Leon S

The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Adding on to the fight caves bit, dual wielding ranged (crossbows) would murder all the bigger guys (former 180s and 360s), however the weaker things (the former 22s, 45s and to a lesser extent 90s) would take a lot longer to kill and personally I took more damage from them compared to anything else aside from jad.

I only brought in an inventory of rocktails and 4 super restore flasks and due to some mismanaging left with 2 rocktails (ie leaving melee pray on for about 2 waves without realizing it). Unload was in the middle of murdering jad when I got killed by two mage hits at 4k+. I wasn't expecting it to hit due to what has been bouncing off me to that point.

So if you range caves use the basic stun attack on the melee monster in front, take a step back and kill everything behind it rinse and repeat.

Sc.png

If 3 dose brew + 1 super restore dose = 1 rocktail...

With flasks, 4 inventory spots gives you 18 brew doses and 6 super restore doses, correct? That's 6 rocktails.

However brews REALLY suck, they heal such a small each it's kinda stupid as you can't eat fast enough to heal before you get hit again.

Something is wrong there as Saradomin brew requires 81 herblore. Granted rocktail is like 94 Cooking.

I think that pretty much sums up why it's not a problem. Higher level food heals more, duh. :ugeek:

Yeah but that makes Sara brew near obsolete....

1 brew spot is worth 2 rocktails but also need a sup restore so that makes it even.

So unless u need more healing then restore. then brew > rocktail. Anywhere else rocktail wins.

@ Fight Caves for example the whole inventory is now based on prolonging prayer =| as you cannot 1hko the 122 + 124 (22 + 45). This makes the caves much much longer...

Seriously prayer = not an issue.

I did it all the way to Jad without using any prayer or hiding to safespot stuff. 360s barely touched me, 90s did some damage but not enough to hugely worry about, 180s did hurt a bit if they got close but even so easy to avoid.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well this is what the Beta is for right? Of course they can't replicate the Fight Caves with the new combat system to last exactly as long as the old Fight Caves.

None of this is still set in stone and might change, Fight Caves might even become much shorter than before.

Same goes with the rocktails & sara brews.

-RuneKrew-

http://www.youtube.com/RuneKrew

Commentary Runescape Videos

If you need money for whatever reason you can take a full inventory of divines and sell them to the general store nearby for 16.8M a trip >_>

77yLQy8.png

After seeing concern with Glacor boot stats - some information was gathered on them. Mod Pi mentioned a similar statement to Mod Chris L.

o9pu2.jpg

There was also concern when spirit shields weren't initially buyable in shops within he beta, and the lack of their special ability. Word from a general within Mod Pi's fc was that spirit shields were going to have new abilities, spectra - low end magic, arcane - magic, elysian - range, and divine - melee. After I questioned Mod Pi on this, he had to leave without giving an answer. I went to question Mod Chris L, and it turned into a barrage of questions within his FC. He ended up going offline without answering - mentioning he was going to bed and the ss code would be implemented.

Mod Chris L later returned when he found that the code did not give the spirit shields their desired abilities, and was further barraged with questions. He said these few words before going to "pk on his choob account".

A8nku.jpg

YPjvQ.jpg

Slightly cryptic, but hopefully answers some questions.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Can't find God Spells or Charge or Iban Blast or Polypore...

Found this pretty funny:

fadlrd.png

Poison Spiders @KBD were using arrows (looked like from Crystal Bow) and Green Dragons were using an attack like the lowest level fire one but that carried dragonbreath. I think Lesser Demons were using the same fire animation.

Also I think the beta is really only fun because I can run around with any gear without any fear of real loss. When I actually have to pay for runes/ammo/food/worry about dying the net of the combat update will be negative. :mellow:

I'm already bothered by them making ALL staves 2h... can no longer wield CS and FKS, and they didn't make a Chaotic wand or anything. Does anyone know if ABS even serves a function anymore/at the moment? I seem to cast far, far quicker with book/wand.

2dgucz6.png

Thought of another improvement: right now I have to start attacking something and then use the ability, I think it'd be a decent thing to be able to queue up a special to use right away when you attack.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10

99 Defense since 3/14/11 99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11

99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11 99 Prayer since 11/15/11

99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14

99 Fishing since 2/4/14 99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14

99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14 99 Fletching since 11/11/14

99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

The whole thing would be much, much better if the weapons actually did something. They shouldn't contribute to 5% of your total dps >.>

Im still pissed its only

"Oh, you need 12 months consecutive membership to be in beta" right at the end of the selection phase. Irritates me because I've been a member for years on end, but never renewed my membership the second it expired.

Popoto.~<3

What do rocktails heal with max stats? With mine they heal less than sharks. Sharks heal 1600 and rocktail like ~1400. That might be intentional if rocktails retail their overheal (or a modified one) ability.

Flyingjj.png

What do rocktails heal with max stats? With mine they heal less than sharks. Sharks heal 1600 and rocktail like ~1400. That might be intentional if rocktails retail their overheal (or a modified one) ability.

At 94 HP they heal 1860.

