The Crew Wants You! - CLOSED

I recall, I think correctly, that one may have two positions at once, right? So my EP status would not be affected by my applying and receiving/not receiving a position in the crew...

Doing it. :shades: Application time!

I applied too, so there should be no harm in it. :rolleyes:

It's certainly not a problem for TMHT or Editorial members to apply for crew (or mod, when they come up) positions. It's kind of nice for us actually because we already have a sense of how you guys work in a team setting and what not. So apply away :)

It's certainly not a problem for TMHT or Editorial members to apply for crew (or mod, when they come up) positions. It's kind of nice for us actually because we already have a sense of how you guys work in a team setting and what not. So apply away :)

Ooooh, Randox getting all admin-y already. :ohnoes:

Indeed, I've learned so much while being a part of the crew, and also made some great friends. Keep those applications coming! :thumbup:

And we all know how long YOU'VE been around. Gosh you must know so so much by now. Oh wait, you do! :o

But seriously, best of luck to all the applicants! Keep the application coming.

Don't feel you're not cut out for this whether it be you feel you're not smart enough, not old enough, not young enough, not experienced enough, blah blah blah. Take your chances and send us your app to look at. Worst case, you aren't selected when application date arrives and you apply next year.

No matter whether a user or a crewbie, the crew wants crewbies but users play just as critical as role in keeping the content up to date :P

Looking forward to reading more and more apps!

- Speedyshel

Website Updates and Corrections

c15800d76c.png

*..It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not..*

Guest jrhairychest

Is there a point to advertising this generally? Tipit already has a theme of staff they want (mostly female, early twenties or lower, part of a clique etc.). Why not just pm people directly if you think they're suitable for the website staff as it'll stop anyone else wasting their time applying who don't fit in with the tipit theme.

Is there a point to advertising this generally? Tipit already has a theme of staff they want (mostly female, early twenties or lower, part of a clique etc.). Why not just pm people directly if you think they're suitable for the website staff as it'll stop anyone else wasting their time applying who don't fit in with the tipit theme.

We do PM people directly when we think they're suitable. But it's more difficult than you think to find people who are interested in the position. Recruitment drives allow us to find a lot of people who WANT to be part of the crew, which is already great. From there we can review their qualifications. If someone wants to be part of the crew, applying won't be a waste of time. If they think it is a waste of time, then they don't want to be on crew that badly anyway.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Tipit already has a theme of staff they want (mostly female, early twenties or lower, part of a clique etc.).

Wat

Yeah also this. We don't care about gender and the only time we'd consider age is if we think someone is too young. Otherwise it's not taken into consideration.

We'd appreciate it if you didn't make rude assumptions.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

For what it's worth, we've had younger staff members join the team before, provided they show a good level of maturity.

Good luck everyone! :) Come help this old lady (bwahaahahaaahaaa) and her fellow Crewbies an awesome site for everyone to enjoy! XD

Tipit already has a theme of staff they want (mostly female, early twenties or lower, part of a clique etc.).

Wat

The age thing makes sense, that's pretty much the site's main demographic. It also looks like most of the staff is male, it's just that the women are very good at what they do... :razz:

Good luck to those who apply :thumbup:

Guest jrhairychest

Wat

Yeah also this. We don't care about gender and the only time we'd consider age is if we think someone is too young. Otherwise it's not taken into consideration.

There's no rude assumptions. The staff list is freely available where the information is. There's obviously a theme with tipit and the staff it picks. It isn't incidental as you've picked them. I've had enough pm's with you yourself Tripsis, as well as other staff, on tipit to know how the system operates.

All I'm saying is why bother advertising when you already know what you want and if someone doesn't fit in with that why encourage them to waste their time?

There's no rude assumptions. The staff list is freely available where the information is. There's obviously a theme with tipit and the staff it picks. It isn't incidental as you've picked them. I've had enough pm's with you yourself Tripsis, as well as other staff, on tipit to know how the system operates.

All I'm saying is why bother advertising when you already know what you want and if someone doesn't fit in with that why encourage them to waste their time?

There may or may not be a trend in the past in terms of who was hired. Either way, any recurring trend is purely coincidental simply because there is no "system" we operate under. Administrators and staff alike have better things to do with their time than sit around and discriminate against applicants based on variables that have absolutely nothing to do with the hiring process, except, as tripsis mentioned, when a young age is very evident in an application to the point where the applicant is not really suitable for a staff position. Considering our userbase and the userbase of the game we support is made up mostly of people under the age of twenty-five, it is obvious we will often come across potential staff members who fall into that category. This in no way means that we do not hire people who do not fall into that demographic. In addition, we actually have very few applicants who apply and identify themselves as being over the age of twenty-five.

I have been directly involved in the Crew hiring process since our very first recruitment drive in 2009 and I can assure you there is absolutely no "system" or "quota" or anything ridiculous that needs to be fulfilled here in terms of staff members. Any trend in who ends up on staff is purely coincidental. Pointing out that Tip.It has had more female staff members than male staff members is as irrelevant as pointing out that Jagex was founded by three males.

Not everything is a conspiracy. We don't have time for that kind of nonsense.

