Behind the Scenes � July

Howlin0001

@^: WTF

Yeah, I like the idea of a duo slayer update, but I don't know how it'll work in practice. It could be worthwhile for the duo-only rewards, it could double your slayer points per hour (by cutting task time in half, assuming you do get normal slayer points along with the duo-only points), but it could also cut the time of nice XP-bearing tasks in half. So, I'm not sure I'll use it a lot, but at the least it offers a different method of training for Slayer, which is desperately needed. I like skills having multiple viable methods of training, and Slayer has thus far only had one, so adding another - even if I'm not gonna use it all the time - is nice.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I like the quest. The duo slayer is totally meh as far as I am concerned, since I have no particular reason to slay anymore unless I go insane and decide I want 90 or something. I do like a good game party though, especially if they can get something out that is fun to play around with after the fact, even if its something simple like that dance floor from the Halloween event. I also smell more cheep promotions for the stupid wheel, looks like we are up to a weekly schedule now and its not going to change. Kind of pathetic, but whatever.

I suspect some people might be right too, that they don't try as hard in the winter. The biggest stuff seems to be released in the late spring, probably because they get to hype it all up during the start of the year, and then during the rest of the year we hope for more. The second best time of year is probably October, and not just because of the Halloween events. I think we we're a little late on the big update (beta) this year though, I feel like May is supposed to be the big month, not June. We might however still be on track for an October release of the Beta going live for real, which would fit into the pattern I just made up based on some vague memories :thumbsup:

Wonder if block lists will work for both? If so, a permanent duo could have double the blocked tasks, leaving more desireable and exp rich tasks for both of them. :-?

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

To be honest, I would like to see a bigger range of colours for hair and more hair styles, as well as some more clothes for general makeovers. =X

New quest feels a bit underwhelming for some reason. Hope it brings surprises! :)

Gielenor games: well, fitting considering the Olympics are coming up.

10-Year-Veteran Cape: I'm well into my 11th year of RuneScape so... XD

Duo Slayer: Should be fun. :D I can definitely see people going to DKs together more to finish dagannoth tasks. Tons of cannons for aberrant spectres woo...! XD

SoF: :< As if we don't have enough costume pieces and cosmetic items to worry about. Inb4new"rare"item.

The quest seems underwhelming, but I'll probably still enjoy it.

I probably won't like the duo slayer task thing cuz I absolutely hate slaying with other people.

10 year cape is cool because I'll be able to see when I started.

The rest of the month is pretty meaningless to me.

It's going to take the rest of RuneScape a long time to finish that quest.

RockyHorror.jpg

But in just seven days, I can make you a man.

wat

Also, double block list seems ingenious.

The quest... the whole making a dungeon thing for your friends to traverse could be interesting. Also interested in the additional rewards part of it. Can't really say from just the BTS.

Duo slayer seems like nice update, even if I probably wouldn't use it even if I ever worked on my task lol.

10 year is interesting.

Not sure about the Gielinor games. Some of it seems dumb tho - how accurate do I punch stuff! Sorry, save that for the people who like to record accuracy and stuff. (Incidentally I usually appreciate what they do.) Honestly, it seems like it's just a bigger holiday event, and I've stopped caring about those.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

How do you know if you have been playing for 10 years? I can't remember how long I've been playing for. I've been a p-mod since 2006 and I've definitely been playing a few years longer than that.

howlin1eeveesig.png

How do you know if you have been playing for 10 years? I can't remember how long I've been playing for. I've been a p-mod since September 2006 and I've definitely been playing a few years longer than that.

Well, if you've had continued membership the whole time, one post on the forums will tell you when you first became a member (though that is a bit jeopardizing for your account security). Otherwise, it's guesswork.

I've been playing for roughly eight years, and I'll look forward to when I can get a 10-year cape.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Duo slayer could end up being better exp/hr if the block lists cross over and/or if you can partner with low slayer levels to avoid getting additional slow tasks (97 slayer wouldn't have to block ganodermic beasts if they partner with someone who is 75 slayer)

If the system works that way I could feasibly see high level players paying low levels to "duo" with them and not attack to constantly get good tasks while avoiding bad ones. The lowbie would pick up drops and carry alchs as well so for them its more profit and the high level doesn't waste time on drops

#speculation

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Assuming that one person doesn't actually have to do anything I could see people using spare accounts, getting them to the requirement to block the max amount of tasks and then just using them to start duo tasks with your main account for the added block list.(Assuming that's how it works)

jagerbluebt1.gif

Thx to MxM for parts of the sig!

