Tip.It Times - 3rd June 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Great articles this week, the distraction text is my thoughts put on paper! But what can you do? Great minds think alike.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

In response to the first article, I fail to see how combat skills will go to 120 because of the SoF, if anything, we need more lp boosts, due to the increased dps (To quote Jagex: Increased slayer rates) PvP will certainly be interesting...

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Well, I have to disagree with TS Stormrage. TSS comes across as Chicken Licken. The sky is not going to fall in. SoF is not the end of the world.

It's 30 seconds out of your life. It's an opportunity for newer players to gain enough levels to compete with veterans. One of the downsides of having such a long running game, with long standing players, is that as a new player, you cannot compete. You can't give PvP a go and be successful, you can't PvM any decent monsters, you can't buy the resources to level quickly. SoF is really only beneficial to newer players. The lifeblood of RS is it's players, but if newer players can't be found, the game will sink quicker than the Bismark. At best, it's churlish to deny a newer player the opportunity to compete, at worst it's the kind of elitism that leads to fundamentalism. "YOU can't gain a level through a lamp, You have to go grind, just like I DID". "As it was, so shall it be". Life evolves, so should our game. Try looking at Sof through the eyes of a new player, it might surprise you.

Sees_all1, I'm one of the players that will give the new beta a go. I'm looking forward to it. Not that I think my input will make any earth shattering changes, just that I want to be part of this exciting change. (I might even submit an artical about my experience ;-) ) It's fine to anticipate the possible changes, but it's a little too soon to raise the issue of update quitters.

So far, so Jagex bashing. :wall:

The Floating Pen, I'm really enjoying your pieces. You've pointed out my playing style too, lol. I'd write more about this, only I have a date with Bert. :P

Cultjunky.png

Sees_all1, I'm one of the players that will give the new beta a go. I'm looking forward to it. Not that I think my input will make any earth shattering changes, just that I want to be part of this exciting change. (I might even submit an artical about my experience ;-) ) It's fine to anticipate the possible changes, but it's a little too soon to raise the issue of update quitters.

So far, so Jagex bashing. :wall:

That's why I called it cynical. :mrgreen:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

First article seemed like a rant as to why TS Stormrage quit (if he did). If i wanted to read a rant on why some one quit, i would be using the RSOF. Second article was a bunch of questions of the beta and some possible outcomes, really nothing new there. Last article was by far the best. I started playing that way, but i found it to be too much like doing chores, so i stop. I am now doing what i want on the game like you should be doing.

P.S Thanks for having the articles out faster than normal.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

There is one major flaw in their whole SoF thing. You need to actually let people win the rare rewards if you want people to buy spins.

When was the last time you heard of anyone winning 10M or a lucky spirit shield or something? Even people who buy 200+ spins don[t win anything useful at all. It's a domino effect because players hear about the amount of spins people buy but don't win anything, so they don't buy spins either. I've spent hundreds on korean MMOs that were RNG based to improve equipment. Why did I buy? Because it was actually possible to improve your gear. From what I've seen the SoF has worse RNG for winning rare items than any korean MMO out there.

Personally, this makes me not buy any spins because you'll lose anyway.

In response to the first article:

I don't really see any reason to doubt the validity of the 90% statistic. In fact, it would seem to me that the number should be higher than that. As to ending my subscription as a message to Jagex, I instead decided to protest the SoF by swelling the ranks of the 10% (now approaching two months squeel free ;) ). I do still enjoy some parts of the game, and do not think it is worth it to deprive myself of that just to show my disapproval of the SoF. Unfortunately, that may be the necessary action, but one I'm not currently willing to take.

Second article seemed to me only to offer up some questions to think about in regards to the Beta, we'll have to wait until it comes out to see the answers.

Third article I liked a lot, especially:

If you feel that they are becoming chores, I would advise you to stop doing them.

This is my reasoning behind ignoring most dailies/D&D's. Even though they are efficient in terms of xp/hr, it took me a great deal of effort to actually bring myself to complete them, and so I decided that if I wanted farming xp, I'd plant trees, and if I wanted cash, I'd make money. For that reason, I no longer continue with a hybrid between the two in herb farming.

For SoF, I thought most agreed it's not so much gambling but buying xp. There's a predictable result of 750 spins in relation to the xp you'll get. This does not excuse SoF, but don't try to use the gambling addiction argument.

The distractions article was very good and applies to my play style. The weekly events can fill a few hours on the weekend while the daily chores of Jack of all Trades and battlestaffs give a decent reason to log in for a few minutes at least.

And the 'did you know' is something I did not know. Guess I'll be putting it to use later.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

So, (I know you’re eager to know) my date with Bert went very well. I’ll defo be seeing him tomorrow.

But back to TFP’s piece.

