2012 U.S. Elections - President Obama Re-elected

Range_This11

Presidential Election  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which Candidate Will You Vote For?

• Mitt Romney
    • Barack Obama
    • Other (For all you Ron Paulers)

I realized there hasn't been any significant discussion on the 2012 elections. I have been following the presidential campaigns almost religiously via various news websites over the year. I'm not sure who I plan to vote for yet, but it has been an entertaining primary season.

There are also a number of important state and congressional elections where we can get a better picture of how the nation feels about the 2010 elections. Will it be a season of throwing out the incumbents? Also, the Governor Walker Recall on June 5th in Wisconsin could possibly be indicative of how voters feel about newly elected GOP politicians--and one that is personally relevant since I grew up in Wisconsin.

Here are a few recent articles to perhaps get some conversation going:

Analysis: Obama leads in projected electoral vote totals

Democratic super PACs gain ground but still trail GOP in fundraising

Political Scientist: Republicans Most Conservative They've Been In 100 Years

The Draperizing of Mitt Romney

I typically get my news from POLITICO and NPR, so if anyone has other sources feel free to post them. I know the media does a great job spinning stories, it's always nice to get a fresh perspective.

Also, I'll put up a poll of Romney vs. Obama (I think we're all assuming it will be Romney).

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I am voting for Obama simply because the Republican Party is way too reactionary to be of any practicality. Their anti-immigration, pro-religion, and anti-tax are the three main conflicts I have with them.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Obama all the way, Romney's just riding the social-conservative wave right now that I despise even more than I disagree with fiscal-conservative policies.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I get to vote for the first time for this upcoming election, yay.

Yeah, I'll vote for Obama. I'm certainly not going to vote for Romney, and I don't feel wasting a vote on an obscure candidate that won't win. I don't think any "message" it sends to other parties is really worth it.

(not being American)

I'd vote Obama because of a lack of a decent alternative. I'd consider voting communist just to spite Republicans but chances are those guys are even creepier.

The race now is much nicer without Santorum, I wasn't too happy when he suggested we (the Dutch) murder old people in hospitals.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I don't want to pull this into too much of a tangent, but how would you guys propose to fix the political issues? One of the problems I see with applicants for posts like these is the fact that none of them are really suited for the job - we're just taking the lesser of the three evils.

(not being American)

I'd vote Obama because of a lack of a decent alternative. I'd consider voting communist just to spite Republicans but chances are those guys are even creepier.

The race now is much nicer without Santorum, I wasn't too happy when he suggested we (the Dutch) murder old people in hospitals.

me neither, but i just blame that on ignorance, Quy. I highly doubt he did any proper reading on the subject before shouting that

sebas379.png

[hide]

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing;

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews;

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores;

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[/hide]

Once again, there are no good candidates. There are some characteristics that I like in both Romney and Obama, but I couldn't disagree with them more on most issues. I think Obama and Romney agree on more issues than I agree with either of them individually. TBH, this Futurama sketch describes Obama vs. Romney perfectly:

4EDCS.png

My main concern is that if Obama wins this election and he screws up big somehow, Santorum would probably be elected president in 2016, which is a very scary thought. I think I'd rather have Romney for 4 or 8 years and maybe screw up to ensure there is no chance of Santorum becoming president. I hate the two party system and "strategic voting" so much <_<. I really like the instant-runoff voting system from the UK and wish we had that instead of this BS we have now.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

If I were American, I would likely vote for Obama, if only because, being European, I know the undeniable benefits of having a healthcare system like the one he is halfway through implementing (the American right can lie all it wants, but on healthcare it is certainly wrong) and because the republican party is rife with extreme right wingers such as the Tea Party, and as such any Republican President would have to do at least some pandering to the dangerous reactionaries. And to the Christian right. Oh, and Romney's record on employment in Mass. isn't too great either, so he's got no economic credentials really.