Forgot to add that Hybrid has [slightly] better stats than Torva (in minigames) but in their infinite wisdom (just as in DG with Primal Platebody) you don't start out with the boost. Instead you either have to die or heal up to it. They should really just have armor heal you when out of combat for a while, as well as when you first start a minigame.

Any confirmation about whether or not Void/Hybrid still give their % bonuses? They weren't visible before so I'm really looking for a quote.

Also imbued rings have changed a lot. Onyx Ring (I) had no stats earlier but Berserker Ring (I) gives crit to all three styles. Warrior/Farseer/Archer each give a slightly smaller crit than Berserker but a bit of defense. Fury gives crit to all three styles, and Arcane Stream gives crit only to Magic, a negligible bit more than Fury.

2dgucz6.png

Does the Magic Focus scroll still give the same boost as an extreme potion?

Is Magic more effective against bosses now?

How to win a melee vs melee fight in beta.

Get the best gear possible for your level and a shield.

Spam defense abilities to get adrenaline bar full (specially the one that makes hits heal you instead of damage you). Protip: when using taunt/provocation, use it before spamming other abilites that don't involve hitting, since it will also reduce your own damage, but since you will be casting rather than hitting, works just like another buff.

Activate rejuv. ultimate ability.

Start spamming defensive abilities again.

Halfway to full bar start spamming 1h strength/attack threshold abilites.

3/4 way to full bar switch to a 2h weapon and start spamming 2h treshold abilites.

Finish with either of 2h ultimate abilites.

If done alright, you will still have the healing effect by the time you get to 3/4 bar, and after that is just using ultimate 2h abilities.

No seriously, it seems everyone is just spamming skills mindlessly, I only lost fights when people used this same strategy against me, and only then it was a really close fight.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

Steps to be good at new combat:

Fill your action bar with offensive abilities you can use with your weapon(s)

Mash 1234567890-= until everything is on cooldown, prioritizing stronger skills.

If something comes off cooldown, use it immediately.

Continue mashing until monster dies

I think new combat is kind of fun, and everything looks cool, but I don't like that you have to literally button mash CONSTANTLY to do any appreciable damage. They made it sound like attacking was pretty much the same, with abilities being an occasional boost. However, auto attacks do absolutely nothing and abilities are 99% of your damage.

Sounds a lot like Dragon Age lol.

td2sig.jpg

For those of us who are interested in the look of the armour themselves, the Batwing robes are quite similar to the ones that Vanescula is wearing on the back cover of Legacy of Blood (third RuneScape book). (Sorry, just took the picture on the fly and didn't fix the camera but this should be good enough :P And yea, the lore is messed up it seems... D'oh!)

img0014sm.jpg

Pssh, you're just trying to do a plug in for the RS books, just admit it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Question: how can I look at item stats individually? If possible at all...

I've seen some pics showing certain item stats, but for some reason I'm not able to do it myself...

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

Pssh, you're just trying to do a plug in for the RS books, just admit it.

I swear I'm not being paid to do this. :lol:

To be more on topic though, with the little bit I've played so far on the beta, it's going to take some getting used to. I like RuneScape for its simplicity, and didn't like WoW and other games so much because I had to crawl all over the keyboard to mash buttons to attack. :( The moves are quite nifty though.

Having toruble deciding if I like this or not.

If I was facing doing this forever to train my skills, I'd probably be pretty upset, but I can clear the last of the forseeable combat training I will ever need to do before this comes out.

I also like social skills. Combat has this if your fighting large hp monsters now, where you can sclick and then chat largely uninterupted. This update will make comabat hugely antisocial, since you now need full attention and what not to the game to keep yourself effective (or even alive).

On the other hand, I don't know what I would do to make it better. The old combat was horrifically boring, but this is almost too intense. I think I would like to see even more strategy in the abilities, with a lot more focus on chaining certain abilities together into more effective combos (there are a few 2 ability combos, but I would like to see chains that are 3-5 long). In pvp, this would lead to more strategy and anticipation, since once you dedicate yourself to a combo, you are wasting you potential by switching tactics if you enemy pulls something on you you didn't see coming, but you risk dying if you don't. I guess there would need to be a lot more abilities to work, and I simply don't know what they would be. With the current pool, the meta gaming community will surely be able to provide us with what are essentially fight scripts, where we know exactly what abilities to use, in what order, before we even get into a fight, and maybe another set to try and counter the first one.

What we have are just a bunch of damage boosters really. I would like to see a lot more tradeoff between doing useful damage, and doing useful effects, which is currently pretty much the sole domain of stunning. There is a lot of potential here, but what they have now seems to be more chore than anything. Also, since monsters don't use abilities of their own, there is still basically zero strategy for most of the population, because most people only engage in pvm. Looking at this setup now, I would have to conclude that this system was designed for pvp combat, to test strategy, and to look cool. It was not designed with hours of grinding combat in mind, nor was it designed to enhance strategy in the majority of pvm situations. Just another tool like prayer there.

I've seen some pics showing certain item stats, but for some reason I'm not able to do it myself...

Hover over it

Hover over it

While in resizable mode. With the mouse-over option enabled. Doesn't work in fixed :\

77yLQy8.png

Jagex brought back what I miss about their updates. 5fps on low.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png