The Benefits of D.I.Y.?

Dangarous3

Besides the bs about "the joy of accomplishing it on your own or whatever"

Looks like you are making a statement instead of asking a question.

Nothing to see here folks, please move along...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called fun indeed, if you work 2 days at a shop you got 200 euros, if you spent them on the SOF you got about... I don't know, 8M xp (where from 4M in slow to train skills)?

This is probably a lot more effective as actually playing, now what are you goïng to do, playing or working at the shop?

It's called fun indeed, if you work 2 days at a shop you got 200 euros, if you spent them on the SOF you got about... I don't know, 8M xp (where from 4M in slow to train skills)?

This is probably a lot more effective as actually playing, now what are you goïng to do, playing or working at the shop?

How about working there and using the money for something, idk, actually worth paying for? >.>

What's the point in spending loads of money on a few virtual levels, especially since that levelling will not give you the normal sense of achievement?

It's either you play to get max efficiency or you "just play".

Sometimes I look at my stats that I've got in 9 years and then at stats of people who play only for a few years and I understand how inefficiently I am training, but it's ok, it's fun...

Playing since February 2003

Ssamriga.png

I don't know who I should be replying to anymore.

My point was that in many cases, if you're searching for efficiency in order to "skip" or "fast-forward" part of a game (best example: botting, AFK playing), you're missing whatever point there is to the game. The difference between work and play (as I meant them, at least) is that the first activity is a means to an end (stat, item), one which is not enjoyable, and therefore one we would like to shorten, whereas the latter is an end in and of itself.

This doesn't mean anyone who is training efficiently is working. It means anyone who's not enjoying his training is working. That doesn't make it bad either; some work is necessary in order to PK, for example, and if PKing is the only thing you enjoy in the game, then you'll have to work to get to it. If when your goal is reached, however, you don't take pleasure in what you got, something's wrong. Efficiency is fine, but systematic efficiency is odd to say the least. It's like trying to listen to sped-up music to save time.

I wrote this because as a non-player, the amount of threads I see in the forum index asking for the most efficient way to do X and the logic behind the OP baffle me. What are you playing Runescape for? Is it the road towards the achievement which entertains you, or the achievement itself? Both?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I wrote this because as a non-player, the amount of threads I see in the forum index asking for the most efficient way to do X and the logic behind the OP baffle me. What are you playing Runescape for? Is it the road towards the achievement which entertains you, or the achievement itself? Both?

For one, I find it fun to first hear about new / faster methods of training, investigate it myself, and then realise that I myself am capable of training a skill in this "more efficient" method. Don't you get a kick out of trying out a new recipe, and then discovering that not only do you enjoy it, but you also get much better results than you expected?

Let's be honest, the journey (grind) to a desired skill level is usually long or tedious, and trying out faster methods does give you some sort of kick.

Botting an account is an entirely different issue, on the other hand.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

For one, I find it fun to first hear about new / faster methods of training, investigate it myself, and then realise that I myself am capable of training a skill in this "more efficient" method. Don't you get a kick out of trying out a new recipe, and then discovering that not only do you enjoy it, but you also get much better results than you expected?

Let's be honest, the journey (grind) to a desired skill level is usually long or tedious, and trying out faster methods does give you some sort of kick.

My question was directed to Dangarous. Training efficiently so you can save money which you will then spend on further training makes little sense to me.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Why wouldn't you save money? Regardless of what you spend it on. After all, there's no need to craft onyx bracelets when you can make amulets, right?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It's more fun to do things yourself than to do things efficiently sometimes.

(Yes, I know that fun and efficiency aren't mutually exclusive. But the most efficient method isn't always the most fun).

I only "resort" to the most efficient method if all other methods are tedious/boring. Pretty much like Omar said-- when a game's community has become so obsessed with efficiency over everything else, it sort of implies that the game itself isn't very fun.

I agree with what you're saying, but like you said yourself-- getting from point A to point B in RuneScape isn't a fun journey like in other video games. It's a grind.

When I think of this upcoming update to runecrafting, for example, I don't give a shit about how awesome the XP rates are or what the rewards are-- if it's gonna be like Livid Farm or Mobilising Armies or any of those other shitty minigames, I'm gonna avoid it like the plague because it's a huge waste of my time.

A lot of people think their hard work will "pay off" once they achieve their goal after all the grinding... but a lot of the time the reward isn't worth the amount of work they had to put in to get it.

77yLQy8.png

Why wouldn't you save money? Regardless of what you spend it on. After all, there's no need to craft onyx bracelets when you can make amulets, right?

If crafting onyx bracelets was significantly more enjoyable than making amulets, there could be.

Seeing as how they are identical from a game play perspective (besides obviously minor changes like locations to click on screen to perform crafting, and the level required to make them.)

I agree that sometimes the grind can be annoying, although it is part and parcel of this game. I happen to enjoy many things like Livid Farm :) Sure, I wasn't super excited to complete the entire minigame, but I did find it enjoyable.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I find that most people who do DIY cannot afford the most efficient ways. However, I can easily make more money in the time it would take to do it myself, so I don't.

Thus a DIY account will of course be poor in cash, the only reliable sources of coins if you exclude trading being selling to shops (poor), diaries (lol), SOF (lol), monster drops (hehehe) and alching (ouch). The DIY still has to open wallet for construction and summoning.

Making money is a huge grind too. And a grind that makes no sense at all.

Medium level player goes to dragons for money, sells crafting and prayer xp to afford gear. This is understandable still. But that player will also need crafting and prayer xp eventually too...

nasty_jenny.png

Thus a DIY account will of course be poor in cash, the only reliable sources of coins if you exclude trading being selling to shops (poor), diaries (lol), SOF (lol), monster drops (hehehe) and alching (ouch). The DIY still has to open wallet for construction and summoning.

