Why PC Gaming Sucks

Faux

Like I said, I can play Skyrim on maxed settings. Is there another game with superior graphics you'd like me to test?

Skyrim is also a console game. One of the biggest flaws it was criticized for was being too console centric.

Try Crysis. Came out 4 years ago. Max it out (with 1920x1080 resolution at the minimum) and then take a screen shot and post it here.

Crysis 1 & 2, done max.

Battlefield 3 Ultra, done with a GTX 480. ALL 1920x1080. I'd gladly take a screenshot but I refuse to re-install Origin after I did a OS reinstall and Crysis were cracked.

Oh, and thats with 70FPS.

Oh SNAP. Dx9.

Too bad Dx11 is out.

And yet it still performs just as good as DX11 in its own way...

Popoto.~<3

Faux. you just went from showing you know very little to showing you know nothing.

Not sure why you're still grasping at straws, nothing you've said (from the start, mind you) has made any sense or had any credibility, just stop lol.

I'm a 4th year compsci student. This is like teaching high school programming to kids (i.e. you).

What's your creds? Oh right, you don't have a console. Cool story bro.

Credibility doesn't actually lend credence to the points presented themselves. If Bill Gates says deleting system32.dll makes your computer better at playing games, him actually saying that, despite his credentials, doesn't actually make what he says true.

...Have you SEEN the the insane amount of resources TF2 devours? sure it has its cartoon-ish style to the characters, but it is FAR from being outdated.

This could be more of a game design/engine optimization thing than actual intensiveness. Diablo II will max out resources on just about any modern machine. Why? It was designed in an era where computing power and resources were scarce so developers coded it such that it was greedy about requesting resources and tried to max out CPU usage as much as possible. This of course hasn't been changed so it still exists today.

Crysis 1 & 2, done max.

Battlefield 3 Ultra, done with a GTX 480. ALL 1920x1080. I'd gladly take a screenshot but I refuse to re-install Origin after I did a OS reinstall and Crysis were cracked.

Did you seriously just jump into a convo you had nothing to do with and act like you zinged me?

Crysis 1 & 2, done max.

Did you seriously just jump into a convo you had nothing to do with and act like you zinged me?

I jumped into a convo, to get through the mind of a narrow-minded retard such as yourself, there are far too many variables for you to point the stick at PC and go "yeah, PC suck, consoles rule"

Honestly, The way you argue is something I expect from freaking 4Chan of all things.

Popoto.~<3

I jumped into a convo, to get through the mind of a narrow-minded retard such as yourself, there are far too many variables for you to point the stick at PC and go "yeah, you suck, consoles rule"

Honestly, The way you argue is something I expect from freaking 4Chan of all things.

Lol. So you're obviously clueless that one of the people on your side of the argument had to correct you and yet, I'm the retard. K.

There isn't even an argument going on anymore, everything OP has said has been corrected and now he's just trolling

I'd just stop if you don't want a troll war

I jumped into a convo, to get through the mind of a narrow-minded retard such as yourself, there are far too many variables for you to point the stick at PC and go "yeah, you suck, consoles rule"

Lol. So you're obviously clueless that one of the people on your side of the argument had to correct you and yet, I'm the retard. K.

Well all things considered, even if he was of a certain intelligence level, it really should have no bearing on your own intelligence level. It would be cool if we held back on that sort of language though.

Well all things considered, even if he was of a certain intelligence level, it really should have no bearing on your own intelligence level. It would be cool if we held back on that sort of language though.

Can you talk again about how developers cannot take advantage of current hardware? My most favourite bit of information ever.

The fact that you're all still going at it after him basically saying "this is all a poorly executed troll" is kinda' funny

I have to admit that I'm finding it hard to stay on the console-defending side, since I'm not actually sure what we're arguing about anymore.

Why are people so hellbent of the console vs PC part?

I'm just clearing up misconceptions about pc gaming. I don't care about consoles, I just use it to frame my argument. I don't even play games that often.

I never said they "cannot take advantage of current hardware". I said they can't make the most out of it. How do you do that? You program all of your stuff to work exactly for that piece of hardware and then take steps to exploit every bit knowledge you have.

You can't do that with PC gaming.

Biggest example of this is Blizzard. They lean towards cartoonish graphics because more people can play it on their PC. Valve is also guilty of this. Just look at their most popular games (Tf2, Dota 2, Portal).

Playing TF2 and bragging about how PC has superior graphics is like a midget bragging about his height.

That seems to be more about the art style than making games accessible.

Nope. From now on every time you see a cartoon-ish game, just call it lazy coding. "Real life" graphics is more expensive to produce and too resource intensive for the average person's computer.

There's lots that has been said, but I have to disagree with this.

It's not "real life" graphics that are intensive. I can make a psedu-2D cartoony game that takes advantaged of modern hardware, including things like deferred rendering (using OpenGL 4.0 "A-buffer" techniques), shadow mapping, volume lighting, so on and so on... and make it still look cartoony! Do you know what it even takes to develop a game? I'm doubting it.

