Bots Still Around

SHADOW STALKER

I know that they should at least go to one of the worlds that have very few people.

If they did that, then the worlds who have very few people would become the worlds who have the most players in them.

I've lost 11m off my Bandos Chestplate because of them.

How do bots affect the price of GWD drops?

They are the reason spectral shields are priced where they are instead of where they should be.

(see above)

I feel like the majority of people who hate bots are the ones who like being really inefficient.

Omg, they're not using the most efficient money making methods! Their arguments are totally invalid now!

(Also, y'know, caring about others and such.)

I don't understand how Runescape thinks if you lower the price of pretty much all the items... That will stop the bots but all it is doing is making them be around longer and make people made that items are loosing value.

RuneScape doesn't lower the prices of items. The players do.

2) Move to an entirely different server

And you know that isn't possible.

"This is weird, I fight monsters a lot in RuneScape, and have never experienced a problem with bots. But let me ask, how do you know they're bots and not just some people with chat off? "

When they're level 115+ in D legs and a Granite body, they're bots. I mean, there's the chance they're just high leveled players with awful armor taste, but i'm leaning towards the bots.

People like that are the ones I tend to believe are bots. Walking through Taverly Dungeon the other day and seeing 4-5 players with names which looked like they headbutted the keyboard wearing that setup with a combat level of 100+. Just doesn't make any logical sense.

Hahahahaa. Headbutted the keyboard! I couldn't stop laughing when I read this. Not only because it's funny, but because it's true. :lol:

it's so annoying because when i'm at green drags there are always 10 bots and the same a grotworms i always struggle to even get 1 kill. plus they are decreasing the price of all of the loots in the game. :@

HD.png

yes, my runescape name is HD.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few areas that bots are a menace.

Grand exchange spamming the same old.

Grotworms are rife with every single one beast. However, if you stand close to where the Grotworms respawn, I usually can get in there quicker than the bot! The bot occasionally gets the better of me.

Black demons are a nuisance to slay.

Blue dragons are terrible.

I find the bots have long 'alphabetical' nicks.

Same armour.

Behaviour repetetive.

Not seen one that uses prayer on high level beasts.

You can log out on a night and they will still be there the next morning lol.

Just saying...x x x

lollll clearly jagex wants bots around. They basically approve of real world trading now (that new store thingy, rune coins). They can cut a deal with bot companies like Powerbot so they can both make more money. Jagex just needs to ban enough to keep sheep fans believing that Jagex wants to remove all bots

Durmstrang.png

Go Chicago Bears!

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

I think they are at that stage where they have stopped caring about the bot problem. If they really were concerned, there are bots in all sorts of common places that would be easy enough to nuke. In fact, one of the disturbing trends I have noticed while training cooking at the GE is the number of firemaking bots there, especially the number of high level bots(some well over level 130), it's as if they no longer fear getting banned. They are real easy to detect because of their patterns. Then their are the spamming bots, both in public chat, and private chat(if you happen to ever turn yours on for a second). It should be easy enough to send a team of P-Mods, to Dungeoneering servers(there are bots there too) and the GE, to sort this mess out(at least the advertisers). But apparently they can't be bothered to do that. You know botting is rampant when they do it openly in the GE of all places. The trial membership seems only to exacerbate this problem because the culprits can just claim free membership on level 3 accounts and spam, if I am not mistaken. A possible solution would be to limit their speech during trial memberships in key places(Dungeoneering -- outside the dungeons where the actual recruiting/advertising goes on and the GE). It really isn't too hard to deal with these problems, much like the server problems that have beset RS for months, but it requires actual concern on Jagex's part; a difficult feat indeed. Giant bot nukes, while fun, are not enough, it's not enough to simply nuke them once every year, one must stay vigilant.

Everything you suggested would only stop bots for 5 minutes at most.

My suggestions were not meant to be comprehensive in any way, just passing thoughts to solve very specific problems: namely the advertising bots at the GE and Dungeoneering. Simply sending a team of P-Mod's would quite literally solve the problem in the case of Dungeoneering, with the GE it would take more work. Ultimately though, I would probably look into IP bans, in certain situations and perhaps contacting ISPs(if something along those lines is possible), or lawsuits where applicable. Vigilance is key with regards to bots; at the moment Jagex doesn't even seem to be making the minimal effort to combat bots.

If you ban a spam bot, a new one will replace it as soon as the owner notices. Ip bans are useless and unnecessary - ips can be easily changed and it affects everyone that uses that ip.

Furthermore, it takes a long time and a lot of effort to release a bot nuke, and if any information about it is leaked to bot developers, all of it is wasted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi I am new to this forum and I'm not looking to cause trouble or problems, but I think bots can be both good and bad.

