The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Is there any point in using two attack weapons of different styles?

There are some monsters/bosses who change protection prayer style according to your attacks. Maybe they plan to design some more bosses in the future in similar fashion, who knows...

I haven't had a chance to try them but possibly being really lazy at tormented demons?

It seems like attack penalties would screw that plan up.

One piece of wrong class armor(helm,body,legs or shield) gives -12% or -8% accuracy(depending on the triangle). The maximum -36% accuracy penalty shouldn't be that bad.

What are the stats for Master Wand/Mage's Book?

Master Wand is a Melee class, stabbing weapon <.<

If the equip screen calculations are to be believed, then wearing shields, bodies and leg armour of the wrong attack type result in attack penalties of 8% or 16% for each piece, based on combat class.

So wielding a rapier with Pernix body, chaps and EEKS gets a 48% hit penalty, while Virtus body, skirt and FKS would give a 24% hit penalty.

Helms don't appear to reduce accuracy despite the developers claiming that, and boots/gloves/offhands don't either.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'm interested with how cape usage will change based on what I've seen of them so far. I mean Ranged is obviously gonna be sticking to Ava's stuff:

Ava's attractor Armour: 72 Class: Ranged Crit: 1.4%

Ava's accumulator Armour: 120 Class: Ranged Crit: 1.8%

Ava's alerter Armour: 168 Class: Ranged Crit: 2.2%

But then looking at melee (two of these are class free)

Fire Cape Armour: 144 Class: Melee Crit: 2.2% Pray: 2

TokHaar-Kal Armour: 192 Class: Melee Crit: 2.4% Pray: 2

Trimmed Skill Cape Armour: 144 Class: All Crit: 2.0% Pray: 4

Obsidian Cape Armour: 120 Class: All Crit: 1.8%

Tokhaar obv rules the roost but then the stage below that is intriguing.

Fire and skill (t) match armour value so then which is better 0.2% more crit or 2 more prayer?

And also looking towards mage the standard mage capes seem to cap out fairly early:

Saradomin Cape Armour: 120 Class: Magic Crit 2.5%

Guthix Cape Armour: 120 Class: Magic Crit 2.5%

Zamorak Cape Armour: 120 Class: Magic Crit 2.5%

But then if crit of the cape doesn't mean much compared to armour the milestone capes blast everything outta the water:

Milestone Cape (10) Armour: 24

Milestone Cape (20) Armour: 48

Milestone Cape (30) Armour: 72

Milestone Cape (40) Armour: 96

Milestone Cape (50) Armour: 120

Milestone Cape (60) Armour: 144

Milestone Cape (70) Armour: 168

Milestone Cape (80) Armour: 192

Milestone Cape (90) Armour: 216

And for prayer tank Soulwars still seems best, yet with no 100% protect prayers one wonders if the sacrifice of defence for prayer bonus is wise.

Soul Wars Cape Armour: 0 Class: N/A Pray: 12

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You can't really do tds without all 3 styles.

Friend and I killed them fine using a melee tank setup and steel titan to switch his prayer. From what I've seen titan spec always changed his prayer to range. The only problem was that they were doing so much damage that we needed a shield.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I had no problem tanking their melee hits with torva. The only problem is that you need to mage them when they pray melee. I guess that changes if you have a titan, though.

Do Swift Gloves still have the chance of double hitting?

Doesn't look like any of the gloves have their abilities (yet).

Polypore staff isn't getting its spell back, so the gloves might also be losing their abilities.

More variety in combat now, eh? :rolleyes:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Do Swift Gloves still have the chance of double hitting?

Doesn't look like any of the gloves have their abilities (yet).

Polypore staff isn't getting its spell back, so the gloves might also be losing their abilities.

That's what I'm afraid of. If the gloves lose their abilities I want them to have beast stats or be non-degradable.

bGmskuB.gif

Like many things with the new combat, brilliant idea on paper but terrible implementation. "More variety" seems to mean "Combat triangle strictly enforced". I'm an optimist, so I'm just assuming that they haven't gotten around to balancing the unique items and exceptions yet.

Unfortunately most of the game seems to be balanced with hybriding in mind, so you have enemies like mithril dragons that are weak against magic but have a powerful ranged attack and an almost guarantee that at least one dragon will be using it on you at a time :wall:

I just want an exp on/off option for combat. :(

Would allow some insane summoning pures though. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Just saw this on the RSOF - Could this be the first breakthrough?

hopefullyn.png

Seeing as this is grabbed out of context it could easily be about the promised but yet to materialise xp level cut off not applying to slayer tasks thing or it could easily be a 'beta only for testing' thing

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Summoning Tanks will have a good place if the combat stays as it is currently in the beta. Deflect ability is pretty awesome, and there's tons of nice damage reduction abilities. That and everything's multi, with stupidly high hitting famils.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Summoning Tanks will have a good place if the combat stays as it is currently in the beta. Deflect ability is pretty awesome, and there's tons of nice damage reduction abilities. That and everything's multi, with stupidly high hitting famils.

