exclude trading being selling to shops (poor), diaries (lol), SOF (lol), monster drops (hehehe) and alching (ouch). The DIY still has to open wallet for construction and summoning.

Making money is a huge grind too. And a grind that makes no sense at all.
Medium level player goes to dragons for money, sells crafting and prayer xp to afford gear. This is understandable still. But that player will also need crafting and prayer xp eventually too...

Alching probably. I'm pretty sure the best DIY money-maker is WC -> Fletching -> Alching.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users