Now this may seem odd at first, but the part about them being good is not from my perspective, it's that of Jagex. Bots bring

quite a lot of money to Jagex because a majority of them have to buy members in order for their botting be worth while, whether

it be to gain levels or to farm gold, those options just aren't around in F2P. And can you blame Jagex? I mean what company doesn't want to make money? Because when bots were around prior to the first nuke I think there was something like 200k (or around there) players on at one time. Now you see maybe 170k at the most? That's a lot of business lost hence the rise in fees for membership. Sure Jagex could attempt to ruin bots and come down hard on them, but in-turn I would imagine that fees for membership would be even higher because people always find something to complain about..

Now from my point of view, I greatly dislike bots. I personally don't like them because of the 5 odd years I've played Runescape my career has been gauged towards skilling. And bots are a major problem when it comes to skilling because of the MAJOR impacts on the RS economy. It now gives me and other players a bad attitude towards skilling, for example if I'm going to go for 99 fishing, I for one would be concerned with the low prices of all the fish which would make me think, is the time and effort really worth the awful profit? In most cases it is not, and this is what causes players to either quit, beg, scrape by, or even buy RSGP by real world trading. This creates more problems for Jagex and us as players, but In the end I guess it's a matter of picking your poison.

There is one thing I need to say. Just because someone doesn't reply to what you say to them doesn't mean they're bots, they can also have their chat off.

This is weird, I fight monsters a lot in RuneScape, and have never experienced a problem with bots. But let me ask, how do you know they're bots and not just some people with chat off?

Go pking at green drags some time. You will see the same 'people' come back over n over, they all use similar/the same food (trout, salmon, tuna, lobster (the hardcore bots use lobs)), and all have similar 3item setups. All drop rings of dueling or varrock tabs, some have combat or str/att pots. They all tele when they go to eat at less than 70% health and have no food. They all eat at the same time, they all run to the same spot for the same drop, they all attack the same way at the same time..etc..

You've gotta be btmf to not know who is botting and who isn't.

Hi I am new to this forum and I'm not looking to cause trouble or problems, but I think bots can be both good and bad.

Now this may seem odd at first, but the part about them being good is not from my perspective, it's that of Jagex. Bots bring

quite a lot of money to Jagex because a majority of them have to buy members in order for their botting be worth while, whether

it be to gain levels or to farm gold, those options just aren't around in F2P. And can you blame Jagex? I mean what company doesn't want to make money? Because when bots were around prior to the first nuke I think there was something like 200k (or around there) players on at one time. Now you see maybe 170k at the most? That's a lot of business lost hence the rise in fees for membership. Sure Jagex could attempt to ruin bots and come down hard on them, but in-turn I would imagine that fees for membership would be even higher because people always find something to complain about..

Now from my point of view, I greatly dislike bots. I personally don't like them because of the 5 odd years I've played Runescape my career has been gauged towards skilling. And bots are a major problem when it comes to skilling because of the MAJOR impacts on the RS economy. It now gives me and other players a bad attitude towards skilling, for example if I'm going to go for 99 fishing, I for one would be concerned with the low prices of all the fish which would make me think, is the time and effort really worth the awful profit? In most cases it is not, and this is what causes players to either quit, beg, scrape by, or even buy RSGP by real world trading. This creates more problems for Jagex and us as players, but In the end I guess it's a matter of picking your poison.

They aren't good for Rs longevity because players can take shortcuts that make them end their Rs lifetime a lot faster. They get less enjoyment out of the game by completing more of it easily (services such as questing, random minigames, powerlvling or bought accs/gp..), thus causing them to quit abruptly or permanently a lot faster. They absorb less of the game and have a smaller 'nostalgic' feeling, and probably wouldn't come back as easily. This isn't true 100% of the time, but I figure it's accurate for a decent proportion of RWTing-involved players. Those that bot for personal gain and not RWT are in a worse seat, because when reality hits them (if they really care about a true gaming experience that is), they feel the game is ruined for them completely (evidence such as the Tip.it times post).

Either way, the less players that play Rs, the higher the bot ratio is because they want to make gold cheap enough to be appealing. Jagex -may- get a really good amount of money off bots existing, but it degrades and dissapoints the actual players. Once they leave, the game dies a little. Once people realise that the game is a sinking ship, they jump off and leave it as a lost cause. A huge chain reaction occurs, maybe over a loooong period of time, and overall, it ends up killing RuneScape.

Edit: I'll add in the Rs population has dropped substantially more than you say. 75-130k now, as opposed to 100-150k maybe 2-3 months ago, dependant on time of day/week/month/etc. I remember the days where a third of a million players was bad @ any time of the day. Now it's like..."Wow 200k? Rs is getting popular!.."

