Anonymous Threaten Canadian GP

Danqazmlp

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iYwZN0DzqDzc2jDl-s2KQX7nSAPQ?docId=N0048251338376680284A

Cyber-anarchist group Anonymous are threatening another attack on Formula One during next week's Canadian Grand Prix in support of protesting Quebec students.

The internet hacking organisation successfully managed to disrupt the official Formula One website throughout last month's Bahrain Grand Prix over what they perceived as "the incredible human rights abuses of the Bahrain regime". This time they are backing students protesting against a hike in tuition fees.

A statement read: "As we did in Bahrain, Anonymous intends to wreck Mr (Bernie) Ecclestone's little party... We highly suggest you join the boycott of the F1 in Montreal and we certainly recommend you not purchase any tickets or F1 merchandise online. You have been warned."

Students across Quebec have been voicing their anger over their government's proposed hike in tuition fees, with protests now into their 107th day.

Notably, Anonymous are against perceived human rights injustices following an emergency law introduced on May 18, known as Bill 78, that "restricts freedom of assembly, protest, or picketing on or near university grounds and anywhere in Quebec without prior police approval".

Anonymous have already claimed responsibility for shutting down Quebec government and police websites since the introduction of Bill 78 that has allowed police to act, sending arrests soaring to over 2,500.

In their latest statement, Anonymous feel disrupting the Canadian Grand Prix weekend, one of the most popular events on the F1 calendar, will send out another firm message to Quebec premier Jean Charest.

The statement said: "Beginning on June 7 and running through race day on June 10, Anonymous will take down all the F1 websites, dump the servers and databases and wreck anything else F1-related we can find on the internet.

"We would like to remind anyone considering attending this abominable race that last time Anonymous found all the spectators' personal data, including credit card numbers un-encrypted on F1 servers.

"Anonymous will be among many protesters targeting the Grand Prix. A number of students are also set to protest, something that the F1's organisers will be wary of, considering the race could bring around 100million Canadian dollars (£62million) to the area."

It's been a while since we last discussed anonymous' activities around here, so what are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I don't know much about the student protests or the Bill 78, however, I think it's another example of anonymous attempting to bully people, without fully being involved in what they are 'fighting' for. It's a stupid idea to attempt to disrupt an event which can make so much money for an area, especially in this economic climate. It seems to show an incredible amount of idiocy, and shows how removed from reality anonymous are. It also seems to be a terrible idea to outright threaten not only people in power, but everyday people and fans of an event. If they carry on doing so, public opinion will very rarely ever be on their side again. Even now, I've seen so many comments calling anonymous out.

What's also funny to see is that they think they disrupted the Bahranian GP. The only success of their campaign was to raise awareness. They managed to take down the F1 website during the race, when all the people who would use the website were watching the television. The website was up and running shortly after. And the websites they took down to start with are not ones widely used, except F1.com.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same thoughts as you, and it seems that UKPA (your source) doesn't know that the protest isn't really against the tuition fees these days, but that law and stuff, and that not only students are protesting. I don't live in the Québec province so I can't talk for them, but then again, Anonymous isn't doing it right this time.

Personally, I don't know much about the student protests or the Bill 78, however, I think it's another example of anonymous attempting to bully people, without fully being involved in what they are 'fighting' for. It's a stupid idea to attempt to disrupt an event which can make so much money for an area, especially in this economic climate. It seems to show an incredible amount of idiocy, and shows how removed from reality anonymous are.

You can't judge AT ALL without being from here. Your paragraph almost really made me facepalm, it's all just so wrong...

Anonymous may not be doing things that are "right", but they have a noble, legit and a great goal behind this. It's just ANOTHER way to put pressure on the corrupted Government (which you can't comment on since you don't know anything about it)...

Sorry Dan, for all the respect I have for you, I have to tell you that you don't live and haven't been affected by everything that has been going on in Québec for the last 3½ months! The issues here are FAR bigger than just the students protest against the tuition hikes or the Bill 78, trust me. It'd take me hours to write as much as I'd like to here, but I won't since nobody would read it anyway.

Please just don't comment when you have no idea of everything that's been and is still going on...

w3bi.png

7ahl.pngZr.png1buy.png

eblo.png

So this is about the tuition hike crap? In general, most of Anonymous' causes are reasonably just, but I really don't care this time. I know it's a whole different situation up there, but I have little to no sympathy for the students getting upset over those hikes.

