Saradomin_Mage

06-June-2012 : Fish Flingers Improvements + Squeal of Neptune

You all realize Jagex might pull a fast one and reintroduce these fish masks to the Squeal at some point in the future? They dolled up the Squeal with the "Neptune" theme; they probably won't just throw it away to never be used again. Who's to say there won't be another update that would fit such a theme?

To me, it seems more likely that they will introduce something similar to the fish mask - a different species of fish, or a different color, or a different shape. That way they can build on the theme and keep people coming back for more. Eventually players will be able to 'collect' an entire set of masks.

And so dawns the age of microtransaction players. :unsure:

Brace yourselves.

You're a bit late to the party. Microtransactions have been a valid business model for years now.

crossed_body.png

Everyone is of course assuming one day a large number of people will want a random discontinued item that looks eeriely similar to that of a giant bird with diarhea pooped on their head.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

Brace yourselves.

It is worse than the Miniclip generation...

Far worse...

Feels bad for being part of the miniclip generation. :lol:

And microtransition players have been around since the buy spins button, wasn't there someone who spent a few thousand on some 99s?

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

It wouldn't surprise me if they made it hideous on purpose, such that when they track its trading history for future SoF item marketing, they know almost for certain that people are buying it solely because of its status, and not its cosmetics.

77yLQy8.png

You're a bit late to the party. Microtransactions have been a valid business model for years now.

In Runescape.*

Now I'm starting to wonder just how many of the complaints have to do with elitism :-|

Has to do with player mindset. People who are ok with buying spins and think the SoF isn't placed there just to be a cashgrab.

If people want to waste money on something as laughable as the SoF, it's their loss.

Brace yourselves.

It is worse than the Miniclip generation...

Far worse...

RS wouldn't have hit the golden age as fast as it did (and kept it for as long as it did) without the # boom that the oh-so hated "miniclip generation" had brought.

Haters going to hate.

hzvjpwS.gif

fishmask-07083912.png

This is ugly as hell lmao

trap.jpg

Pretty accurate description of the SoF tbh.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10

99 Defense since 3/14/11 99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11

99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11 99 Prayer since 11/15/11

99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14

99 Fishing since 2/4/14 99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14

99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14 99 Fletching since 11/11/14

99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

to be honest i would so buy an admiral akbar mask. so much cooler

the SoF is mildly annoying but not that big of a deal for me. it is hard to say no to free stuff, but to be honest this is pretty close to that threshold.

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

I just got a fish mask, am I now financially set for life?

No. You earned 3M.

w3bi.png

7ahl.pngZr.png1buy.png

eblo.png

No. You earned 3M.

WAT

Rares went up for a number of reasons.

1.) No new items are coming in.

2.) players get banned who have them (stakers who RWT and get caught, scammers who steal them and get banned)

3.) people quit.

4.) people lose or destroy them.

The fish mask will start going up in price once it is actually discontinued. For now, it is still dropping.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

No. You earned 3M.

WAT

Rares went up for a number of reasons.

1.) No new items are coming in.

2.) players get banned who have them (stakers who RWT and get caught, scammers who steal them and get banned)

3.) people quit.

4.) people lose or destroy them.

The fish mask will start going up in price once it is actually discontinued. For now, it is still dropping.

Plus we have no clue how rare the mask really is, and how many will come into the game. After the month is up, who knows, they may be so common that they never really become valuable. I mean, a santa is a rare, and what, its worth 80m?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I'm guessing they won't really become a legit rare. I seem to recall Jagex stating they would never make a discontinued item again, but then again that was pretty much a different company.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

I have to say I don't quite understand why people are upset about that, or rather, why they're more upset than before. I don't like the SoF either, but this isn't worse than what they've already done. So while this annoys me (I'd really like to have a news post without the mention of the freaking SoF), it's not *that* big of a deal either...

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am on all this. I still enjoy the game, never was much of one for merching anyway, so this update doesn't have a huge impact on my playstyle. Not a huge fan, but not gonna ragequit cause of it either. I'll just keep on quietly skilling in the background...

I do love the FF update, btw. Though I think it definitely could've used some better bug-testing before being released.

Oh, and...

... We're slowly being eased into and conditioned for these business practices to be acceptable. Basically, anything they can make a profit on in this game, they will, now that they have a sly way to do it. Even if partyhats were super-ultra-mega-whatever rare, it would still boost SOF sales. And that's what they want.

Andrews Jagex would never have pulled stunts like this. But sadly, this is IVPs Jagex. All bets are off.

Long-term, I dont expect this game to last another 5-10 years. So I take these player projections re: the Fish Face with a grain of salt. Who will be playing in 5-10 years that would be interested in buying them?

As for me, Ill still be clicking the X on the little green skinned bastard son of Gerhard every time I log in. YMMV.

(emphasis mine)

Entering the 2nd Year of the Boycott

Wat

(I get that you can go F2P as a form of boycott, but it wouldn't be very effective, and it kinda ruins the "Time Saved" bit of that siggy if you're still playing at all.)

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

(I get that you can go F2P as a form of boycott, but it wouldn't be very effective, and it kinda ruins the "Time Saved" bit of that siggy if you're still playing at all.)

I don't think that's how boycotts work... :???:

I don't think that's how boycotts work... :???:

Your new RSN is awesome.

Anyway, speaking of boycotts just about all my 'oldest' RS friends have quit over this. These are people who have played since classic, and many of them have been members for many consecutive years. One of them is maxed and was a dual-mod before Jagex decided to strip her of her titles for speaking her mind in the hidden forums about the Wheel of Greed. It wasn't the wheel itself that caused them to quit. It was how Jagex has shoe-horned this crap into every single update since it came out, and the "new rare" is the last straw.

td2sig.jpg

Bought a mask. I actually think it looks hilarious and I like the bubbles.

yay, the cancer has finally entered stage 4.

I like this analogy.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

yay, the cancer has finally entered stage 4.

I like this analogy.

As someone who recognizes the serious nature of cancer, I don't like the over the top and frankly immature analogies the RuneScape community is prone to making. Why not make a hitler reference while you're at it? "oh man hiding from Jagex's cash shop, now I know how Anne Frank felt."

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

could be the anti-SoF theme song.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

No. You earned 3M.

Until tomorrow when it will have dropped even further.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...