Games are not as a result of "lazy" coding if they're in a cartoon style.

As far as this console vs PC discussion is concerned, the only feature I like about consoles (from a developer's perspective) would be that you know if your game runs on your testing Xbox, it will run on 99.99% of Xboxes out there (I'm using the Xbox as an example, mind you)). The exception are Nintendo's consoles in this "only feature," but that's besides the point. PCs are just so much better in allowing a game to express itself to its fullest.

Can you talk again about how developers cannot take advantage of current hardware? My most favourite bit of information ever.

To be honest, from a developer standpoint, I would love to take advantage of DirectX 11/OpenGL 4.x hardware (on the graphics frontts). But the sucky thing is, that's not going to sell a game. DX11/OGL4 capable hardware is only a handful of years old. While this helps develop your "argument," I just wanted to point that out.

One more thing:

Faux. you just went from showing you know very little to showing you know nothing.

Not sure why you're still grasping at straws, nothing you've said (from the start, mind you) has made any sense or had any credibility, just stop lol.

I'm a 4th year compsci student. This is like teaching high school programming to kids (i.e. you).

What's your creds? Oh right, you don't have a console. Cool story bro.

I'd put the acronym of "laugh out loud" here. But I can't stand it. This post both upsets me and makes me pity you and your ego.

I may not be a "4th year compsci student," but I've done much more than you in games development as far as I can tell. I'm not talking about bullcrap "GameMaker" or Flash or CLICK AND DRAG either, but rather, interfacing with the barebone graphic and runtime APIs, but it console-exclusive (GX for the Wii) or just general-purpose (such as OpenGL or DirectX for the PC, Win32 for Windows, etc). You can blabber all you want about your "creds," but whatever you can say I can propose it's BS (or figure it out...from your previous posts). Being a "4th year compsci student" means little besides being in reach of a piece of paper.

ozXHe7P.png

There's lots that has been said, but I have to disagree with this.

It's not "real life" graphics that are intensive. I can make a psedu-2D cartoony game that takes advantaged of modern hardware, including things like deferred rendering (using OpenGL 4.0 "A-buffer" techniques), shadow mapping, volume lighting, so on and so on... and make it still look cartoony! Do you know what it even takes to develop a game? I'm doubting it.

Games are not as a result of "lazy" coding if they're in a cartoon style.

Crytek was the ideal developer. They pushed the envelope when they produced Crysis. It had the most realistic graphics at the time. Did that make Crytek successful? Nope. They just couldn't market it to most people. In fact, they went from producing realistic games like Crysis to focusing on F2P games with more cartoonish graphics. If I can use their words,

Look around, look at the younger generation! When I see my nephews, they have never bought a game in their lives; they don't play on the PC at all, they have iPads. In 10 years' time, none of these guys will be buying PC games, they won't be buying console games. Those are the guys who play games. Naturally, very visibly in the next generation, the consoles will have a problem, because unless they reflect the lifestyles of this generation, you can't get them on a console. That's why I'm very vocal about this. I don't think there will be another hardware generation beyond the next one. That's why I'm building Gface.

http://www.guardian....w?newsfeed=true

At the end of the day, majority of the consumers don't care that much about graphics. It seems to have plateau'd for now that there's an "that's good enough" level. They're no longer pushing the envelope. Is it wrong I call that lazier?

World of Warcraft for example still uses a variation of the WC3 engine. That's more than a decade old, and yet it's still the most popular online game.

Diablo 3 is the fastest selling PC game. But it still looks like this

follower-enchantress01-large.jpg

And their recommended specs are parts that came out in 2008/2009. So what exactly is the point of bragging about how PC gaming is superior when even developers don't take advantage of it?

being in reach of a piece of paper.

I still can't believe I got trolled into saying that. But I'm trying to talk this out in layman as much as I can. But please don't think I pretend to be a video game designer. I did not study to make video games, lol. Talk about limiting your potential. I'm speaking from a player pov ;)

I think this is the best real life example I can use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o921p4TIzH4&hd=1

Watching this in 1080p and all it shows is that there's no significant advantage to the PC version.

There's definitely a noticeable difference in all of them in no matter whatever resolution.

But please don't think I pretend to be a video game designer. I did not study to make video games, lol. Talk about limiting your potential. I'm speaking from a player pov

Condescension aside, the points that you brought up are not your typical player opinions. Calling cartoony graphics as lazy programming is not something you can justly criticize about a game if you can't base that opinion on something. Your average player does not have a good understanding of how games are actually coded and implemented and what determines if something is "intensive".