I don't want to pull this into too much of a tangent, but how would you guys propose to fix the political issues? One of the problems I see with applicants for posts like these is the fact that none of them are really suited for the job - we're just taking the lesser of the three evils.

That's quite a large tangent you've got there.

EDIT: In response to Ham's post: Yes, Parliamentary democracy is a far more flexible and sensible system than the Presidential system used in the Americas, France, Russia etc. There are myriad benefits to having a head of state who isn't also head of govt, as has been shown by the actions taken last Oct/Nov in Italy and Greece in response to crises. Going one step further, it's nice that the UK has a monarchy, because that way your head of state isn't some career politician, and rather a part of a traditional and cultural institution that's also good at taking action in a crisis.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Nobody likes Obama's "Free Healthcare Shit Trololololo" if they aren't freeloaders.

Except, you know, the millions of previously uninsured children that his health plan covers. Oh no, those damn freeloading 6 year-olds :rolleyes:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Obama is also going to steal your money in the form of taxes. I don't like any of the candidates, but I'm going to have to vote for the Republican nominee just because.

So are you saying that Mitt Romney is going to eliminate your taxes? I've got some bad news for you buddy....

Obama is also going to steal your money in the form of taxes. I don't like any of the candidates, but I'm going to have to vote for the Republican nominee just because.

So are you saying that Mitt Romney is going to eliminate your taxes? I've got some bad news for you buddy....

I never said anything about voting specifically for Mitt Romney.

They're not pro-fundamentalism, are they? Oh, and which taxes do they oppose?

They oppose taxing the rich, simply because they're rich themselves. What Americans have to realize, jobs aren't going to the immigrants they're being sent overseas by the corporations. Then we get told tax-breaking them will get our jobs back. :roll: They'd just get more money to send more jobs overseas.

Then we got the (universally hated) stupid "Obama's stealing our money by taxes". W Bush, Clinton, Bush, Regan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Truman, Roosevelt, Hoover, Coolidge, Harding, and Wilson ALL robbed your money via taxes. Not only that, but Lincoln, Washington, King George, Louis XVII, Augustus, and King Solomon did the same [bleep]ing thing. Stop complaining over it, it's not going away. And if you still hate it, then please, overthrow the government. I'd like to see that and I'm not saying that sarcastically. But if you can't do that, find another way or stop crying about it.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I don't think the question is so much 'is my taxes going back to me' than it is 'is my taxes that I'm paying fair, and does it go towards a good cause?' The problems we have right now is significant government waste - and religiously aligned political parties have a strange tendency to give to inefficient causes like the Churches.

EDIT - I'm a little undecided on my personal views for taxation, so I wouldn't comment.

I don't think the question is so much 'is my taxes going back to me' than it is 'is my taxes that I'm paying fair, and does it go towards a good cause?' The problems we have right now is significant government waste - and religiously aligned political parties have a strange tendency to give to inefficient causes like the Churches.

EDIT - I'm a little undecided on my personal views for taxation, so I wouldn't comment.

Then we got the stupid "taxes are going to waste". W Bush, Clinton, Bush, Regan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Truman, Roosevelt, Hoover, Coolidge, Harding, and Wilson ALL wasted the tax money on unessesary military growth, ineffiecent welfare, or private gain. Not only that, but Lincoln, Washington, King George, Louis XVII, Augustus, and King Solomon did the same [bleep]ing thing. Stop complaining over it, it's not going away. And if you still hate it, then please, overthrow the government. I'd like to see that and I'm not saying that sarcastically. But if you can't do that, find another way or stop crying about it.

siggy3s.jpg

I have registered republican and am voting for Ron Paul in Ca Primaries :mrgreen: ! I will not be voting in the general election.

if you want to change the world i don't think politics tends to give the most results per time or money. but, when you see a politician you really like - who you think is a good person - it is really hard not to support them. i want ron paul to win in the same way i've always wanted the good guys to win in the story books i've read. policy and everything else i couldn't care less about by comparison.