Inb4 Jagex makes us view adverts daily for an SoF spin.

DRUMINATOR17

IDK, Wtf just happened, or if this old news, but in a quick skim of page 1 I didn't see it, and clan had no idea what I was talking about...so....here it is:

===

I had just completed Circus for this week, and received my bonus SoF spin from it...So I use it, get and claim a thieving lamp, when I noticed a button below the 'buy more spins' or w/e button. The button was labeled 'Earn free spin'.

So I click on 'Earn free spin' and it basically popped up and advertisement for the Axe bodyspray deodorant line of products that we all know. It stayed on the screen for 30 or 45 seconds and had a timer count down the whole time. Obviously I didn't wanna watch it so I tried to click the 'back' button on this advert, leading me to receive a "Are you sure you want to forfeit your free item?" message.

So I hung out the final 20 or so seconds to recieve my spin, after clicking continue to have it take me back to the game/SoF it had the SoF "prize you won" screen showing as if I had just won Queens Royal Legs or w/e they are called. I tried to claim this item, and it wouldn't let me since, "I have no prize to claim".

So I just clicked play again, and used that "Freely earned advert spin" and won 20 gold ore.

===

So I ask you this, did I somehow see this to early / while they are still testing this? (Hence the wierd shit with the queens royal legs)

Or is this gonna be showing up tomorrow or sometime rather soon? (Viewing an advert a Day to earn a free bonus SoF Spin?)

• Like 1

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

I'd say...considering that you did watch the advert, your inb4 is not.

As for the nature of this - I can't say I'm surprised. In exchange for a player's immediate want of self-gratification, they are willing to watch a simple advert for another shot at some free stuff. Seems like a win-win for both parties involved...until you dig deeper into what the company said about doing this very thing.

What a bummer.

• Like 1

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I'd say...considering that you did watch the advert, your inb4 is not.

As for the nature of this - I can't say I'm surprised. In exchange for a player's immediate want of self-gratification, they are willing to watch a simple advert for another shot at some free stuff. Seems like a win-win for both parties involved...until you dig deeper into what the company said about doing this very thing.

What a bummer.

Eh, technically I didn't watch it per say, as much as I saw it. It wasn't really a video ad you would see before a YouTube video, just a picture advertisement with a counter attached to it, so ya I flipped back over to play Monopoly Millionaires. Lol.

But ya, again, despite most 'die-hard' gamers/rs'ers hatred/dislike of SoF, paired with everything you mentioned about the win for both parties involved, its hard to be surprised by this.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

I don't mind watching an ad for another SoF spin. Maybe they'll add it to F2P soon, as I haven't seen it there.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yeah, this has been around for a few weeks already (and at least been mentioned in another thread, if not already having a dedicated thread), so inl8. Also, no one is "making" you do anything - you don't have to push the button to watch the ad for a spin.

And hey, if another ad generates more revenue for Jagex to keep the game running, I'm cool with that.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I have been offered it once, and I have never been a member. I was told to watch an ad, turned out to be a Cartoon Network ad, then was offered a free dragon ceremonial cloak (my first SoF costume piece). Like you, I tried claiming, but wouldn't let me, so I exited the window. when going back on the SoF page, I was forced to roll again, grabbing a agility small lamp instead (members only, of course).

This only happened to me once, so I'm not sure what Jagex is pulling here, but it's surely not finished right now, as the "fake prize" bug seems to happen often (seeing that both me and OP got the same bug).

22031_s.gif

Never had the offer, guessing you won't get it with adblock installed?

Who knows, given Jagex weird javascripts and junk. I had to strip the "?j=" parameter at launch to get rid of some unwanted background analytics. Like, what were they thinking when they outsourced to Wildtangent, eh? :mad:

It's like OMGPOP.

I've heard of that place. I'll file this under "potential bad news"... <_<

Look on the bright side: If they forced an ad on us every time we wanted to play with the free spins, I'd bet that quite a few people would stop doing it.

It's worse than that... It could trigger a whole new wave of anti-advert scripts and styles. Sure, good for those who want their privacy and bandwidth back, but could equally trigger an assault attempt by Jagex, and we really don't need that. :?

~D. V. "Ugly junk, ain't it?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

If the advert is within the java client then adblock will do bugger all as you've already allowed runescape to run.

• Like 1

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I doubt they are short on cash if they have a tank, brand new offices, and are paying celebrities to come play and dance.

Of course, I could be wrong and they are mismanaged like 90% of other big companies out there. (too many employees, way too many middle managers, and meetings all day because talking about what you are going to do is always better than doing it... :rolleyes: )

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

and meetings all day because talking about what you are going to do is always better than doing it... :rolleyes: )

lol. wanted to type a longer response to your post but i have to go to a planning sub-meeting to discuss the agenda for tomorrows proper meeting.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

OP clearly doesn't grasp the concept of "inb4". We all knew this was coming for a while now.

I, for one, refuse to watch any commercials for a free spin. It just feels dirty and I know I'm being exploited.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I doubt they are short on cash if they have a tank, brand new offices, and are paying celebrities to come play and dance.

Of course, I could be wrong and they are mismanaged like 90% of other big companies out there. (too many employees, way too many middle managers, and meetings all day because talking about what you are going to do is always better than doing it... :rolleyes: )

Exactly my greatest fear, that somehow all this extra funding isn't being funneled into development at all. We'll never know though.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

and meetings all day because talking about what you are going to do is always better than doing it... :rolleyes: )

lol. wanted to type a longer response to your post but i have to go to a planning sub-meeting to discuss the agenda for tomorrows proper meeting.

Geez, guys... You remind me of this Dilbert comic I read some time back... :wall:

~D. V. "Knowing the hilarious-but-stupid feeling..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)