You could say that most of the past records of daily population was bots, but I think the ratio of bots:players was smaller. I mean c'mon, everywhere had people at it regardless of bots. Bots didn't bot everything in existance just to turn a coin to sell for irl cash. You didn't see 15 bots at Magic trees, you saw 7 players and 2 bots. And here we are, not cutting magic trees. Not cutting yews nearly as much (almost all bots), not really fishing as much (mostly bots..). There's no comparison anymore, and people who haven't seen the past missed out on the thriving game so many want back. They have nothing to compare it to except just months or a few years ago. And that is absolutely NOTHING like what Rs was half a decade+ ago. It dissapoints me when people let it slide so much.

553VriC.png?1

I understand where you are coming and I agree for the most part. I think you're right when you say that the bot:player ratio was much smaller a long time ago and I think this is because of the attitude If you can beat them join them. And you're spot on about the part where players don't take as much of the game in because they are botting and RWT because they feel no accomplishment and their goals were achieved much easier so they don't feel like it was a journey or a fun time.

Alright, when I first posted in this thread I obviously had no idea what the hell I was talking about, I am willing to admit that, so you guys can stop quoting my old posts in this thread now.

So I'm killing red dragons now, and I love killing them. And most people are wearing the exactly the same things. Dragon med, a gray platebody, dragon platelegs, tzhaar cape and abyssal whip. I am going to assume those are bots.

Thankfully I know how to be on the right spot and I can easily just kill the red dragons.

Alright, when I first posted in this thread I obviously had no idea what the hell I was talking about, I am willing to admit that, so you guys can stop quoting my old posts in this thread now.

So I'm killing red dragons now, and I love killing them. And most people are wearing the exactly the same things. Dragon med, a gray platebody, dragon platelegs, tzhaar cape and abyssal whip. I am going to assume those are bots.

Thankfully I know how to be on the right spot and I can easily just kill the red dragons.

Why are you killing red dragons?

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

The bot to player ratio has indeed risen, but I don't think it has risen by more then 15% or so. I just find it much more noticeable nowadays, because there's fewer worlds for the botters to infest, so they tend to group together. For example, say 100 botters used to be at Falador yews before the first nuke across all the F2P worlds (on average, let's say). Now, there's probably around 115 bots at the Falador yews, but since there's so few worlds, instead of only seeing 3 or 4 bots per world, you see 7 or 8.

And because of the higher concentration of bots at skilling spots (due to fewer worlds) it becomes harder and harder for legitimate players to skill and turn a profit at those spots, leading to growing frustration, and people leaving the game. I think Jagex did a good job with the previous nuke, and hopefully they do as well with the new one, but I don't think the problem can be attributed solely to the fact that there's a few more bots then before.

There's a lot more to it then that, in my opinion.

o4qq.png

My Pure F2P Blog: CLICK ME

6th Maintainer of the Pure F2P Highscores / The Top 250 F2P Skill Total Lists : May 16th, 2012 - March 30th, 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's update seems to be taking care of the ad- and spam-bots. Hopefully the skill-bots won't be far behind.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Cheer up, bots now explode (Y)

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

• 4 weeks later...

It really is necessary Jagex comes up with a solution. I reached 99 summon not long ago and am now very busy gathering the eggs they drop to fill my menagerie in POH.

Black dragons were awesome, no bots at all. Red dragons were quite crowded with bots but were easy to beat. And when I got to the blue dragons it was hell. It took me over

400 kills to get the egg drop. In that time I did not see one legit player. All names like "gfgfgfgffff" and exact the same outfits. I even saw a L137 botting. I am 100% they were all

bots, thanks to 8yrs of game experience in RS and because they keep trying to attack the dragon, although I'm already fighting it... I find it very frustrating that reporting doesn't

seem to do a thing and that there are no Jagex Mods who just clear areas of bots. Why would Jagex not hire one person, who detects and bans bots for let's say 4hours a day.

It would be cost effective and people would actually feel as if Jagex cared about the problem. And I know there has to be 100% certainety before banning someone but it's not

as if it's hard to see who bots and who doesn't...

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

I don't think it would be cost effective to employ someone SoJ. The bots are automatically created by illegal companies. There are literally hundreds of worlds, with hundreds of spots each where bots go. A human could not keep up. This was proved before botany bay when pmods would mute the spammers and within minutes another 4 would be back. Bots run 24/7, they don't eat, sleep or need to take a break.

Jagex best bet is to aggressively roll out botwatch to more locations. It's done a great job in some areas but in others is clearly lacking. I've noticed an increase in the number of bots mining at LRC since botany bay and this could be because some other methods of goldfarming have been detected by the new system.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...