Yes, the daily collections do dictate how many players play. It’s not all bad though. The daily sand, seaweed and battle staves has upped my crafting and magic without me thinking. Other players will get herb upped without the effort of grinding, or cash. Add to that the free runes in combo with the wicked hood, and my RC is looking a bit OK now.

I guess it’s about how you view your RS characters. Does your character do the daily stuff, to be able to afford the fun things? Mmmm, remind me again why I go to work!

Or is your RS character a complete distraction from the real world? In that case, why do the dailies, or grind, or aim for a cape that really just signifies how many hours you haven’t spent outside the house?

Perhaps the deeper question about the dailies is about how an individual views the game and life. Does putting X amount of game time into achieving a 99 equate to how much effort an individual will put into college? Does doing dailies reflect a working player’s sense of commitment to; paying the mortgage, doing the 9-5, no matter how repetitive it gets?

Does the way YOU play Runescape reflect how you live your real life?

I’d love to say NO! But…I’ve got another date with Bert. ;)

Oh, and work on Tuesday night. :(

Cultjunky.png

I too enjoyed TFP's article (I'll probably read the others later tonight). I used to be like you are now, and then I started to feel that it was like doing virtual chores. Right now, I am not wealthy, but I have enough money to cover most of my spur of the moment choices. As long as I don't try to bankroll a skill, or super fancy armour, I am normally able to manage a net increase in wealth with the kingdom alone (which is getting seriously neglected with my self imposed exile to the new rc thingy).

For me, the game is just an escape now, and an old habbit, and I play it strictly for fun. This is why I don't farm, or merchant. I am not willing to have my virtual life interupted by tasks that I don't want to do right then and there, so I find other ways to make my money. Slower ways that work into whatever it is I am doing, and I train slowly and cheeply, or just stick mostly to the free skills, and I plod along putting free xp to the skills I dislike as the fancy takes me (or the random). Every once in a blue moon, I even put my statue together. I've build my statue 3 times since it was released (and the rate is slowing down).

I exist in runescape for my own enjoyment, mostly, and to continue to be part of the comunity. I would like to get back into the circus though, and maybe its time to leave the runespan for a while and tend to a few things before I go back in (like mothballing the kingdom until I'm ready for it).

@cultjunky: You bring up great points, and I would like to explore them more. Do you think I could have permission to write an article about those thoughts if I choose to do so?

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. :)

Absolutely!

I look forward to it. :thumbsup:

What is Tip.it and the Times for, if not to explore issue around the game we love?

Cultjunky.png

In response to the first article:

In the latest RuneCast video, Mod Mark made it very clear that Jagex does not plan to up any other skills to 120. I do not doubt they keep this promise. That bit of info makes your doomsday scenario... illogical.

f6oIa.png

Also, I really don't get the big fuss about SoF. If you really don't like it, just don't use it. I agree that Jagex should dial down the in your face advertisements, but I will still always use my spins because I enjoy free stuff. I don't really care if others buy them to get ahead, because I only care about how MY player does, as should everyone else. I understand being involved in the community, but if people really want to buy levels, let them. Focus only on your own goals and achievements.

I agree with Ace. Regarding SoF, I don't really care what other people do and whether they lose out because they use real life cash to level up in the game. I am happy with my completion cape and knowing that it was due to hard work and determination. I think the problem comes from the fact that people want to be recognized for their achievements, and want to stand out from the crowd. SoF has really opened my eyes into how others feel if / when Jagex releases micro-transactions into the game.

I have never, ever been looking forward to an update more than the combat system rework. There were many updates in the past where Jagex had injected large amounts of pre-release hype (Bot Nuke, return of free trade) but this update is overshadowing those. I think it's because of the recent videos they have released showing some of the new combat system in action. Can't wait :P

Rscomplete.png

SOF: Great article by Ts Stormrage! Somehow manages to make doom and gloom humorous. Basically, more-recent-than-not history says to be skeptical ... :|

NRS: Change *can* be good. But! I am skeptical. See above. If only they could let people use the new system AND the old system ... Action bars and whatnot are already so many places... Good or bad? Don't know..

Plus: Can you imagine what it would be like to have balanced melee? That would be really exciting to see people actively wielding maces and daggers and short swords and warhammers and halberds! If they do rebalance things so that every piece somehow outranks everything else, wow! I never even thought of this part of the update! Wouldn't it be neat if the best strategy to boss or duel was to take in all the melee weapons since you weren't sure what might happen? So much variety and potential! Amazing! Great that you brought this up!

HD: Good article. Good thing about it is that you don't have to do them if you don't want to. If you do, great! If you don't, don't! Options!

I really do agree they get a bit distracting!

more related articles: http://open.tip.it/times/view/459-do-you-mind-being-distracted http://www.tip.it/runescape/?times=204

The first article as other have said read like a RSOF rant - perhaps very slightly better researched and marginally better written. I'm fed up with doomsday articles by people who seem to be still playing - I notice Ts Stormrage still has an active adventures log and was runespanning only yesterday, I see he hasn't taken his own advice to quit yet.