Personally, I don't know much about the student protests or the Bill 78, however, I think it's another example of anonymous attempting to bully people, without fully being involved in what they are 'fighting' for. It's a stupid idea to attempt to disrupt an event which can make so much money for an area, especially in this economic climate. It seems to show an incredible amount of idiocy, and shows how removed from reality anonymous are.

You can't judge AT ALL without being from here. Anonymous may not be doing things that are "right", but they have a noble, legit and a good goal behind this. Your paragraph almost really made me facepalm, it's all just so wrong...

Sorry Dan, for all the respect I have for you, I have to tell you that you don't live and haven't been affected by everything that has been going on in Québec for the last 3½ months! The issues here are FAR bigger than just the students protest against the tuition hikes or the Bill 78, trust me. It'd take me hours to write as much as I'd like to here, but I won't since nobody would read it anyway.

Please just don't comment when you have no idea of everything that's been and is still going on...

If you don't explain, then there is no point in commenting.

As I say, I don't know much about the Bill other than it apparently infringing rights.

Anonymous getting involved however, and targeting a large sporting event that can make millions for the region is what I can safely say is idiotic. From everything I have read, the protests sound quite similar to the London riots last summer. The province is riddled with debt due to the financial crisis which has hit the whole world. The tuition fees are the lowest in the country, and lower than many other countries. The Bill from my eyes (although not having the full information), seems quite logical, all except the dis-allowance of protests within 50m of a university. Giving notice of a protest is a common process here in the UK and has done no harm.

However, it isn't the protests, but the involvement of Anonymous which is the sticking point. They are attacking something which could greatly increase the money in the area, which is gravely needs. They are also threatening people who enjoy the sport. They do not seem to want to aid the protest, but do damage to those in power.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

So this is about the tuition hike crap? In general, most of Anonymous' causes are reasonably just, but I really don't care this time. I know it's a whole different situation up there, but I have little to no sympathy for the students getting upset over those hikes.

Why not? Serious question, students (at least in the US, not sure about Canada) don't usually have the capacity to pay for school in the first place, but due to society's "need' for you to have higher educations, have to take out loans, and tuition hikes only make it even worse.

That being said, I doubt a bunch of 14 year old kids jacking off to ponies can do anything about it.

You can't judge AT ALL without being from here. Your paragraph almost really made me facepalm, it's all just so wrong...

Anonymous may not be doing things that are "right", but they have a noble, legit and a great goal behind this. It's just ANOTHER way to put pressure on the corrupted Government (which you can't comment on since you don't know anything about it)...

So what exactly are these issues? What is this "great and noble cause"?

Reeks to me of first world entitlement and always has.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

These imbecile student hackers need to get a job and channel their love of sequentially arranged numbers and what not into something productive. Their paltry attempts to politicise their actions would be funny if they weren't so serious.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Why not? Serious question, students (at least in the US, not sure about Canada) don't usually have the capacity to pay for school in the first place, but due to society's "need' for you to have higher educations, have to take out loans, and tuition hikes only make it even worse.

Because

The tuition fees are the lowest in the country, and lower than many other countries.

I obviously never like the idea of raising the price of college tuition, but with the economy the way it is, it seems to me like an increase that needs to be made. Especially considering tuition is so low there. Perhaps the government could get that money from other places, I don't really know the entire economic situation in Canada. I just don't think it's that big of a deal, and the people protesting are a bit entitled.

Oh, and Quebec's provincial government debt is a paltry 250 billion dollars, so they definitely have room to be continuing their ridiculous over-subsidizing of post-secondary education :rolleyes:

polvCwJ.gif

Tuition prices in Quebec are lower than I have to pay here on the west side of Canada... and significantly too. I have never been a fan of the Quebec government and Quebec politics, but this is not the way to fix it.

Needless to say, this attempt is rather laughable, but as always it is interesting watching what people actually end up doing.

1.png
generic_signature.png

All told, I spend about $35,000 a year on education. Can anyone tell me why people act like entitled jerks? Why do people think they shouldn't have to pay for their own costs?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

All told, I spend about $35,000 a year on education. Can anyone tell me why people act like entitled jerks? Why do people think they shouldn't have to pay for their own costs?

If you feed a wild animal, it won't walk away happy, it will pester you for more. Basically what we're seeing here.

polvCwJ.gif

I lost all my sympathy when they decided that democracy means if they don't get what they want, they have the right to become violent until they get it, regardless of the majority. That other people (mostly students from across Canada) are getting in on it disgusts me. The icing on the cake is that the protesters block access to the schools (or they were), which means they were interfering with other peoples right to an education because they are throwing a hissy fit.

