Why PC Gaming Sucks

Faux

Piracy-DRM

uFgPC.gif

These two go hand in hand. Increasing piracy leads to worse and worse DRM. Look at Diablo 3, you need to have online connection 100% of the time to even play single player.

Lag. In. A. Single. Player. Game. Only in PC.

Expenses

PC gaming is more expensive. A console costs $300. A PC gaming should be $500 at the least. This doesn't include peripherals that usually comes with a console (keyboard and mouse = controller, etc.).

This also doesn't include the upgrades. If you have a $500 PC, you'll have to upgrade every year or every other year. Unless you're willing to play with outdated parts, and lower graphic settings. A console shelf life is 5 years on the low end. PS3 has been out for 6 years now. A $500 PC would've had to upgrade every other year at least spending $200 at that time. That's $600 for upgrades. But people who take gaming seriously replace their PCs every 3-5 years anyway.

Bugs / Glitches / etc.

The best part of games in consoles is that developers have an idea what every console user will be using. PC gamers have different set ups. What works with one video card, might not work with another. And with differing RAM. And with differing CPU. And with differing OS. And with differing drivers.

You have an entire community trying to deal with every stupid fix for every game http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

It's Less Comfortable

Playing on a console on the couch > Playing on a table with keyboard/mouse.

For people who think that hooking up a PC on an HDTV makes it better, look at this guide:

resolution_chart.jpg

"Graphics" or at least the difference between current consoles and PC games are irrelevant if you're playing a game stretched across a 40" TV because they're both playing in the same resolution. HDTVs don't magically allow PCs to output higher resolution than consoles (1080p). To take a complete advantage of the "superior" PC graphics, you need a monitor because HDTVs don't allow higher resolutions. Let's say the average TV size today is 42" and people put their couch about 10 ft away from the TV, 720p is actually good enough. You spent more for the same graphics, congratulations.

It's Less Social

People can come over and play on a console. PC gaming requires you to have another PC or the other person to bring another laptop or computer.

Just my opinion, but LAN parties look depressing as hell.

lan6.jpg

"Please kill me"

rock-band-game.jpg

Now this is a party

Crappy community

PC gamers delude themselves into thinking PC's gaming community is somehow superior. It's not. At least console gamers can be imaginative with what they call you. PC gamers insults is noob, and whatever deviations you can make from it e.g. n00b, [bleep]ing nub, etc.

Borrowing games / Instant play

You can't borrow games anymore. Game publishers are so hellbent on piracy that they'll just ban you for sharing games. This includes the PC gaming's paradise called Steam.

Consoles let you plug in and play games. PC games require you to go through a painful task of installing games.

////

I'm not saying console gaming is better. But to say PC gaming is vehemently "superior" is just an announcement of how ignorant you are. They're both different experiences. It's just up to your preferences.

Inb4shitstorm

That said,

It's just up to your preferences.

This is probably the truest thing in the post. They're a different experience with different audiences. Action games fit the simpler controls of consoles, more complex games don't work on anything but PCs. PC games have better technology behind them, console games are more friendly with smaller social games. In the end it just depends on what you have fun with.

If you need me, I'll be over there, playing Skyrim on my PC before playing Dark Souls on an Xbox... It seems that gamers as a whole spend so much time complaining about games that you have to wonder where we find the time to play them :razz:

I think what everyone is getting at here is that there's no point in drawing up some kind of turf war between PC gaming and console gaming here. For almost everyone who's into gaming, they're not in competition.

I still think you should go to a LAN party before discrediting them, though. There is a reason they are popular, despite the effort to set up.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Some good points made about the downside of PC gaming but also a lot of bad points made as well.

PC gaming is expensive yes, however most people who put the money into a gaming PC don't just play games on it. Work, school, media, internet browsing, and countless other things benefit from a fast PC. If you were to only include the extra costs payed to boost a PC you would normally use to a gaming PC it really isn't overly priced. Also you don't need to upgrade every 1-2 years. My current setup is nearing two years old and it can still play every game on the market at best graphic settings.

Also to your point about console gaming being more comfortable; I'd just recommend getting a really nice leather office chair. Comfort shouldn't be a problem then and besides it's really all just an opinion, sometimes it is more comfortable laying back on a couch but often times I'm more comfortable sitting at my desk.

As for graphics, I won't go into it much but you've missed the whole point about textures, shaders, physics, etc. Graphics does not equal higher resolution, there's a lot more than that and when consoles are stuck on a 2 generations ago graphics card you will see a difference with PC games.

