New skill at the end of 2013

Kaur

Put an ETA on a skill, but have no concept/dev done at all?

Gonna have less concept/dev time than summoning at that rate lol, what a tease.

I'm waiting for some fanboy to remind you about Jagex's disclaimer on estimates and release dates... OOPS! Guess I'm that fanboy :P.

@pui: Yeah I think even on 10x smaller grid system it would be immensely different. I would really enjoy seeing that, but one problem might be recalculating monster melee/ mags distances. I would like to see this in the very near future and would welcome it well as part of their Combat Update V2.

Did they mention what they think of that idea?

Gods I hope they don't do that lol. Would most likely make me stop playing...

So there will be a 4 year gap inbetween skills? Just pathetic.

I know, Jagex should just put all their development time and resources into constantly churning out skills regardless of how shit they are! /sarcasm

Sylpheed.png

I know, Jagex should just put all their development time and resources into constantly churning out skills regardless of how shit they are! /sarcasm

Like this is totes true! If they were all smart like you suggest we could have like 99 hair brushing, 120 digging, 99 banking, 120 talking...[fifty meaningless skills later] annnd 99 sailing of course! [/sarcasm]

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm not bothered that it's been a long time since the last skill, what I am bothered about is that they don't even seem to have come up with a proper concept for a new skill, yet still took all this time to "improve" all the skills which were seriously out-dated. Runecrafting probably being the only one to see an actual improvement over the last couple of years and Combat in my view seeing too many too fast, so what do we get this year? A combat re-work. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad thing, combat in it's current system is at it's end, it can't go any further without something drastic being done, which gladly is. BUT, we've seen barely any improvements for our existing skills that serve real purpose. Is it really that hard to come up with a few ideas to make certain skills more worthwhile and rewarding again?

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

I'm not bothered that it's been a long time since the last skill, what I am bothered about is that they don't even seem to have come up with a proper concept for a new skill, yet still took all this time to "improve" all the skills which were seriously out-dated. Runecrafting probably being the only one to see an actual improvement over the last couple of years and Combat in my view seeing too many too fast, so what do we get this year? A combat re-work. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad thing, combat in it's current system is at it's end, it can't go any further without something drastic being done, which gladly is. BUT, we've seen barely any improvements for our existing skills that serve real purpose. Is it really that hard to come up with a few ideas to make certain skills more worthwhile and rewarding again?

The issue is very simple; Not every skill can be the "best". When one thing becomes more useful or better it supplants the other skills in terms of money/respect/whatever currency you want to use. Yes I would like to see skill improvements, however there will always be discrepancy in each skill's usefulness.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

What are you talking about? Almost every skill has seen some improvement in the past few yearrs.

Combat: Chaotics, Overloads, new armor (Nex, Gano), Curses, massive overhaul in like 3 months

Runecrafting: Runespan

Construction: Not much, construction garb I guess

Agility: Advanced courses, Flash powder factory (was later nerfed)

Herblore: Overloads, prayer renewals

Thieving: Monkey knife fighters

Crafting: Royal Dhides (new tier of dragonhide)

Fletching: Not much

Hunter: Herblore habitat

Mining: Living rock caverns, Lava flow

Smithing: Artisan's workshop

Fishing: Living rock caverns, c2 fishing, fish flingers

Cooking: Rocktails/cavefish

Firemaking: Curly roots, bonfires

Woodcutting: Not much

Farming: A few new crops (morchella mushrooms), Herblore habitat

Summoning: Not much

A few skills haven't been massively updated, but I'd say the majority of them have received their share of updates.

What are you talking about? Almost every skill has seen some improvement in the past few yearrs.

Combat: Chaotics, Overloads, new armor (Nex, Gano), Curses, massive overhaul in like 3 months

A few skills haven't been massively updated, but I'd say the majority of them have received their share of updates.

Most of those are not actually any meaningful updates. They merely reduce the grinding and make skills easier to train, they don't actually introduce any meaningful high level content. There are exceptions to this of course, such as herblore, which they did indeed do a great job at(Overloads, Extremes, Flasks etc.).

Another announcement of an announcement, I like it :) lol seriously though, I don't why people are complaining about this being so far into the future... He was just answering their question, it's not like this is a front-page announcement on the RS homepage.

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Most of those are not actually any meaningful updates. They merely reduce the grinding and make skills easier to train, they don't actually introduce any meaningful high level content. There are exceptions to this of course, such as herblore, which they did indeed do a great job at(Overloads, Extremes, Flasks etc.).

I disagree. Most of the things he listed are very good updates. Construction garb is not game changing, but Juju potions were a huge boost for farming. Monkey Knife fighters wasn't that big true. But a lot of skills that didn't have much have had huge impact. Which specifically are you referring to? Maybe its because you as a player didn't like their impact.

Serena_Sedai.png

I disagree. Most of the things he listed are very good updates. Construction garb is not game changing, but Juju potions were a huge boost for farming. Monkey Knife fighters wasn't that big true. But a lot of skills that didn't have much have had huge impact. Which specifically are you referring to? Maybe its because you as a player didn't like their impact.

