E3 - 2012

PoorLepRecon

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Cheese and Wong's articles on gaming (Especially E3) with a grain of salt, personally. They don't seem to write more than "GUYS THIS IS EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH VIDEOGAMES". Wong's article last year drew some pretty silly conclusions out of the presentations that he wouldn't have made if he played any of the games he was talking about (Like being upset with all of the sequels... For games that are part of a series with the kind of story and gameplay that he'd been begging for in the past :wall: )

To be sure. It's their job to find something with E3 they can make fun of, and I doubt that the social aspect of WiiU will be the dickopolis that Cheese is writting about. I doubt he thinks that either, since exageration is generally part of his job. However, he is dead on that people who aren't my friends being able to message me, or even my friends being able to message me, would piss me off to no end. I wont add anyone on steam, because the first person who messages me while I am playing a game (which is the only possible reason I would be using the program), would get a prompt '[bleep] off and let me play my game in peace' followed by a prompt block.

I loathe being interupted while playing video games, which is part of why I only use skuype to talk to people. I can't see skype while gaming, so its not a problem (because I have a compulsion to check my messages).

And while I actually think Nintendoes controller could be kind of cool, that doesn't mitigate that fact that I could literally land my toy Shinnok helicopter on it. It's too big, and I don't like needing to let go of part of the controller to get to another part. With an xbox controller (the old one even), I can hit every button on it without taking my thumbs off the controller. Some of the buttons are getting palmed, or using other parts of the thumb, but it can be done. I can't hit every button at once, but I can get to all of them. And its comfy.

So I do think some of it was valid, at least for me.

I'd take Cheese and Wong's articles on gaming (Especially E3) with a grain of salt, personally. They don't seem to write more than "GUYS THIS IS EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH VIDEOGAMES". Wong's article last year drew some pretty silly conclusions out of the presentations that he wouldn't have made if he played any of the games he was talking about (Like being upset with all of the sequels... For games that are part of a series with the kind of story and gameplay that he'd been begging for in the past :wall: )

To be sure. It's their job to find something with E3 they can make fun of, and I doubt that the social aspect of WiiU will be the dickopolis that Cheese is writting about. I doubt he thinks that either, since exageration is generally part of his job. However, he is dead on that people who aren't my friends being able to message me, or even my friends being able to message me, would piss me off to no end. I wont add anyone on steam, because the first person who messages me while I am playing a game (which is the only possible reason I would be using the program), would get a prompt '[bleep] off and let me play my game in peace' followed by a prompt block.

I loathe being interupted while playing video games, which is part of why I only use skuype to talk to people. I can't see skype while gaming, so its not a problem (because I have a compulsion to check my messages).

And while I actually think Nintendoes controller could be kind of cool, that doesn't mitigate that fact that I could literally land my toy Shinnok helicopter on it. It's too big, and I don't like needing to let go of part of the controller to get to another part. With an xbox controller (the old one even), I can hit every button on it without taking my thumbs off the controller. Some of the buttons are getting palmed, or using other parts of the thumb, but it can be done. I can't hit every button at once, but I can get to all of them. And its comfy.

I know that Steam has an option to appear "Away" or "Busy" to friends so they can't message you. Those functions have existed since IMing got popular so I'd assume the same will be for the Wii U. Also, I don't think they'd be crazy enough to have a pop-up window appear while the game is playing. It'll probably be something like in Steam where a small box will appear in the corner saying you have a message, allowing you to answer whenever you feel like it.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

[hide]

I know that Steam has an option to appear "Away" or "Busy" to friends so they can't message you. Those functions have existed since IMing got popular so I'd assume the same will be for the Wii U. Also, I don't think they'd be crazy enough to have a pop-up window appear while the game is playing. It'll probably be something like in Steam where a small box will appear in the corner saying you have a message, allowing you to answer whenever you feel like it.

[/hide]

My understanding is that they actually are planning on having a pop up while playing. That's the problem. Though for me, any kind of indicator is game ruining, even if it were a freaking led taped to the side of the screen. For me, I do have a compulsion to check my messages as soon as I am aware of them, so I effectively force myself to stop and read it.

No point having friends in steam if I am never going to not be busy though lol. I would literally never use it to talk to anyone, because I would always be gaming.

I am weird though. Many people do enjoy that stuff, and that's cool. I'm just not one of them, and I will always naturally gravitate to the platform with the most isolation in that respect. In fact, I am still of the old school view that consoles shouldn't be online. 'The couch is the pinnacle of furniture technology because there is room for other people on it'. In my mind, its still if I want to play with other people online, I can do that on the computer. Now, I do enjoy mario kart online (wii is the only console I have with wireless, and so the only one with internet), but I resent [console] games that are designed for online multiplay, especially if there is no local multiplayer. I will not generally play games that were designed for their [online] multiplayer.