Lastly, please don't bash LAN parties until you've actually been to one, they can be an insane amount of fun and the picture you posted just doesn't do them justice at all.

That being all said I do agree with the points you made about DRM and bugs/glitches. Those are both some of the downfalls of PC gaming but I find don't honestly impact my gaming experiences very much. Same thing with installing, if that is a difficult process than you have to be doing it wrong. Maybe it's just because I worship Valve and their Steam platform as much as the next PC gamer but installing and buying games has never been so easy or cheap. Why should I need to borrow a game when I could support the developer for less than $20 most of the time.

A good PC will offer overall a better gaming experience, at least for single player. An expensive enough PC will run games far better then consoles. Games like Diablo are a stupid example on why PC gaming sucks, considering that last time I checked, Diablo is a PC exclusive game. (Also, major apologies if it isn't.)

Certain games play better with a mouse and keyboard, just like certain games play better with a gaming controller. However, a PC can GET a gaming controller. A console can't really get a mouse, and using the joystick to move a pseudo-mouse is a poor substitute.

I have half a mind to start my own thread called Console Vs PC Gaming - Pros and Cons. PC vs Console depends on how much money you want to spend on gaming, how good you are with computers and what kind of games you want. I played Dragon Age 1 on the PC, and I cringe at imagining playing that game without a mouse. PC probably has the biggest range of games, since it would get pretty much all 360 games as well as PC exclusive games, which include pretty much all MMOs.

I'm not actually a PC gamer or anything. There are advantages consoles have over PC, and there are advantages PC has over consoles. Neither one is better then the other. I'm basically just playing Devil's advocate here. I have a PS3 and play Skyrim on it, as well as black ops with friends or online. Although you can get those on the PC, neither of those are really feasible for me to play on the PC - my laptop certainly isn't good enough for Skyrim, and my friend and I don't both have good enough PCs for black ops or an FPS shooter game like that.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It's such a stupid argument....pc gaming has its positives and negatives, just like console gaming. Personal preference is all there is to it.

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

These two go hand in hand. Increasing piracy leads to worse and worse DRM. Look at Diablo 3, you need to have online connection 100% of the time to even play single player.

Consoles don't even get those games. So, even with lag in a single player game, having that game > not having that game.

Expenses

A PC gaming should be $500 at the least.

That isn't true. You can get a PC with specs above current gen consoles for 300$, if you'd care to look for it.

This also doesn't include the upgrades. If you have a $500 PC, you'll have to upgrade every year or every other year.

That is also not true. A PC I bought 3 years ago for nowhere near $500 can run most games nowadays.

Unless you're willing to play with outdated parts, and lower graphic settings.

Newsflash: These "lower graphic settings" on PC are the equivalent of console settings. So yeah, if you're willing to play with outdated parts, you might have to play with console graphics. Is that a problem? No.

Bugs / Glitches / etc.

The best part of games in consoles is that developers have an idea what every console user will be using. PC gamers have different set ups. What works with one video card, might not work with another. And with differing RAM. And with differing CPU. And with differing OS. And with differing drivers.

You have an entire community trying to deal with every stupid fix for every game http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

That's a hyperbole if I've ever seen one. Most "common" problems are fixed by patches shortly after a game is out.

It's Less Comfortable

Don't spout opinion as fact. And don't pretend that you can only play on a PC monitor and kb/m with a PC, when you can hook it up to any display and use a controller if you so desire.

For people who think that hooking up a PC on an HDTV makes it better, look at this guide:

"Graphics" or at least the difference between current consoles and PC games are irrelevant if you're playing a game stretched across a 40" TV because they're both playing in the same resolution. HDTVs don't magically allow PCs to output higher resolution than consoles (1080p). To take a complete advantage of the "superior" PC graphics, you need a monitor because HDTVs don't allow higher resolutions. Let's say the average TV size today is 42" and people put their couch about 10 ft away from the TV, 720p is actually good enough. You spent more for the same graphics, congratulations.

No current gen game runs at 1080p. They run at 720p upscaled to fit whatever resolution your display is. Viewing distance is highly dependant on your setup, but a cheap PC running at medium graphics will easily work just as well as a console when hooked up to an HDtv, so I don't see your point.

It's Less Social

People can come over and play on a console. PC gaming requires you to have another PC or the other person to bring another laptop or computer.

