Why has RuneScape turned into just making money?

iSharkMan

I personally hate how this game has turned into people only doing things because they give a high amount of coins per hour and won't do another activity because it doesn't give enough coins per hour. I though that the whole point of RuneScape and gaming was to have fun. Doing the same thing over, and over again isn't my idea of fun. I don't know if people agree with me on this, but it is only my opinion...

I'm not looking for any argument here, but if you don't agree please tell me why. =)

How exactly is doing the 'fun' non-meta games activities any less doing the same thing over and over? If anything they involving doing it more because they are worse xp:hr or worse gp:hr meaning you have to do them for longer to achieve the same goal.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Some players enjoy doing the same things over and over. I hated grinding out construction, but love doing runespan all day. All boils down to the individual person.

Personally I've found more enjoyment lately spending money than making money. I used to care about saving and saving my money, but now I don't care anymore and just spend it on skilling supplies.

I enjoy doing things that give high(est) XP/hr and working on skills. :P.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

How exactly is doing the 'fun' non-meta games activities any less doing the same thing over and over? If anything they involving doing it more because they are worse xp:hr or worse gp:hr meaning you have to do them for longer to achieve the same goal.

Because the fun game activities are less repetitive (due to their nature of being time sensitive and therefor broken up so it appears less monotonous) and that he finds them more enjoyable than the "fast" methods.

--

It isn't fun for you, but it happens to be fun for a lot of people. For example, I don't enjoy performing the metagaming xp/gp and xp/hr activities, but I have a *huge* amount of enjoyment from figuring these meta game aspects out. (For example using statistics to determine how much a +2 accuracy boost from steadfasts helps)

Just because its not fun for you doesn't mean others have to dislike it. Start some topics about stuff you enjoy :) There are lots of people who enjoy metagaming on this site, but I would love to see more interest in other aspects of the game :)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

No people who play to have fun won't be doing any activity over and over, they infact will be switching around doing other things that may not even get them any xp or gp.

Because the fun game activities are less repetitive (due to their nature of being time sensitive and therefor broken up so it appears less monotonous) and that he finds them more enjoyable than the "fast" methods.

--

It isn't fun for you, but it happens to be fun for a lot of people. For example, I don't enjoy performing the metagaming xp/gp and xp/hr activities, but I have a *huge* amount of enjoyment from figuring these meta game aspects out. (For example using statistics to determine how much a +2 accuracy boost from steadfasts helps)

Just because its not fun for you doesn't mean others have to dislike it. Start some topics about stuff you enjoy :) There are lots of people who enjoy metagaming on this site, but I would love to see more interest in other aspects of the game :)

I do agree that other people obviously enjoy it, but its starting to look like the majority of people do it (even if they don't enjoy it) and you're right, I too would like to see people showing interest in other aspects into other activities because I wish to join them. =D

People are entirely independant and do things because they want to. Especially on RS were you aren't really bound by family expectations or whatever. Some people enjoy doing things that produce large amounts of gp/hr and some don't. I personnaly disagree with your generalization of what everyone is up to but equally even if they are presumably they are doing it because they enjoy it or it is some kind of deferred gratification whereby it will allow them to do something they find fun. Personally when it comes to training skills such as mining or fishing or even making gp I do like to do the fastest/most efficient method because they are activities I don't enjoy but they do allow me to do things I do enjoy like Slayer, Questing or playing minigames better.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

And some people want the rush and gratification of completing certain things, like lv99 in skills they don't find "enjoyable" but they create delayed gratification in the anticipation of achieving goals. Runescape is often a goal based system for players, and we do lots of things that aren't fun in the moment because we want ranks, xp, and levels.

Just because we aren't doing whats "fun right now" doesn't mean we aren't having fun.

Serena_Sedai.png

No people who play to have fun won't be doing any activity over and over, they infact will be switching around doing other things that may not even get them any xp or gp.

Yes you will do things over and over in the long run and again there is nothing meaning you HAVE to do everything in big blocks to do the best methods.

You can just as easily do 1 large dg then go spend 30 mins hunting and then go and do some slayer whether you use the top methods or not.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yes you will do things over and over in the long run and again there is nothing meaning you HAVE to do everything in big blocks to do the best methods.

You can just as easily do 1 large dg then go spend 30 mins hunting and then go and do some slayer whether you use the top methods or not.

I don't agree with the fact they we will be doing things over and over in the long run but I do agree with what you said that people can do the best methods but switch around the skills, although to me it doesn't seem that people do this.

I don't agree with the fact they we will be doing things over and over in the long run but I do agree with what you said that people can do the best methods but switch around the skills, although to me it doesn't seem that people do this.

Some people don't do this because it becomes less optimal to go to bank and change setups by a little margin. I do tend to do some things in batches, but its easier to focus on one activity at a time than it is to keep "juggling" the stuff I could do. However, its easier to juggle things like fish flingers, statue rocks, penguins, etc. These events have their own ending time determined for the current play period (1 week, done after 30 mins for pengs, etc) That helps make it easier to automatically swap to a new ingame activity.

Serena_Sedai.png

Some people don't do this because it becomes less optimal to go to bank and change setups by a little margin. I do tend to do some things in batches, but its easier to focus on one activity at a time than it is to keep "juggling" the stuff I could do. However, its easier to juggle things like fish flingers, statue rocks, penguins, etc. These events have their own ending time determined for the current play period (1 week, done after 30 mins for pengs, etc) That helps make it easier to automatically swap to a new ingame activity.

That's fair enough, I'm sure that how people do things is down to personal preference, but I just sometimes think that people are just trying to get the most gold they can but obtaining it as if they are doing a chore (like grinding levels) and they only do it because they feel they have too. I mainly just wanted to know people views on this. :)

Thank you.

I don't care if others are only willing to do the things that give the best exp/gp per hour ratio.

The problems comes when they make fun of others just because they don't get the best xp/gp per hour.

Here you're implying that it's impossible to have fun doing the same thing for hours - that may be true for you, but not for everyone. For example I had a lot of fun getting 99 farming last year, even though it was basically running in circles for four months.

*shrug* I don't do much with the active objective of making money, I just do what I enjoy and often make gp from it. I tend to hate grinding, so I don't really do that or feel pressured into doing that.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Good job, post in GD and not want argument rofl.

People have different ideas of fun, obviously. Some people like making money.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Making money has always been a big part of the game. Hell even moreso in RS1 because we didn't have skill capes or anything like that, there was less focus on leveling so lots of people just spent their time making money to buy rares and such. Although the whole mainstream metagaming and efficiency part of it came later.

It is a valid complaint though. There are games where in order to get the best weapons/armour and such you need to complete various challenges. So your gear is determined by your lvl and personal skill rather than by how much money you got. Unfortunately RS isn't one of those games. Well there are a couple of items like that eg rhino cape.

2480+ total

It's called delayed gratification. I will do this task, which I consider completely brain-destroying, for two hours. Afterwards, I shall have fun of my own choosing for four hours, with my shiny new piece of equipment!

Also, a large part of it has to do with the sense of accomplishment/progress. Sure, hanging out at the Duel Arena or Castle Wars all day might be more fun than picking herbs and grinding out Green Dragons, but I always have this feeling of stagnation at the Duel Arena/Castle Wars/whatever it may be.

Making money is the best way to beat the game, mostly because the more you have the faster you level your skills.

But the people I play with, we play to have fun.

Jacariah.png

sig3nt.png

Doing the same thing over, and over again isn't my idea of fun. I don't know if people agree with me on this, but it is only my opinion...

Your blog is all about how you're skilling farming to level 99. <_<

I assume that you're having fun with it.