Runescape. My Views

DarkstarTHC

10 years ago...I still remember the first time I logged into Runescape. I created my character and I got stuck on tutorial island, thus forcing me to create a new account minutes later. I finished the tutorial and appeared in Lumbridge..the feeling I got was remarkable it was like the first day at school or when you unwrapped a Super NES on christmas and the excitement of taking it out of the box, setting it up, and playing it for the first time was almost overwhelming.

(Short Story)

After getting lost and travelling for a few minutes I found myself in Varrock. I had started to noticed that some players look more "elite" than others and sure enough a good amount of gp would make that possible. I asked a player I believe he was level 80 as for the name I can't remember all of it. I asked him, "how can I make money and be awesome like you?" Well the response I got didn't really seem that awesome to me, but little did I know that would seal my fate as a runescape player for years to come. He said, " Finish the rune mysteries quest so that you can mine rune essence and I will pay you 5gp per essence." Well I did just that, receiving bonuses and extra cash here and there I made my first 100k working for him, but that was the last time I'd ever work for someone.

Every day I'd look forward to playing runescape, but the day eventually came when I was no longer getting that excitement or joy like I used to. Then I discovered P2P! This was amazing, so many possibilities for only $5 a month. I logged out and purchased my membership. As I was logging back in I got that same overwhelming excitement I got the first time I played runescape.

Fast forward a few years...this will jump around a bit

The wild took a hit after hit after hit....Causing thousands to quit

Free Trade was removed....Causing thousands to quit

Pvp worlds were released...some players came back, realized how terrible of an idea this was...thousands quit

The updates of RS are out of control. I used to think of Runescape and World of Warcraft as two seperate games. Now when I play RS it feels like I crossed into Warcraft. I recently logged back into runescape after 3 years..Can you guess what happened? There was no excitement I wasn't astonished by anything...the evolution of combat? A joke. There's so much unneeded material added to this game constantly Jagex should either slow down their releases to every couple of months or just stop updating.

They have a counter almost 200m players registered since the start...How many of them still ACTIVELY play? I remember when on a given day there'd be 500k+ players on at a time...Those days are long gone. Maybe they should count how many players have gone inactive for over a year...it would probably be more than half the counter.

The reason I wrote this is because I want the readers to try and remember the excitement they used to get from playing Runescape. If you don't get that excitement anymore, why do you still play? What makes you keep coming back? If you still get excited when you play tell me why. I will get more enjoyment reading anything you all post than continuing to play RS.

Brian>Darkstar Thc>PvM Brian

Excitement through exploration is long gone for me in terms of Runescape... until they release a new area.

This happens with all games. If I started playing WoW now, I would have the same "Oh my gosh, this world is so huge and there's so many things to see and do" feeling like i did when I started Runescape.

I loved Diablo... until I completed the storyline. The same happened with Minecraft, but that game is different as people can make endless amounts of new areas. I still get excited over gaining things i didn't have before. I'll feel really proud once I achieve my top endgame goals. Games run their course and once you lose interest, it's time to move on. That's how i see it.

Another way I like to look at something is how the journey is a reward in itself, along with the experiences you gain through the journey. If you don't find Runescape enjoyable even after trying to get back into it, you probably won't get back into it.

I'll never get the same excitement of exploring like I did at the start, but I find it in new games instead. I've never quit Runescape, but I have taken breaks or had some periods where I haven't played as frequently, but I enjoy the game for what it is and the direction they are taking it (to an extent, some updates I would like to see removed).

I think the reason people quit is because of extreme familiarity with the game (aka boredom). Everyone started out this way (being noob and lost), regardless of what guides you used (or didn't use). This feeling eventually dies off as you learn more about the game and its meta-game. I used to make new characters, but I realised that it wasn't the same anymore, it's starting from afresh with the knowledge firmly embedded inside.

As of the combat update - I have mixed feelings, but I am confident that it will be a good move for Runescape. I have in fact tested it out and it still doesn't feel like other MMOs, except the skill bar which is already a cliche.