That would be... awesome.

As for the 10yrs, it depends on when they started tracking account creation date. I've been playing since before members, so definitely 10yrs. I really hope that 10yr cape is awesome cause I want it to look cool and have a good emote.

I hope that duo is awesome for people who legitimately duo tasks, but they have some system to minimize/prevent/(incentivize people to not) abuse it to have double the skips. (Though I would defintely use it if it becomes "allowed") (<3 skipping additional tasks that I don't want)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I like the idea of social slayer, the wait is for the execution of that.

New quest, always good.

10 year cape, good that it's here, not for me.

Gielinor Games, doesn't sound that interesting.

No updates relevant to levelling in this month, it seems. I can't imagine social slayer being faster than solo slayer, since I doubt there will be extra blocks for duos.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

New quest - Probably the best part of the month. Third quest in 7 months?

Gielenor games: "Holiday" type of events are always fun...

10-Year-Veteran Cape: Not gonna get it on my current account, hope they make it f2p so I can at least get it on my oldest one...

Duo Slayer: Will help lower levels gain their slayer helmet faster I guess. Great boost for e-daters. Nothing for me I'm afraid.

SoF: Long Hair.

The cape:

34dgzeh.png

You know, they did say the cape was going to be dark red, and I highly doubt they're going to re-use the designs from the 5 year cape. That's just tacky.

10 year cape: Yes!

Quest sounds good in theory, let's see how well the writing, etc. is done for it.

Social slayer will probably be ignored by me, unless the duo rewards wind up being amazing. Also, I would need to acquire friend(s).

Everything else is meh.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

News flash: Some people actually have friends.

Having friends? What kind of Runescaper are you?

Unspam: Seems like it'll also appeal to the whole "This is a bullshit task, let's get it done as quickly as we can" mentality as well. Might make those less painful :-P

If that's the design of the 10 year cape, it looks nice. Got another 3 years until I can claim it myself though.

The quest is going to be good, if only because it's an end to quest-withdrawals. Hopefully it's not another short/filler one.

Would it really have killed the skill if they shared exp per kill? It's kind of frustrating. I understand they need to innovate but an update like this would have brought slayer on par with other skill leveling rates. I realize that some slaying purists might not be happy with something like that because of "devaluing" the skill, but it's really what party combat is all about. If I were to dust off my cynical pants, I'd say they didnt' want to offer specifically this feature because they didn't want to give illegal RWT'ing another outlet for revenue when they can capitalize on it themselves...But I'll take my tinfoil hat off for now.

tldr: y u no party system

hzvjpwS.gif

I believe there is supposed to be something coming with the beta to up the speed of slayer a bit, so I expect they are waiting for that. Assuming Jagex forsees the shared block list and finds a way to prevent it, this will actually slow slayer down a bit by increasing time spent getting tasks and preparing for a new task (especially once beta is released and customizing your entire setup becomes more important) rather than being on task killing people.

There is also an issue of crowding. As it stands now, I find most good slayer locations handle odd numbers of people best. Many spots are 2 or 3, but there are also 5 person areas. I find 4 person spots to be very rare indeed, and this update would seem to be grouping people into 2/4/6 which might become annoying until the new combat system gives them reason to re-balance these areas for different size groups (and with current activity, they aren't even going to get the data they need to do so because there probably aren't enough people slaying in beta).

I can see duo slayer being used when you meet a random person on a shit task and you two decide to team up for that one task. Actually coordinating your play time with a friend is pretty arduous. If they made it so that you both need to get the task at the slayer master at the same time then I see the usefulness and opportunities to use this go way down.

2480+ total

I can see duo slayer being used when you meet a random person on a shit task and you two decide to team up for that one task. Actually coordinating your play time with a friend is pretty arduous. If they made it so that you both need to get the task at the slayer master at the same time then I see the usefulness and opportunities to use this go way down.

They might be counting on this to prevent people from making combined block lists, which is pretty reasonable. If two people are willing to put up with that kind of chore, then let them have their bigger ban list.