I guess at some level, I have a very compartmentalized way of looking at the world, and I don't like things that are in one compartment (consoles), and cross over into another (online multiplayer). It messes with my sense of the way things should be. A totally random second example is house layouts. I don't like floor plans where they are so open concept I don't know which room I am in. When I enter a house, my mind divides it up into rooms using queues in the design and furniture layout. It would bother me if there was say no divider between a kitchen and dining room. Now a divider can be anything from a little outcrop in the wall, going from tile to hardwood, two pillars, a bar. Maybe the dining room has 3 walls, the ends of two marking where it starts. But I need to be able to know what room I am standing in.

It's very weird, and not easy to describe. Even weirder, I don't really display any OCD tendancies that you might be thinking of (except when I eat. I have to chew equally between each side of my mouth, so I normally alternate with each bit which molars get to work at it).

And I think I'll stop there before everyone thinks I am crazier than the crazy cat lady...

>Checks if Valve is doing anything interesting

>If so, HL3?

>NOPE

>Another year it is

Gabe lied to us while rolling in his hot tub filled with money, the bastard.

HL3 better be so god damn amazing that it blows my mind, or they better release a new a box containing something like HL3, Team Fortress 3, and some other games.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

At this point, I don't think I even want a HL3. Considering how games that took a LONG time to create (Duke Nukem Forever, Too Human, etc...) ended up, I don't want the HL series to end up like that.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I also think people just stop all the damn half life 3 pandering,it's getting very old by now. No matter what happens when it comes out, if it comes out, it will be very disapointing for all the people who were asking for it. There are millions of other franchises and people still get their minds stuck on it.. urg.

So, what were your biggest surprises on this E3? For me it was watch dogs in terms of an actual reveal and Castlevania irrors of fate in terms of gameplay and visuals.

At this point, I don't think I even want a HL3. Considering how games that took a LONG time to create (Duke Nukem Forever, Too Human, etc...) ended up, I don't want the HL series to end up like that.

Mmm but the big problem with Duke Nukem's development was the nature of the beast (a game laden with pop culture references doesn't age well when it takes 2+yrs to push out) and being passed over to a bajillion different teams. In this case, it would have stayed with the same team, same company, with high standards of quality.

I also think people just stop all the damn half life 3 pandering,it's getting very old by now. No matter what happens when it comes out, if it comes out, it will be very disapointing for all the people who were asking for it. There are millions of other franchises and people still get their minds stuck on it.. urg.

Wut?

So, what were your biggest surprises on this E3? For me it was watch dogs in terms of an actual reveal and Castlevania irrors of fate in terms of gameplay and visuals.

I expected Ubisoft to perform, they're a good company and they make good games. What kind of shocked me was Sony ACTUALLY showing a good game that didn't draw on the LBP/Uncharted/Quantic Dream teat. Last of Us looks truly stellar and I have extremely high hopes for it. A post-apocalypic game that's not all about LOLZOMBAYS and also gives heavier emphasis on surviving and human life after the event? Sign me the [bleep] up.

hzvjpwS.gif

I wonder how people would be interpreting Nintendo's conference had they left the good stuff--Pikmin 3, for example--until last. It was a terrible conference, there's no getting away from it, but it could have been made "less bad".

The fact so much of E3 went down as 'casual gaming' I don't think is necessarily a bad thing either. Yes, it is true that the majority of those watching were what you'd crudely define as 'core gamers', but platform holders need to appeal to investors as well, and to do that, they need to sound professional and very profitable, hence the dreary sales talk. Only an idiot would use a stage as big as that to show off some new, fancy toys rather than focus on what brings in money so you can afford to develop those toys in the first place. Whether people want to accept it or not, Wii Fit and Sports made lots of money. No-one on this board, Zybez or RuneHQ will give a flying [bleep] about them, and nor should we, but it was a massive success story from a business perspective.

PS: This might have been mentioned before... I'm not trawling through 11 pages of knee-jerk reaction. But it can't have been just me who saw the Halo 4 playthrough and thought "Oh, hello Metroid Prime: Echoes" when MC picked up the light weapons and used the heat visor, can it? I honestly felt like I was meeting an old friend.

Snoop Dogg (well... his stage) in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-jnLTC_NE

In other news, Dead or Alive 5 is getting some Virtua Fighter characters, and the Collectors Edition will come with "Premium Sexy Costumes" for the girls.

umvc3_sig3.jpgTokiHakurei-SatellizerelBridget2.png

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0