Going back to your argument about Crysis, their marketing was fairly good. Everyone raved about how gorgeous the game looked and that itself carried itself into the minds of a lot of consumers. Where did they fail? They released the game ahead of its time. Few people had the hardware to adequately reach the maximum potential of the CryEngine. That, along with an overall fairly generic game with wonky enemy AI and awful vehicle mechanics, was a large part of Crysis's lacklustre performance.

Crytek is used to this though. Almost the exact same thing happened with Far Cry. They seem to be less of a company that produces good games and more of one that produces top notch game engine.

Curious that you would sought a need to edit a number of your posts.

There's definitely a noticeable difference in all of them in no matter whatever resolution.

But please don't think I pretend to be a video game designer. I did not study to make video games, lol. Talk about limiting your potential. I'm speaking from a player pov

Condescension aside, the points that you brought up are not your typical player opinions. Calling cartoony graphics as lazy programming is not something you can justly criticize about a game if you can't base that opinion on something. Your average player does not have a good understanding of how games are actually coded and implemented and what determines if something is "intensive".

Going back to your argument about Crysis, their marketing was fairly good. Everyone raved about how gorgeous the game looked and that itself carried itself into the minds of a lot of consumers. Where did they fail? They released the game ahead of its time. Few people had the hardware to adequately reach the maximum potential of the CryEngine. That, along with an overall fairly generic game with wonky enemy AI and awful vehicle mechanics, was a large part of Crysis's lacklustre performance.

Crytek is used to this though. Almost the exact same thing happened with Far Cry. They seem to be less of a company that produces good games and more of one that produces top notch game engine.

Curious that you would sought a need to edit a number of your posts.

I wish you'd actually read thoroughly instead of just browsing through. If you read the link I just posted, you'd know that Crytek is focused now on F2P games. They just said they're not making "premium" games anymore e.g. Crysis or Far Cry. I know you've refused to do this the whole time, but try to read between the lines: they weren't making money making those games. They'd rather make lesser quality F2P games because they think it would make more money.

And you just supported my point again. Crytek produced a top notch game and it tanked. While PCs do have the advantage of having superior technical details, it doesn't actually play out that way in real life. It's just some point PC gamers use to say "see? PC is better" while playing a game that could be played on a console.

Also, can you veer away from trying to psychologically analyze me? It's kind of pathetic coming from a guy who writes about Runescape.

Hello Squab

Every "reason" has been posted directly at moron#88458573 (OP) in the last 63? threads he's used the same moronic argument which has been shot down, at last count, 63 times.

I have a spare moment here so

1. Consoles are overpriced, inferior technology, next gen will be even more overpriced, just as inferior technology.

2. PCs play games better, goes with technology.

3. It's easier to get a massive collection of PC games cheaper than it would be on console, this is without factoring in pirating.

There was a few other things OP mentioned that was just mindless rambling that don't even deserve a response.

When I saw some of your earlier posts on this thread and the 360 vs PS3 thread, you came across as a troll to me. As this thread went on, I saw you making more and more intelligent statements. After seeing all the posts Faux made, and how this thread derailed into him arguing with everyone regardless of where they stood on the console/PC argument, up to the point where I don't think most people even understand what the argument is about, I must apologize to you. It seems very likely that the OP is either a troll, stupid, or both.

A final note... I've said this before. I think most people can agree that PC offers a better gaming experience. To a "gamer" or whatever you want to call it, PC is probably better then console. That being said, most gamers will likely own a PC and a console or two anyways.

Consoles have the small advantage that you can buy a console and be done with it, without much research into the console. It's more accessible to people who don't want to put research into it or do much gaming. Overall, I think people with enough knowledge about the subject would choose PC.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I'm not going to lie. I was sort of joking around when I started this thread, but then again I didn't realize how upset some people will get over this subject. This is probably the most pointless serious argument I've ever come across, lol.

You know they're just games right? :mellow:

I think people got upset the most at my jib about LAN parties. Too funny.

I'm not going to lie. I was sort of joking around when I started this thread, but then again I didn't realize how upset some people will get over this subject. This is probably the most pointless serious argument I've ever come across, lol.

...I'm pretty sure this post proves that you've been trolling, considering the last page or two of arguments seemed to be you vs the world.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

...I'm pretty sure this post proves that you've been trolling, considering the last page or two of arguments seemed to be you vs the world.

But I'm not though. My opinions might be unpopular but again this is a forum for a PC game.

I wouldn't write those down if I didn't actually believe them.

Was it the lan party joke? Damn. That's kinda sad lol.

But I'm not though. My opinions might be unpopular but again this is a forum for a PC game.

I wouldn't write those down if I didn't actually believe them.

Was it the lan party joke? Damn. That's kinda sad lol.

You said it's a pointless argument, and the last page or two was basically everyone arguing against you. I would like an explanation on why you persist in what you consider a pointless argument?

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

I think it's a bit low to make a thread like this. Everyone has opinions and it looks like this thread is as low as the computer gamers that were trying to push their opinion down our throats.