Yeah... the smithing update really flipped the whole skill on its head. /sarcasm

Most of these updates didn't actually change much, they just gave new ways to train. That's not improving a skill, that's improving the leveling of the skill. That's not what I want. I want smithing (my favorite skill, if you couldn't guess), to be what it used to be. It used to be the space-race of RS; it used to be the most amazingly involved and competitive skill around. Now? Now it's a skill you train to get a respected cape and the ability to make some armor if you ever want to downgrade to F2P. Beyond that? Not really that much (read: not much that is very influential on the game. Take away most elements of smithing minus the cannonballs, and, as a member, you wouldn't be hurt that much).

Please prove me wrong. I'd love to be wrong in this case, I really would be. At least FM bonfires help boost other stats and helps a good deal with being social and other skills.

Farming, Fishing, Herblore and Crafting are the only ones I see out of your list that have seen decent updates, but they are still not innovative ideas, mostly just higher level items to gather or easier/more AFKable ways to train.

I just think skilling in general is in need of a re-work or some new, creative ideas before combat personally. Most people get to certain skill levels just to make their stats look decent, not for any other gain or enjoyment.

Mining & Smithing - Untradeable armour you can only make yourself with special abilities - Gives people something to look forward to and thrive for in the skills

Fishing - Sooo many minigames could be made for this skill that could be fun and team-based

Woodcutting - use it along with fletching/construction for useful untradeable tools/devices

There's loads of possibilities for the skills we currently have to get us looking forward to things in skills, they did REALLY well with Herblore/Farming with the Overloads and Herblore Habitat updates, more of these kind of updates please :)

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

It also depends on what you consider to be a 'meaningful update'. I consider pretty much all of those to be meaningful.

Also, high level content isn't the only kind of content that matters - I think it gets more than it's fair share of focus on a regular basis. I'm sure I'm biased there, since I can't use much of the 'high-level content' in the game (yet), but that just proves my point - there are players who don't really benefit from high-level content, and so there needs to be updates that aren't geared towards maxed and nearly-maxed players.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Smithing was one on the list I missed that wasn't very good overall.

However, compared to 3-4 years ago, almost all the skills are a lot better now. Yes many could still see improvements. But the issue with more untradable high-level stuff roots back to creating yet more "requirements" for combat or other stuff. I wouldn't mind higher level crossover between skills (similar to overloads for combat from herblore) but apply them to other skills.

Serena_Sedai.png

Because THAT statement is LOGICALLY the one that should be inferred. Sigh. Don't use logical fallacies.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

If you look at all the replies to my post, you'll notice that some people values updates differently. One update can be ground breaking to someone and useless to someone else. It's just a matter of perspective.

Yes some skills are further behind than others, but you can't say that skills have been neglected.

If you look at all the replies to my post, you'll notice that some people values updates differently. One update can be ground breaking to someone and useless to someone else. It's just a matter of perspective.

Yes some skills are further behind than others, but you can't say that skills have been neglected.

Part of the problem is that the updates tend to be very small and come very slowly, though it's a trend that they've started to avert with their combat overhaul. Hopefully we see that kind of thing for other skills.

Because THAT statement is LOGICALLY the one that should be inferred. Sigh. Don't use logical fallacies.

And there's totally no such thing as sarcasm. >.>

Part of the problem is that the updates tend to be very small and come very slowly, though it's a trend that they've started to avert with their combat overhaul. Hopefully we see that kind of thing for other skills.

I think I'd rather have it be relatively small and frequent updates with the occasional clunker than the other way around... takes too long to adjust after the clunkers that have such a big impact on the game.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

New skill is already out:

Spinning

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Smithing was one on the list I missed that wasn't very good overall.

However, compared to 3-4 years ago, almost all the skills are a lot better now. Yes many could still see improvements. But the issue with more untradable high-level stuff roots back to creating yet more "requirements" for combat or other stuff. I wouldn't mind higher level crossover between skills (similar to overloads for combat from herblore) but apply them to other skills.

I think in due time we will see those crossover ideas come down. I feel jagex is pounded with so many concepts from workers and players alike. The issue is I think the people who design the game all have a view of the game and they want to put in those ideas and concepts without changing their vision. Another thing that comes to mind is that they might only be able to work on certain aspects of the game and don't want to stretch themselves thin in keeping everything together (although some can argue they can't do that even now).

I think my biggest fear, if you can call it that, is that jagex might never pull everything together as make it all work effectively together. As far as I can remember runescape has always been somewhat like a collage of ideas handed down over a plethora of game designers. I've never really felt that jagex had a concrete system or at least that all their ideas worked together t a desirable degree of efficiency. While that does make runescape very much so unique and somewhat unpredictable I feel that the combat beta might test some of ther ability to tie together all the combat stuff that's underused or ignored (butterfly jars being an example).

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I know, right!

There has been not a single good suggestion in years for a new skill.

/sarcasm