You're right, it's just your opinion. It is a fact that multiple people playing on the same console have the setback of having to sacrifice screensize in order to do so, oftentimes close to 50% of the screen, while on PC you don't have to. Most sports and party games for the pc also have the option to hook up multiple controllers (including emulators).

Crappy community

PC gamers delude themselves into thinking PC's gaming community is somehow superior. It's not. At least console gamers can be imaginative with what they call you. PC gamers insults is noob, and whatever deviations you can make from it e.g. n00b, [bleep]ing nub, etc.

Cool generalizations, poor point.

You can't borrow games anymore. Game publishers are so hellbent on piracy that they'll just ban you for sharing games. This includes the PC gaming's paradise called Steam.

On the other hand, I can buy 4-packs of games on steam for half the price of a console game.

Consoles let you plug in and play games. PC games require you to go through a painful task of installing games.

I'd hardly call is painful, and it feels you're just grasping at straws with this one. It's exactly the same process consoles use when installing games on the HDD to speed up loading times.

////

I'm not saying console gaming is better. But to say PC gaming is vehemently "superior" is just an announcement of how ignorant you are. They're both different experiences. It's just up to your preferences.

Depends on your definition of "superior".

• Like 1
crossed_body.png

consoles are so good I don't even have to make 15 threads and drive my same point in to the ground (which is wrong) 400 different times.

wait a minute...

consoles are not, never were, and never will be remotely close to any thing of decent hardware.

you are wrong

PC is superior in every way shape and form

and most importantly:

the ps3 has no games

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

consoles are so good I don't even have to make 15 threads and drive my same point in to the ground (which is wrong) 400 different times.

wait a minute...

consoles are not, never were, and never will be remotely close to any thing of decent hardware.

you are wrong

and most importantly:

the ps3 has no games

PS3 has some good games.... I like consoles and I like computers. Buy both. Any "hardcore" gamer will have consoles and a pc. End of discussion.

PC gaming has far, far better communities. It obviously depends on the game, though. If you play MW3, runescape and maplestory, yeah, you're going to meet a lot of idiots. (You're also going to meet a lot of cool people that have poor taste in games)

PC gaming has so much potential that is ruined by consoles. Consoles are where the money is at, so most blockbuster games are created with consoles in mind, leading to a buggy port. It should be the other way around, but primarily because of price and usability, consoles are always going to bring PC gaming down.

PC gaming has player modifications, this is to do with the huge freedom you get as a PC gamer, and links in with the awesome communities. Sadly, some of these are used for multiplayer cheating, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons when you get such fun game changing mods such as the ones for just cause 2 and half life.

A gaming computer can also be used for many other things including home entertainment and work, which brings down the investment a little as you need a computer for these anyway.

Indie games are amazing and most of them are only for the PC, not only this but some games ONLY work on the PC. (Can you imagine Dwarf Fortress for ps3?)

Steam is awesome and saves you $100s, further narrowing the cost different between console and PC. (Obligatory mention of the possibility to pirate.)

Some of your arguments are valid, you can't have the best of both worlds, but PC gaming definitely has huge advantages over consoles.

CNqWHdA.jpg

[spoiler=These posts]

wait a minute...

you are wrong

and most importantly:

the ps3 has no games

Huehuehuehue i get it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(its funny because PC gaming is better :grin: )

P.S nice games, ps3

[spoiler=This post]

Consoles don't even get those games. So, even with lag in a single player game, having that game > not having that game.

Expenses

A PC gaming should be $500 at the least.

That isn't true. You can get a PC with specs above current gen consoles for 300$, if you'd care to look for it.

This also doesn't include the upgrades. If you have a $500 PC, you'll have to upgrade every year or every other year.

That is also not true. A PC I bought 3 years ago for nowhere near $500 can run most games nowadays.

Unless you're willing to play with outdated parts, and lower graphic settings.

Newsflash: These "lower graphic settings" on PC are the equivalent of console settings. So yeah, if you're willing to play with outdated parts, you might have to play with console graphics. Is that a problem? No.

Bugs / Glitches / etc.

That's a hyperbole if I've ever seen one. Most "common" problems are fixed by patches shortly after a game is out.

It's Less Comfortable

Don't spout opinion as fact. And don't pretend that you can only play on a PC monitor and kb/m with a PC, when you can hook it up to any display and use a controller if you so desire.

No current gen game runs at 1080p. They run at 720p upscaled to fit whatever resolution your display is. Viewing distance is highly dependant on your setup, but a cheap PC running at medium graphics will easily work just as well as a console when hooked up to an HDtv, so I don't see your point.