I have no time for people like that, and it saddens me that they are apparently form the same country that I am from.

I would expect nothing less of anonymous though, then championing this kind of cause. Seems right up their alley.

Shouldn't you be outraged that you're paying 35k/year rather than hating on people who pay less?

The Quebec students are fighting hard for every inch, they've been going at it for months and not giving in. If the gov had their way the prices would be higher but they know they can't [bleep] with the students - they'd never let them get away with it.

While students in other countries have bent over to paying ridiculous prices and are being trapped in an endless wheel of debt. You're the ones that should be up in arms doing something but you're not. If anything there's a lesson about spirit to be taken away from this. Maybe if you got angry a little more often you would actually change something.

2480+ total

Shouldn't you be outraged that you're paying 35k/year rather than hating on people who pay less?

The Quebec students are fighting hard for every inch, they've been going at it for months and not giving in. If the gov had their way the prices would be higher but they know they can't [bleep] with the students - they'd never let them get away with it.

While students in other countries have bent over to paying ridiculous prices and are being trapped in an endless wheel of debt. You're the ones that should be up in arms doing something but you're not. If anything there's a lesson about spirit to be taken away from this. Maybe if you got angry a little more often you would actually change something.

I guess you missed my post about the government being 250 billion in debt?

Really, it's a choice for the students. Pay more now and continue to get some subsidy, or continue to be over-subsidized until the government goes bankrupt and stops subsidizing completely.

polvCwJ.gif

I'm not hating on people who pay less. I'm hating on ungrateful douches that don't realize how good they've got it, and are taking their anger out on unrelated web pages to prove a point.

How about, man up and quit entitling yourself to other people's money. What the hell happened to responsibility, self reliability and independence? Throwing a tantrum because it costs a little bit more money to better yourself and increase your earning potential? Go get a job and quit being a lazy bum.

EDIT: you plural (faceless crowd), not you specifically (highlander). I apologize for any confusion.

♪♪ And I'm not done

I'm not hating on people who pay less. I'm hating on ungrateful douches that don't realize how good they've got it, and are taking their anger out on unrelated web pages to prove a point.

How about, man up and quit entitling yourself to other people's money. What the hell happened to responsibility, self reliability and independence? Throwing a tantrum because it costs a little bit more money to better yourself and increase your earning potential? Go get a job and quit being a lazy bum.

I don't even know where to start.

Just because you're okay with being ripped off doesn't mean everyone else should just bend over.

Also, while it's normal for Americans to spend 35k/year (I hope that's neither an undergrad degree nor lib arts), that's obnoxious everywhere else. Blame your government for preferring to spend your tax money on wars and armies than education or health care.

Just because you're okay with being ripped off doesn't mean everyone else should just bend over.

Also, while it's normal for Americans to spend 35k/year (I hope that's neither an undergrad degree nor lib arts), that's obnoxious everywhere else. Blame your government for preferring to spend your tax money on wars and armies than education or health care.

How do you justify forcing other people to pay for your education? Why do you deserve their money more than them?

♪♪ And I'm not done

How do you justify forcing other people to pay for your education? Why do you deserve their money more than them?

Except that I'm not forcing other people to pay for my education. Do you go to a private university?

Tuition prices in Quebec are lower than I have to pay here on the west side of Canada... and significantly too. I have never been a fan of the Quebec government and Quebec politics, but this is not the way to fix it.

Needless to say, this attempt is rather laughable, but as always it is interesting watching what people actually end up doing.

Yeah, I'm in New-Brunswick and I'm paying more for community college than they are paying for University (which is much higher than college here). N-B is right beside the Qc. Thing is, they might be paying more taxes than a good part of Canada, but they have a hell of a lot more services and subventions than the rest of Canada. You don't see $7 a day daycare centers anywhere else in Canada, let alone the world.

At least the computer science (actually networking and security now) here is unbeatable, only Ontario was able to beat my college's team in skills canada most of the competitions.

Except that I'm not forcing other people to pay for my education. Do you go to a private university?

Are people volunteering to pay? Do they choose to send a check in to the government? Where does tax payer money come from anyway?

♪♪ And I'm not done

Are people volunteering to pay? Do they choose to send a check in to the government? Where does tax payer money come from anyway?

Can you make an argument instead of inane questions?