EDIT: As a bonus tidbit, the position of Crew Leader has actually been held by more males than females, although the numbers are close enough to say it has been fairly equal.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Wat

You're right. The information is freely available. And if you even looked at it, you'd notice that your point about "staff being mostly female" is completely wrong. The crew is comprised of mostly males (something like 15:3 males to females). Why is that? Because the gaming community in general is dominated by males. Many of our staff members are under the age of 25 or so. Why is that? Because RuneScape caters mostly to teens and young adults. Older people do play but they do not make up the majority. We have certainly had a lot of older staff members, and by older I mean 45 or 50+. As Cowman said, any 'trends' are a complete result of the statistics that make up the gaming community, since that's where we're drawing our staff members from. And the gaming community does tend to be mostly young males. And we don't even consider cliques. We don't care who's friends with who. We care about qualifications.

I have never once suggested that we operate by using qualifications such as gender, age, or "cliques." So it is definitely rude for you to say otherwise. You are making assumptions. The truth is you have no idea how Tip.It operates because you've never been part of the staff. Anything you say is based on your own biased observations because you've made it clear on several occasions that you don't like how Tip.It works. But our operations have nothing to do with age, gender, or friendships. We have a fan site to run, guides to release, and databases to update. We care about people who have the time and skills to make that happen. We have to seek out people who are knowledgeable about the game, are skilled guide writers, and/or have coding qualifications that can benefit Tip.It. Those people don't just knock on our door so we need recruitment drives to seek them out.

So yes, your completely baseless comments are unappreciated and are not welcome in this topic. If you don't want to apply for crew, that's fine. But there's no need to post rude and baseless accusations.

Posted Image

I wasn't aware of any selection methods based on gender and age. :unsure:

I am a male of unknown age. (I hide my personal information.) I was never asked about my age.

Anyway, I have only been part of the Editorial Panel for a very short amount of time, but I would definitely recommend it to those who are interested or aiming for such a spot. Don't be intimidated, there is nothing scary about it. I've only been met with nothing but kindness and awesome people. :thumbup: Good luck, everyone! We'll accept you if you display merit, we honestly don't care if you're male or female, old or young (with sufficient maturity), etc.

For kicks and giggles I went through all the staffs' profiles and counted up genders:

[hide=my counts]

Admins

Male 1234

Female 12

Unknown 1234

Mods

M 123

F 12

U

Global Mods

M 1234

F

U

Super Mods

M 123

F 1

U 1

Monster Hunt

M 123456789 10

F 1

U 12

Crew

M 12345

F 12

U 123456789

EP

M 123456789 10 11

F 1234

U 12

[/hide]

40 Males, 12 Females, 18 Not Telling. Even if everyone who isn't disclosing their gender was female there still wouldn't be more girls than guys on staff.

Age would take longer to count up but I can tell you it'll still be pretty random.

Looking forward to seeing the results and welcoming the new Crewbies! mebbe i'll be one

I'd encourage anyone who applies to thoroughly research how much time this commitment takes, and how much support they'll receive in the new role. I don't mean "Facebook/PM me if you have any problems", I mean find out how many people are working in your division of the Crew, their skillsets and whether their workload is so up to their eyeballs in their own projects that they won't reasonably be able to lend a hand when it matters. I know some staff members won't like me saying that, but that tidbit of advice really is as basic as it gets, and is relevant to just about any job application, voluntary or otherwise. Would you jump head first into a paid job with no idea how many hours/what working conditions you'll have to grapple with, while having to work around all of life's other commitments? Of course you wouldn't. On that, it was noticeable that the OP said "somewhat" of a commitment, which isn't exactly what I'd describe as specific.

Don't be afraid to ask questions either. There's eight empty vacancies, at least. In a team as relatively small as the Crew, that's significant. Why have they been left empty? It might be because of a recent expansion in the team, it might also be because of withdrawn labour. Why did people leave those posts in the first place? It might be because they didn't enjoy the work, but it might be because of more personal reasons, like they wanted to focus on other things, and the Crew didn't fit around that change. The onus is on you to find out.

I've seen some people fall absolutely in love with being part of the Tip.It Crew. I've also seen many more people burn out.

That said, good luck to all that apply, sincerely.

I'd encourage anyone who applies to thoroughly research how much time this commitment takes, and how much support they'll receive in the new role. I don't mean "Facebook/PM me if you have any problems", I mean find out how many people are working in your division of the Crew, their skillsets and whether their workload is so up to their eyeballs in their own projects that they won't reasonably be able to lend a hand when it matters. I know some staff members won't like me saying that, but that tidbit of advice really is as basic as it gets, and is relevant to just about any job application, voluntary or otherwise. Would you jump head first into a paid job with no idea how many hours/what working conditions you'll have to grapple with, while having to work around all of life's other commitments? Of course you wouldn't. On that, it was noticeable that the OP said "somewhat" of a commitment, which isn't exactly what I'd describe as specific.

Don't be afraid to ask questions either. There's eight empty vacancies, at least. In a team as relatively small as the Crew, that's significant. Why have they been left empty? It might be because of a recent expansion in the team, it might also be because of withdrawn labour. Why did people leave those posts in the first place? It might be because they didn't enjoy the work, but it might be because of more personal reasons, like they wanted to focus on other things, and the Crew didn't fit around that change. The onus is on you to find out.

I've seen some people fall absolutely in love with being part of the Tip.It Crew. I've also seen many more people burn out.

That said, good luck to all that apply, sincerely.

This post just made me experience euphoria; :thumbsup:

The recruitment drive is now closed! Many thanks to everyone who took the time to write and send in applications, we are absolutely delighted with the amount of enthusiasm the community has with helping the website. The crew will be making final decisions in the next few days and you will receive inbox messages shortly with our decisions. If you receive no PM after one week, don't hesitate to send me a message. Once again, thanks to all who applied!

Happy Friday :)

~Wmx

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!