It's Less Social

You're right, it's just your opinion. It is a fact that multiple people playing on the same console have the setback of having to sacrifice screensize in order to do so, oftentimes close to 50% of the screen, while on PC you don't have to. Most sports and party games for the pc also have the option to hook up multiple controllers (including emulators).

Crappy community

Cool generalizations, poor point.

On the other hand, I can buy 4-packs of games on steam for half the price of a console game.

I'd hardly call is painful, and it feels you're just grasping at straws with this one. It's exactly the same process consoles use when installing games on the HDD to speed up loading times.

////

Depends on your definition of "superior".

Both of them basically say PC is better. One of them is written intelligently and actually makes points and responds to points.

The other two posts are idiots saying PC is better for absolutely no reason.

I disagree that PCs are superior to consoles. I probably disagree with Crossed Body. But I can actually debate with him, as opposed to listening to idiots spouting over and over again that PCs are better without any supporting arguments whatsoever.

Onto what consoles have over PCs, which I hope only crossed body responds to, since he's the only person I've seen saying "PC is superior" while actually including reasons WHY PC is superior as opposed to a trollish response saying consoles suck.

Consoles have simplicity to them. You go to the store, you buy a console, you go home. You buy a game, you know it will work for your console because it's for your console. You don't have to build a custom PC or spend effort shopping to find a very good PC. I also have significant difficulty imagining buying a PC for as much as a console that actually be able to play all the new games for as long as the consoles do; I especially doubt that you can do this very easy, as opposed to just buying a console. From personal experience, you generally put in more effort into installing PC games as opposed to console games - you have you say "I agree" several times and generally enter a product key. Minor point, but with console games, after you do the equivalent of clicking "ok" it's either installing or done installing, not waiting for user input. It's significantly more difficult to mess up installing a PC game as opposed to a console game.

PC can game as well, if not better then consoles, but they require more time and/or money to do so. Some people don't want to do this. A large reason behind me getting a PS3 was that I could get a PS3 for Christmas, whereas I couldn't get a computer. Ignoring the fact that the reason behind this was my parents quirks, I can put a PS3 on my Christmas list and my parents can get me one if I want. Buying a PC is much more complicated then buying a console.

Please keep in mind, even if these reasons do not apply to YOU personally, does not mean that these reasons are insignificant. In the PS3 vs 360 thread, there was a highly unintentionally ironic post from someone saying PC is better, and the only reason he gamed on a console was because it was easier to do. He doesn't need to worry if a game does or does not work, and because getting the games installed are easier.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

PC gaming has so much potential that is ruined by consoles. Consoles are where the money is at, so most blockbuster games are created with consoles in mind, leading to a buggy port. It should be the other way around, but primarily because of price and usability, consoles are always going to bring PC gaming down.

It does work both ways though; I sold a bunch of console games before/after buying them through Steam, and there are blockbusters where the console gets the buggy/inferior port (Basically anything from Valve, Bioware, or Bethesda). Ideally, neither system should get an inherently worse port (Why would a developer want to alienate half of their audience?), but it's not all stacked in the console's favor there.

I'd also like to suggest that the lack of profit to be had on the PC has more to do with piracy at this point... I prefer PC gaming but it's not the utopia that everyone makes it out to be. It has its flaws (GASP!). Both of them do. It's just that they both also have some very nice advantages as well :razz: .

I've had this debate/discussion with many of my friends and overall I agree that PC gaming probably has more disadvantages than advantages.

Some Commentary on Points raised in this thread:

Costs and Performance

There is no debate here. PC gaming is just strictly more expensive as mentioned. A $500 PC will give you a machine with very modest specs that will only be able to barely run new games for a year or two. You could future proof yourself for about 2-3 years by dropping closer to $1000, but it simply pales in comparison to consoles. The PS3 when released brand new was around $600-$700 and was hailed as an expensive monster, but that same money could buy a perhaps slightly above average gaming PC (and at the time with no blu-ray player). PS3s were also interesting for a while in that you could slap Linux on them and just use them as a computer (I think they changed the firmware to disallow this?)

In addition to the bug and glitches that may exist for all of the varied PC configurations, developers are also better able to optimize their game for their hardware. There are no graphics settings you configure on a console (other than like subtitles or blood) simply because developers code their game to be as good as possible on one hardware setting. This lends to consoles having such good performance despite having dated hardware. Newer games like BF3 when compared to their PC counterparts still look quite stunning and for a fraction of the cost.