The other articles were much better I particularly liked the D&D one - the combat beta one brings up some interesting points as well. I have to admit being a bit aprehensive about the results of the changes on RS's combat system.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

The first article as other have said read like a RSOF rant - perhaps very slightly better researched and marginally better written. I'm fed up with doomsday articles by people who seem to be still playing - I notice Ts Stormrage still has an active adventures log and was runespanning only yesterday, I see he hasn't taken his own advice to quit yet.

I don't think that Stormrage wants to quit, and I think everyone agrees on the core of it - jagex has ignored all sof feedback.

@Ambler: Every skill going up to 120 would sell a lot more lamps spins, wouldn't you agree? I had hoped it was implied that they'll probably do combat skills first, to make the transition of other skill to 120 go down more easily...

@cultjunky: I think you meant Chicken Little.

But you're right. The SoF isnt the end. It's just a change that a LOT of people don't want to see because it's every more obvious which way the game is evolving. 30 seconds or not, it's still an ad, and I don't want to see that crap on P2P, ever. Also your argument that this boosts new players through the lower levels is also flawed, as this is a game that doesn't have unlimited levels, and ever higher equipment, meaning that, when you have hit the ceiling, everyone else starts to catch up.

You then go on to asume that I am some kind of fundamental-elitist that I want everyone to play the game I started playing in 2001 or something. I'll go and ignore that bit of gibberish as you have probably not looked at my levels. For someone who has been playing as long as I have, and the only achievement cape gotten is the Quest cape, I'm the LAST one who can be blamed for wanting the game the way it was in 2006...

@darthaddict: Rant or not, if my point is valid, I can write it out in whatever manner I see fit. Clearly you do NOT read the RSOF, because my article is quite eloquent in comparisson to some of the other 10k posts made by people expressing and explaining their massive dislike for the SoF.

And No, I have not quit :) (not yet anyways)

@Lep1423: Very good point, one I addressed in my article of two months ago :) Then again, the wheel on F2P seems rather a lot more inclined to give you said valuable members object, than the wheel on P2P...

@Deaths Near: you are one of the few who are willing to put up with X-ing that thing away every time you enter a new world, and I commend you for it. I can fully admit that I don't have the mental stamina to do that every single damn time.

@NukeMarine: I agree that the SoF is actually dangerously close to RWT, and that is probably the worst feature of it. I wanted to point out in this article, however, how gambling addiction patterns are abused to get people to actually buy spins. When you see everything end-to-end, it pretty much expains why there almost hasn't been a week without the update to the SoF, and that is the attempt to play on people's senstivity towards gambling.

@Aceethan: In an article here a few lines were editted (removed) stating very clearly that Jagex still objected to micro transactions. This editting was done a mere 4 or 5 days before the buyable spins were introduced (I mentioned this in the article). Believe it or not, but Mod Mark is probably also just taking orders... Far-fetched? Maybe... Illogical? Probably not...

Free stuff, exactly, that is exactly the reason why 90% (let's asume it's a real statistic) spin what they can... But Jagex is using everyone that spins their free things to implement ever more ways to get us to buy stuff...

@RS_Completed (and Aceethan as well): Not caring what the rest of the community does is what got us in this micro transaction quagmire in the first place. This is still a Multiplayer game, even though it has stopped feeling like that in 2008. Not caring is what happened in MapleStory, and that is now solely played by people who buy their way up the ladder. Is this where you want RS to go as well?

@deskjethp: Glad you liked it, but I was trying to be serious :S Only did the humor bit in it to make it slightly less rant-ish... Oh well :\

@Cheat: Ok you guys have got to re-define your definition of a rant, because in my eyes that is an un-researched, un-eloquent heap of literal or verbal diarhea... And my article was far from that... Yes, I may seem angry and even bitter when you read the article, but so far, I've had good reason for it...

Once again; I'm not predicting the end of RS... I'm predicting the end of RS as the vast majority of the community knows and likes it, even though its a gradual process... If you call that a Doomsday article, then just about every single critical reaction to an update is a Doomsday response...

@brunokiller: Spot on.

Yes, I still play RS, because I hope for the best, and have up until a few weeks ago been able to ignore the aspects of RS I didn't like... But the ad-like nature of the SoF is changing that...

But as a writer of these articles, I feel it is my responsability to share any insights I have with regards to the game, especially since I've been around this little barbeque for a while and can see where we've been... I'll leave the happy-go-lucky articles to my fellow writers who aren't as "skeptical" as I am...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

@cultjunky:

You then go on to asume that I am some kind of fundamental-elitist that I want everyone to play the game I started playing in 2001 or something. I'll go and ignore that bit of gibberish as you have probably not looked at my levels. For someone who has been playing as long as I have, and the only achievement cape gotten is the Quest cape, I'm the LAST one who can be blamed for wanting the game the way it was in 2006...