How familiars should be working to be honest.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Any bug fixes or patch notes lately?

There was, it was released on the 4th.

Beta update 04/07/12

Feature changes:

-Cape and Jewellery beta shop added

-Karils ammo now in beta shops

-Players killing NPC's on a Slayer target should get full combat XP from killing the NPC regardless of the level/difficulty difference

-Prayer should drain as expected

-Movement/metamorphosis abilities cannot be used whilst holding the banner in castlewars. Furthermore the banner gives negative armour making the flag runner easier to hit.

-Adrenaline is only lost on PvP target switching in the wilderness

-Godwars killcount reduced to 10

-Damage over time effects should now not hit NPC's you don't have the Slayer level to wound

-Feedback changes to NPCs such as black demons and many slayer creatures have had their lifepoints reduced to bring the killtimes to where we expect. We will continue to monitor and change these as we go through the beta

-Sheathing has had a massive engine update. Animations that previously hide your left/right hands would have hidden sheathed items (Such as using a tinderbox to light a fire). This has now been updated so the sheathed items do not clip/disappear if your hands are seen as free

-You can now switch gear freely as quickly as you like but suffer a 2 cooldown ability penalty. This is now shown via cooldown clocks on the actionbar

-Rare items are now untradable on beta worlds. Flowers will always be red, the seal emote will always show seal #1

-Bunyip now does a percentage heal rather than an absolute value

-NPC vs NPC was not working as expected - Things that are meant to be immune to familiars (such as certain bosses) were taking incorrectly taking damage.

-A mechanic that powers the tanking abilities was not working correctly and some NPCs got stuck hunting the wrong target (such as the corporeal beast stuck trying to attack someone outside the room) This should now be resolved.

-You can no longer generate adrenaline through defensive abilities outside of combat

-Boss update: Nex

Nex suffered from a few of the issues we've fixed elsewhere this week (Such as familiars damaging when they shouldn't have). Such external issues should be resolved. Further to this we've updated her mechanics to make her as potent as you'd expect. If you are returning to Nex this week expect her to be much more adaptive, clever at giving chase and controlling her damage intake - as well as being reactive to it!

It is worth mentioning that Nex' hunting mechanics have been changed and she is now the first boss that fully supports the incite and provoke mechanics. Further information on these will be provided in another thread for those who wish to know more.

Ability changes:

Attack:

-Overpower cooldown is now 30seconds, down from 1 minute.

Defence:

-Anticipation has an added effect of making the player immune to stuns for the next 10 seconds. It has also had it's cooldown increased to 25 seconds.

-Freedom can now be used whilst stunned and has had it's cooldown increased to 30 seconds

-Rejuvinate and Immortality now require a shield

-Rejuvinate now only restores drained stats (it was previously lowering boosted stats)

-Rejuvenate shows healmarks when active

-Rejuvinate now heals 40% total lifepoints over time, down from 50%

-Immortality has had it's cooldown increased to 2minutes

Magic:

-Detonate charge speed has been doubled

-Metamorphosis now gives +50% damage output, (Previously 25%)

-Omnipower cooldown is now 30seconds, down from 1 minute.

Ranged:

-Ricochet has had it's line of sight issues resolved that prevented it's use in certain environments

-Deadshot cooldown is now 30seconds, down from 1 minute.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed or answered somewhere else in this thread. I tried working my way through as much of this as I could but I did not come up with an answer I really wanted. Basically, I've been taking a bit of a break from all things RS for a couple of weeks now. I've been lurking a bit here and there but I've not really made it a priority to keep updated with the new combat system.

What I'd like to know is how different the armor is In the beta compared to now? Is Torva still best, followed by Bandos, Barrows, etc?

If so, how much better?

The reason for my asking is because I am most likely to be away from RS for a few more weeks and when I return I'm hoping to already have whatever is best.

Also, will the new cb update affect any of the prices? Will things like Ne gear go up or down?

How about spirit shields? Boots?

And does anyone know how DG is going to be affected? Before I started my break from RS I was working towards 120, slowly. Will the update affect the exp rates? If so, how?

If any of this has been answered I a previous post, no need to answer again. Just point me to the right page.