PC gaming is expensive yes' date=' however most people who put the money into a gaming PC don't just play games on it. Work, school, media, internet browsing, and countless other things benefit from a fast PC. If you were to only include the extra costs payed to boost a PC you would normally use to a gaming PC it really isn't overly priced.[/quote']

The upgrade priority for a gaming PC is generally GPU>CPU>RAM>Everything else. However unless you're a graphics designer or do a lot of video/audio processing, you generally won't need a brand new CPU/GPU, the two most expensive parts. My 5 year old computer can use an office suite, browse the Internet, and play media completely fine and I'm sure a computer with even half the specs would also suffice. It's just that work/school/casual stuff does not require very much at all. Having a 6870 to watch Netflix is total overkill.

Crappy community

This is a very half-baked and weak argument imo. I can guarantee you that PC community is just as capable of slinging colourful slurs at you (Just play some League of Legends in low elo) :P.

That aside, I don't really see the point of what you're trying to say here. Are you suggesting that we are a crappy community because we apparently regard ourselves as better gamers? I don't follow the logic in that. Even if we go by that standard, we have pretty much the same sort of grudge match between PS3 and Xbox. So in that regard, both communities are equally crappy.

Modability

PC users do have one indisputable advantage though; flexibility. Games can be modified on the PC, unlike the console. Source engine games are a perfect example of this. We have a good number of high quality free mods for a plethora of different games.

Looking past that, there are community made texture packs for certain games like Skyrim and Oblivion or custom UIs for games like WoW. PC gamers have the unique advantage of having a great deal of flexibility in how they want to play a certain game.

Scale

I find that PC games are also played on a much larger scale than consoles. You can hook up two or more Xboxes and have a decently sized group to play Halo, but rarely will you ever find a game on the console that supports huge slugfests like 64 player maps in BF2 or 25 (or even 40) man coordinated raids in WoW.

Control Scheme

I'm biased in this regard (well with most of these points really) in that I absolutely cannot use analog sticks proficiently to do just about anything. The keyboard and mouse is provides so much more finesse in terms of aiming/key selection, which is why you'll probably not see large scale RPGs or complex RTSs on a console any time soon.

And as already brought up, you have the option to play most of your games with a controller now (a lot of recent games are just console ports anyway now, the control schemes being a very obvious giveaway) on the PC, but the converse is almost never true.

Buying Games

While piracy leading DRM is certainly very annoying, the nice thing about PC gaming is that price points for a lot of them are actually quite low now. Many console gamers seeking to save money will buy/sell their used games to places like Gamestop, cutting all support to the developers. This has actually led to some forms of "incentives" to buying a game brand new, like the Cerberus Network for ME2. It's not quite DRM, but it does go to show that consoles do have a similar issue to deal with.

Steam sales often make games so low that I will often buy them even after pirating them.

These aren't arguments for which is cheaper/better, but I know if I want to support the developer, it appears to be cheaper to do so.

I disagree with the notion that pc gaming is inherently more expensive than console gaming. While a gaming PC certainly almost always costs more than a console, a console is often superfluous to your normal expenditure, whereas a pc is not. Pretty much everyone has a need for a computer, so much of the cost of a "gaming PC" is eaten up by the normal PC cost of ownership. I spent $1500 on a "gaming pc" more than two years ago, but I also use it as a main computer (splitting duties with my laptop, and it will eventually take over once my laptop dies), so I didn't really spend $1500 on gaming. Probably only $300 of that cost was gaming specific. Of course, consoles also function as DVD players, but in this day and age any computer will as well, and it's a minuscule portion of the cost.

Also, two years later, I still haven't found a game that my PC won't run (I can run Skyrim on maximum detail, for instance, with no lag), and I haven't upgraded anything on it (I did replace the PSU because it burnt out but that wasn't an upgrade).

polvCwJ.gif

I disagree with the notion that pc gaming is inherently more expensive than console gaming. While a gaming PC certainly almost always costs more than a console, a console is often superfluous to your normal expenditure, whereas a pc is not. Pretty much everyone has a need for a computer, so much of the cost of a "gaming PC" is eaten up by the normal PC cost of ownership. I spent $1500 on a "gaming pc" more than two years ago, but I also use it as a main computer (splitting duties with my laptop, and it will eventually take over once my laptop dies), so I didn't really spend $1500 on gaming. Probably only $300 of that cost was gaming specific. Of course, consoles also function as DVD players, but in this day and age any computer will as well, and it's a minuscule portion of the cost.