Making money is a huge grind too. And a grind that makes no sense at all.

Medium level player goes to dragons for money, sells crafting and prayer xp to afford gear. This is understandable still. But that player will also need crafting and prayer xp eventually too...

Alching probably. I'm pretty sure the best DIY money-maker is WC -> Fletching -> Alching.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

If crafting onyx bracelets was significantly more enjoyable than making amulets, there could be.

Certainly. However xp gained leads to enjoyment, hence amulets are more fun than bracelets and pines are more fun than ivy (ignoring the enjoyment of performing the actions, the reward is just nicer).

That is, I've never heard of someone who entirely disliked gaining woodcutting xp and for that reason did ivy instead of pines (for example). People simply don't train at that point.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

My point was that in many cases, if you're searching for efficiency in order to "skip" or "fast-forward" part of a game (best example: botting, AFK playing), you're missing whatever point there is to the game. The difference between work and play (as I meant them, at least) is that the first activity is a means to an end (stat, item), one which is not enjoyable, and therefore one we would like to shorten, whereas the latter is an end in and of itself.

This doesn't mean anyone who is training efficiently is working. It means anyone who's not enjoying his training is working. That doesn't make it bad either; some work is necessary in order to PK, for example, and if PKing is the only thing you enjoy in the game, then you'll have to work to get to it. If when your goal is reached, however, you don't take pleasure in what you got, something's wrong. Efficiency is fine, but systematic efficiency is odd to say the least. It's like trying to listen to sped-up music to save time.

I'm with you here.

It's the journey, as well as the goal that counts. If you dislike the grind of one skill, and grind bosses to grind less on that skill by buying it, you are still grinding any way. If you don't like grinding, stay away from RuneScape. It's just the way (most of) this game is.

That being said, I DIY'ed most of my skills, including herblore, FM and cooking. In later stages, I got more money from varyous skills, and decided to buy some levels. The fun fact is, that I do it whatever way I want. My e-penis is of no concern to me, and I could care less about anyone's bragging rights, including my own.

And so, my OT friend, this is the answer to your question: Playing the way I want (which involves some DIY), and not being the efficiency-afficionado some other players are (which is fine by me) makes the game fun for ME.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

I used to play much more like this when I played all the time and was lower leveled, still do to some extent. It also helps not being fussed about xp/h and that sort of thing as it is slower. RC, for example, I used to decide on what level I was going to get to (quest, tasks, significant/useful level) then I'd mine the essence myself for Mining xp, it's not masses at 5xp each but it's xp I'm not going to have to get later on. Same with Firemaking or Fletching, I'd cut the logs then use them up and sometimes even pick flax and string it or Fishing then Cooking the fish.

It was all around the idea that it's xp I don't have to grind for later on and mixed it up regularly.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

@End of last page: not trying to make an argument as I hardly understand how this game works anymore, but why would you need money if you don't trade?

@Quyneax: I'm not entirely sure gaining XP is that much fun; I've often found reaching a goal in RS was a bittersweet mix of "I did it!" and "Why did I do this?". That being said, I was a shit in everything. At any rate, it's hard to make a universal statement linking XP and fun.

Here's a post which illustrates the mindset I was speaking of earlier:

Just wondering, is playing BA and getting horn charges worth it for mining at my lvl? Or even just not a complete waste of time... I hate mining but I enjoy BA so I was wondering is it was a complete waste of time or not.

Thanks.

This question shouldn't really need to be asked, no?

@End of last page: not trying to make an argument as I hardly understand how this game works anymore, but why would you need money if you don't trade?

To buy items from NPC-owned shops.

More specifically, you need to buy spirit shards for summoning and to pay sawmill to turn logs into planks. That and you could also buy battlestaves and broad arrow heads, which can pretty much only be found by buying from shops if you are DIY; neither can be made.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

Gotcha, thanks.

Whether you like it or not, everyone is at this stage at some point in their character's life. Personally I do everything in my knowledge to make a profit or at least break even with each skill I train, as well as multitask to raise several at once. Fishing your own food and cooking it is an obvious one (especially if you still didn't max either yet) but there are other means to go with it such as making duelling rings (crafting and magic) with cosmic runes obtained from ZMI training (runecrafting) and gold mined (mining) and smelted (smithing); even when you purchase the emerald you still make a bit of a profit despite not being the surefire most efficient means to level outrageously fast.

Just two cents from a player that never really was "rich".

As semi-DIY, I don't have hard times with money, got a few B in cash, a nice bit coming from back in my hunting days (the joy of selling 20k red chinchompas at 3k ea, back when the skill was released). And slayer and stuff like vyre burning, clues and so one do give me a loaded moneypoach. :) But I know, real DIY is a lot harder, as you can't trade your stuff. :s

@Quyneax: I'm not entirely sure gaining XP is that much fun; I've often found reaching a goal in RS was a bittersweet mix of "I did it!" and "Why did I do this?". That being said, I was a shit in everything. At any rate, it's hard to make a universal statement linking XP and fun.

True, which is why people sometimes get lost after reaching max/comp cape/whatever :P. For some people RS really is about goals, always on to the next.

Everyone enjoys achieving something they feel is good (Captain Obvious here). Applied to RS it means that xp often translates to enjoyment, just as gp does, certain other items not convertible to gp (from currency like tokkul to hybrid items to red sandstone), and metagame achievements like 'the fastest Jad kill ever'. Not many RS players feel that xp is not a 'good' achievement (I think), so they would be willing to put in some effort to get more xp. The degree to which they are willing to do so varies per player and that's a big factor in mathematical efficiency and personal efficiency.

@ The question: there are lots of ways to use BA rewards & alternatives to actually mining for xp, so if BA + mining is an unlucky combo that's good to know (but it isn't).