Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is there a God?

• Please log in to reply
557 replies to this topic

The_Gabe
[ Display Name History ]

The_Gabe

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,503 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN '07:The_Gabe555
Russet, from what I can understand from your post, you look for specific signs of something beautiful and magically say "it's God's work" without any second thoughts. It's useless to argue with fallacious logic that can relate items without specific patterns and call them similar from the same source.
Posted Image

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

champion
[ Display Name History ]

champion

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,176 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Do you think that the tree outside and the bird flying over JUST APPEARED?

I'd just like to add that no reasonable person actually believes this or argues this to be the case. But it sounds a lot more similar to your idea of God individually designing and creating things than evolution anyways.

RussetAlpha
[ Display Name History ]

RussetAlpha

X-TET

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Russet Alpha
  • Clan:Tip.it Events Team

Russet, from what I can understand from your post, you look for specific signs of something beautiful and magically say "it's God's work" without any second thoughts. It's useless to argue with fallacious logic that can relate items without specific patterns and call them similar from the same source.

There's a tribe somewhere in the deep Amazon or jungle that was isolated from everyone else. A group of people finally reached them and were going to tell them about God, and you what? They already were worshipping Him. They understood that someone had to have created the jungle and creation around them.

Edited by Kimberly, 07 May 2012 - 12:49 AM.
Please stay on topic, thank you! :)

Nani mo dekinai

Chanto dekinai

Sore ga dou shita?

Bokura wa wakai'n da

Nanimo dekinai
Sugu ni dekinai
Dakara bokura ni kanou sei ga aru'n da

~AKB48

champion
[ Display Name History ]

champion

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,176 posts
If you go by the logic of "but a God wouldn't be detected/understood/analyzed by scientists because of X," which I guess makes sense, things just get unnecessarily vague. Scientific analysis is, currently on the planet Earth, our best way to prove what is false and what is true and to discover new ideas.

Edited by Kimberly, 07 May 2012 - 12:50 AM.
Removed quote chain and off-topic paragraphs. Please stay on topic!

Powerfrog
[ Display Name History ]

Powerfrog

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,621 posts
  • RSN:Mr frogger
  • RSN '07:Mr frogger

There's a tribe somewhere in the deep Amazon or jungle that was isolated from everyone else. A group of people finally reached them and were going to tell them about God, and you what? They already were worshipping Him. They understood that someone had to have created the jungle and creation around them.

Well actually, religion is often used to create answers. While science is used to find answers. The very idea of "faith" is the exact opposite of science. They can only co-exist until science disproves an "answer" religion makes up.

The tribe thing would actually be powerful evidence if they followed the game god, to very specific details, as Christianity, or any other religion. But to believe that there is an omniscient being that made everything is one of the most likely steps for someone ignorant of the truth to take. Humans are a curious lot and will always look for answers, it's a shame that this thirst for knowledge is impeded by con artists and attention seekers falsely claiming to have the answers.

Edited by Kimberly, 07 May 2012 - 12:51 AM.
Removed off-topic post quotes that were removed. Thanks!

CNqWHdA.jpg

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin

If you go by the logic of "but a God wouldn't be detected/understood/analyzed by scientists because of X," which I guess makes sense, things just get unnecessarily vague. Scientific analysis is, currently on the planet Earth, our best way to prove what is false and what is true and to discover new ideas.

It only gets vague because you're trying to apply logic to an area which logic itself tells you it can't be used to prove anything :P.

Scientific method relies on proving things false, e.g. the cycle from theory > experiment > result > either falsification or confirmation. Show any proof that falsifies the existance of gods and that's perfectly fine, but unless something major happened quite recently I don't believe there is any such proof.

Edited by Kimberly, 07 May 2012 - 12:51 AM.
Removed off-topic quotes, thanks!

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Boris5000
[ Display Name History ]

Boris5000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,954 posts
  • RSN:Volothamp
  • RSN2:Boris I
This topic moves way too fast :/

This topic reminds me alot about a specific Eddie Izzard stand-up:
Warning language.

Luck be a Lady

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

intelligent discussion using logic, facts and reason can be eye opening and is the only way we'll ever find out. Assuming he doesn't come down and say hello, that is.

Nothing will come of "discussion" or philosopher's answer for this "great question" would have been taken as fact years and years and years ago. The truth is no one will be satisfied until it's empirically proven. And that won't happen for the forseeable future. Until then, it is a matter of faith, not fact. And that is truly the heart of any religion, regardless of what flavor of religion you follow.

So, yes, it is useless. All it does is foster tension in a community that doesn't have any place in engaging in such a debate.

Edited by Kimberly, 07 May 2012 - 02:23 AM.
Removed unnecessary line at the end.

hzvjpwS.gif

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
Thanks for waiting guys. Topic cleaned and reopened. Have fun!

Reminder: Please try to remember a few things before continuing this topic.

1) Our forum rules. While Off Topic is a place where these controversial subjects may be discussed freely, please try to remember that even still, care must be exercised to refrain from stating our personal beliefs as fact. These strong, definitive statements often lead to unnecessary arguing and flaming between the community members, and truly aren't necessary to have a stong, constructive discussion

2) Report bad posts - don't respond! If someone is getting a little too heated, please report them rather than reply! At the very least, please do not get involved in off-topic arguing/flaming, as it degrades the quality of discussion for other users.

3) We want this topic to stay open! But if it continues down the same path that lead to the topic being cleaned, it will have to be locked. Please help us prevent this by staying on topic!

Thanks again guys and happy discussing :)

hzvjpwS.gif

indy500fan
[ Display Name History ]

indy500fan

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,216 posts
Ii'm glad that there more "no god/gods" votes than anything else so far, it's not the results I was expecting.
Posted Image
Posted Image

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Ii'm glad that there more "no god/gods" votes than anything else so far, it's not the results I was expecting.

It's a video game fansite forum. What were you expecting?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Technicality but none of the god(s) should be capitalised.

Thanks for alerting me, Sy.

Looking around at the thread, I had no idea that the usually morose and laconic OT community could get so fired up about something as abstract as God. ;)

I personally do not believe in God in the traditional sense and, because it is redundant to theorise about a being other than the God of the Bible/Qur'an etc. (whose key attributes are virtually the same), I tend not to bother. This is not to say that I find discussing the matter pointless, however - if such discussion weren't allowed on this forum, it would virtually be a ghost town. :P

I also freely admit that my highly Catholic upbringing might have contributed to my anti-God beliefs. To illustrate quite how pious my parents are: I have two forenames. The first, Crocefisso, is an old Catholic name meaning crucifix, while the second, Girolamo, is in memory of Girolamo Savonarola, a Dominican monk who ruled Florence in the 15th century and was later burned in some piazza under Papal duress. :-D

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

indy500fan
[ Display Name History ]

indy500fan

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,216 posts

It's a video game fansite forum. What were you expecting?

A more equal distribution between do believe and don't believe.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts

Why does this make you happy?

Crocefisso
[ Display Name History ]

Crocefisso

Il Barone

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Why does this make you happy?

Perhaps he is an anti-theist?

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,009 posts
If there is a god, I'm sure it's more similar to "the force" from Star Wars, rather than some omnipotent deity/superhuman.

77yLQy8.png

obfuscator
[ Display Name History ]

obfuscator

Tanned Caveman

• Members
  • 20,231 posts
Oh good, this thread again. Because this hasn't already been discussed to death...

Anyway, I think there is probably some kind of sentient force controlling the universe. As to what exactly that is I can't be sure...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,605 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly

If there is a god, I'm sure it's more similar to "the force" from Star Wars, rather than some omnipotent deity/superhuman.

I've always particularly liked this interpretation myself. I generally subscribe to a more 'general will of the Universe' sort of thing I guess you could say, rather than a specific being. Though I can't say I would be surprised if we one day found out that what we believed to God was an alien or aliens. After all, technology beyond your current level of comprehension would certainly appear to be supernatural or magical. Or maybe I just watch way too much sciencefiction.

And a point about the bible that flows from my point about technology appearing to be magical, you have to consider when the scripture that become the bible (or was left out) was written. Proceeding under the assumption for a second that there is a god, regardless of the nature of said god, the word of god would have to be communicated in language that could be understood by the people of the time. Concepts like evolution, or the science involved in the creation of the universe, would have just been totally beyond understanding. The groundwork for some of the concepts we grasp today simply did not exist, and would have been pointless because the concepts wouldn't be in existence for thousands of years (there is no reason to assume that such a book would be understandable even today). So the bible was written as a product of the concepts of the times.

This also means that to some extent, it has to be written withing the social constraints of the times, because if you march in with concepts of how to behave (like equality) that run contrary to how eveyone has been living so far, they are going to rebel against them. Change takes time.

And as an aside while we are assuming god exists, I feel like if we weren't meant to question god, or have different religions, then either proof would be presented to us, or we wouldn't have the capacity to question such things in the first place.

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films
I can't be sure there are or are not gods in the multiverse, but I can assure you if there are, he's not going to be anything like the "morally good God". A supreme being with infinite power and wisdom, knows everything and all outcomes...lets certain human beings suffer? God isn't merciful or kind, he's an ass for not helping.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

das
[ Display Name History ]

das

The Collector

• Members
  • 7,895 posts
Really though, I'm a firm believer that god does exist, simply because with all of the scientific knowledge we posses and all of our achievements - we still can not scientifically disprove god's existence for the simple fact faith still exists - if proof did exist that god wasn't real - would anyone really believe otherwise? It's a paradox i like to think about
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users