Frequent updates - I think that Runescape actually NEEDS regular updates due to its grindiness, for lack of a better word. Of course some updates are controversial (wilderness removal) and some are just downright shit (SoF), but I still appreciate that they put updates almost every fortnight at least, if to just take the grind off for a bit.

I agree with both of you. Even though the game is distancing itself from its past the experiences & memories will always be there..someones first whip pk or their first god armor from a treasure trail...popping a balloon and seeing a party hat...the memories are endless.

I can safely say that Runescape isn't just a game anymore. Its a tool that has crafted & molded many minds, young & old. Helping players realize that there are no creative boundaries...anything is possible. For that they receive my thanks & appreciation.

I find it ridiculous how vivid peoples memories are 10 years ago when it comes to rs. Yes, I played rs and yes I have memories, but I sincerely can`t remember the day I created my first account or where I went after I got off tutorial island. My longest back memory was running back and forth from varrock to level 1 wild and there being a bunch of people and the excitement of attacking someone my level and running away.

I find it ridiculous how vivid peoples memories are 10 years ago when it comes to rs. Yes, I played rs and yes I have memories, but I sincerely can`t remember the day I created my first account or where I went after I got off tutorial island. My longest back memory was running back and forth from varrock to level 1 wild and there being a bunch of people and the excitement of attacking someone my level and running away.

Complains about early vivid memories

Lists his own

Tutorial island didn't come out untill late september 2002 and rune mysteries quest didn't come out untill december 2003 in rs2 beta (fully released march 2004) so I don't understand where you pulled that 10 yrs ago. 500k players on at time? thats 250 servers with avg 2000 players online on each. These stories pop up every week with so many flaws, pretty sure jagex is making way more money right now than back then.

Nukearcher.gif

Ranged 101/99, Str 105/99, Att 105/99, Hp 106/99, Def 100/70, Magic 102/99

Lists his own

I was complaining that people specifically recall the day they created their account and where they went and what they did and who they were talking to. My memory could have been a year after I started playing, all I know is it`s one of the very few I can remember. Edited by Star.
Removed insult

Lists his own

I was complaining that people specifically recall the day they created their account and where they went and what they did and who they were talking to. My memory could have been a year after I started playing, all I know is it`s one of the very few I can remember.

There is no need to resort to name-calling.

Sadly, I also realize how much different it is for me playing now than it was years ago. I don't have that happiness and excitement that I did when I had no idea what I was doing and everything was an exploration. I still play today because I have goals and I still manage to get some enjoyment out of the game, albeit not nearly as much as I used to.

Edited by Star.
Removed insult

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

10yrs ago was *after* the release of rune essence? I think not. You need to wait another 2 years before its been 10 yrs since RS2. RS2 launched in 2004, (courtesy of rs wiki).

Still, definitely a lot of nostalgia that attaches people to the way they want to remember things. I started before there was a members game. Was a very different and significantly less fun game then.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I know that feel bro.

But seriously, I remember starting Runescape when it first came out. I couldn't get enough, and even though my friends lived four houses down from me we'd get on Runescape and talk. Then if we had something really big happen to us we'd go to a safe zone in the game and run to the other person's house and tell them what happened. Then we'd run back to their house and show off in front of each other; then they or I would run back home and we'd keep playing online. It was weird, but a really memorable game from the start.

Meditation

The bad outweighs the good in my opinion but thats me...for every 1 good update there is 2-3 not so good updates and since I titled it my views they can be biased.

10 years ago 8 years ago it was still long ago my friend. Either way there's never anything wrong with corrections/criticism.

Glad to see im not the only one with diminished excitement, but its easier to see why now.

I'm of the differing opinion that there have been more good updates than bad ones. However I can see that the experience has changed for you, so we have different opinions about what makes an update good. The game is vastly superior technically speaking, and has more content that I enjoy.

But enjoyment is subjective. Besides, updates are an interesting balance. Without any updates, the game dies, because it grows stagnant fast. But with updates always comes the alienation of whoever doesn't like those updates. More things means that more is required to be "high-end" and the more high-end stuff there is, the easier it becomes to anger them by making something else high-end that invalidates all the work spent on being high-end before.

It becomes increasingly easier to make players mad at you no matter what choice you make as a devleoper. (Don't make updates, everyone quits because the game stops evolving. Make any update and players complain/quit because the game isn't the one they remember)

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Oh hey its this thread again.

Rose tinted glasses blah blah blah if its not fun don't play.

I play because maxing and then bossing is fun and I can do it while watching movies.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Oh hey it's this thread again.

Fun fact: It's not RuneScape, it's you. You've grown out of the game, it happens to all of us. Same reason I haven't watched Pokemon since school.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

This thread is both new and exciting.

As Omali said, it's you, not the game. You just got bored with it. The magic is gone. You have two options.

1. Stop whining and quit Runescape

2. Stop whining and keep playing Runescape

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

the biggest (and only) problem i have with the evolution of combat thing is that it sounds like itid pretty much take all skill out of pvp.

no switching armors and stuff? perfect rock-paper-scissors system? seems like the fight would get decided just from what setup you use, then you just pound at each other until the person with the better end of the combat triangle wins the day.

the biggest (and only) problem i have with the evolution of combat thing is that it sounds like itid pretty much take all skill out of pvp.

no switching armors and stuff? perfect rock-paper-scissors system? seems like the fight would get decided just from what setup you use, then you just pound at each other until the person with the better end of the combat triangle wins the day.

As it stands, Runescape combat takes NO SKILL. The only "skill" is clicking spec weapon -> special attack -> attack player. All the armor switching is just a race to see who can navigate the clunky interface the fastest.

If you're competing to see who can do the most monotonous amount of actions in rapid succession, we all know who would win.

When someone says "PKING TAKES SKILL" I just think of this schmuck.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I'd say something but some admin wants me banned so I won't say anything. Let your imagination run wild for what I was going to post.

As it stands, Runescape combat takes NO SKILL. The only "skill" is clicking spec weapon -> special attack -> attack player. All the armor switching is just a race to see who can navigate the clunky interface the fastest.

If you're competing to see who can do the most monotonous amount of actions in rapid succession, we all know who would win.

When someone says "PKING TAKES SKILL" I just think of this schmuck.

i don't think pking takes any particularly great levels of skill, but ANY level of skill is better than no skill at all, even if it is just about switching armors, weapons, and prayers.

and of course navigating interfaces can still be be difficult, i guess invoker is for scrubs because its all about navigating interfaces :rolleyes:.

and im pretty sure you're trolling if you are seriously suggesting that spamming a single action is remotely similar to pking.

and im pretty sure you're trolling if you are seriously suggesting that spamming a single action is remotely similar to pking.

No, it's not pking, but it will add more skill to pking. It's not even close to just "spamming one button", it's more like "spamming the right buttons at the right time". One of the design goals at Jagex is to add some skill in pking with this update.

22031_s.gif

This thread reminds me of:

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Cardboard box?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

• Like 1

No, it's not pking, but it will add more skill to pking. It's not even close to just "spamming one button", it's more like "spamming the right buttons at the right time". One of the design goals at Jagex is to add some skill in pking with this update.

have they said how they are going to do that? because it seems like the changes would just make pking less dynamic and interesting.

[hide]

have they said how they are going to do that? because it seems like the changes would just make pking less dynamic and interesting.

[/hide]
Right now, skill in RuneScape combat tends to be measured by things like how quickly you can switch between interfaces; odd features like prayer flashing; keeping your combat levels artificially low; or timing the click of when you eat food to avoid missing a hit. While those things are skilful (and I admire those players that have mastered those strange arts), none of them are about combat itself, or knowledge of combat. Theres nothing about what weapons to use and when; nothing about how to respond to your opponent in PvP - none of it relates to tactics used in real battles... and I think it should. Its often a case of being lucky, or just having the GP to buy the best equipment, which brings us nicely to our first point...

source: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/og-blog-skill-variety-and-fun

Think that is the third-to-last Og Blog.

22031_s.gif