DDOSing in runescape

Dynamic ip/ddos protected router/don't use stuff that shows IP to anyone

Ddos protected routers don't exist no matter what the companies say. It would be just as effective as having a bucket of water ready to dump on your router when it gets fried. :rolleyes:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatismyip.org check it restart router if it changes you're dynamic(a good thing)

before you go staking turn off router and back on and don't post on tif/do anything on the internet period other than RS.

I wouldn't put it past a TIF mod or anyone for that matter to leak an IP for some quick $$$

don't bother with VPNs etc as if they have your actual IP the masked IP does nothing.

If you aren't dynamic calling your ISP is the best bet

E: oh and NEVER accept first

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Corrupted tif mods (People pay like £30 for a single ip leak).

In your case most likely situations are corrupted tif mods

No one on the Tip.it Staff is selling your information - we're working extremely hard to protect it. One example of that would be how the majority of the staff actually can't see these important personal information tidbits that are so vital to things like recovering your RS account.

As Jolletzu pointed out, a lot of people use image scrapers to grab your IP. This method is actually fairly easy to do, doesn't generally come up to people as a "red flag", and is pretty damn common. This one is the most likely explanation simply because it's the easiest to get away with, and the least recognized.

Wolfmon is completely right. DDoS'ing is huge in high-stakes pking and the clan world. It's a quick and cheap way to cripple your opponent and basically hand you the victory. The best thing for you is prevention.

You do know there is no way you can actually prove that, right?

And to the TIF editor... He said its POSSIBLE not that it was what happened. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

How can you 100% say without a shadow of a doubt one of the dozens of moderators didn't need the money out of desperation. However, it's probably because of the leaked tip.it database that wasn't encrypted or whatever that allowed several accounts to be social engineered. I'm fairly certain that's how my account was compromised while i was gone.

Low_C.png

Wow. DDOS'd by a guy (if what RSI said is true) is known to DDOS people. Shock horror when staking something like a party hat.

And surely you cant be surprised that protection rackets like this exist.

You must be extremely idealistic.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I find it hard to feel any sympathy for you losing one phat considering your total bank value.

I do however completely understand the principle of the situation. People telling him to just not stake are retarded. He shouldn't have to not use a part of the game he enjoys because some little piss ant finds it funny to DDoS people.

This kind of thing has always happened to people who advertise their wealth though. You may as well put a sign above your head that says "Hey y'all, my bank is open to everyone, take all my shit pl0x."

Sylpheed.png

If you haven't, make sure that you block ICMP on your firewall. One of the most common forms of denial of service is to repeatedly ping an IP address until it interrupts the connection. If you block ICMP in your firewall rules, you prevent that method of DoS attack.

td2sig.jpg

How can you 100% say without a shadow of a doubt one of the dozens of moderators didn't need the money out of desperation. However, it's probably because of the leaked tip.it database that wasn't encrypted or whatever that allowed several accounts to be social engineered. I'm fairly certain that's how my account was compromised while i was gone.

Because most of us (me included) don't have access to user's IP addresses.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Because most of us (me included) don't have access to user's IP addresses.

Derp, that doesn't mean NO ONE has access or NO ONE could have misused it. Simple logic.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

I was simply pointing out that not everyone on the staff has access to that information..in regards to his "dozens of moderators.."

Pointless blaming either way. Nothing can be proven.

The blaming ends now.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Higher mods like Tripsis and MageUK do, though. That I'm very sure.

EDIT: And yeah, it's not impossible for corrupted TIF mods to exist. It's just a possibility, no blaming on this end. :>

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

DDosing [or just DoSing for that matter] is outlawed in the police and justice act 2006, with a max sentence of 10 years in prison.

And you've got proof of a DDoSer admitting and threatening to re-offend?

If jagex have been known to notify the police in cases where a player has expressed a desire for suicide, i'm sure they can notify the police when a player is committing serious crimes.

Get the wheels of justice turning...

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I like how people are accusing Tip.It mods for DDOSing people. All in all, it is your fault if you get DDOS'd.

My fault? Arguments about being more of a target aside, I have always been as careful as possible with my IP.

- Do not use skype, any IRCs, msn, or ever click on any links people send me ingame. You might remember I posted an attempt before to get my ip via a pm from "zezima", I just cannot work out how they would have been able to get my IP in the first place, no one on an IRC or skype could have sold me out, as I do not use them, this forum and RSC are the only forums I use with my username.

um.png

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Leaked database most likely. What about Youtube? Any way someone might have been able to get your info there?

Sorry for your loss though. :|.

4K469.png

Allowing users to post external images on a forum like this one is enough to find out your ip. The image does not even have to be noticeable.

Oh and there are hardware solutions which help against denial of service attacks, but it never gives complete protection.

"The more persistence a game tries to have; the longer it is set up to last; the greater number (and broader variety) of people it tries to attract; and in general the more immersive a game/world it set out to be--then the more breadth and depth of human experience it needs to support to be successful for more than say, 12-24 months. If you try to create a deeply immersive, broadly appealing, long-lasting world that does not adequately provide for human tendencies such as violence, acquisition, justice, family, community, exploration, etc (and I would contend we are nowhere close to doing this), you will see two results: first, individuals in the population will begin to display a wide range of fairly predictable socially pathological behaviors (including general malaise, complaining, excessive bullying and/or PKing, harassment, territoriality, inappropriate aggression, and open rebellion against those who run the game); and second, people will eventually vote with their feet--but only after having passionately cast 'a pox on both your houses.' In essence, if you set people up for an experience they deeply crave (and mostly cannot find in real life) and then don't deliver, they will become like spurned lovers--somebecome sullen and aggressive or neurotic, and eventually almost all leave."

Mike Sellers' Hypothesis

Allowing users to post external images on a forum like this one is enough to find out your ip. The image does not even have to be noticeable.

This. Users can host an image on their own site, paste it on Tip.It (such as in a signature), and get the IP addresses of everyone who views them. This is a common threat going around right now and is one that we will be combating very soon.

Another possibility is that someone got your IP from when we or RSC (or a large number of other fan/clan sites) were hacked. Tip.It's database was compromised in October and RSC's database was compromised in March. And I could probably name at least 5 other clan sites and fan sites that had their databases stolen in the last six months. Your IP could have been obtained from any of those databases, and I'm sure they're each in the hands of multiple people by now.

There's honestly nothing I can say that will convince you, but Tip.It moderators and admins are NOT selling IP information. Only four moderators even have access to IPs (Super Moderators), but even their access is pretty limited. Admins do have access, but there's nothing I can do other than assure you that we're not selling IP information. You wouldn't believe the kind of things we've been offered to give up information and we've turned down every request as a team. It would be fairly obvious if an admin then went behind our backs and gave that information up.

It is honestly pretty hurtful and insulting that so many people have jumped to the conclusion that the Tip.It staff are at fault when there are so many other more likely scenarios (as I listed before).

I am sorry that this happened to you 999134, but I hope you will understand and realize that there are many plausible explanations for how someone got ahold of your IP. All of the Tip.It staff members value the security of our members and we always do everything we can to protect your accounts and private information.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

As tripsis says, few of our staff have access to this information for just this reason, it's valuble and we do get e-mails and messages from people making offers for data about users, which we never hand over. We are committed to our community and if that means not making some fast money for ourselves by not handing out your data, that's exactly what it means. Our administrators and moderators are selected very carefully, and are re-assessed even as they progress through each rank (Mod -> Global -> Super, for example), and we make sure we can fully trust them.

Not to mention, that even if we wanted to, we'd be breaching laws by handing over your data without your consent, never mind the laws being broken by those doing the DDoSing, us handing over the data would effectively be enabling it.

I don't think the point is that anyone IS selling data as much as they COULD. I mean, I COULD rob a bank, in theory, but that doesn't mean I would in practice. We were talking about every POTENTIAL, not every LIKELY scenario. Not sure why people are getting so defensive.

Stonewall337.png

I don't think the point is that anyone IS selling data as much as they COULD. I mean, I COULD rob a bank, in theory, but that doesn't mean I would in practice. We were talking about every POTENTIAL, not every LIKELY scenario. Not sure why people are getting so defensive.

Our point is that while yes, you are correct that it's a potential scenario, that's not where the information was obtained.

A "while we can never garantuee that any of our staff members give out confidential information, we are doing everything we can do to prevent this and select our staff very carefully, re-assessing them whenever they climb up a rank" would have suited more IMHO.

If you use IRC, get a BNC to help avoid ddoses. Pm me about it if you do.

Call your ISP and demand an IP change because you're being ddosed online, maybe even state that it keeps happening on a game or something and explain why they would? Include RWT into the picture and I think they might even take action if they find out who did it o_O.

553VriC.png?1

A "while we can never garantuee that any of our staff members give out confidential information, we are doing everything we can do to prevent this and select our staff very carefully, re-assessing them whenever they climb up a rank" would have suited more IMHO.

Was there really any need for this post? Why are people being overly critical of the Admins responses? People on the first page WERE pretty much saying that it was "probably a leak from a corrupt tif mod."

Sylpheed.png