June 30th, 2012 - Third time's the charm?

Ren

You know, I wonder if the solution to all this was simply to have those 2.3k people on RuneScape right now to log off, and things get fixed again. XD (One can dream!)

Anyone interested (with access to RSC) just type in "Runescape classic" on the runescape wiki at Runescape.com. Scroll down until you see "Classic 1/2/3" highlighted. They are links to the classic servers.

EDIT: Obat, tell Yafi to change name to Mgt Ramo.

553VriC.png?1

Classic! Woo!

I think I've logged into RSC like four times in my 8 years of playing.

Now if only we could get access to FCs in Classic...

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I just logged onto RSC, apparently I still have access despite being away for 400+ days. It managed to keep my interest for a few minutes before I left. That aside, this server crash is simply annoying, that's all, I will survive(assuming there are no major roll-backs).

Heh, I opened a clue casket right before the server crashed. I got a Yew comp, Willow Comp and Rune Plate.

Now when I got back in after crash, the server rolled back to the final step of my clue. Opened a casket, got Phoenix lair teleports, Rune legs and Rune B'Axe.

Cool respin on my casket! Shame both sucked though.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Heh, I opened a clue casket right before the server crashed. I got a Yew comp, Willow Comp and Rune Plate.

Now when I got back in after crash, the server rolled back to the final step of my clue. Opened a casket, got Phoenix lair teleports, Rune legs and Rune B'Axe.

Cool respin on my casket! Shame both sucked though.

I guess that confirms the debate about whether the rewards are randomized when you get the clue, or when you solve the last one (if people were still wondering that).

Having worked as a sysadmin I've seen this kind of thing happen firsthand. One of the biggest things you learn is that no matter how hard you try to make sure everything is perfect, something WILL break. I can't speak on how well Jagex's datacenters are planned and what their server architecture looks like, but servers do go down and issues happen. Usually with proper planning and redundancy most issues won't even be noticeable to the end user and they'll have no idea that anything happened. Take VMs for example, you have 3 servers running a bunch of VMs running on them. If on server goes down the other servers will recognize that and pick up all of the VMs running on the down server so quickly that most users won't even notice a service interruption of more than a few seconds if at all.

That being said though, there are issues that are just totally beyond your control. Power goes out at the datacenter for several hours, you're going to have downtime. ISP fails and you have no outbound internet connection, you're going to have downtime. It's just part of running a computer system with a lot of servers. Jagex actually is known for switching ISPs if they have significant issues with them though, they have on serveral occasions dropped an ISP and picked up a different one on short notice because of issues with downtime.

However, I do think that Jagex has some issues on their side too. I really don't like the lack of redundancy between the login servers. Each login server supports a specific number of accounts and there's no backup for them. If one goes down, anyone assigned to that login server can't login. It's just a really dumb system. How hard can it possibly be to build in some sort of redundancy between them. Also, the login servers treat all accounts as logged in unless they get a logout request from the game world that the account was logged into. This is just really bad programming IMO. Every one of the login servers should be able to keep track of the status of all the game worlds and be able to unlock accounts if they lose connection to a game world for more than x minutes. The current system where they wait for the game world to come up again before unlocking the accounts of everyone who was on it is just silly.

There are some issues that are beyond Jagex's control, but some of their own design decisions are questionable at best and really just seem like poor design choices.

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

On RuneScape, I'm fishing.

However IRL, I'd find new skills to learn and help me be a more employable and useful person overall. Life would be much more richer if I just didn't have the internet, in all honesty.

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

I was fishing when it went down. And then I took a nap, because it was down.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Summer weather is awful. I spent a little over $1,000 this year to finally enjoy nice weather (bikes & kayaks) but it just isn't worth it in summer. Humidity, extreme heat and exhaustion are ridiculous. Anyone who wants to be outside in 30+ degree (celcius), humid weather has problems. Being inside for the majority of summer is the best way to go. Spring, Fall and Winter are the best months of the year. Spring and Fall for doing everything you want to outside being the weather is BEAUTIFUL is ideal. And winter is an awesome season for many reasons. Anyone who likes summer more than winter has problems. /100% true facts

Seriously, I hate summer. I work in it all day every day and it sucks. Can't enjoy this crap weather. Would be nice if some good video games were released during summer. <_<

Lep, I think it depends on where you live. Here, summer is usually pretty mild, though it can be sweltering. The difference is that in fall, it gets to rainy and wet to do the summer activities. Winter is overall just.. dreary here. But I do agree I much prefer fall/spring over summer. And I do enjoy winter, just for different reasons.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Summer weather is awful. I spent a little over $1,000 this year to finally enjoy nice weather (bikes & kayaks) but it just isn't worth it in summer. Humidity, extreme heat and exhaustion are ridiculous. Anyone who wants to be outside in 30+ degree (celcius), humid weather has problems. Being inside for the majority of summer is the best way to go. Spring, Fall and Winter are the best months of the year. Spring and Fall for doing everything you want to outside being the weather is BEAUTIFUL is ideal. And winter is an awesome season for many reasons. Anyone who likes summer more than winter has problems. /100% true facts

Seriously, I hate summer. I work in it all day every day and it sucks. Can't enjoy this crap weather. Would be nice if some good video games were released during summer. <_<

>30 degrees translates to 86 F

>canada

>hot

7/10

5wfn6o.jpg

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

>30 degrees translates to 86 F

>canada

>hot

7/10

5wfn6o.jpg

Needs to be a "like" button on Tip.it. :thumbup: (Though when it's 30+ degrees it's almost humid every single time here)