May-11-2012 - The Evolution of Combat

Leik

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this makes combat less RNG and more skill based, I'm definitely looking to testing it out. Until more information is available however, I'll reserve judgement.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I'd be a liar if I said I'm not interested about this.

I find it funny how you say things at times.

But i completely agree :thumbup:

My wording gets stranger after midnight. :P

I think I'll like this, with so many things changing in such a dominant part of the game a beta is really needed.

As for them claiming it is their 'first beta test'? It seems that they just assume nobody remembers the RS2 beta test, there are some of us still here after all. Even forgetting that, Jagex did beta tests for Kickabout League (or whatever it was called, a Funorb game), so by my counting it would be third (assuming we are talking Jagex, second if we consider just Runescape).

As for them claiming it is their 'first beta test'? It seems that they just assume nobody remembers the RS2 beta test, there are some of us still here after all.

Maybe none of them were around when that beta was done. Now there's a scary thought, that some of us have been around longer than the staff. :P

Still, it's the first time they've done beta testing specifically for a skill or group of skills. Perhaps that's what they mean by 'first beta test'.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I guess it's the first beta test of an update, as opposed to beta testing what was essentially a new game

This is the logic I was thinking makes the most sense.

Afterall while there was an RS2 Beta test it wasn't really an update beta it was literally a new game written from the ground up that happened (intentionally of course) to include the majority of the gameplay features of RSC

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm not sure who at Jagex decided to do this, but it's a step in the right direction. Something like this is doing the right thing, where instead of internally beta testing it and saying, "It's fine - we like it, you'll like it or leave it", they want honest feedback from their players.

...those last six words are hard to utter, especially given their recent look on feedback *cough*SQUEALOFFOURTUNE*cough*, but I think that it's a good start. I'll have to wait and see on this, though.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

As long as paying attention gets you boosted exp per hour compared to the system we have today and the afk option is the same as what we have today this is more then welcome. I don't want to see todays rates at afk become the new systems rates while paying full attention.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING FOR A WHILE.

I got called stupid for it, even. Probably because people are so concentrated on getting the most xp with the least effort.

I prefer to play the game I pay for than to just afk it so I get all the rewards or better items, areas, etc. Yes, it's somewhat acceptable to have stuff like bonfires or runespan for semi-afk exp that is better xp/h. Yeah, I can understand wanting the cooler stuff first, but this isn't Grand Theft Auto. It's not cheating, per-se, I will side with those who think there's so much in RuneScape to do. (opinionated) Content will get boring.

However, the fact that there is a benefit to afking greater than the methods that are not is unfair. Runespan is in it's early stages and is testing this now. It was meant to help kill off rune supplies to make normal Runecraft profitable, or even good money. So far, it's done nothing. Too many runes come from combat, I suppose, but whatever. I don't want auto-retaliate to just be the best xp in rs for combat after this, IF IT GOES THROUGH. Style-changing monsters will be entertaining and challenging, and since some bosses do this anyway somewhat, it could benefit that end of Rs.

Anyway, with all that said (aiming for people to agree with the above), a few things I think we should expect to see:

-Style-changing during combat (probably won't be there during beta due to the overhaul for npc's), such as needing to switch to stab/slash etc.

-All weapons having controlled/defensive/etc training if realistically possible on the weapon (I.E. Granite maul has no real control, so no controlled training option), no matter which attack style you choose to use. This would eliminate a large amount of weapons, but who knows. Perhaps damage will be higher, lifepoints increased, and weapon damage more based off of stats instead of skill level. Skill level would outright be for requirements in this case. (hoping for this because I suggested it after I saw how useless LP update was)

-Two-handed weapons having defensive stats, shields and some armor possibly having offensive/more offensive stats.

-Being able to set attack styles to X attack mode without resetting when switching. (such as being able to Crush on a Gravite 2h, then switch to a scimitar to slash without getting controlled xp. Normally it would turn to stab (controlled) with a scimitar switch from G2h crush). I can't imagine how they'd do that but I want it and it could happen depending on their system.

-Character movement changes; Currently we use a point-click movement system (idfk the official term). With chats so heavily used in Rs, I doubt there will be WASD movement. Mouse control movement is more likely. Such as holding ctrl down to move the camera with the mouse, using the mouse for performing actions and whatnot, arrowkeys to move your character around. The second option would be like World of Warcraft movement, perhaps neglecting arrowkeys entirely, or using them for camera movement still. I do not expect a character movement change, but from an inexperienced point of view it could very well hurt bots' ability to function as easily. I mostly just want more sensitive and accurate camera movement.

-IF MOVEMENT CHANGE IS INCLUDED, a very very messed up way of fighting. Kiting monsters will be harder, being able to dodge attacks such as boss specials in Dungeoneering also, etc. 2nd biggest reason I doubt movement change will happen. Top 3 are (1) the work behind all of it, (2) the severe amount of changes, (3) Jagex's history in going over the top revamping everything very quickly. This is a large project, but character movement is much larger.

-Magic attack styles such as what is seen in the Moia saga for Dungeoneering, released last month. I have imagined this coming for years, and I really hope it does. Magic needs a little more 'oomph' behind it, in terms of regular spells. You can go ahead and say this or that is unbalanced, it'll ruin pvp/combat triangle, whatever. They can probably fix that with a few added effects or melee/range specialty content anyway. Bakriminel bolts already show part of what Jagex wants, too bad it's only one item.

553VriC.png?1

I don't think these changes will make much difference at all, unless Jagex changes how the hitting system works (my opinion: basically luck-based).

As for the first BETA mention, I think they mean "update", several players have had the chance to BETA test certain things but this is the first public one (as RS2 was an entirely new (sort of) game).

This is exciting news indeed.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I'd say this could be the major turning point for RuneScape, or it could be the major [bleep]-up that'll make RuneScape infinitely more frustrating. Given their track-record, I'll remain skeptical as to whether it'll turn out 'good'.

I hope they're not dumb enough to have a NDA lol. I'm pretty curious although I won't care because Diablo 3 is coming out in 2 days.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Hopefully they will consider F2P aspects of the overhaul as well =.-

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

Hopefully they will consider F2P aspects of the overhaul as well =.-

Considering a good half of all combat options are F2P as well as P2P I'm sure they did.

Yes, it's the lower half, but still...

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...