Also, two years later, I still haven't found a game that my PC won't run (I can run Skyrim on maximum detail, for instance, with no lag), and I haven't upgraded anything on it (I did replace the PSU because it burnt out but that wasn't an upgrade).

You could've bought a regular PC for $500. That means the PC gaming premium you paid is close to $1000. That's a $700 disadvantage.

Hello Squab

Every "reason" has been posted directly at moron#88458573 (OP) in the last 63? threads he's used the same moronic argument which has been shot down, at last count, 63 times.

I have a spare moment here so

1. Consoles are overpriced, inferior technology, next gen will be even more overpriced, just as inferior technology.

2. PCs play games better, goes with technology.

3. It's easier to get a massive collection of PC games cheaper than it would be on console, this is without factoring in pirating.

There was a few other things OP mentioned that was just mindless rambling that don't even deserve a response.

You could've bought a regular PC for $500. That means the PC gaming premium you paid is close to $1000. That's a $700 disadvantage.

That "PC gaming premium" bought him hardware that will last for the next 5 years and will most likely be superior to the next wave of consoles already.

crossed_body.png

desiring an intelligent response requires the one desiring to be intelligent

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Consoles have simplicity to them. You go to the store, you buy a console, you go home. You buy a game, you know it will work for your console because it's for your console. You don't have to build a custom PC or spend effort shopping to find a very good PC.

That is true.

I also have significant difficulty imagining buying a PC for as much as a console that actually be able to play all the new games for as long as the consoles do; I especially doubt that you can do this very easy, as opposed to just buying a console.

I agree that it might be difficult for some to plot a PC that can play all of the new games for as long as the consoles do, but it doesn't require all that much learning, really. Consoles have a fixed hardware from nearly 6 years ago, and unless you want all the bells and whistles like x16AA, highly detailed shadows, physics and water graphics, you can get a console-like experience (with better controls and customizability) for extremely cheap.

From personal experience, you generally put in more effort into installing PC games as opposed to console games - you have you say "I agree" several times and generally enter a product key. Minor point, but with console games, after you do the equivalent of clicking "ok" it's either installing or done installing, not waiting for user input. It's significantly more difficult to mess up installing a PC game as opposed to a console game.

That is a very nitpicky point. Or an invalid point, if you use steam. Installing games on steam is as complicated as double clicking the game's name and waiting.

PC can game as well, if not better then consoles, but they require more time and/or money to do so. Some people don't want to do this. A large reason behind me getting a PS3 was that I could get a PS3 for Christmas, whereas I couldn't get a computer. Ignoring the fact that the reason behind this was my parents quirks, I can put a PS3 on my Christmas list and my parents can get me one if I want. Buying a PC is much more complicated then buying a console.

In the end, most of your points come down to accessibility and knowledge.

And well, all it comes down to is: how much are you willing to learn and dedicate to your hobby? You can't really call yourself a "gamer" (a term which I have come to despise) if you don't put more than the bare minimum effort in order to maximize your playing experience.

Learning how to put together a decent PC isn't hard. Patching isn't hard. Pirating isn't hard. You have to learn these things, yes, but you'll get a much better experience as a reward for your efforts.

crossed_body.png

But I wouldn't have, because a $500 PC is not good enough to do what I require a PC to do (outside of gaming). So for me, like I said, about $300 was gaming specific, which is the price of a console.

polvCwJ.gif

I only buy games for my XBOX atm that are exclusives. If it's multi-platform, I'll get in on PC. I disagree with you on comfort, I prefer sitting up right some times. And to be honest, when you get serious in a game on console, you slouch forward, similar to how you would if you were on a PC. This point in pretty irrelevant I think.

And I completely disagree with you on LAN parties, they are so much fun. And Team Fortress 2 at a LAN party would amazing.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

PC more expensive, even though console accessories are expensive (and you can ONLY use them to game) and require paid online?

Console has 1 use, PC has multiple?

23076446.jpg

EDIT: Oh, mods and grand strategy games! :lol:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

EDIT: Oh, mods and grand strategy games! :lol:

Now if olnly 90% of mods weren't garbage... :twss:

Don't get me wrong, I like game mods and even tried/failed to make one or two, but just looking through the Steam Workshop for Skyrim... It's unpleasant. The good mods are definitely worth sifting through the crap, though :thumbup: