Tip.It Times - 13 May 2012

Jaffy1

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis or Jaffy1 by PMing them and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @Jaffy1. :)

Enjoy the articles!

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

The first article seemed more like a rant than anything else. No other comment.

The Gameplay Immersion article reminded me of the fun of being a noob, and discovering things for the first time. When QBD gets released, I'm going to try it without a guide to emulate the feeling of newness.

The New Lands: I like the idea of having limited access and no world map, with new content becoming available as quests/tasks are completed.

Fictional: Not my preferred style of Rs fictional, but still interesting.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

I liked TS', but its a common problem with Jagex. They don't fix shit, and they don't improve it as often as they should.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I liked TS', but its a common problem with Jagex. They don't fix shit, and they don't improve it as often as they should.

That's what happens when you have a team work on something and then hand their work to a different team to add to it and then give THAT to another team to add to it. Cohesion fails and details, often big ones, get missed.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Fact is, they have curators for each quest arc, so I suppose also for bigger content pieces, so actually, such things should get noticed soon enough. I think a large factor also is what they often say: their "to do list", unless it's of high priority, a certain change can be waiting years to be upgraded/fixed.

I do agree with the first article. I'm still annoyed by those 8 old trees at the edge of Morytania, next to the Salve river, and many other stuff as well.

About the second and third article, as they are linked in a way: Gameplay Immersion is one of the main reasons I like this game, just as the author, I have a great imagination and while playing, I often replayed myself with my character and I LIVED through it, it was so awesome, exploring the whole wild world, getting lost, because you couldn't find the map, finally find the goblin village, search for goblin mails, it felt like real quests I did myself. And I and some friends who played together, we would tell hours to each other about what we did, what dragon we killed, how we were so scared when that murderer in the wilderness showed up... Ahhh, I miss those days!

And so, the third article, it would be such fun to actually explore yourself. I was wondering myself some time ago that if they did a graphical remake of Karamja, they could use a similar technique, that you really had to explore it, just as our task should have been at the Legend's quest. I'm getting excited already just by the idea! :P

As ever, I enjoyed the Times editorials. Most often, they reveal something of the game I hadn't considered. However, The Floating Pen might as well have been reading my mind!

Y'see, I've just had an imposed break of two months from Runescape (RSI, hooda thunk!). I came back on the 1st May and dived straight back into the game. Did a quick home tele to Lumby to get my bearings and landed on a lodestone. Having missed the update I had no idea what was happening, the pop up map just befuddled me. If was FAB. I was right back to being a newbie, in Lumby, not sure what was going on. I resisted reading the updates on the RS homesite for a whole week. Talk about a trip down memory lane! The best part was that once again I had to ask random folks for advice, and as the first time round, everyone was helpful. The MM was resolutely back in my fave RPG.

Then I did read the updates. GREEN PHATS!!!!! you've gotta be kidding me. So back to the grind, the AFKing, the reporting of ad bots, blah, blah.

It's always going to be hard to feel the same level of immersion that was felt when everything was really new. TBH, I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to quests, I do make use of the guides. But not as often as I'd like, as even some of the quests are almost formulaic. It's just not necessary. Following into the editorial by Alg, I'm not sure that opening up the fabled 'Eastern Lands' or a blank map would be enough to bring back the same level of immersion. There has to be something else. Something really radical. If I had any good ideas, I wouldn't be posting them on a fansite, I'd be relocating to Jagex central, revitalising the game we love.

As that's not going to happen, it's back to the grind, the AFKing, the reporting of ad bots, blah, blah.

Patiently waiting for the revolution that will bring about NEWSCAPE

Cultjunky.png

Another one for TS's list.

F2P has maple bows, but no maple trees.

They also have yew trees, but no yew bows.

This has confused me for years now.

Another one for TS's list.

F2P has maple bows, but no maple trees.

They also have yew trees, but no yew bows.

This has confused me for years now.

F2P does have maple trees: http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=resource_dungeons.htm#daemonheim

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Interesting articles.

Gotta say though, addendum to part of the article "Gameplay Immersion":

"It means that I wasn't that nerdy boy clicking away at his computer. No, I was the fierce knight, donning my armor and exploring a vast world in search of adventure. With a flourish, my sword pierces the foul creature and it leaves behind a shiny pair of platelegs for me to use!"

It means not having a popup every day upon logging in advertising stuff happening in "Mad May". It means not having some random disembodied pixie-goblin screaming "extra spin for the win!" and other things at you when you're happily chopping away at an evil tree. It means being able to keep your proverbial door open on your private chat without getting spammed by RWT gold website advertisements several times a minute.

I mean, face it: Jagex have been steadily adding in things that will happily break any immersion you tried to pretend you had.

I was very apprehensive of the SoF popup when it was first added, but now with the "Mad May" thing it looks like they plan on doing it a lot more. I'm REALLY not a fan of advertisements that I pay a monthly fee not to get.

And I too am a quest junkie; proud owner of a quest cape since early 2009. Still waiting for Prifddinas. And that mysterious island the Varrock Museum discovered... Though I admit, the Mahjarrat questline has been a nice distraction.

ec6a8111fe.png

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate.

How hard can it be:

This is hilarious. I love it. Particularly

"This results in the same amount of people actually playing Soul Wars as you would need to fill a suit."

Most of it makes inherent sense really.

- And put the Clan Wars portals in, oh I don't know, the Clan Camp?

I don't get the comment about the cubicles though.

Gameplay Immersion / New Lands:

What new lands says is right on. What I think they could really really expand on is the concept of Jennica's Ring. There should be hidden stuff out there that you can only access if you accidentally do the right thing. Like using Jennica's ring in a sequence of particular spots. No map would be amazing! Perhaps even a dynamic map with depleteable resources that only came around once every month or so. But no one would know where they were, or what they might even be good for. Sort of a mix of the elemental workshop quests really. You get thrown into a place with a bunch of weird stuff and no directions. Just a lot of possibilities. Sort of like the beginning of Myst. If they made something that was so hard to make a comprehensive guide for, we'd of course make one up anyway, but it would be great! Eastern Workshop it could be called... no specific laid out goals.. just a lot of different complex stories..

Agreed with TS' article. Jagex apparently doesn't have a grand scheme of things, just a dozen 'content teams' working on unrelated projects. I'm wondering if moving away from semi-weekly updates to bigger, quarterly updates would help to create bigger, interlocking updates.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

... I don't get the comment about the cubicles though.

Well, in context with the rest of the article (fix RuneScape stuff using other RuneScape stuff); when they introduced the Concentrated Ores they made the Mining skill too much like the Woodcutting skill...

So in using stuff that already exists in RuneScape, they actually went a bit too far on this one...

Just like the best food from the Cooking skill reference is an example of them not actually knowing which to pick...

I wanted to show what can be done rather easily, and to put it in contrast, I put an example in where they have done so but shouldn't have, as well as an example where it's still up in the air...

The first article seemed more like a rant than anything else. No other comment.

So I can understand that a long and slightly monotomous list comes off as a rant, but that wasn't my intention... The number of examples I could use to make the point of the article is just overwhelming...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The aim of the first article was good. A agreed with several points. A few details, I thought, were kind of silly though. Namely the comment about not being able to bring your dragon pickaxe into Damonheim. Why? No other regular outside items are allowed inside, why the dragon pick? Is an eventual primal pick not good enough for dungeoneering purposes? It just doesn't make sense to say. Like I said, you made some decent points but overall I felt like your effectiveness and communication was affected by your good points being eclipsed by the err of other questionable statements. That's basically my only problem. I feel like something shouldn't be presented as a statement when there is still room for debate. It will all break down into meaningless abstraction. Other than that, as said, their entire team coherence can be improved greatly so good on you for pointing it out.

Second/Third article: Agreed! I think everybody can relate to that. However my imagination is so overactive at times that even now, while people are understandably jaded about their RuneScape experience, I continue to experience immersion. I buy many supplies for example but in many ways I'm a quazi-diy'er and enjoy doing things on my own. When the QBD arrives I'm going in there without a hint because it will be exciting, to echo what Squakus said.

My enjoyment isn't a result of the game "meeting me in the middle" either. I'm just a freak of nature with an unhealthily positive attitude whenever possible. I force the game to immerse me, namely by constantly shifting my perspective of things to gain a better awareness of what I am experiencing and looking at the brighter, less heavy-hearted side of things. A short version of what I related a friend recently: sadness isn't good enough, anger isn't good enough! But laughter, that is good enough. :) I agree that Jagex needs to work with us to retain and improve the game experience but I also believe that most of us need to lighten up a little.

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

What Ts was referring to was the fact that in Daemonhiem you can add higher level picks/axes to your toolbelt, but outside you can't. It's not a game mechanic issue, obviously, so why not let us add Dragon picks/axes to it?

Upon rereading it, I can see how it could have been misinterpreted. We'll try and be more mindful of that in the future. :)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

What Ts was referring to was the fact that in Daemonhiem you can add higher level picks/axes to your toolbelt, but outside you can't. It's not a game mechanic issue, obviously, so why not let us add Dragon picks/axes to it?

Upon rereading it, I can see how it could have been misinterpreted. We'll try and be more mindful of that in the future. :)

Nope, I misread that fair and square! My bad. :) In that case disregard my comments about the first article and I agree, let us put higher-tier tools in the outside-world toolbelt. As long as we can remove them again of course. :3

Jubei_Reborn.png

The Fox Returns!

Yes, because if we can't remove them, we know what happens:

"1M please, I accidentally added my dragon pick to the toolbelt."

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yes, because if we can't remove them, we know what happens:

"1M please, I accidentally added my dragon pick to the toolbelt."

Meh, if you allowed people to remove items from the toolbelt we wouldn't have that problem. Or add adzes, they are untradeable anyway (the burn effect would have to have a toggle of course).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Nope, I misread that fair and square! My bad. :) In that case disregard my comments about the first article and I agree, let us put higher-tier tools in the outside-world toolbelt. As long as we can remove them again of course. :3

I disagree. I am glad that they dont have us add higher item to toolbelt outside dung. It makes sense in dung because you lose all your stuff that isnt in the toolbelt or binded. You don't have that problem outside dung. TS' article did seem like a rant, but i agreed with most of it. The other two articles were right on, but im not so sure of the no map thing. I guess im just use to a map feature too much.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

I disagree. I am glad that they dont have us add higher item to toolbelt outside dung. It makes sense in dung because you lose all your stuff that isnt in the toolbelt or binded. You don't have that problem outside dung.

That's a good point. It does seem to have more of a need in the dungeons than on the surface. I mean, realistically who was going to spend a bind on a pick or an axe? I know I had never used any pick/axe while training DG other than what I found or when I bought Novite to get through a door. Now I always have my shiny Fractite versions with me at all times.

Still, it would be nice to be able to put my Rune pick/axe on my toolbelt.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Exactly...

Adding to the toolbelt in the rest of RS (non-dung) could also be done simply up to runite (and no adze)... If people cry over "accidently" adding that to their toolbelts, then tough...

And again I apologize if the article as a whole seems a bit like a rant... You can trust me that my article for next month will be as eloquent as you have come to expect from me ;)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Exactly...

Adding to the toolbelt in the rest of RS (non-dung) could also be done simply up to runite (and no adze)... If people cry over "accidently" adding that to their toolbelts, then tough...

And again I apologize if the article as a whole seems a bit like a rant... You can trust me that my article for next month will be as eloquent as you have come to expect from me ;)

What im saying is there is no need to have rune pickaxes or hatchet added to the toolbelt. There was a need in dung, but not anymore since they fixed that.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

Adding pickaxe's to the toolbelt would be cool but we already know why they said no otherwise. The reason is because in the overland you can always go get a pickaxe. In dg, the pickaxe is not buyable and you waste resources to obtain it (plus there was zero reason for primal pickaxe at all)

They could easily make the toolbelt work in overland like how it does in dg, but they chose not too. The other large reason is because they don't want people to put dragon pickaxe etc in by accident and never be able to get it out.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Exactly...

What im saying is there is no need to have rune pickaxes or hatchet added to the toolbelt. There was a need in dung, but not anymore since they fixed that.

The effect of adding (rune) hatchets/pickaxes to toolbelts isn't that big anyway. You save an inventory space (and 20k risk, but what skilling is even risky?). Urns, xp-boosting sets, familiars, juju potions etc. make sure that you have to bank anyway, unless you're prone to randomly chopping ivy halfway a farm run.

From rune to dragon would save a lot more risk, but that's only important to runite mining & using up brawlers.

Exactly...

The effect of adding (rune) hatchets/pickaxes to toolbelts isn't that big anyway. You save an inventory space (and 20k risk, but what skilling is even risky?). Urns, xp-boosting sets, familiars, juju potions etc. make sure that you have to bank anyway, unless you're prone to randomly chopping ivy halfway a farm run.

From rune to dragon would save a lot more risk, but that's only important to runite mining & using up brawlers.

They'd be nice for doing random Evil trees and stars when you find them I guess. Kinda a pain to randomly find one and instantly have to bank..

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!