As it goes, I haven't looked at your levels. However, I don't believe that is relevant. So please, don't ignore my gibberish, read it again, this time carefully looking for the phrase where I accuse YOU of fundamental elitism.

At best, it's churlish to deny a newer player the opportunity to compete, at worst it's the kind of elitism that leads to fundamentalism.

If this is the sentence you're referring to, you should bear in mind that it is not about you, as an individual, but about the concept of a benefit to newer players. I have made no assumptions about you as an individual.

I appreciate that there has been some negative responses towards your article, this can't be an easy thing to receive. However, the tone of your article, makes it appear that you have a deep hatred of SoF. That would be an irrational hatred. Just relax, no-one is having a go at you, just the article. Try not to be so defensive. It makes you seem like a Diva. Not cool Dude.

Cultjunky.png

My bad, then... But your response went from criticising my article to criticising a type of people... Not hard to see why I made the mistake there that it was directed at me :)

As for the hatred towards the SoF, you're not exactly right... Yes I hate it, but only because I know what it represents... My fear is that too few people know this with me...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

@Aceethan: In an article here a few lines were editted (removed) stating very clearly that Jagex still objected to micro transactions. This editting was done a mere 4 or 5 days before the buyable spins were introduced (I mentioned this in the article). Believe it or not, but Mod Mark is probably also just taking orders... Far-fetched? Maybe... Illogical? Probably not...

So the the thing you dislike about SoF is that it is a form of microtransactions, and Jagex has said they don't deal with that kind of thing, thus making Jagex liars when it comes to this? I admit, I also find it annoying that a company lies to me, but really, its not like this is a huge problem. Its not like Jagex lies all the time about a whole bunch of stuff. Are your efforts against Jagex just a means of getting them to say "Okay, we admit it, buying spins is a microtransaction."? In the end, its Jagex's dishonesty problem, not anyone else's. I stand by my remarks that everyone should just focus on their own game and achievements. If someone else is getting higher levels faster thanks to a shady deal with Jagex, then they have every right to do that. I personnally wouldn't be happy buying my levels, and I really could care less if someone else wants to.

If Mod Mark is just taking orders, then I except that to be what is going to happen. Jagex has very rarely said "We won't do this, PERIOD," and then gone back and done it anyway.

The first article was not written like a coherent logical disagreement with the SoF. It had good sourcing on data, but the tone comes across as violent and agressively angry, drawing conclusions that make little sense.

I do agree that the Mad May adverts should not have appeared to anyone currently subscribed... We already know, so shut up, Jagex!

I think the real problem with the SoF is buyable spins leads to predictable xp rates. I don't mind the SoF generally, and free spins are perfectly fine because everyone gets them. Yes it is annoying that he doesn't even fit into the backstory of the game but not so bad.

I hate that Jagex lied and changed their mind but I'm sure its not an individual Mod's decision and they have to stand by what the company says. I hate that spins can be bought for XP and that is the only real reward worth paying for.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Ugh! This is for TS Stormrage and his rant against the SoF, why can't you give it a rest? The SoF is not that bad. I actually don't mind the SoF at all, it is harmless fun as I am not forced to buy spins and as such don't care about those who do choose to buy them. If they really, really want that limited time outfit, goodie for them. I play this game for fun and for me the SoF is harmless, it doesnt interfer with my having fun, so I don't care that it's here to stay. It does not poison the game for me, JaGex is company and ALL companies primary mission is to make money. If people are stupid enough to give them money for something that is actually free, that is their business. The game is not going to die over the SoF buy spins feature. Nor is it going to die simply over an update that makes people mad because its not what THEY want the company to be doing. I refuse to believe half the posts about the SoF, both good and bad, as people can make multiple accounts and thus can haunt the forums as "many" individuals while actually being only 1 person in reality. The figures both for and against the SoF are therefore unrealiable and not to be trusted at all. I can only base my opinion on my own experience with the SoF and I like it and since I play this game for myself and to have fun, I am enjoying all the changes they are making. Only I can make anything I do in game matter, what others are doing does not make or break the game for me. I am sick of people whining about one or two small things that actually only affect the game if THEY let it affect the game for them. Why can't people just enjoy the game and play for fun instead of ranks and huge coinage? And stop hating on the company just because the next update is about something you don't like.

P.S. I was highly annoyed by the Mad May adverts, but fortunately I did not let it stop me from enjoying the game.

"Oh I love God, he's so deliciously evil!" ~Stewie, Family Guy

"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am" ~Captain Blackbeard

"If it ain't fun, yer doin' it wrong" ~Pirates vs Ninjas Clan Motto